April 25

forget me not.

In the end Kyuhyun was the one insisted to meet Ryeowook, his long time high school classmate. Siwon called Ryeowook in case the latter has a busy schedule, as well as Changmin. Fortunately both didn’t and Siwon together with Kyuhyun drive towards the promised meeting spot.

On the way they exchanged no words. Kyuhyun playing with his finger nails didn’t go unnoticed by Siwon. He somehow knew the boy was nervous, who wouldn’t? If he’s in his shoes he would be nervous as well. Imagine wanting to meet someone who thought their friend went missing six years ago with no one remember a thing about that person. Siwon wouldn’t want to be in that position either even if someone or fate pins him to.

“Yah! Siwon-ssi!”

Siwon snap out of his thought when Kyuhyun yelled, “What?”

“Now I know. When I reach your age I hope I won’t be deaf like you.” Kyuhyun sighed, “I’ve been calling you but I guess your mind is somewhere else, huh? You got a call.”

“Oh…” Siwon looked at his ringing phone. Perhaps the boy didn’t have to be that rude calling him deaf. He’s not that old yet to have a hearing problem. Siwon picks his Bluetooth headset and accept the call.

“Yes, who is this?” Siwon asked since he didn’t get to see who the caller was.

“Yo, what’s up?! This is Eunhyuk. I have a new number so do save it, please.”

Lee Hyukjae or what people like to call him, Eunhyuk. Siwon never understand why his friend prefers to be called not with his real name. It wasn’t as if ‘Hyukjae’ is an ugly name. But once he heard Hyukjae saying it’s easier to call him ‘Eunhyuk’, despite that Siwon stick to his own preference by respecting Hyukjae’s real name.

“Hmm, take a note of that. It’s been a while. Why the call? You only wanted to tell me to save your number?” Siwon smiled and Kyuhyun secretly take a glance at the man, looking curious who he’s speaking with.”Not even asking me how I was doing…”

“No professor, I have something to talk about. It’s regarding the project that you disowned.” Hyukjae said seemingly in hurry. Siwon stopped the car when the road light went red. Sighing, he grips the steering wheel.

It’s been a while since someone called him by that. The high class title among other scientists that he used to be proud of, the one that make people calling him the smartest of all and the only one name that isolated him from the outside world.

After he graduated from high school the federal government recruited him to become a member of their supposedly classified organization because of his undeniably smart brain. He thought it was a good offer so he decided to tag along however he didn’t know things would get serious. Before the organization was formed several of trainings were given and experiments were done by hundreds of young contestants to ensure its eminence. He wasn’t so sure what made him to get engaged in unbelievable activities but perhaps one of the reasons was they were better and entertaining than his school years, at the same time made him realize that he wasted 12 years of his school life.

After a year of sleepless nights maintaining the top position, he and 5 other contestants were chosen out of hundreds to lead the organization. Together they easily gain the professor title in such young age. Siwon was the youngest from others despite mostly being the one who led most of the organization’s project. He successfully maintained the professor title for 6 years and quitted a year after his wife’s death leaving behind what he was currently working at the hands of his colleagues. A few months later he sent his job application at Jae Hwan High School as physic teacher and was accepted in short time.

“Siwon, are you there?” The light turns green and he continue driving.

“Yeah, I’m listening.” Siwon asked knowing there are three that he left behind. “Which one?”

“It’s SB-010.” Hyukjae paused behind as if knowing the frown on Siwon’s face. “I know you don’t like anyone mentioning that one. We know you put your disowned project in our hands but we never once touch them or mess with it because we know we don’t have the right to. But recently the superiors took a review on our project including the one you left behind. They insist us to continue SB-010. We don’t know what to do, Siwon. We’re stuck here. They said SB-010 is beyond perfect for the future use. We tried offering the alternative but they refused. They want your project done.”

Even though Siwon quitted he still didn’t expect the higher ups to still look onto them. Siwon loved his previous job, creating things that are almost beyond human capabilities with others but he was never fond of how the superiors order everything around and take most of the credits.

“They want you back Siwon.”

“Obliterate it.” Siwon immediately said while Hyukjae gasped behind, so dramatically loud enough that it stings his ear. “That way they would reconsider your alternative. You could make a new one with different setup and equipment. It doesn’t have to be mine. I’m aware they took an interest on it because SB-010 is convenient for future use.”

