chapter 6

hating the parts of me that are yours
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Trainee ID No.: 1990326 - Xiumin
Title: Captain; Pilot
Spacecraft: M6543 
Special Skills: Frozen elemental  
Mission (pending) : EXOL12109 retrieval (cohorts: Officer Chen, Officer Lay, Officer D.O.)]

[Mission Log No. 1: CODENAME LAY
Successful landing on foreign planet, EXOL12109.
Officer Lay, ordered to remain on spacecraft during battle for medical attention.
Captain Xiumin, Officer Chen, Officer D.O., exploration and retrieval duty of foreign planet.

Mission Log No. 2: CODENAME LAY
Captain Xiumin, Officer Chen,Officer D.O., involved in unplanned confrontation with unknowns.  
Dispatch: “Please advise.”
Dispatch: “Please advise.”
Dispatch: “Please advise.”
Dispatch: “Please advise.”

Mission Log No. 3: CODENAME LAY
Officer D.O., injured in battle.
Officer Chen, lost on battlefield.
Officer Lay, manned escape pod with Officer D.O. (Captain’s orders)
Captain Xiumin, manual override of spacecraft, lost in space, failed to return.
Mission EXOL12109 retrieval : “Failed”.]

Jongin’s hands fall lifelessly to his sides.  The archives don’t tell him anything about Kim Minseok, but instead, they outline the accounts of an officer named Xiumin.  Xiumin, who has the same ID number as Minseok.  Xiumin, who has the same ice element power as Minseok.  Xiumin, who, according to the last mission report was now missing in space.

Something about the mission code strikes Jongin, but he can’t put a finger on it.  More importantly, he now knows even less about Minseok and how to meet him once more.  Jongin has classes the next day as well as training, but somehow, Jongin doesn’t have the heart to care.

+++

The history lecturer drones on.  It’s another lecture about the exoplanet which exploded, now almost 30 years ago.  It’s a subject that’s discussed ad nauseum and Jongin almost wishes he’d slept in.  Yesterday’s disappointment at the archival building gives him a sour taste in his mouth.  Jongin can feel Sehun’s worried eyes on him, but right now, he can’t focus on anything -- not even his best friend.

"To this day, the whereabouts of the exoplanet's (EXOL12109) last resting place remains unknown as all data fees from spaceship M6543 were lost except for 3 personal logs made by one of the crew members."

The whole class murmurs in wonder, but Jongin freezes.  The numbers and codes look too familiar.  He accesses the downloaded archive content from yesterday, from Minseok’s ID number.  

Mission EXOL12109 retrieval.  

Captain and pilot of spacecraft M6543.

Jongin stops breathing for a full minute.  Emotions clash inside of him: Giddiness at finally finding some kind of connection with Minseok, proof that Minseok isn’t a figment of his imagination; but also deep grief at the hardship that Minseok most likely went through with such a hard and big mission.


+++


After finding the Xiumin-Minseok connection, Jongin goes on an obsessed rampage.  Jongin constantly wants to go out into deep space.  Junmyeon constantly has to tell him that they’re a new crew, that they’re not ready.

And so when J

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter