Chapter 4

Through Space and Time: Denouement
Please log in to read the full chapter

FOLLOW the butterflies.

The phrase keeps replaying in my head over and over again. To make matters worse, I can't seem to get in touch with Ji Hyun noona, and I have no recollection of how I got home that day.

Somehow, my life seems to have slowed down, and the routine that I've grown accustomed to is now boring. Of course, the dreams still haunt me at night, but whatever it is that Ji Hyun did to me, makes them all bearable when I wake up.

I've managed to return to my regular schedules without the overwhelming looks of concern from the members. To be honest, I had missed the hectic schedule, with so much to do, and so many places to be in just one day, I realize that I have less time to think about my troubles.

And maybe I am using my hectic schedule as an excuse for this entire supernatural debacle that I found myself in. But I honestly don't think I can juggle finding this mysterious girl and my idol life.

"I can't even find the time to buy groceries," I all but slam the fridge door with a deep sigh. I can't believe no one else has taken up the task of buying food, now I have to do it.

"Just my f**king luck," grabbing my trusted mask and wallet, I quickly exit the apartment.

Due to me mentally whining about having to go outside, I failed to notice the small animal at the end of the hallway. I jump slightly as it barks upon spotting me, I furrow my eyebrows as it wags its tail happily while looking up at me excitedly.

"Hey," I walk over to it and stoop down to its level, "what are you doing out here alone?" I rub behind its ears while the small dog continues to wag his tail.

My check for a collar comes up empty, but I keep my hand in its - well it seems to be a male - his pristine white fur for a while. He my hand happily and I chuckle softly.

It's in that moment, that a sudden feeling of familiarity washes over me, the more I continue to rub my hands all over his coat, the more relieved I feel to be in his presence. I draw even closer to him, and without even thinking twice, I hug the small dog tightly.

I know this dog.

I place the small dog on the floor, and as his shining eyes look back at me, I feel my own prick with tears. "Why are you here?"

I sniffle softly as I reach into my pocket and grab my phone, "you shouldn't be here." I take a quick picture of him, convinced that he belongs to one of my fellow tenants.

I immediately open up my gallery as I get ready to send his picture to the building management. But I can only gasp out of shock when I look back at my phone screen. 

The small dog wags his tail at me, I can see him clearly, so I know for a fact that he's real. But why isn't he showing up in the picture I just took?

He barks once more, and I look at him. Really look at him.

I then start to tear up, I try to stop it from happening, but I seem to have lost control. Small sobs begin to rock my body, the mysterious yet familiar dog whines as he senses my distress.

Why am I crying?

More tears run down my cheeks as I break down before the small dog. My phone buzzes in my hand, I sniffle as I look at the caller ID, and without wiping away the tears, I immediately answer.

"Noona..."

"Baek Hyun? Did I wake you?"

I sniffle, "no. But he's here." I caress his coat once more, "we looked everywhere for him that day, but we couldn't find him."

"Yah, what the hell are you talking about?"

I sigh deeply, "my damn dog," I rapidly blink the tears away, "his name is Dbong, we went on an hunting expedition and Royal Father allowed me to take him with me. But-"

"Son of a b*tch!"

I remove the phone from my ear as she loudly interjects, "what is it?"

"I'm getting on the next flight to Korea. Baek Hyun-ah, listen closely to what I'm about to say. I'm going to text you the address of a traditional market in Seoul, go there as quickly as possible-"

"What is it?" the dog wags his tail once more and I smile at him.

"Don't interrupt. Get as much sage as you can carry, and once you get home, burn it all."

I frown, "but why?"

"I think you already have the answer."

It's then that I remove the phone from my ear, I pull up that photo I took just now, and it's just a picture of the floor.

"Baek Hyun, are you there? I know this may be hard, but get away from the dog this instant!"

Ji Hyun's voice sends a jolt through my system, I stand quickly and with one last look at the small dog, I take off running toward the elevators. I close my eyes while breathing heavily as I get inside.

"Byun Baek Hyun!"

I put the phone to my ear, "what happened just now?"

"That dog sensed you, so it came to find you. This is worse than I thought, just get the sage, and burn it until I get back."

I nod my head, "okay. But should I be worried? You're freaking me out."

"The Crown Prince's memories are invading your mind even when you're awake. The dog was never yours Baek Hyun, well not in this life anyway."

I take a deep breath at the news. Just when I thought that things were getting back to normal, something like this happens.

"Am going to lose my mind aren't I?" I lean on the elevator wall as it makes its descent.

"You won't. The sage will protect you for a while until I can make something stronger. I know you don't want to hear this, but having Yoon Ri Na by your side will stop weird things from happening to you."

"WHAT the hell is going on with you?"

My eyes remain on the floor as our choreographer throws his bottled water to the floor out of frustration. My chest raises and falls as I breath heavily, sweat drips from my face as my bangs sit on my forehead, and I fight the urge to give an answer to his question.

"Is this debut a joke to you? Yah, with everything you do, that rookie mindset should still be there!" I sigh deeply at that, I've lost count of the many times I've heard that one statement. 

Should I just quit this entire idol life? I would give anything just to be normal again, but then, I don't think that's possible since I haven't even found Yoon Ri Na yet.

I'm so gonna pinch Ji Hyun noona when I see her again. "Byun Baek Hyun! Are you even listening to me?"

I lift my head as my ears ring from his constant shouting, "No, actually." Jongin shifts uncomfortably beside me at my answer, "if you're trying to correct my mistakes then you don't need to do so by shouting."

I grab my towel from the floor, "what?"

I sigh once more as I look at him, a choreographer who I've worked with on many occasions, and I'm sure he doesn't deserve this, but I'm f**king tired of everything. "I don't want to do this anymore."

My mind seems to clear instantly at my confession, "hyung..." I ignore Lucas' soft plea as turn on my heels and make my exit. I can hear the others trying to get my attention, but it all falls on deaf ears as I take a step out of the practice room.

I begin to hum a soft tune as I enter the elevator, I've never experienced such clarity while inside this building before. As soon as the shaft gets to the ground floor, I remove my phone from my pocket and dial Ji Hyun's number, but as usual, the engineer doesn't pick up.

Is she avoiding me?

"Baek Hyun!" I turn around to see Taemin power walking toward me, "what was that about?" I furrow my eyebrows at the question, "I thought we all agreed to do this."

I scoff, "it's not like I had a choice. If I let his happen, then the company will just continue to use me as their own personalized chest piece." The singer sighs deeply, "and have you heard the name they decided on? Super M!"

I laugh manically at that, "how f**king creative." He shakes his head at me.

"Where is all of this coming from? Are you still not feeling well?" He places a hand on my shoulder and I look at it, "let's go back inside for now."

I lift my head to tell him to remove his hand, but the words die in my throat as I spot the most spectacular insect fly by his head. My mouth hangs

Please log in to read the full chapter