“Are you crazy? I can’t do anything with it! We can’t! Also, superiors aren’t the only reason.” Hyukjae continues to blabber.

“I know, I know. You guys want me back too, right? Thanks guys but I don’t think I can.” Siwon smiled sadly,

“Don’t waste your time talking with me and continue your work. Send my regards to others.”

“Alright. I’ll call you again later.”

Just in time they finally arrived at their destination. Siwon takes off the Bluetooth headset and both leave the car. Looking up at the ten stories apartment building with sleepy eyes Kyuhyun went ahead inside without knowing whether it’s the right building. Shaking his head slightly, Siwon abruptly hold Kyuhyun’s arm and walk him to the small restaurant not far from the tall building. Once arriving at their actual destination, a figure in black oversized jumper who Kyuhyun think is Ryeowook waves at them but when his eyes find Kyuhyun he covers his mouth with his hands.

“Did you wait long?” Siwon asked while Ryeowook runs over to Kyuhyun and crash him with hug, so sudden making the boy in white clothing falls back to the wooden floor with a loud thud. Kyuhyun winced in pain when he felt his back hurts and chuckled nervously after. The scene caught everyone’s attention and Kyuhyun didn’t even have to look around to know about it, the whispers and murmurs tell, especially for their current position which made Siwon looking away hiding his embarrassment towards the two boys.

“Kim Ryeowook-ssi…” Kyuhyun called, eyes shifting to Siwon in confusion.

“Cho Kyuhyun-ssi is this really you? Or am I seeing things?” Ryeowook remove the hug, proceeding to touch Kyuhyun’s face and pull his hair earning a wince from the younger male. “I’m not seeing things, right? Tell me I’m not seeing things!”

Kyuhyun wasn’t able to recognize Ryeowook when he looked at him from afar but now when he’s right in front of him he could tell it’s the silent student he knew who always seated alone on the third row completely in depth with his own world. He doesn’t know the petite really well and couldn’t specify whether or not he’s a friend but knowing that Ryeowook got involved in this being one of the people that remembers him according Siwon could already been said, maybe starting from that he’s a friend after all.

“You’re not seeing things.” Kyuhyun said calmly while smiling, shifting his position into sitting. “Thank you for remembering me.”

Ryeowook stumbles backwards as he broke down into tears. It took Siwon and Kyuhyun a while calming Ryeowook down. They are now seated in table of four as they waited for their drinks to arrive. Ryeowook speak no words as he’s staring, expecting for Kyuhyun to be the one who start because what else does he need other than explanation? Kyuhyun knows Ryeowook is confused and thus start telling him from the beginning till how he reached this space.

“It might be hard to believe…”

“Time travel huh? That’s something cool right there.” Ryeowook grinned as he confidently declined and sipped his hot cocoa. “I’m a simple person. I believe nothing’s impossible but don’t ask me how to draw circle and rectangle in one shape.”

“I’m glad then.” Kyuhyun sighed in relief.

“But there’s something that bothers me.” Ryeowook put his mug down and stare at the two, “You mention you arrived here after the bridge incident… Why?”

“That one I have no idea.” Kyuhyun cross his arms, “After I fell down and drowned, I went back to the street on my way home knowing my friend would approach me but he didn’t. Ah, it’s déjà vu. It’s really weird. Siwon-ssi, you noticed too?”

Siwon hummed as a response and jerk his head straight when he saw Changmin. The boy noticed it immediately and approaches the three figures. “You’re late.”

“Sorry I had a meeting with my friend a while ago. Did you guys…?” Changmin paused when his eyes met Kyuhyun. He has the same reaction as Ryeowook but he didn’t lunge at Kyuhyun and broke into tears. He just stood there as if not believing what’s before him. Siwon look between the smiling Kyuhyun and Changmin who somehow was taken aback, regardless trying to stay calm as possible. But what was that strange glint in his brother in law’s eyes? Siwon couldn’t comprehend well since his mind was preoccupied with Kyuhyun’s question earlier. The two hugged before Changmin took a sit beside Ryeowook who had been tilting his head in confusion ever since the tall arrived.

“How long has it been?”

Kyuhyun chuckled, “Six years? It’s been a while, Changmin.”

“The lady you save lived well with her son.” Changmin said making Kyuhyun eyes widen at the statement. “In case if you’re asking. You saved a life before you left. What took you so long to return?”

