ELEVEN

The Love Forgotten
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

STRICTLY NO PEEKING OR ELSE YOU WILL PERISH. OH AND BY THE WAY, I SUGGEST Y'ALL TAKE A DEEP BREATH FIRST!

 

THREE YEARS LATER

 

The clouds dominate the sky with growing patches of blue. As little daylight diffuses from the clouds, it offers shades of grey in the sky with a chilly breeze in the morning. The gloomy sky covered a vast green acre of land, populated with gravestone of different sizes and shapes, where the dead were laid to rest, and where we are welcomed back home. The place was filled with tranquility in a world of turmoil and commotion. From across the area, two figures can be seen standing before a tombsone.

 

"Mama, why are we looking at a stone?" The smallest of the figures spoke to the woman beside her.

 

"This is where we commemorate the dead, honey." The older girl ruffled the hair of the child beside her, grinning softly as she admire the little one's beauty that bear so much resemblance from her father.

 

"What's under this huge stone, Mama?" When the younger girl asked, her mother flinched but faced the girl with a smile, gently caressing her face.

 

"Under that is the person that I loved. You weren't born yet when he was buried but he also loved you very much." Minjoo squatted down to meet her daughter's eyes on level. With tears from the corner of her eyes, she kissed the girl's forehead and embraced her daughter.

 

THREE YEARS AGO

 

Time of death, 10:43pm.

 

Minjoo and Wonyoung cried their hearts out hearing what the doctor just said. Removing herself from the younger girl she crawled her way to her lover's bed, cupping his cold face with both of her hands.

 

"S-saku! No! P-please don't leave me like this." Minjoo's tears flow endlessly across her face while her hands try to shake Saku from the state he is currently in. She desperately shook the lifeless body hoping for a miracle and when there wasn't, she slumped herself on her lover's chest bawling her eyes out.

 

*beep*

 

PRESENT TIME

 

Two figures approach the mother and daughter who were caught up in the moment of their embrace.

 

"Unnie!" An approaching tall frame waved her hand to the mother which made the other two look and give them a wave back on their own.

 

"Wonyoung! I'm glad you could make it, and you too, Yujin." Minjoo stood up from her previous position and stanced herself to receive a tight hug from the pair.

 

"Of course, we would never forgive ourselves if we miss this day." They broke the hug apart and chuckled together while glancing at the gravestone below them with a sad smile.

 

"He'll make sure to haunt you if you did." Minjoo jokes around earning a slap from the younger girl, but despite that, it couldn't brush off the sorrowness in their brown pool of orbs.

 

Remembering the presence of a tiny person, Wonyoung bends down to give the little girl a hug.

 

"I missed you, you little cutie." Wonyoung says as she pinch Evelyn's cheek lightly to show her some affection, while the other two adults watch over the two babies conversing each other, they decided to make a conversation on their own.

 

"How are you holdin' up?" Yujin eyed the brunette, he knew that it's already been three years but that doesn't necessarily mean that the beauty is no longer in pain.

 

"Doing well, I just miss him sometimes, although things would've been better with him by our side but I'm managing." Minjoo gives the lad an assuring smile to let him know that she is really doing well.

 

"Are the others coming?" The brunette looks from behind the younger guy, searching for other signs of people headed their way.

 

"Yeah. They said they're on their way." And coincidentally, when Yujin finished his sentence, they heard a voice calling them.

 

"Oyy!" It was Yehan dragging along his daughter and Yuri walking behind him. Behind them are Chanwoo and Hitomi holdings hands, Eunbi and Chaehyuk with the girl clinging on his arms, and lastly Nako and Hyeseok bringing a few picnic baskets with them. Aside from the couples, their kids are also following along in one straight line.

 

The crew greeted each other with hugs and began chatting idly while the kids play around the area. When Hyeseok looks around, he noticed that they were missing somebody and so he asked.

 

"Where is he?" He walks closer to the beauty and asks as he hands over a bottle of water. Before the latter could answer, the sound of her daughter's yell echoes across the cemetery.

 

"Papa!" Evelyn ran away from her friends to meet a young man closing in on them. The moment they met, the lad raised her up and pulled her closer, engulfing the kid in a tight hug.

 

"Saku!"

 

THREE YEARS AGO

 

*beep*

 

Everyone in the room whips their head at the direction of the heart monitor and was surprised to see it picking up a light heart rate.

 

A nurse quickly pulls Minjoo away to get her out of the room and sets her aside while the doctor prepares to pump the heart, rolling his sleeves to his arms and positions himself over the patient's chest.

 

The brunette was dazed and confused as to what was happening. She clearly knew that the sound must mean Saku's heart is beating again so she gripped her hands tightly together, praying for the life her lover as the doctors pump away.

 

After a few minutes of waiting, the beeping of the monitor have finally steadied in an interval pattern while the doctor wiped the sweat on his forehead with his arms, signalling the end of the critical moment. The doctor then faced Minjoo and Wonyoung who stood up immediately from where they were seated to ask about the condition Saku was in.

