Jung's chronicles pt. 2

Love is mental.

“One more time Soojung, c’mon” Jung encouraged his daughter.

After the little encounter with Johnny Liu, the family spent the rest of the night in the hotel, now, one month later, Jung was training Krystal on kickboxing to improve her self-defense. Soojung was a prodigy when it came to martial arts but she never realized it until she had to use the force, like that one time when she needed to rescue Amber from his father’s hostile claws. Jung rented a hotel room big enough for them to train, all they have to do is move away the center table and they are ready to go.

“Great, love. Let’s take five” Jung said, heavily breathing and wiping the sweat off his forehead.

“So, when are we supposed to be hitting the road?” Soojung asked, cleaning the sweat off of her face with a towel.

“The game starts at 9, we need to get going at least at 8 to fully register the perimeter” The man said, sitting on the bed.

A day ago, Jung received information about a man that was supposedly attending a Laker’s game, that man was allegedly involved in the whole ‘bankruptcy’ thing, meaning that the Jungs were having a lovely father-daughter hunting time.

“It’s 7, I better shower” Krystal said and disappeared into the bathroom.

When they were all set, the family drove to the Staples Center that was half full already. Before getting out of the car, Jung handed Soojung a Lakers cap and put his on.

“Remember the rules: always stay in touch and if you see anything weird you got to notify me” The father said and his daughter nodded.

“Oh, and Soojung” He said before Krystal stepped out of the Mustang. “Here. Use it ONLY if you need to” He finished, handing her a new pocket knife.

The family got out of the car and they nodded for one last time as they parted ways. Soojung was in charge of the left perimeter and Jung of the right, they entered the center with no trouble and registered the zone for any weird activity. They roamed their eyes all over the people passing by, checked every man in coats and in caps, looked for any sign and they found nothing. The game started, Lakers vs Chicago Bulls, everybody was in their seats and Jung was getting more and more impatient as time passed by.

“You’ve seen anything” He texted Soojung.

“Nothing unusual… what did they tell you he looked like?”

“They didn’t give details but they said Caucasian man, green eyes and a distinct silver tooth”

“Oh my God, I got him. Section 104 between 4 and 5, check it out”

Jung looked up to see a ridiculously tall man, even if he was sitting, he could tell the bastard was almost 7 ft tall. He squinted his eyes to have a better look of his face and…. Yes, there he was, talking with another guy. As he spoke Jung could notice the little spark his silver tooth had, so he quickly texted Soojung back, telling her to proceed with the plan.

Krystal went to the snack bar and ordered a large soda, then she made her way to the man’s section and pretended to pass by the spectators to find her seat, when she made it to the man’s seat, she purposely dropped her soda all over the guy’s jeans.

“Oh my God, so sorry…. I’m Korean, went to enjoy game sir… so sorry” She faked a Korean accent as she tried to wipe the soda off of the man’s jeans.

“Don’t worry, it’s okay miss” He said and excusing himself with the other guy, he headed to the men’s restroom. Upon seeing this, Krystal automatically look to her father’s way and winked, Jung got the message and proceeded to follow the man into the restroom.

“ing ” The Caucasian said, rubbing a napkin against his soaked jeans.

“What did you call my daughter?” Jung asked and as the man turned around to face him he connected a punch on his face.

The man fell to the floor unconscious, Jung sighed and rubbed his temple. “This wasn’t supposed to happen” He faintly said as he dragged the body to a stall.

“What did I miss?” Soojung asked, nonchalantly entering the men’s restroom.

“Your judgement maybe? Get out of here!” The father commanded but Krystal didn’t move a muscle.

“But I don’t want to miss all the fun” She pouted, Jung rolled his eyes and jammed the door so nobody could enter while they were in. Five minutes after, the silver tooth woke up and tried to rush to the door but Soojung greeted him with her pocket knife.

“The Korean girl….” He said.

“I’m Soojung, what’s your name?” Krystal innocently asked.

“Get the out of my way!” The Caucasian shouted.

“Weird name huh, are you from Finland or something?” She asked once again, fidgeting with the tip of the knife.

