Chapter 2

Through Space and Time: Denouement
Please log in to read the full chapter

WHAT the hell am I doing? Last night I was determined to come here, I even left the house with a firm decision. 

During the four hour drive I managed to ignore the calls and texts sent by the members. I had one destination in mind, and I needed to get there urgently. 

Like that mysterious girl in the dream said, time is running out, and so I drove here like a madman. I sigh softly as I spot a sign with Boseong's emblem on it, and I have to ask myself the same question once more. 

"What the hell are you doing Byun Baek Hyun?" A bit of fear sets in as I find myself driving along the wet road, I have no idea where I'm going, but at the same time, I feel like I know exactly where to go.

The tea fields on either sides fof the road don't even fascinate me, I hit the gas pedal as I speed up. I find myself driving further into the mountains, I drive until I come upon a point where my car can't go.

With a dejected sigh, I grab my phone and exit the vehicle, a track lies before me and I decide to walk the path. I realize that the buzzing has stopped, and it's then that I also realize there's no service in these parts. 

Of course there isn't, I'm in the mountains for Heaven's sake! I don't let that stop me though, somewhere along this path I'll find the answers to all my questions. 

As I continue along, I notice that the rain has stopped, the skies are still overcast though, and everything feels weird as hell. But I can't stop now, I need to know everything; I need these dreams to go away so I can go back to living my life.

"You have got to be kidding me." Among the flora and fauna of the mountain lies a small house, the trees leading up to the front yard are decorated with bright colours.

That mysterious girl did say that I should find the shaman. "I've lost my mind."

I look around the yard as I contemplate whether or not I should take any further steps. I look at the small house again, there are numerous boxes lined up on the small porch, and books are stacked on top of each other.

Maybe I should just turn around and go back to Seoul, if Mom ever found out that I drove all the way here to see a shaman she'll be mad. Not even that, if the company were to know what I'm doing then I'll be in so much trouble.

F**k it, I'm going home.

I turn around quickly and hurriedly make my way out of the yard, "you're late." I freeze in my tracks, I have two options at this point, I can turn around, or make a mad dash to my car.

I decide to turn around, it would be a waste of time to drive here and not get some answers. A woman who seems to be in her thirties stare back at me, she looks me up and down then dumps some bells in one of the boxes.

"You're late," I nod my head at the repetition.

"I'm sorry," why am I even apologizing? "I shouldn't have taken so long."

She nods her head, "the person you're looking for is no longer here."

I furrow my eyebrows in confusion, "what do you mean?"

She places both hands on her hips, "the shaman you seek has died," my heart hammers in my chest, "she waited for you, but you took forever to get here."

I run my fingers through my hair out of frustration, "what do I do now?"

The woman shrugs, "don't ask me. I want nothing to do with any of it."

She turns away and enters the house, her words strike a chord within me and so I run after her. "Please, you know something don't you?"

She rolls her eyes, "come in, it's going to rain again."

I nod my head at her then remove my shoes, the interior of the small house is void of any decorations, and now I realize that this woman is packing up the dead shaman's stuff. I sit on the floor and fold my legs politely as the woman places a bottle of water before me.

"You said the shaman waited for me?" 

She nods her head as she leans on the wall, "she did, and so did the shaman before her, and the one before that one."

I furrow my eyebrows, "what?"

"For generations the shamans who lived here have been waiting for the return of the Crown Prince." She crosses her arms against her chest as she looks at me, "each shaman has been tasked with guiding the reincarnated soul of the Crown Prince once he makes his return."

I shake my head at that, "who is this Crown Prince anyway?"

She slides down the wall as she sits, "why are you asking a question that you already know the answer to?"

I remain still, the small revelation makes my palms begin to sweat. "this can't be real."

I watch as she nods her head, "I understand your confusion completely. But like I said before, I want nothing to do with any of this. So I suggest you go back to where you belong."

She stands to her feet, "wait a second," she looks at me, "you sound like you know a lot about me. Who are you?"

She places both hands on her hips, "the shaman who died is my mother. And per my family's traditions, I should be the one who guides you through all of this."

In a split second, she feels like a saviour of sorts. "Thank you."

She shakes her head at me, "look kid," she sits before me with a sigh, "I never wanted to be a shaman, once I'm done here I'm returning to my life in Daejeon. I'm afraid I can't help you."

Sweat drips down my back at the rejection, "what should I do? I don't know what's happening to me."

She places her hand on mine, "listen carefully to what I'm about to say." I nod my head firmly at her and she removes her hand, "by now you should be having strange dreams. They're not really dreams, those are memories of your past life seeping through the cracks of your subconscious."

I shake my head, "do you expect me to believe that?"

She shrugs her shoulders, "I don't care what you believe. Let me guess, you found out about this place in a dream didn't you?"

I nod my head reluctantly, "how did you know?"

She rolls her eyes, "that stupid ghost must have stuck her nose where it didn't belong."

I look at her, "that was a ghost?" She nods her head, "but I've seen her in dreams about the Crown Prince."

"She's my ancestor actually, apparently she died protecting the Crown Princess, and for some reason her spirit couldn't move on without knowing th

Please log in to read the full chapter