April 20

forget me not.

Siwon head to the teacher’s office and sighs in exhaustion after his body made contact with the comfortable seat. Not to mention there are bunch of papers stacked on the table. They are the test paper for the week. Apparently the students had their physics test. The subject is divided for 4 teachers and that was a total of 20 classes. Now it looks like he will be home late.

Night classes for the third year students are around until 10 at night. Fortunately he’s currently not in charge for the night classes. Best of luck to those 2 teachers, he thought as he walk out of the building. On his way to the park he spot a familiar figure seated on the gazebo. It was that boy who made suicide attempt yesterday night. He doesn’t know what made his body to approach the boy but it’s probably the instinct of a teacher to take care of their students.

“Hey, kid.” The closer he takes a look, the clearer the boy had his solemn look.

The boy lifts his head and forced a smile. “Oh, it’s you old man.”

“Skipping night classes?”

“No.”

“I won’t tell, anyway. When I was a student I used to skip night classes as well. They’re not that necessary.”

“How did you know I’m here? Don’t tell me you’ve been stalking…”

“I’m a teacher here.” As if he’s searching for him.

“Made sense.” From observing the boy’s behavior something must be wrong, or so he thought, “Then…since you’re a teacher here, do you mind treating me strawberry milk?” Siwon take a glance over the vending machine and back to the boy who has that sneaky kind of grin on his face. “I’m out of money and… a little bit thirsty.”

“Are you kidding me?” Siwon scoffed. Was that a trick?

“No, I’m serious. Remember the compensation?”

“I don’t remember ever making that deal with you.”

“Compensation always applies anytime and anywhere, old man.” The boy fires back.

“Never heard of that before.”

“It’s just something in my dictionary.”

“But not in mine, kid.” Perhaps the boy he’s talking to often made troubles at school or maybe having a hard time to maintain grades in the third year. Every student he knows experienced that and out of all he used to experience that too, he knows that feeling best. Siwon then buys the strawberry milk and throw it to the boy. A little treat wouldn’t be so bad.

“You serious? No way! I was joking!”

“Give it back.”

“No, I’ll take this! Thanks old man. Well maybe I shouldn’t call you that anymore after you gave me this.” The boy said in excitement. “I feel bad.”

Now he’s regretting it.

“That’s not a bribe.” Siwon takes back the milk and the boy stand, snatching it back.

“I’m going to keep calling you old man if you snatch it away from me again.” The boy threatens and it sounds like it works for Siwon, he doesn’t want to be called old man either. It doesn’t sound nice as everyone say he look pretty young and handsome for a 26 year old man. “And I’m going to keep doing it unless you stop calling me kid.”

“Oh so you’re negotiating now.” Siwon raised an eyebrow.

“Doesn’t sound like it.”

“I’m afraid you are.” Siwon scans the name tag on the boy’s uniform, “Cho…Kyu…Hyun-ssi. Mind telling me who’s your teacher and which class are you from?”

“You don’t want to know. Otherwise you’d report me for attempting suicide…” Kyuhyun cuts as he takes off his nametag. “No, I’m not attempting because that’s what you said, attempting suicide when I didn’t have a single motive to do so! It’s a waste anyway…I won’t be able to go back like this…” He murmurs as he looks away.

Siwon heard what he said as realizing the boy look the same as yesterday’s night, it clearly depicts the boy didn’t return home. That’s not surprising. As a teacher he could see the way boy look yesterday has obviously the look student who’d run away from home for some reason. The maroon blazer has transparent grey dirt while the white uniform underneath has small lining traces of soils. It wasn’t unusual for student to run away from home as they might return to their family den once realizing they couldn’t manage staying alone. Either they stayed at friends or relatives.

But this boy seems different. There’s something about his behavior that tells him so.

“I’ll take you home.”

“I’d like the offer but I can’t take it. I’m staying.”

Siwon sighs, “And do the same attempt again?”

Kyuhyun only smirked, crossing his legs as he stared at him. What’s with this suicidal boy? How many times is he going to repeat attempting it? The boy probably attempted doing it at the gazebo before he met him earlier. He can just leave the boy right now but the thought of him being the last person he met before suicide gave different path of possibilities—

Being a suspect of murder will be one of them.

The item in his pocket suddenly vibrates and he turns around, answering the call after seeing the caller. It’s Changmin. “Yes?

“Where the hell are you?”

“Still at school after checking test papers, I’m outside though. What is it?”

“I’ve been calling you ten times.”

“What? You didn’t.” It’s a fact he didn’t receive any notification.

“I did. Check your call log.” Siwon checks and Changmin’s right. There were ten missed calls. “I went to your house but there’s no one. I thought you were home since usually you’re home at five or six.”

“I did tell you, I had to check the test papers. Sorry about that…Maybe I didn’t realize you were calling. Busy hours, you see.”

“I see…” Changmin sighs behind, “Make sure to check the fridge later. I put something there for you.”

“Oh… Thanks.” Siwon look at his feet shifting the sand when suddenly Changmin hang up the call.

“Lover?” The boy teased behind while Siwon turn around and him an annoyed look. “Go home old man. There’s no point in worrying a stranger.”