 

"H-how is he, doc?" The older girl looks at the doctor with her hands clasped together and pleading eyes. As if begging for the doctor to say that Saku is okay.

 

Seeing that, the doctor exhales a sigh before speaking.

 

"The patient is currently stable now but he will be under tight monitor. After what happened, it's a miracle that he is still alive. We need to do the operation as soon as possible." The doctor looks at the patient one last time before turning away from the beauty who clutched her chest and slowly sunk down on the floor, crying in relief when she knew Saku was going to be okay. Wonyoung too have been crying but was still quick to aid the pregnant woman who dropped down on the cold floor, hard.

 

PRESENT TIME

 

Minjoo ran towards her husband and child to envelop the two in a hug, earning a chuckle from the guy.

 

"You said you wouldn't make it!" She whines when she pulled away but still giving Saku a quick peck on the lips.

 

"Well, I dreamt of grandpa last night. I think that's his way of telling me that he would haunt me if I didn't come here today." His eyes linger on the gravestone slightly away from them and lets out a soft sigh.

 

"Come on, the others are waiting for you." The younger drags her lover to the others with their daughter in his arms, who was busy playing with his hair.

 

"Hyung!" Yujin walked to meet the older one half way and greeted him with a quick hug and a pat on the back.

 

"I would've punched you if you made Minjoo here worried about you again." The younger guy crossed his arms over his chest to show a certain seriousness of what he just said but Saku only responded with a laugh as he ruffles his har.

 

"Yeah. Yeah. I know you will." He said and went on to greeting the other nine. Saku works three hours away from their home resulting to a much lesser time with his family. He temporarily transferred there to help with the operation as they are expanding the company and there is no current assurance of when he'll transfer back.

 

The bride worries over the safety of her husband every time he travels to and from work so she insisted on having him rent a unit and live there during the weekdays. Saku was defiant at first but after almost being caught in an accident, he reluctantly agreed afterwards. He often spends time with his family during the weekends and today is an exemption, it was friday and he had a hard time getting off from work but after cramming the night before, he was able to clear his time today.

 

Every year, they visit Saku's grandfather during his death anniversary, the grandfather of Saku was close to the group seeing as he was always the one to initiate for the group to come together. Even when he was busy and exhausted from work, he would always find ways to spend time with them.

 

They treasured every moment with Saku's grandpa because not only was he very kind and understanding, he was always the go-to person of each one of them, his grandpa was also the one who rooted for the now wedded couple when they were on the verge of breaking up during their college days. Aside from that, when he heard about his grandson's engagement, he insisted to be the one standing on the aisle along with the groom as they waited for the bride.

 

However, as the wedding closes in, they had a change of plan and the wedding was pushed back from the target date. His grandpa was admitted to the hospital and they were more than willing to wait for him to get better so that he could attend. But as fate may play it, he didn't make it.

 

Flashback

 

All twelve of the gang were gathered in a coffee shop with an aura of sadness looming over them. Saku heaves a sigh to get the attention of the whole crew sitting along with him.

 

"We all know what's gonna happen, right?" The grey haired guy voiced out hesitantly but he knew it was the truth, he earned nods from his friends. As much as they hate to admit it, they knew there's no way to go around it.

 

"I really can't believe that he won't make it." Minjoo sniffled a bit, leaning against her lover's sturdy shoulders for comfort.

 

"Yeah." The Japanese replied downheartedly and reached out to place his hands over hers.

 

"We should do something to make him happy, you know, like something memorable?" Yehan, as the happy pill that he is, offered his thoughts to the rest of the gloomy figures with him which made the rest of them look at him with confusion.

 

"What? If he's going, we should make him go in style, right?" The blond guy shrugged his shoulders while Eunbi's gears were turning up inside her head.

 

"Let's spend the day with him!" The eldest blurted out as an idea came rushing inside her.

 

"You know, let's play games and the likes of which!" She finishes with a gleeful face, already excited of what may happen.

 

"Yeah! Yeah! Let's also have a big meal prepared to eat together!" Yehan adds.

 

The others were confused at first but soon after the two had expounded what they meant, eagerness floods all over them. They started planning the things that they could do inside the hospital room that the poor old guy was confined in.

 

The eldest among the guys looked around him and had a smile plastered on his lips that meant he was glad to have friends like them.
 

 

Morning came and the group started cautiously coming in Saku's grandpa room one by one. They tiptoed themselves in and decorated the room as silent as they can be to avoid waking up the patient. Soft noises of shuffling papers and plastics together could be heard clearly but not to the ears of the sleeping patient. At least not enough to wake him up.

 

When the patient stirred from his bed and opened his eyes, he was greeted with twelve smiling faces hovering over him. His eyes widen at first but softens as soon as he saw the familiar faces of the kids he has grown to love.

 

Over the years, Saku would always bring his friends at the park near their house and once they have gotten acquainted, the old man would wait for the kids everyda

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter