cold as ice

back from the dead

Kim Namjoon

Shuffling through the papers, the brand new promoted detective looked for the one thing he needed the most at the moment. As he found the bege folder, he grabbed a certain stamp and pressed it onto the cover, tainting in red the words "Case Closed" with a bright smile.

He was good in what he did. Most of the cold cases of the small town were closed since he got in the police force, at very young age. Almost all but one. The only one he really wanted to solve.

"No body, no case" the, back then, detective said with annoyance, to the 17 years old boy. And because of that he did what nobody was doing. He investigated. He didn't knew where to start or where to go from but with the help of and old man who once was a great Private Investigator, Namjoon started to trace all the steps of the one murder nobody could solve.

He couldn't either, but he got the taste of it and started to try solving other minor cold cases. The first time he was sucessful, he felt such a joy and peace, and then he knew that this was what he really wanted to do for the rest of is life.

Now, ten years later, he was one of the youngest detectives in all Korea, decorated by the Minister for Public Administration and Home Affairs himself. He got lots of job offers in Seoul and he new that by the law he needed, someday, to get transfered to another place but not until he could solve her death.

Namjoon said goodbye to his peers at the station, grabbed his coat and walked home. It was a cold and dark night and the streets were silent. For anyone this combination would scare them off as they walked alone but for him it was a relaxing moment. The only one of all of his day.

A few streets after, he stopped in front of his building. He reached is hand on the keypaded door and pressed the code to open it but a cold breeze brought a familiar smell along and he tensed up. He shrugged thinking it was just something of his mind or a perfume that anyone could wear similar to that one specific smell but it wasn't.

"Joonie" he didn't believe in ghosts but there was no way that could be anything but that, as he heard that voice. He couldn't turn. He was scared off, a feeling he almost never felt before. The silence that proceeded told him it was only his mind playing tricks but the sound of slow footsteps reaching him told him otherwise.

He then turned in abruptly, waiting to see anybody but her. She couldn't be there. Not seeming as if she never died. Not looking older as he always wanted her to grow. Her natural red lips gave him a soft smile. His heart was pounding so hard that he thought he was going to die. If that was a trick or a prank he sure as hell didn't found it funny at all. But how could someone look so much like her, call him by her nickname and not be her?

"It's me. I'm back."

 

Kim Taehyung & Kim Seokjin

"She's back!" The young male bolted through the classroom where is older co-worker was gradding his first grade student papers. Seokjin lifted his head to his long time friend and narrowed his eyes. "Who's back?"

"Her." Taehyung told with a specific tone, the one they used to use when talking about their dead friend. "You're making no sense..." Jin shaked his head and swallowed hardly, focusing again on his papers.

"I saw her. It's her. It must be her." Tae insisted, pulling a chair and sitting on it. The chair was too short for his tall and slender figure, because it was a childs chair, and it made his knees almost reach his chest. "She's dead, Taehyung."

"You, Yoongi and Namjoon are the only ones who really believe that. Her body was never found."

"The crime scene had her blood..." Seokjin stopped himself from continuing. The memorie of it was too painful. He blamed himself so much for what happened, for not being there to protect her nor save her... If he had stayed after that summer. If he hadn't gone to college right away and postponed it for just one year, maybe she could be alive.

"I recall it very well, thank you for the reminder." Tae's voice cracked as he mumbled pained by the memory of what the six boys found ten years ago. He remembered them entering the house with smiles plastered through their faces but soon those smiles faded as they saw everything out of place, like a storm had come. And as they runned throught the rooms they finally found what they dreaded the most. "I'm sorry Tae. I just don't want you to get your hopes up."

"She's back Jin and sooner or later you're going to see for yourself." The boy said, walking out of the classroom and leaving a haunted friend behind.

 

Park Jimin & Jung Hoseok

Hoseok screamed as the door was suddenly swang open. Jimin rushed inside with a pale expression, grabbing his phone with his life. He felt like if he didn't hold it strongly, all of his body would collide to the floor.

"God damn you Park Jimin, you almost killed me" Hoseok dramatically said pressing his heart over his chest. "I think I'm going to die" the other responded, ignoring the dance teacher's whimpers. "What is it now?" Jung rolled his eyes and clenched his arms to his chest.

"Taehyung said... he said..." Jimin wavered afraid to say the words that might turn to be lies. "Spit it out woman." Hoseok teased but when his friend bursted in tears and slided down to the floor, he realized that it was indeed something serious.

Jimin just stretched his arm and handed his phone over to Hoseok, who picked the mobil and read the said messeges Taehyung sent to his long lost friend. Even after all seven of them drifted apart, some mantained some contact. Seokjin and Taehyung worked at the same place so it was inevitable. Hoseok was giving dance classes at the same place Jimin traines his dance routines for competitions. And Jungkook was in the same "friend" circle as Yoongi.

But sometimes the youngsters would reunite as the old days, as if nothing had changed. Sometimes they texted one another, just trying to keep the friendship flame alive. But it was harder and hard each year. Now they only almost texted in special occasions and reunited two times a year. One on the day they met her and the other on the day they lost her.

"It can't be" Hoseok discredited what he read, looking as pale as his younger friend. "She can't be back." Even though he was one of the ones that didn't believe she had died, he also didn't believe that she was alive. He clung onto the hope but as years passed he slowly hung on the same belief that the three elders clung upon.

 

Jeon Jungkook & Min Yoongi

Yoongi stared blankly to the younger boy as he showed him the message he had received from his childhood friend. Jungkook was happy. Yoongi was disbelieved. "That's one of his delusions." He said without doubt. "He saw her with Namjoon! He saw her entering his house!" The boy persisted and the older only pushed him away, as he tried to get him off his back.

""As if the snitcher would not snitch about it." The raven haired male said pulling a pack of cigarrets off his pocket and lighting one in his mouth. He pulled the smoke into his lungs and walked through the abandoned warehouse where he and his troupe used to hang out. Everybody was gathering around a small bonfire, scatered around the place in improvised seats made of tires, wooded boxes and some old cushions to soften and made the seats the bare minimum of confortable.

"Maybe he hasn't yet had the time to process. Maybe he is still with her, talking about what happened." the younger tried to say but he jumped scared when a bottle broke a few inches away from him.

"Stop it! Stop believing in that fat stupid lie! We don't ing need her body to believe she's dead, we saw it! We saw her body get tossed in that river!" Yoongi was shouting and everyone was silent and still.

He wanted to beat dead the youngers for keeping that delusion, when they had followed the blood trail to the exact moment when her killer was trying to get rid of the evidence. He almost drowned trying to rescue her. He almost rescued her when he d her clothes. But the water flow was too strong and he lost grip of her.

Ten years had passed since that day and everyday it seemed to him like it was yesterday. He couldn't shake away the guilt of not saving her. He couldn't throw away the anger of not protecting her as he promised.

n/a: Sooo this was the first chapter. The boys reacting to their friend coming back from the dead. Being Namjoon and Taehyung the only ones who actually seen her.

What are you thinking so far? Are you curious about what actually happened. How and why was she "killed", how she survived and why she took so long to get back?