“You may not be my students but you’re one of the students here. My job as a teacher is not only to teach the students but also to watch for them. I won’t make a move until you decide to go home.” Ok maybe he shouldn’t have said that. The boy’s gaze slowly turns soft before ducking his head, letting out a bitter chuckle. Siwon clearly doesn’t like how it sounds. Despite the boy just let out a chuckle, it sounded more like a sob for him.

“I can’t.”

“…” Siwon doesn’t know what the boy’s problem nor have the urge to ask him about it. He knows it may be personal as he too, have personal problems and dislike it when people pry. “You can’t stay another night outside like this.”

“…”

“You didn’t go home yesterday. Don’t you have anyone to ask for a place to stay?”

“…”

“There’s no other choice then. Follow me.” Siwon pull the boy’s arm and bring him to his car.

“W-wait! Old man, where are you touching?! Let me go! ” The boy tries to let go and Siwon just him in the back seat. “Yah!” Before the boy protest, Siwon sit on the driver’s seat and automatically lock the doors. He starts the engine and drives away. “Stop and open the door! This is kidnapping!”

“I’ll do what you say if you know where to stay for the night.”

“Well I have….” The boy stops fighting and slumps on the back seat. “No…place? But I can find a place to stay! Somewhere… maybe some store owner out there will let me stay for the night!”

“Do you have cash?”

“That…no.”

“That settles.”

“What?”

“I’ll let you stay at my house for the night.”

 

Siwon thought he remembered the boy was fighting in the back seat, more like boasting to go out of the car. But there the boy was, seated oppositely from him just a distance away with orange long sleeves exceptionally bigger than his small figure. Not that the boy was all small, he has a stable and healthy body proportion however right now Siwon seemed a little bit surprised at the scene before him.

The boy is gobbling down the food he cooked like someone who hasn’t eaten for days. There are small bit of rice sticks on his cheek but that doesn’t seem to matter. The sight is surprisingly heartwarming. At the same time Siwon was pleased the boy actually enjoyed his cooking (For the honest part it wasn’t exactly his cooking. It was Changmin’s and he only did the heating-up part.) He apologized to Changmin in his mind and make sure to give the man the credit. Kyuhyun openly asked for a second serving which Siwon gladly give. When the plates and bowl are empty, Kyuhyun stand up and wash the dishes. Siwon watch from the place and signals the boy to sit back.

“Feel free to move around the house as you like. Make yourself comfortable here.” Siwon told the boy who played with the hem of his big sleeves. Why was he speaking like that as if the boy might stay at the house longer? It’s too late to take back words, “There are snacks and fresh drinks in the fridge but, don’t touch the alcohol.”

“I know old man.”

“You…” Siwon crossed his legs and eyes the boy confused, “After all these you’re still bold calling me ‘old man’?”

“Was everything a bribe?”

“No.” Siwon rolled his eyes, “Would you prefer me leaving you out there?”

“Nope! Well I could say this is better! I like this place. For a teacher like you having this big house is a rare sight!” The boy stretches his arms and lean on the seat, not forgetting to plaster that innocent smirk, “Why old man eh…? That’s because I don’t know your name, make sense?”

That’s right, he hasn’t told the boy his name yet. Siwon can’t blame the boy no more.

“Choi Siwon.”

“Alright, no more old man.” Kyuhyun nods, “Which should I call you with? Siwon-ssi? Mr. Choi? Teacher?”

“Mr. Choi.”

“We’re not at school so why should I call you that?” Kyuhyun complains. “Calling you teacher sounds weird so I’m going to call you Siwon-ssi.”

They exchange no more words and ready to themselves to their separate rooms. Earlier Siwon tour the boy to the room across the living room and lent him everything he could. He would’ve given the boy the right clothing size if he has one. But the boy said he could wear anything as long as it’s comfortable. So he gave him orange long sleeved clothing and black pajama pants, both size couldn’t help but bigger than the boy’s. Fortunately the boy didn’t spare any complain.

Siwon was about to open the door when the boy suddenly approach him.

“What?”

“Thanks for today.” The boy said as he looks down. “I couldn’t imagine myself staying outside for another day…Thank you, Siwon-ssi.”

“…”

“I’m cooking the breakfast tomorrow, if you allow me to.”

“You may do so.” Siwon gave the permission.

“Can I have spare time tomorrow to dry my uniform before I leave?” Siwon holds his laughter, why is the sight seems funny? Just a few moments ago the boy was bold, and now he’s being soft? He somehow reminded him of Changmin.

“Of course you can…. anything else?”

“No.” The boy shook his head and look at Siwon in the eye. Once their eyes meet Siwon who couldn’t hold his laughter heaves a chuckle and look away. “What’s funny? Is there something on my face?”

“No it’s just…I gave you the permission to do whatever you want here. Make yourself comfortable so…You don’t have to ask those things anymore. Just do it your way.” Siwon said, “Got it?”

“Yes…”

“Good night Kyuhyun-ssi.”

“Good night.”

Siwon throws himself to the bed breathe the fresh scented bed cover before falling into a deep slumber.