“Who’s your boss?” Jung incorporated to the conversation, leaning his back against one of the stall’s door, arms crossed.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about” The man said, sweating like crazy.

“I know someone hired you and some of your friends to frame me, to leave me broke” Jung said, approaching slowly to the nervous man. “If you play nice, I might let you live, how does that sound?”

“Hey, who locked the door??? I need to enter…. Please” A voice said, outside of the door.

“Look man, all I know is the last name…. I didn’t do anything personally, all I was asked to do was to move some numbers and accuse you of things you actually did” The silver tooth said.

“You don’t know me, kid. Give me the name” Jung demanded, grabbing the shaking man by his shirt as he couldn’t reach for his collar, even though he is almost 7 ft tall he is such a scaredy-cat.

“C’mon dude, I just ate a hot dog with extra chili… you gotta let me in” The man outside the restroom insisted.

“I work for Jung… that’s all I know” The man said, looking down to the father.

“For me?”

“Not you, Jung”

“I am Jung, you ignorant piece of ” Jung exclaimed while letting go of his shirt.

“But how can he be working for you…?” Soojung asked, walking closer to her dad.

“This got to be a joke, you can’t work for me. Tell me the real name!” The father lost it, pushing the Caucasian’s back on the wall.

“That’s all I know, they never let us see their face… that’s all I’ve got”

“Tell me where can I find them” Jung commanded. The Caucasian reached to his pocket and the family hoped for the best, but instead of pulling out a gun he popped a pill in his mouth as he started convulsing while foam got out of his mouth.

“Are we in the ing fifties?” He said, watching as the corpse hit the floor.

“Cyanide? Really?” Soojung asked, she wasn’t surprised at this point.

“This is a show, we need to get out of here” Her father said, collecting all of the evidence of them being there.

“Can I go in now? Please man, it’s an emergency”

“Knock yourself out” Jung said, opening the door and reveling the dead body as he walked out of the room.

The family left the game with a score board of 36-40, the Bulls had the advantage and not only the Lakers were losing, but Jung was worse than when he started. It was easier for him to think that another college was trying to get on him than to think that there was someone out there from his family trying to ruin him. Could it be a cousin? An uncle? He thought as he walked side by side with his daughter.

“Where’s mom?” Krystal asked, getting in the car and taking off her cap.

Jung didn’t reply, instead he just turned the Mustang’s powerful engine on and drove to a familiar place. He couldn’t manage to tell Soojung that at this point her mother could be dead, she turned into a crackhead after all, all it takes is an overdose and she would be kissing her life goodbye. As much as they fought in the past, Jung still cared for Jieun, but he couldn’t call her, not after she decided to leave Krystal alone, not after she made him sign those divorce papers and not after she disappeared for good, without even saying goodbye. All he knew about her was thanks to his informants, men that hid their identities to work on Jieun’s side but were actually notifying Jung of every breath she took.

Jung parked the car in a local bar, the place looked wrecked, like a shack that’s never been repaired. He motioned Krystal to get out of the car and she followed him as they entered the dusty cabin, Jung found his usual spot on the bar and Soojung sat beside him.

“You didn’t answer my question” She insisted.

“There’s no point of doing it, because I don’t know where she is. Did that make the difference?” He emotionlessly said.

“You haven’t heard of her?” The ice-looking girl asked.

“Can I have a tequila shot?” Jung asked the bartender. “She never contacted me, I had to have men look after her” He added, tilting the shot in his mouth.

“Hit me with some whiskey” Soojung said.

“Didn’t know you liked whiskey” Her father said, intrigued.

“You know nothing about me” She said, gulping the shot, a burning sensation running down .

“There he is” They heard a man said while a bunch of other men approached the family, Jung stood up and got ready to fight when one of the men jumped on top of him. “If it’s not Jung Beomsoo!” He yelled while ruffling Jung’s hair as if they were close.

“No way….” Jung chuckled as he fixed his clothes and hair. “Hajoon ‘Bruce’ Lee”

“In flesh” Bruce Lee said, opening his arms for Jung to hug him. “Long time no see, amigo” He added, patting Jung’s back.

“Long time no see”