May 15

forget me not.

With eyes closed Hyukjae drink the cold hibiscus tea in one go and sighed in satisfaction. Beside him was Yesung drinking his hot chocolate yet sticking his tongue out when he felt it burning. He was the only one still in his white oversized lab coat despite now far away from their work building. On other side Siwon shifted his gaze between the two and the messy stuff on the living room’s table near the big LCD screen from time to time before sighing.

“So…”

“Siwon do you have cinnamon powder?” Yesung cuts. Siwon tilt his head towards the opened kitchen and Yesung search for it.

Hyukjae crossed his arms. “Now tell us about the sudden commotion.”

“What commotion are you talking about? There’s no commotion here.” Siwon shook his head, hoping the other could read the atmosphere.

“Well you suddenly told us to come here with your stuff that involves that.” Hyukjae points to the blue shiny object inside the transparent box, its glowing sight was captivating although the living room’s lights are on. “The last time I called you said you can’t go back. It’s completely a commotion for us.”

“Did I say anything about coming back?”

Hyukjae tilted his head, “Nope.”

“I’ll explain everything later. First let’s move everything to my work space.” Siwon walked towards the tall bookshelf and pull one of the books, causing the shelf to alter itself to the left giving the view of a large metal door. He placed his palm the middle of the door and the system scanned his whole body for identification. Instantly he’s welcomed by a robotic voice and the door inaudibly opens. The two figure behind him had their mouth opened, surprised by what they see for the first time in his house while he signals them to follow his lead towards his secret working space. Once they’re inside vanished from the living room sight the bookshelf went back to its proper place.

“This is amazing.” Hyukjae said and Yesung nodded. “You never told us about this!”

“It’s called secret working space.” Siwon rolled his eyes, preceded turning on the system’s room. Everything was switched on according to how Siwon wanted. Unexpectedly the working space didn’t look as high tech as their laboratory. The white wide room only consisted of three computers, glass wall in the middle of the room that’s useful to project whatever data needed to be seen, tables, chairs and small bed in the left corner of the room and complicated –looking blueprints which Hyukjae thought Siwon’s first drafts and lastly, something large in the right corner covered by a white cloak. Yesung stared at it since it catches his attention. He was about to unveil the thing when Siwon grabbed him by the arm, making him sit on chair and proceed keeping the device in the drawer.

“Everyone would love to see this.” Hyukjae grinned, looking around in admiration. “I guess this is why sometimes you were away for days and weeks. It looks comfortable working here without anyone watching.”

Siwon only nodded while checking on his latest report made a year ago before he left. There’s spark of something missing within. He doesn’t know what that is yet it’s quietly distressing. “You didn’t bring the rest, right?”

“Only what you told me.” Hyukjae shrugged now standing beside Siwon. “Now tell us what’s your plan. We’ll help you with anything.”

“Do so if you want to get fired.” Siwon said not averting his eyes from the sheets.

“Is it that serious?” Hyukjae takes the file away to have Siwon’s full attention. “Wait…Yah don’t tell me…You’re going to continue working on SB-010 right here?!”

Siwon looked away, sighing as he snatches the file from Hyukjae.

“Choi Siwon!”

“I have my reason.”

“Whatever that is they’re going to ing kill you for that.” Hyukjae said, almost yelling.

“Chill out Jerry, aren’t we already breaking the rule for bringing that gem here?” Yesung replied as he’s spinning his chair playfully. “Besides, they won’t dare to lay their hands on our Siwon. Otherwise they might lose a precious being that’s useful for their reputation. Think about it.”

“Yeah, b-but still— What Siwon’s planning to do is a death risk!” Hyukjae complained knowing that Siwon’s a freak risk taker. The man is known for his calm, smart, observant and unpredictable personality yet loved doing things according to his own way that at times offended the superiors. They couldn’t do anything other than letting Siwon do anything he wants knowing that he had been contributing masterpieces. “To do that you have to come back, that way they won’t kill you.”

“I don’t care what they’re about to do with me anymore. I’m just taking what’s mine but I’m not coming back, never.” Siwon sighed earning a concern look from Hyukjae. “I know how things work back there and I’m sure you guys are always aware about it. You may just quit if you heart tells you.”

“We know you quitted because you lose your purpose. But in this situation you used to be rational at least, reconsidering about your safety. We’re worried about you Siwon. Are you like this now because you’re not working with us anymore?” Yesung shot the same glare as Hyukjae. Unlike before, his voice sharp and clear without any bounciness indicating he’s gravely serious and wanted full explanation. The sudden mood change tensed the atmosphere. “If it’s not for us, what is it that changed your mind to work on SB-010 again?”

The silence is deepening while the clock is ticking endlessly. Siwon’s phone vibrates signifying a text from someone he’s been waiting for.

I’m outside.

