Chapter 5

Through Space and Time: Denouement
Please log in to read the full chapter

HERE I am. The voice that came out of the darkness seemed to have cleared away the fog in my mind. 

I breathe heavily as I exit the car, it's like a map has been imprinted in my mind, I didn't even need to use the GPS to get here. But then, I kept spotting butterflies on my way here, so it's not like I really had to question my sense of direction.

The wind ruffles my hair as I walk along the dirt path, I come to the foot of the well designed board bridge, and this time around, I pause in my footsteps. The Koi fishes that reside in the small pond swim to the surface, and it seems as if they're greeting an old friend.

I don't think I need to question my reason for being here anymore, nor do I need to worry about what the outcome of this meeting will be. Yoon Ri Na and I have unfinished business, and I don't think I should leave here without seeing her face.

"Excuse me..." I turn at the sound of the newcomer. My mouth hangs open at the sight of the stout lady, she's wearing floral pants and her hands are covered with gardening gloves.

But the hat on her head doesn't hide her face from me, and as she looks at me with curiosity in her eyes, I try to fight the tears in mine. 

"...can I help you?" I blink a few times at her. I'm unable to answer the question, and she sighs deeply, "follow me."

She walks off, and it takes a few seconds for me to shake off the shock, and so I follow a few steps behind her. Butterflies zip pass me as she leads me to the entrance of a garden, she slows down as she approaches the entryway, and it's then that I spot the ladder.

"My gardener had to leave because of a family emergency." 

I blink, "I see." She doesn't need to explain what it is I need to do, and so I find myself climbing the ladder. 

"Just remove the weeds that you see," I nod my head as I get to work, "are you lost?"

"Not really," I continue to pull at the weeds without looking at her, "if I told you how I found this place, you wouldn't believe me."

She laughs heartily at my answer, "this place has been pulling in stragglers since I was a child. There's something weird about these acres of land, no wonder my eldest daughter wants to sell it."

I nod my head, "and what about you ma'am? Are you going to sell this place?"

She sighs deeply as I make my descent, "thank you." I place the weeds in the waste bag by her feet, "this place has been in my family for generations. Selling it won't be that easy since it's been declared a historical site. And..."

She turns around and I follow her gaze, but the only thing I spot is a roof. "There's somewhat of a permanent fixture in the house, I don't think anyone would want to take over this property with that type of burden."

I chew on my bottom lip as multiple questions come to mind, "is there anything else I can help you with?"

She turns and look back at me with raised eyebrows, "what's your name young man?"

"Byun Baek Hyun."

She smiles warmly at me, "alright Baek Hyun, it seems you're willing to volunteer your time today."

I later find myself inside the house, the woman from my memories put me to work and so I find myself helping her make lunch. The interior's a bit weird though, the floor to ceiling windows are all blocked by dark, thick curtains.

No natural light is allowed inside, and the few light fixtures in the kitchen are fused with very dull bulbs. For the first ten minutes in the kitchen, I kept bumping into things as I found it difficult to see.

"My grandson will be coming over in a few minutes. And another annoying person should be stopping by as well."

I raise my eyebrows, "an annoying person?"

She nods her head with a small smile, "it's her loyalty that makes her annoying actually." She sighs deeply, "I've offered her multiple jobs with a hefty pay raise, but she refuses to leave."

I watch as she leans on the counter while peeling an apple, "I didn't know that loyalty could be such a bad thing."

She hums in response, "useless things like that can get you killed."

I nod my head as she gives me a pointed look, a comfortable silence covers the kitchen, but it doesn't last long as a small boy bursts into the kitchen.

"Grandma!" he hugs her legs tightly and she ruffles his hair with a warm chuckle. The boy's eyes find mine, and I'm shocked once again today.

The boy from my memories is definitely younger in age, but there's no doubt that they're the same person. He pulls away from his grandmother's legs and smiles brightly at me.

"Is he lost too?" the woman chuckles then ushers him to the small table. "Hi, my name is Jung Woo."

I smile back at him, "I'm Baek Hyun."

His eyes remain on my face as he studies me, "you look so familiar." His grandmother places a plate with fruit before him and he digs in after uttering his thanks.

"Do I?" he nods his head, "do you have an idea of where you first saw me?"

He hums as he chews, "I'm not sure. Maybe a book?" I nod my head at him but he tears his eyes away from me then looks at the stairs.

"Grandma," she looks down at him, "will she come down to play today?"

My ears perk up at the question, and I watch carefully as she rubs his head comfortingly with a sigh. "That would be nice. But your aunt is still afraid of the light."

I furrow my eyebrows at that but continue to lightly snack on my sandwich. Trying my best not to freak out about this entire situation, I swallowed the lump in my throat as I decided to dedicate the rest of my time at Yoon Ri Na's house.

"Ma'am..." I sigh deeply as she looks up at me. We've returned to the vast garden, my task is pulling out weeds here and there while she gives me further instructions.

I bow deeply at her, "...I'm sorry, but this has been eating me up inside all day."

She furrows her eyebrows as she looks at me, "what's the matter Baek Hyun-ah?"

I clear my throat, "I wasn't honest with you." I look at her deep in the eyes, "I came here under false pretenses."

She blinks at me then removes the hat from her head, "oh? Well, is there anything I can help you with?"

I clear my throat at the unexpected question, "I'm not quite sure. But, there's something here that I'm interested in."

She nods her head, places the cup of lemonade on the small table beside her then stands gracefully. "Thank you for being honest, she smiles softly, "follow me."

I trail silently behind her as she leads me towards

Please log in to read the full chapter