Kyuhyun then repeat what he explained to Ryeowook earlier. Unlike Ryeowook, Changmin seemed having a hard time grasping everything, especially the part when Kyuhyun revealed to have traveled from the past. He only nodded as a response or either sighing for the upcoming surprise and shift in his seat. Siwon noticed his brother in law’s uneasiness and decide to take the lead but Kyuhyun stopped him.

“Take your time. I know it’s hard to believe but that’s the reality.” Kyuhyun reassured. “Even I still think it’s a dream…or maybe better fiction. I don’t know why I’m here either. I think being here I have a purpose. Other than that, thank your for remembering me. You’re a true best friend.”

“Of course I am.” Changmin and Kyuhyun then high fived, “Whatever it is I wont ever forget you, Kyu. How could I even forget when you always disturb my sleeping time in class?”

“I smacked you many times with the board’s eraser!”

“Ah aren’t you that sloth guy?” Ryeowook came to realization, laughing along with Kyuhyun. “The batch held a reunion two months ago why didn’t you come?”

“Had some stuff to do. Siwon knows what I’ve been doing.” Changmin grinned.

Looking at the small reunion somehow creates sparks within Siwon. The table filled with laughter as they reminisce the past and shower Kyuhyun with more question. It seemed they really missed him. Kyuhyun looked different from the last time he saw him. The boy looked like he’s enjoying his time despite standing in the place where he shouldn’t be.

**

The man in dark red hair sighs as he’s busy flipping over the file in his hand beside his colleague who’s currently admiring their greatest possession with sparkling eyes while carrying the fluffy white bunny in his arms. However, greatest or not it wasn’t theirs in the first place. Lee Hyukjae was so sure he could see stars in other eyes but didn’t expect to be wrong when he heard an exhausting sigh even though the other barely contribute for the day. Walking over the table ignoring his colleague he rests his hands on the table and give the large blueprint a sharp look.

Tremendously sharp that anyone who dared to break his focus would be dead by his gaze.

“Eunhyuk-ah, you’ve been working really hard everyday. Why don’t you rest a bit? I can take care of that.” Lee Sungmin, the man whose height never reaches Hyukjae commented as he’s now standing beside him looking at the complicated blueprint as well. Their eyes focused staring at the white lines that perfectly depicts how the design should be done. They intersect almost altogether leaving small places, made it hard to see which one goes to where. Working for seven years they’ve never seen a very complicated blueprint or ever making one but among the five of them they know very well who has the habit making one. Though the man is no longer around yet his previous project made it as if his presence is still there.

“Shut your mouth if you plan to just stand there and not giving me hand.”

“I’m contemplating.”

“Everyone does it everyday.” Slumping on the chair, Hyukjae kicks the table adding force making the chair slides towards the other table. Compare to the last one there are files scattered everywhere and three computers showing various kinds of data and designs.

“I still don’t believe what Siwon said.” Sungmin said out loud that his voice echoes through the laboratory. There’s a spark of disbelieve and disappointment in it. “How could he say that so easily like he left behind an airplane made of origami? Like what he made was nothing other than a worthless piece of trash, why can’t he just freaking respect his greatest invention?! Obliterate it? God it’s frustrating!”

Hyukjae turns his chair around, glancing over at the shiny blue object inside the glass box. “I don’t know Min, but he always knew what he’s doing. Siwon probably knows SB-010 won’t be good for the future use. The superiors often see things with one eye. If they think it’s good for the future then they won’t change their mind. Always remember our projects have their pros and cons. They don’t really care about the cons. Somehow we’re working to please their satisfaction but they take most of the credit. We are never known to the public. They could take off Siwon’s name on its inventor list and change it into someone else.”

“So what are you planning to do now?” Sungmin scans the large blueprint again trying to grasp everything and scoffed. “This kid is a damn stubborn . He managed to plan on defying the scientific law, what a life risking. He’s going to get himself killed, not that it’s a bad move. The superiors didn’t seem to mind about it. Supposedly you didn’t let them see this?”

“Nope, just like what you said. It’s a life risking so why should I? I know they guaranteed protecting us and our family from any outcomes but we shouldn’t really rely on that. Working in this area we have our life at the end of the line. Anyone could cut it and make us fall anytime they want.” Hyukjae said looking up at the ceiling. “I won’t obliterate that thing. For now I guess keeping it save would be more appropriate. Siwon would understand but we’ll try making the alternative. After all, we can’t just play around with it knowing the reason why Siwon created that in the first place.”

