May 20

forget me not.

Kyuhyun hadn’t move from his seating position on the couch while biting his thumb. Hyukjae did the same as he paced back and forth still attempt in calling Siwon yet to no avail. On the other hand Yesung tried tracing Siwon’s phone number only to have the same fail result.

“So he’s not in lab either?”

It has been more two hours since Siwon left and hasn’t come back.

The raven haired man sighed for the tenth time.

“Don’t tell me they got him…” Hyukjae groaned, slumping on couch beside the frozen boy. “It’s expected they will know about this soon.”

“Who? Our superiors right hand?”

“Who else!” Hyukjae snapped.

“Hyuk, the idea of them knowing what we’ve been doing behind is just ridiculously hideous.” Yesung insisted despite feeling a spark of nervous too. “If what you’re saying is true, now I expect them by the door. Feel free to prepare for the arrestment.”

“I-if that’s the case, what’s going to happen to Siwon? I-Is he going to be okay?” Kyuhyun asked nervously only to receive a confuse look from both. Ah – They didn’t know both had disclosed the formality. “I guess…not.” He murmured dejectedly.

“Hey, kid. You sure Siwon didn’t say anything else other than going for groceries?” The red haired man pries, only to get no answer from Kyuhyun who kept on biting his thumb in anxiety just like him. That pretty much annoyed him. Is this what others feel when they ask him and get the same reaction? He heaves a quiet sigh. The boy must be worried about Siwon. “Like, maybe he was in hurry or showing signs of…” Then he remembered his brilliant-smartass friend is one hell of a calm man. “That…Never mind.”

“He was…In hurry. He knew you guys would come and I think he doesn’t want to keep you waiting. I wanted to come along but he insisted going alone.” Kyuhyun said. Five hours is fast but oddly now it felt like years. Even the ticking of his old grandpa’s clock sounds menacing. “I should’ve…”

They’re not conscious enough of the door bell until the third rings reaches their ears one at a time.

Alarmed, Kyuhyun stands but Hyukjae pulls him to sit again. Yesung walks towards the doorway, checking who is outside by the video intercom.

“Is it them?”

“Please let go.” Kyuhyun frees his hand from the red haired man. “It could be Siwon.”

“Or not. They could be those people coming to arrest me and Yesung!” Hyukjae argues when his phone releases a notification sound, indicating an email or message. While he’s checking his phone, Kyuhyun takes the chance to walk towards the other older who is staring at the small intercom screen.

“Who is that?” Yesung refers to the figure in black hoodie by the door.

“I don’t know. Siwon’s friend, maybe?” Kyuhyun is about to press the button that would allow the visitor to come in when Hyukjae reached his arm and push him a few steps away from the door.

“Don’t.” Hyukjae said in a warning tone.

Kyuhyun frowned as he yank his arm from him again, not getting what the older just did.

“This kid…” Hyukjae scoffed.

“I’m not a kid!” Kyuhyun said, feeling frustrated.

“Listen when your elder talk.”

“I won’t, unless you tell me the reason why I can’t open the door.”

“You’re really an annoying kid, you know that?”

“Annoying? So the one who says so?”

“Stop it. Hyuk.” Yesung said calmly, the same as the boy he’s not getting it either. At times like this why are they even bickering? He shook his head at the unbelievable thought.

Hyukjae sighs and show his phone to the two males.

Don’t leave the place or trust anyone from outside.

Don’t worry about Siwon. He’s with me.

Kyuhyun feels a sudden rush of relieve when he reads the second sentence. Knowing Siwon is safe somehow is more than enough for him, not to mention for the other two too. Despite the good news Yesung still looking tensed as his mind is clouded with the first message.

Same goes for Hyukjae whose mind battling whether to trust such vivid message from an unknown number. Whoever sent them must’ve been aware of the state, either before or after Siwon went missing.

The top question that take over their head,

Who is the sender?

How Hyukjae does received the message at the time when the stranger is outside? Does that mean the sender have them in watch too? Kyuhyun looked over to the video intercom again to find no one in sight.

“Great.” Hyukjae throws his hands in the air. “In conclusion, we’re stuck here!”

“Not really.” Yesung moves to sit on couch and pour himself a glass of water. Stuck huh? He’s already missing his turtles. He takes a sip before continuing, lazy eyes glancing at his friend. “It’s not like we never stay in the same place for more than a day. Think about our second home, the lab.”

“Don’t mention lab. We’re in a different circumstance right now. Our lives are at stake.” Hyukjae emphasizes.

Another notification came and Kyuhyun shifts closer to Hyukjae to see what the new message is all about. “In the mean time, watch for SB-010 and Kyuhyun?” He reads the message and paused, then looks at the boy with his eyebrow raised. “What’s this gotta do with you, kid?”

“I have no idea.” Kyuhyun walks away from the man and slumps down to the couch beside Yesung, who has stared at him in deep curiosity – more like interest – since Hyukjae reads the new message. If Siwon’s time machine is involved, chances of this situation being the fruit of his problem are more likely no less. The thought of Siwon went missing might be because of him, it made his heart racing in anxiety.

