Chapter 13

Through Space and Time: Denouement
Please log in to read the full chapter

AFTER watching Ji Hyun set up her living room, the anxiousness that I've been feeling has grown tenfold. I keep thinking about where Ri Na could've gone, but I come up with nothing.

Her disappearance is all my fault, I was driven by my emotions and so I went against Ji Hyun's warnings. And now, the love of my life is missing.

"Sit," I take a seat in the circle of candles. "You and Ri Na's souls are now connected, so I'm going have you call out to her."

I catch a glimpse of Sacha's head flashing back and forth between Ji Hyun and I. "Well is this safe? A spell such as this will drain your energy."

Ji Hyun sighs deeply then turns to look at him, it's been two hours since she found out that they were married in her past life, but she's been really indifferent to the news. I get that the notion of past lives and reincarnation aren't new theories to Ji Hyun since she comes from a family of Shamans, but Ji Hyun seems as if she doesn't care about all of that.

"Of course it's not safe," with her hands akimbo she stares down the spiritual guide. "But this is fastest way for us to find her."

Sacha shakes his head then silently takes a seat on an empty stool, Ji Hyun turns to face me with another sigh. "I've never experienced this before, so I don't know what it'll be like for you. I also don't know what situation you'll find yourself in, but you need to find the Princess as quickly as you can."

I nod firmly, "I'm ready."

"Good. Hit the lights guide boy." The apartment grows dim, Ji Hyun nods her head reassuringly at me as she lights some herbs.

The candle lights brighten as soon as Ji Hyun utters some weird incantation, I can't make out the words since she's not speaking Korean. My palms begin to sweat as wind rustles around us, strangely the candle lights don't even flicker at the intrusion.

The wind makes it a bit difficult for me to keep my eyes open and so I shelter them with my arm over my face. The first thing that disappears is Ji Hyun's voice, but once I remove my arm from my face, my heart begins to race wildly in my chest.

My surroundings are unfamiliar, but I think there was a life when I was in a situation like this before. Men move back and forth in formation, I look around like a lost doe as I can hear shouts coming from various tents. 

I look down, armour clads my body and a sword hangs on my side. I look from left to right, the camp's lively as soldiers continue to hustle about. 

This can't be happening.

I groan, if I had known that finding Ri Na would bring me back to the past I would've prepared myself. But none of this makes any sense, why would I need to return to the past to find Ri Na?

I don't even know what era I'm in, and why the hell would Ri Na be in a war camp? , what am I going to do?

"General."

Where do I even begin to look? It would take me hours to search this entire war camp.

"General." The voice breaks me out of my reverie. "More soldiers have fallen ill, and our rations are low."

I turn, two men dressed in similar armour bow at me. I take deep breaths as I realize that I am this General they're addressing, and so it seems that I am in charge of this entire camp.

"The Minamoto Clan's warriors are enclosing on us, by nightfall I fear there will be too many casualties."

I resist the urge to roll my eyes, I really do not have the time for any of this, and I have no idea how to lead an entire army. I need to find my girlfriend and get the hell out of here.

I clear my throat, "I believe..." I scratch my bow nervously, "...we should retreat."

I nod as I try to convince myself that I'm making any sense, the two men look back at each other with uncertainty. 

"General, are you telling us to accept defeat?"

This time I do roll my eyes, "well, do you have a better idea? People are getting sick, there's hardly any food, and I have no idea what I'm doing!"

I take a deep breath as I try to calm down, "transport the wounded and sick first. The rest of us will follow."

The two men nods at us then rushes off to carry out the orders, my feet head in the opposite direction as I begin to check the tents. It's almost as if I'm on borrowed time, I enter and exit the tents in a frenzy.

With Ri Na's name on my lips, I shout for her as I make my way through the camp. I ignore the soldiers who are also running around trying to get their things in order for the move.

I don't even know how long I've been searching for, my throat's hoarse from all the shouting I've been doing, and my body hurts from all the running I've been doing with the armour on.

But Ri Na's no where to be found, I begin to grow frustrated, I'm so angry at all of this that I can't even think straight. Night falls quickly, myself and a few other men are the last ones to leave the camp.

With my armour off I ride silently with the men along the dark roads, this is all just too much right now. History has never been my forte, and from my memories as the Crown Prince/King, I've never heard of the Minamoto Clan.

I don't even know where to begin to look for her, not to mention the fact that I can't even tell where it is we're going. This is honestly some bull, Ri Na could be about anywhere by now, lost and alone.

But somehow, I've ended up back in the past. 

A horse behind me neighs loudly, then another neighs. My own horse pauses, it neighs uncontrollably and attempts to throw me off its back. 

There isn't even time for us to settle the horses, the men fall from their houses to the ground. I look around with wide eyes as I spot arrows lodged in their chests. 

I look ahead as I try to spot our attackers, the cloud cover clears, a lone horseman's in the middle of the road. I sigh deeply as arrows begin to fly over my head, I get off my horse with the thought to run.

After all, I didn't come here to die. 

So I do run, but unfortunately I don't get too far, archers come into view and so I stop in my tracks. "Noona, where the hell did you send me?"

A cough rocks through me as I land on my chest, I turn with a glare directed at the man who just kicked me. I stand to my feet as I look around, it seems as if I'm brought to tent of some sorts.

A makeshift bed sits in the corner, papers lie open on a large table in the centre, and that's just about it for the decor. Footsteps approach, I turn around once more, I'm hit in the back and so I end up on my knees.

"What is this?" a soft voice joins in the mix. 

I furrow my eyebrows at the sound of it, it's a voice that I can spot anywhere, and as I recognize it I come to realize my reason for being here. I look up just in time to see a figure pass by me, the newcomer removes her helmet and throws it on the table.

<
Please log in to read the full chapter