Love is mental.

Love is mental.

Soojung woke up on Hwa-Young’s bed alone. She slowly stood up and walked to her old reliable backpack. When she was taking out a shirt, she suddenly felt a presence behind her so she quickly turned to face the girl.

“You finally woke up” Amber commented, drying her still wet hair with a towel.

“I slept well” The younger softly said. Since what happened yesterday, Krystal was left kind of hoping that Amber would take her back, but at the same time she knows how badly she screwed up and expected nothing from the tomboy, still, the harshness in Amber’s words made Soojung’s heart sink in sadness even more.

“Great because we’re leaving” The older said, walking to the drawer and pulling out a pair of keys.

“Where to?” Krystal asked, furrowing her brows.

“To Busan” The other simply said as she inspections the keys.

“Why?”

“Because I’m taking you home and retrieving my remaining clothes and stuff”

It only took one sentence to break Soojung’s world apart. She thought that their kiss and embrace that they shared through the night could’ve made the tomboy think about her decision again, but after this she knew that her goofy and sweet Amber was gone.

Krystal didn’t hesitate, in fact, she didn’t say a word after that comment. She silently sat on the Camaro, looking through the window, accepting her defeat. On the other hand, Amber was cursing herself for actually personally taking her to Busan, she knew the ride was long and still thought this was a good idea, but not until they were sitting in silence, regretting every single one of their past actions.

“You didn’t have to do this…” Soojung finally broke the silence but still with her eyes glued on the window.

“You’re right. I didn’t have but I am, so consider it pure courtesy”

“I mean, you didn’t have to push me away like this… driving me to our house so you can get rid of me and not confront your feelings? Now that’s sick”

“That house is only yours, don’t try to make me feel sorry”

“It was ours, Amber”

“Nothing was ‘ours’ in this relationship”

The air tensed up as the ‘former’ couple started fighting, Soojung this time, looking straight at Amber’s side profile.

“Don’t look at me liked that, Soojung” Amber adverted.

“You never broke up with me” The younger quietly uttered, almost making it inaudible.

“What did you say?”

“I said YOU never broke up with ME” The words resonated in the tomboy’s head and made her blood boil as the ice-looking girl tried to make a point.

“, you stabbed me! Who in their best judgement thinks that after a ing stab they are still in a relationship?!” The older raged.

“But we were getting married, Amber!”

“And yet you managed to that up too”

By this time, the younger was crying, the tomboy was raging and the road was even longer. They couldn’t bear to be one beside the other without trying to slice their necks with harsh and sharp words. After that steamed argument, nobody spoke a word until they arrived to Busan.

“Give me five minutes to bring all my stuff out” Amber said, walking to the master bedroom as they entered the mansion.

Soojung couldn’t help but to get flashbacks of every single moment they spent here, it was like when she entered a room, memories where triggered. She slowly paced through the first floor of the big house, running her fingertips on every furniture, inhaling the soft strawberry scent she left with a tint of Hwa-Young’s grapes. Melancholy took the best of her and her eyes got glassy and her vision blurry as she started to picture her life without the tomboy and the little girl. She followed her beloved’s trail and made it to the master bedroom as she saw Amber’s back, the girl hardly inside of their closet.

Once the tomboy retrieved what she had, she exited the closet and put her stuff on the bed as she approached a broken Krystal.

“Here” The other simply said, handing the younger a little black box.

“Amber, no…” Soojung pleaded as she recognized the style of the box and knew what the content was.

“I bought it for you… and I really think you should have it” The older said, still reaching out for Krystal to grab it.

“I don’t want it. Not if you’re going to leave me like this” Soojung said, tears running down her cheeks.

“Then I guess I’ll have to get rid of it” The tomboy just finished uttering the words when Krystal’s right hand connected with her left cheek in a thunderous slap.

“What the , Soojung?!” Amber yelled in pain as she put her left hand on her cheek.

“One thing is you not wanting to be with me and refusing to marry me and a complete other to treat me like this, Amber Liu! That was so uncalled for” The ice princess raged.

“And what the do you care?! Let me do whatever I want with my !” Amber snapped back, yelling with the same intensity Krystal did.

“I don’t care what you want to do with your , but just don’t say you’ll get rid of the ring in front of my face like that to hurt me!”

“Hurt you?” The short haired girl asked, astonished. “You have no idea how much this hurts me but yet here we are again making this all about you” She said, painfully.

“Well, I don’t get to know how much it hurts you because you just keep pushing me away and treating me like !”