He sighs and feels a hand patting his back in comfort.

“Don’t take it to heart. He might sound like blaming you after this but he’s actually worried for us.” Kyuhyun looked at him, eyebrows raised.

“Strange nature, huh? Also, we don’t know for sure what’s really happening until we hear everything from Siwon.” Yesung said calmly with a small smile, shifting his gaze back to his laptop; generates it and starts typing. “For now let’s wait for him. I’m sure he’ll be back –” His words are cut as he cursed silently,

“Hyuk! We have a small problem here. Another timequake is detected.”

Kyuhyun averts to the laptop that is showing a two wormhole, on the right side colored green, it’s figure moving while red in contrary, it’s figure freezing. At first look he didn’t get what it depicts but the longer he stares at it, the longer he realizes what they’re showing. Hyukjae heaves a patience sigh before sitting beside his colleague, his sharp eyes reading through the data showed on screen.

* * *

The street wasn’t silent nor that busy. It was full of people coming here and gone, laughter of children in their youth days, parents walking together with their kids and shop owners busy handling their customers for living expenses. As the boy’s voice woke him up from his implausible blind roller-coaster experience, with his hand subconsciously still holding his, he looked around wondering what kind of place he ended up to.

“Excuse me? What are you doing?” A male voice with detest-like tone turned him around. It took Siwon a few seconds to recognize the young figure. “Let go of him.”

But his word was halted when the younger version of Donghae hurriedly snatches the boy – his nephew – from him.

“Please go before I report you for kidnapping attempt.” Donghae said coldly that doesn’t suit his demeanor. Apparently his words have gotten quite an attention from others. “Let’s go Kyu. I always told you to never talk to strangers. How stubborn of you…”

“Uncle, this old man didn’t try to kidnap me.” The little Kyuhyun suddenly spoke, looking kindly between him and his uncle. “I accidentally grabbed him. I thought he was you. I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to talk to strangers.”

Donghae didn’t give him any last glance before walking away with his nephew hand in hand, unlike the boy who looked back at him for a moment with those similarly doe eyes.

Siwon shook his head as he stared at them, wordlessly confused how he should start. What kind of coincidence is this, meeting the young Donghae and Kyuhyun right away after being travelled to the past for God-only-knows how many years? Still standing in spot he looked around for clue. Right by the disc shop, a small chalkboard stood. On it is written,

Buy three CD’s, get one for free! Short promo starting from May 18 – 20, 2003.

For a moment he felt his body weakened.

Ten years to the past…

Did Ryeowook do this on purpose so he’d meet their younger version, for what purpose? He gripped his fist, it’s pretty frustrating. He has no idea what’s happening and yet…The petite could’ve leaved him anywhere else – even for better, put him back straight to his apartment where Kyuhyun is waiting. He witnessed the petite has the ability that entirely exceeds human capability. Why must he send him off ten years to the past?

“Wait! Donghae-ssi!” Siwon catch up to their steps and stopping ahead of them, blocking their way. He received another glare from Donghae. Where’s the bubbly and friendly uncle that visited him?

Out of blue a hand grabbed Siwon’s from behind, within a blink the next thing he knows clashes of wave reaches his ears. On the sandy ground where their feet lie, before the ocean they stood. The owner of the hand that’s holding his gives a friendly smile. Still staggered by another sudden change of location, Siwon didn’t return them instead; he removes his hand slowly from the other grip.

Where are we now?”

“We’re back to your timeline. I believe telling that Donghae where you come from is a bad plan. Good thing I caught you on time. Otherwise everything would turn out differently.” Ryeowook said, still smiling so friendly. “I apologize for my mistake. I’m supposed to bring you here after you witnessed something you shouldn’t have as an apology. I think this beautiful place is calming enough after such encounter. How are you feeling now, Siwon-ssi? Was it nerve wrecking?”

The wind rises, blowing their hair altogether. Siwon sighs. “Kindly explain to me everything, Ryeowook-ssi. Who… and what exactly are you? Seeing from what happened earlier…You and that person who attacked me doesn’t belong here.”

“Yes. I don’t belong here. I’m what you can call a special entity, neither an alien nor angel. I was sent down to Earth ten years ago and assigned to watch Kyuhyun-ssi and you, as well as the people that you’re both near with. That includes your colleagues and Kyuhyun-ssi family.”

Siwon narrow his eyes. To watch Kyuhyun and him? That sounds like a guardian angel and yet… The petite mentioned he’s not one of it either.

“I could say… Almost all beings on Earth have our entities watching. However, that’s all depending on our Chief. It’s not only valid for living things but for the life and condition of this planet as well, may it be internal or external. We report everything to our Chief who assigned us here. We do anything that’s been told and obeying the given protocols.”

“That’s saying… This whole time you’ve been watching us?”

“Precisely.”

“You approached us on purpose.”

“That’s true.”