Footsteps are heard and both shift their gaze towards the source of sound. The man in jet black hair yawns lazily, his oversized lab coat that went over his waist and arms slump over his shoulder revealing his milky neck. He takes his sit on Hyukjae’s lap while the other blond stops in the middle, giving his innocent dimple smile at Hyukjae and Sungmin.

“Wise decision as always my Jerry.” Yesung said naively while playing with the puzzle game in his tab, not minding the sharp eyes on his back. “I miss Siwon, I want him back.”

“Who doesn’t…?”

“That being said Eunhyuk will lead today’s meeting.” Leeteuk, the current leader chirps as he roll Siwon’s blueprint neatly, receiving a groan from Hyukjae. But the next thing Hyukjae heard made him wanted to swallow them back. “With Yesung too.”

“I’ll call the others.” Sungmin leap towards the lobby leaving only three figures in the room half lit only by the blue object.

“You don’t like it, Jerry?” Yesung murmurs, still focusing on the game yet he doesn’t know Hyukjae was smiling at the idea.

“No, I’m fine. What you got in there?”

“Aside from the problem with Siwon’s SB-010 a rather troublesome one appeared and Yesung detected it before others.” Leeteuk sighed yet the smile didn’t leave from his face, eyeing Yesung to continue the rest. Yesung nodded, walking over to Leeteuk. He types something on his white tab and a hologram of long wormhole in motion appears. Time and space… Hyukjae thought. Smiling, seeing before him moving at normal speed somehow tells Hyukjae about the rest however at times he doesn’t trust his hunch. He won’t deny Yesung’s intelligence despite the older always in lazy and sleepy state, Yesung never fail to bring out the surprise under his sleeves.

“As you can see, that’s the normal state of our UTP or Universe Time Plane.” Yesung shift his hand in the air for the next slide. The two other male had no idea Yesung had been watching their universe’s time plane since all these time it wasn’t part of his area.

“That one is the current state.”

On the air appear to be another wormhole in shape process inside the first one. It stretches vertically making them look like plus sign. Before Hyukjae opens his mouth Yesung says, “Another wormhole grew in the middle and creates intersection for both. That states another fraction of time plane was created and presently overlapping with ours. This isn’t a good sign. Better not make it stay longer.”

“I agree, we’re gonna have to take care of this first.” Leeteuk nods, hand rested on chin. “Supposedly the new one that appeared is from another universe getting in ours in accident or purpose.”

“Or probably not hyung, the possibility of universe expanding may be the cause.” Hyukjae stands to have a closer look. “When did that happened, Yesung?”

“April 19.” Yesung swifts to other slide, showing the wormholes halts their motions. “That one’s April 13. There happened to be two timequakes only on 13th and 19th that lasts for 10-20 seconds. Its cause is still unknown. Probably it’s going to be easy if Siwon’s still here. He knows this stuff better than we do.” Yesung exits the hologram, eyes sleepy and covering his yawns with his hand. He turned around and solemnly stares at their previous colleague creation, what they always know as Time Travel device. Its gem-like form is what made it exceptional.

“Just a little bit more and it’s done,” Yesung sighed. “I doubt he’s a human. He’s almost beyond perfect. This isn’t something that even a smart human could create.”

Leeteuk smiled sadly at the statement while Hyukjae quietly agreed. The three of them stood in place remembering Siwon working on it alone desperately, giving his all for it until the day he decided to give up.

“He lost his purpose, that’s why he left it behind.” Leeteuk said almost like a whisper. “Or perhaps he knew better what it’s capable of if he were to finish it, bad or good.”

“Do you think he’s willing to return?” Yesung asked.

“We don’t know for that but it’s a good thing he didn’t finish it otherwise the superiors will snatch it away and took credit for it since he’s not part of us anymore.” Hyukjae smiled bitterly, resting his hands inside the lab jacket pocket walking towards the two standing figures.

“So what’s your hunch in our problem now?”

“This isn’t the first timequake.” Leeteuk stated. “That’s a fact.”

“Right, the first happened when Siwon was currently working on that gem. It’s likely he was trying out with the time plane that accidentally caused timequake but he managed to stabilize it. I have no idea how he did it.” Yesung continued.

“You’re not saying that Siwon might be the one who causing this?” Hyukjae asked gaining a smirk from Yesung.

“Nope, my hunch is telling me an outsider is messing around here.”