He tapped the table leaving the two yet without explanation he went upstairs and gone out from the secret working space towards the front door and opening it without hesitation. “That’s two dollars.” Kyuhyun said with bouquet of white roses in his hand, staring at him with those innocent light brown eyes and plump lips in form of pout. The boy’s wearing thick looking purple sweatshirt that doesn’t suit the season yet would stood out enchantingly in crowds and white pants that fit perfectly for his legs. It would be odd for Siwon to admit that boy strangely looks captivating today. Others would mistake the scene that Kyuhyun is asking Siwon for a date since he’s holding the bouquet and dressed so casual yet perfect for date.

Instead of taking the roses and pay for the rest, Siwon signals the boy to come inside and trail him. With Kyuhyun standing behind holding bouquet of white roses Siwon opens the access towards the secret working space. The boy utters no comment as he’s surprised by what he sees. Yet it pretty much reminded him of his grandfather that used to have secret room behind his bookshelf.

“What are we doing?”

“Follow me.”

As they’re downstairs inside the wide room, Kyuhyun could see another two people he hardly recognized. His eyes averted between the two young professors with furrowed eyebrows while they exchange weird glances between Siwon and him.

“This is Cho Kyuhyun.”

Kyuhyun awkwardly stood in spot confused by the situation.

“Kyuhyun-ssi, that’s Professor Kim Yesung and Lee Hyukjae.”

To which the three only exchange glances in perplexity. After a moment of awkward silence he couldn’t take this anymore and face the man. He wanted to complain but the words somehow stuck in his throat when Siwon almost break their distance and takes the bouquet from Kyuhyun, placing them inside the empty vase on the table. The roses stood out beautifully, it fits the ambiance of the four white walls.

“Ah, I get it. Is the boy your reason?” Yesung assumed out loud which gain another puzzle look from Kyuhyun.

Facing the three, Siwon nods, “He’s the reason.” Yesung’s eyes softened.

“Does he know?”

“You got new purpose.” Hyukjae throw a suspicious glance at the innocent boy who probably knows nothing. “I bet you haven’t told him what you used to work for. He looked like he knows nothing.”

Kyuhyun received a calm and sincere look from Siwon that somehow ceased his tension. “Kyuhyun-ssi, by looking what’s around you can guess my previous profession.”

Kyuhyun looked around, quietly admiring the blueprints. He liked what he saw. It felt nostalgic to recall countless of messy blueprints his grandfather used to stick on the walls. It felt as if his grandfather’s here. “I see…Now I get what Changmin meant. He told me you were some kind of a professor back then. At first I didn’t want to believe it but…It reminded me how you easily grasped and understand my situation. Other people would’ve thought its nonsense.” Kyuhyun smiles softly that silently caught the others off guard. “I wasn’t wrong when I questioned your real background.”

“So what is he?” Hyukjae questioned in anticipation, eyeing the boy in sudden slight interest. “You never involve strangers in your project. He must be something then.”

“He’s six years from the past.”

“What?” Hyukjae and Yesung surprised in unison.

Kyuhyun shook his head at Siwon, panic arises. How the man could say it so bluntly as if it’s something normal?

Siwon smiled reassuringly. Kyuhyun sighed. It’s not that he doesn’t want to try trusting them. He just met them barely minutes ago. He noticed the raven haired man was now looking at him as if he’s some kind of rare creature from another planet that was sent down to Earth. He swore he could see stars in those calm eyes. While the red haired man had his eyes widen and wait, was that a look of admiration right there? Without doubt, they are looking at him with full of interest. What a drastic change.

“My plan is to return Kyuhyun-ssi to his original timeline.” Kyuhyun widened his eyes, yet doesn’t want to get his hopes high. “I want to try, at least.” For Kyuhyun it already sounded impossible. “It won’t be easy, I know. Time isn’t something you can play around with.” Yesung on the other side knew that very well. Siwon then faced the other two. “I need a hand. I don’t think I’m capable enough to do this alone.”

“…”

“You may leave this room if you don’t want to do it and pretend you heard nothing but if you agree lending a hand, know the consequences you’re taking.”

Hyukjae was biting his thumb while looking at Kyuhyun sharply, searching the sincerity in the boy’s eyes while contemplating Siwon’s offer. They seen no concrete proof from Siwon’s statement but, if they agreed helping Siwon, it means they would have to take a break from working at the federal government’s secret laboratory and take whatever consequences. Yesung pursed his lips, tilting his head at the boy at the same time scrutinizing him. He didn’t expect this new case would be interesting and they would need some time to accept the life risking offer.

**

It has been thirty minutes since the young professors left yet no words were exchanged. Kyuhyun was seated in Yesung’s previous spot, biting his lower lip while staring at Siwon who’s currently studying his papers acutely, seemingly not bothering the other’s presence.

“Is it really possible that you could bring me back there?” Kyuhyun asked in a whisper, breaking the awkward silence. Obviously only both can hear since there’s no sound at all in the room.

Siwon inaudibly closed the file, leaning against the chair’s headrest looking up at the white ceiling. “I can’t promise you but I could try.” Turning his chair towards the boy, he didn’t expect the boy had been staring at him with flicker of hope in his eyes. “I’ll start working on it tomorrow after school. Today I only need to scan you so I could place you into a form of data, after this session you can go back to the shop.”