“, Krystal!” Amber cursed and collapsed on the floor with her head between her legs as she sobbed uncontrollably.

By this point, Soojung knew what all of this was about, since she first met Johnny Liu and since he told her about Amber’s past she knew that the tomboy only used her overprotectiveness as a mechanism to stop the younger from getting in trouble just as she got herself in trouble when she was younger. Amber’s inability to know how express concern and worry only did what she knew to do the best: try to control Krystal.

“Hey…” Soojung softly said, sitting next to the crying tomboy. “I know I didn’t make it easy for you… but you need to understand that we weren’t ready for this relationship” She cooed Amber, gently pulling her to a warm embrace. “Johnny told me everything, Am. I know you had a gang and I know you did illegal stuff you’re not proud of… but listen baby…” She continued trying to calm the short haired girl who never broke like this in front of her, rubbing her back. “I can see how you’ve changed… I know you don’t want to control me anymore and I don’t want to give you a hard time by going around and putting myself in trouble. We don’t have to end like this… in fact, I think this is the beginning instead of a tragic ending”

“I’m sorry…”

“Shh, don’t worry Am. I’m the one who’s sorry because I ended up to be the villain in this story… I ended up being the one ing us up every time… and I was afraid, hell, I was terrified of falling in love with you this way because I knew I had to give up on everything and everyone just to be with you… there was no other way, baby. I knew it was impossible for us to be a happy family if my father was still alive, I knew it was impossible for us to stay together if I didn’t experience this grief… I knew we were impossible but still wanted to try… and I made you pull through horrible stuff, I stabbed you, almost shot you, said horrendous things to you in hopes that you would forget about me and leave me to death once and for all, but you never did… you never did and I never expected you to be so sure of wanting to be with me, you didn’t run when encountering the smallest inconvenience, you stayed until the storm was over and even after that I managed to make your life a living hell” Soojung explained her feelings as burning tears ran down her cheeks.

“I love you, Amber Liu…”

“I love you, Jung Soojung”

The couple stayed like that for a long time, crying in their embraces, burying their faces on each other’s chests and healing each other’s hearts. What once went down in this mansion was now being repaired by Soojung’s tender words and actions towards Amber.

 

 

 

 

Fast forward 2 years.

“Hwa-Young don’t run with that!!!” Amber yelled and ran after her five-year-old to retrieve the grass clippers she was holding.

The family was waiting for Luna to come to the mansion with her little boy Donghyeon. It was the baby’s first birthday and Krystal and Amber decided to convince Luna to make the party in Busan, where all of their friends were. Soojung came from the kitchen holding a tray of sandwiches as she saw her beautiful daughter run after the tomboy, threatening to cut her with the grass clippers. She chuckled and sighed.

“Hwa-Young, sweetie, leave her alone” The mother commanded and in a matter of seconds, the toddler put the clippers down and approached to her.

“Omma, is baby Donghyeon coming today?” The little girl asked, hugging her mother’s legs.

“Yes, it’s his first birthday and we’re celebrating here” Krystal explained to her amused little girl.

“When can it be my birthday again?” Hwa-Young asked, pouting, to which Soojung chuckled and shook her head.

“Your birthday was just last month, silly” She said, put the tray of sandwiches on the small picnic table and reached for her daughter’s head, planting a kiss on her forehead.

“Coming!” Amber said upon hearing the doorbell and ran to open the door.

“Welcome to the party!!” She yelled as she swung the door open, causing little Donghyeon to burst into tears form the sudden action.

“Great, you made him cry on his first birthday” Krystal mocked, coming from the back.

“I don’t know how Hwa-Young survives living with this beast” Luna said, rolling her eyes trying to comfort her son.

“Fine then, I’ll be outside playing with Hwa-Young since you all want to be hostile. Specially you, Donghyeon” The tomboy said and exited the room.

After all the madness that happened two years ago, Luna spent more time getting to know Victoria. The guardian stopped working as such thanks to the cleaning of Jung’s company which was now being ruled by Soojung. After that she opened a cafeteria just a few minutes from the Jung girl’s mansion and invited Luna over when she had free time. They got used of their company and admitted to start dating six months later. When the time came, Luntoria started living together and planned everything for them to have a baby. When Luna told the Kryber couple she was pregnant -thanks to invitro- Soojung was kind of jealous that she never got to experience pregnancy with Hwa-Young but still wanted to be happy for her friend.

“If you told me just three years ago that we were going to be in my kitchen trying to comfort your little boy, I would’ve never believed it” Soojung said.

