Chapter 1

Through Space and Time: Denouement
Please log in to read the full chapter

"LET me prescribe some stronger sleeping pills..."

I fight the urge to roll my eyes at her, I can't believe I'm wasting both my time and money seeing this quack therapist, she doesn't even believe me when I try to tell her the truth.

"If you think that will help." 

She stops writing on her prescription pad, her eyes find mine and she tilts her head as she looks at me. "Baek Hyun-ssi, we both have to work together to ensure your recovery."

I nod my head, I've been hearing those words for two months now, and I can somehow tell that there isn't an ounce of care behind them. "Are you finished with the prescription?"

She lowers her head then hurriedly scribbles, she hands the prescription to me with a sigh. I pocket the paper then stand to my feet, "I'm afraid we'll have to cut today's session short. I have an event to attend."

I head towards the door, "did you dream last night?" I pause mid-step, "you did, didn't you?"

I turn around to face her, "I've been writing them down in the journal you gave me," she nods her head, "I don't want to discuss them with you."

She places her prescription pad on the small table beside her chair, "and I can't force you to, but don't you think telling me about them will help you recover?"

I scoff, "you used to get this look in your eyes when I would tell you about them," I stare at her, "and I could somehow tell what it is you're thinking. You would probably recommend that I take a break from my career, I would refuse since that isn't possible, and then..."

Her eyebrows perk up as I trail off, "and then?"

"...you would come to the conclusion that I'm crazy," she opens to protest but I raise my hand to stop her, "that's okay. I think I'm going crazy as well."

I take a deep breath, "I will schedule-"

I quickly interject, "no need, this is the last time we'll meet." A look of shock graces her face and I sigh softly, "but if you must know, I had another dream last night. It was as vivid as the others, I could feel the Crown Prince's pain," I touched my chest, "it hurt so much that I could hardly breathe."

I run my fingers through my hair, "he - well, in the dreams, I'm not an outsider looking in, it's almost as if I'm the Crown Prince. I hate it, he has so much emotions bottled up within, and I feel his pain in my dreams, and when I wake up, everything hurts even more."

I take another deep breath, "for the entire time that I've been seeing you, I've been trying to tell you that I'm in pain. I'm hurting and I don't know why, I get headaches that I can't handle, and I feel as if there's something missing from my life."

"Byun Baek Hyun-ssi, I think-"

"You think too much!" she jumps as I finally lose my cool, "I need you listen! I need you to understand that I'm not crazy! Everything f**king hurts!"

I close my eyes briefly, "last night I dreamed that I beheaded some people, and it felt good cutting their heads off. One of the members was in the kitchen when I woke up, I snapped at him because the blender was too loud. I wanted to kill him."

Her eyes widen at my confession, I take one last look at her then head towards the door as I hurriedly take my leave. I end up in the stairwell, my entire body's shaking out of sheer anger, I pull at my hair out of frustration. 

It's been three months since I've been having those dreams, whenever I close my eyes and attempt to get some sleep, I'm dragged into what seems like an entire different reality. It's a nightmare to be honest, everything I see and do in those dreams seem too real. 

The pain I feel is the worse, I've never experienced something like that in my entire life, and I have no idea how to make myself feel better.

I sigh deeply as the van comes to a stop, I would rather be anywhere else but here. I told him that too, but he gave me one of those deadly look of his, and so I found myself agreeing to this stupid event.

"Wipe that look off your face," I smile broadly as we exit the van. Cameras flash in a frenzy as we walk towards the entry, celebrities mix and mingle with each other, while people I don't recognize are getting their picture taken.

"Baek Hyun-ssi!"

"D.O.-ssi!"

I give the photographers a wave as they continue to snap away, but the moment we enter the gallery, the plastic smile falls from my face. Kyung Soo hyung sighs softly beside me as he takes a look around.

"Let's go, I want to see everything."

I stick my hands in my pocket as I follow closely behind him, I grab a brochure from a table as Kyung Soo hyung becomes fascinated with the different sized canvas on the walls. Apparently the paintings are grouped by their styles, which ranges from realism all the way to photorealism.

I close the brochure with a sigh, I know squat about art, so it's not like I'll be able to appreciate the different styles used. "I'm so glad I get to see these before my enlistment."

I raise my eyebrows at that as I look around the gallery, "so many people are here. Is the artist that famous?"

Kyung Soo hyung nods his head at me, "they say the artist's a genius, simply because he or she has mastered all the art types."

I furrow my eyebrows in confusion, "he or she?"

He hums, "no one knows if this person's a man or woman. No one knows what this person looks like either."

I nod my head, "how mysterious."

He rolls his eyes at my sarcastic remark, "anyway, this is the artist's first exhibit in South Korea. So I had to see it, and I also wanted to talk to you."

I knew this was coming.

He pulls me to a secluded corner, "what's the matter with you?" I don't provide an answer, "you've been acting strange lately, is it work? Is it because Minseok hyung and I won't be around anymore?"

I hold my head down, "no, you wouldn't understand."

He sighs deeply, "I can tell that you're going through something, everyone realizes that. Instead of talking to us you get these weird mood swings and lash out. Have you apologized to Sehun?"

I shak

Please log in to read the full chapter