“A-alright.” Kyuhyun didn’t really understand what Siwon mean but he’d follow the plan.

Siwon stood, walking towards the large object covered in white cloak. In a swift he unveiled the object. There appeared the view of a machine he created not long ago as a secondary support for SB-010. This is something he hasn’t explained to his colleagues. The machine mainly consisted of a thin white bed with blue transparent trails on its side fit for one person and two crescent shaped objects hovering on top face to face on its sides facing down, creating seemingly circular shape with medium sized clockwork filling the empty space. Kyuhyun had no idea how the shapes above the bed hovering on top without any support. Once again, the clock gears in medium size reminded him about his grandpa’s antique clock shop. Could this be a coincidence?

“Lay down there.” Kyuhyun obeyed reluctantly, now lying down on the bed facing the shapes hovering on top. Siwon the machine and the blue trails are glowing.

“Why didn’t you tell me about this before?”

“What? My old profession?”

Kyuhyun nods, suddenly having the urge to know more about the man.

“I worked for the federal government secret organization and there’s this rule about keeping our identity a secret. Perhaps I’m still following that …It’s a habit. The rule may not apply to me anymore but I don’t think telling everyone is worth a thing. Besides, I guess Changmin told you everything about me?”

“Well not everything but it sounds pretty cool though. Turns out you’re not lame, old man.” Siwon flicked Kyuhyun’s forehead causing him to winch in pain, now sitting facing the other that stood near before him. “What the hell?!”

“I’m not lame.”

Kyuhyun scoffed, “You have guts there!”

“That should be my line, kid. Now lie down and let’s do this fast so you can go back to the shop.” Siwon said calmly but Kyuhyun crosses his arms, challenging eyes penetrating his.

“Stop calling me kid, old man. I’m eighteen.”

“I’m not an old man, kid. I’m twenty-six.” Siwon defended.

“What?”

“Now lie down. You don’t want Madam Yuna to wait for you this long.”

“Always Madam Yuna this Madam Yuna that. You even call her for almost everyday! Tell me…You like her don’t you, old man?” Kyuhyun teased.

“Why not? She’s nice.” Siwon said casually making Kyuhyun frowned. He didn’t expect the older to just giving in easily, also not knowing why he doesn’t like the sound of it. Was it because he heard many guys had hit on her so he had the urge to protect her because she’s been like a mother figure for him? On the other side Siwon only played along with the tease, not knowing whether Kyuhyun was taking it seriously. Also, Kyuhyun was the reason why he called Madam Yuna everyday.

He wanted to makes sure Kyuhyun is doing well.

“You’re no different from the guys in her neighborhood.” Kyuhyun sighed. “Almost all of them are drooling for her. It’s been six years and nothing changed.”

“No wonder. She’s good-looking, kind, soft-spoke and a good wife material. Who wouldn’t fall for her?” Siwon continue with the play as he rests his hands on the bed, trapping Kyuhyun in between while holding the urge to chuckle at his reaction. Kyuhyun’s eyes were everywhere except him and he’s biting his lower lips, eyebrows deeply furrowed.

“T-Then why don’t you go ahead and d-date her?” Kyuhyun blurted out softly, looking away. Why was he stuttering? “Last dinner you both look good together.” He continued, recalling the moment when Siwon was invited to the Madam’s house for dinner. The three talked about several of things but the ones engaging well were Madam and Siwon while he just sat there gobbling downs his food as an awkward distraction.

Siwon heaves a small smile and poke Kyuhyun’s forehead. “That’s one compliment but I’m not attracted to her, kid.”

Kyuhyun sighed, pushing Siwon away. “How many times should I remind you that I’m not a kid? I’m almost as tall as you, can’t you see? In next three and five years I’ll be taller than you!”

“Alright, I’m looking forward for it and let’s see if we can still see that.” Siwon then make Kyuhyun to lie down on the thin bed.

“Of course we can, you have to see it! So you won’t call me kid anymore.”

“That’s not easy.”

Kyuhyun smirked, “Why? Are you scared?”

“No. Before that happens you’re already back to where you belong.”

The smirk on Kyuhyun then faded.

Click.

Feeling a force pulling him from behind so abruptly and sending his heart an electric shudder, Kyuhyun subconsciously holds Siwon’s arm as panic arises while trying to get up but to no avail since the bed is likely pulling his figure to stay still.

“Close your eyes and stay still. It’s going to take a while.” Siwon assured which Kyuhyun still followed despite the fear within that keeps growing. He patted before slowly pulled off from Kyuhyun’s hand, taking the shiny blue object from the nearest drawer and let the computer beside the machine scan the device.

Kyuhyun doesn’t know what Siwon’s planning to do at the moment but one thing he knows he doesn’t feel good. He hoped this could finish as soon as possible.

“Hurry up. I don’t like this.” Kyuhyun murmured before sleep drowns him away.