“Tell me about it… I never thought I was going to be engaged to your useless guardian neither” Luna mocked, showing off the ring on her left hand.

“No way!!” The younger hyped to which the tanned girl nodded in satisfaction.

“Congratulations!!” The latter squealed and hurried to hug Luna and her calmer baby.

“Don’t tell Amber, I want to be the one who tells her” The shorter girl adverted and Krystal nodded.

“Coming!” The tomboy said once again as she heard the doorbell, running to open the door.

“Hey! Come in!” She greeted their guests.

Wendy, Seulgi and Irene made their great entrance in the house, making Luna and Soojung come to greet them too. After the incident with Wendy’s building, Krystal payed for the reparations and made sure no one was to ever touch that building again, gave the therapist four men for protection and hired and installed the best security tech in the country. As for Seulgi and Irene, they also adopted a little girl who they named Yerim that was only one month younger than Hwa-Young.

“Omma, is Yerim here?” The toddler came running from the yard, covered in mud to check if her friend arrived.

“Hwa-Youngie!!” Little Yerim said, running to encounter her dear friend, but upon seeing her all dirty, she refused to hug the girl. “Ew, but I don’t like you dirty” She said, shrugging her nose.

“Kang Yerim! Be kind” Irene scolded her daughter and the toddler nodded as she gave her friend a forced hug.

“I can’t wait for them to be in their pre-teens” Amber mocked and everyone chuckled nervously. It was no secret that the toddlers really loved each other, but they were also one step away from chocking each other to death.

“Let’s go outside, I made us some sandwiches while we wait for the hot dogs” Krystal invited the crowd to the back yard, where Yerim and Hwa-Young were already playing.

“I can’t believe we’re about to celebrate this big boy’s birthday” Amber said, gently ruffling the baby’s hair, Luna and her standing on the exit to the yard, looking at everyone minding their business.

“I can’t believe this worked out in the end…” The now mother said, sighing.

“They say life is full of surprises” The tomboy added.

“Who’s my momma’s boy?” Victoria said, as she entered the house with no warning.

“Hey, we were waiting for you to start the grill” Amber greeted the former guardian.

“Great, I’m starving”

The now big family sat on the picnic table enjoying their sandwiches and hot dogs as the afternoon sun started slowly setting. They chatted and shared their latest stories to catch up. When the baby was asleep and the girls were playing in Hwa-Young’s room, the adults sat on the beach chairs near to the small bonfire, drinking a glass of red wine.

“This is so relaxing” Luna commented, resting her head on Victoria’s shoulder.

“I can get used to doing this more frequently” Krystal agreed, mimicking Luna’s action and getting closer to her fiancé.

“Wait, we’re the only ones that are married, right? Ugh that makes me feel old” Irene complained, holding her wife’s hand.

“That’s super romantic baby, thanks” Seulgi joked and the others chuckled.

“Yeah, Amber. How come we’re not married by now?” Soojung attacked.

“Chill, princess. I still need to convince my mom and sister to come to the wedding” The older gulped while scratching the back of her neck.

“So… I guess you haven’t told them yet…” Victoria said, looking at her girlfriend.

“Nope” Luna responded and stood up from the chair as she cleared . “Ladies, Victoria and I are engaged” She announced as she showed the ring to the crowd.

“Yeahh!!!”

“Congrats, girls”

“So romantic”

“Wow, I’m so happy for you, Lun!” Amber said, standing up to hug both her ex and Victoria.

“Thanks, ”

“Omma!!! Yerim says I can’t be the mom because I’m the mistress!!!” A crying Hwa-Young interrupted the beautiful moment, followed by an angry Yerim.

“What?” Amber asked in confusion.

“Oh my God, Kang Yerim!” Irene shouted as she ran to get her daughter and punish her for her words to which Hwa-Young laughed.

“Hey! Don’t laugh, she did wrong but we shouldn’t make fun of other people, Liu!” Krystal shouted and came after her daughter as well.

“Great, you woke the baby up” Victoria said as she approached her crying son to comfort him. And with that, only Seulgi, Amber and Luna were left outside.

“And here we are” The tomboy said, taking a sip of her wine and the other two girls followed.

“I thought Hwa-Young had Soojung’s last name” Luna commented.

“Yeah, she does. Krystal calls her a Liu when she does bad stuff only” The older replied, taking another long sip of wine.

“They’re crazy” Seulgi said, admiring the scene of their lovers running around the house, trying to catch their kids.

“You know what they say, right Am?” Luna said, eyes glued on the scene too.

“Yeah” Amber sighed. “Love is mental”