“You lied –”

“That, about everyone who can’t remember Kyuhyun-ssi existence, I don’t. That’s a real situation there. Please recall everything that Donghae told you.” Ryeowook smiled, giving the other a knowing look.

So he knew… Siwon thought.

“I know you already met him.”

“So Donghae-ssi is also part of this…” Remembering his encounter with Donghae and the man saying ‘those people’ will tell him the details. Did Donghae refer to the special entity that stood beside him?

“He mentioned me? I’m flattered.” Siwon tensed. Can he stop reading his mind? “Donghae is not entirely part of this. He’s only cooperating with us through the Chief’s propose until everything’s settled. The rest is classified.”

Now Siwon knows where that kind of ‘classified’ talk from.

“I still don’t get why he didn’t just fetch Kyuhyun back to where he belong. Won’t that make things easier? ”

“I like that, a very common idea.” Ryeowook smirked. “He and I would’ve done that too but that’s not according how the timeline flows, the Chief said.”

“Hmm… He said the same thing. How is it supposed to flow then?”

“Classified.”

Siwon felt a déjà vu, just like his first time meeting Donghae.

“It makes sense that you can remember Kyuhyun because you’re a special entity in duty to watch over him. What does that make Changmin who remembers him too? Is it because they’re best friends?”

“He’s a particular case. That’s all I could say.”

It’s getting his nerves.

“Who attacked me and why? What did I do wrong?”

“The one who attacked you earlier have the same identity as ours but with different duty. He is…”

For a few moments silence dominates Ryeowook as he looked at the sky intently, his eyes telling as if he’s engaging into conversation with something that Siwon can’t see.

Thing that Ryeowook told him, it took quite a time to absorb them. They are somewhat unbelievable but in life, for something that we thought didn’t exist actually exist is uncommon. Siwon is a witness. This is all new to him.

The petite smiled sadly. “As for why and whom he is – again – it’s classified. You did nothing wrong. I’m sorry I can’t do or tell things that aren’t permitted by our Chief, even though I very much want you to know. Are things I said hard to believe?”

Siwon can’t deny that, but who is this someone Ryeowook keep calling Chief anyway? “After what happened… I believe you.”

“You’re saying that as if you had no choice.” Ryeowook sigh a smile.

“Is… your Chief here with us?” Somehow Siwon felt weird for asking such.

“Yes, he’s always listening. He’s telling me what’s and not’s to tell you.”

“I see…Thank you for saving me back there.” Siwon said as remembered not thanking the petite before.

“Don’t mind. Making sure you’re safe and protected is my duty. The attack results a clinical error in my system. Quite damage, it’s the reason why I accidentally travelled you ten years to past instead of bringing you here.”

“I thought you did that on purpose. Bringing me to the young Kyuhyun and Donghae-ssi…”

“It’s because that time I thought of them.” Siwon raised his eyebrows. I guess even special entities have feelings too…They’re not too far different from humans.

“What’s the reason of your duty?”

“You mean?”

“You were sent here to watch me and Kyuhyun. Why?”

Tranquility takes them again.

Siwon slightly look at him who now has a peculiar expression. He noticed there’s mix of grimace, hurt and… sympathy from the petite. It’s that face you see that made you concern, thinking that something is wrong somewhere between small spaces. Ryeowook takes a deep silent breath. This time, the ocean follows. The silence is menacing that he could feel chills running down his spine. No more clashing of waves, the gentle winds as well stopped their role.

* * *

Kyuhyun – still with his thumb on lips – anxiously pacing around the front door as he kept on thinking Siwon’s whereabouts when he heard it getting unlocked. He stopped, eyes glued to the door. It grabbed others attention too that they did the same.

The figure they’ve been waiting for walked in evenly, hangs his black cap on the coat hanger and taking off his shoes. When his eyes shortly met Kyuhyun, the bow shaped lips faintly turn upwards. Kyuhyun thought he saw a dissimilar glint than what those smile of reassurance portray, however he shrugs them off and tried offering the same for him.

“Welcome back.”

“Thanks.”

The boy scans him from head to toe. “I guess you’re alright.” He murmured. “Where have you been? We waited long.”

“No. That didn’t take longer than we thought!” Hyukjae said, now standing beside the youngest of all. Seconds later their other colleague follows with laptop in hands. Was that sarcasm? Half yes, half no. Getting worried over a thing is something that annoys him to the core. “Now you’re back that’s all matters. Though…” He shows the text message they received to the genius professor. “You need to explain this.”

Siwon blinked at it, as if he didn’t read at all and walked pass them towards his private lab. “I almost get caught by the superior’s right hand. A friend helped. Let’s continue where we left.”

The three looked at each other before trailing behind him.

“We received that at the time when a stranger tried to visit your place. Also…There’s another timequake…” Yesung paused. His laptop screen shows no apparent timequake has happened. No more reds, everything is stabilized. A gasp escaped his lips. “It’s gone…But how…?”

“A friend helped.” Siwon repeated as he activates everything in lab. On the contrary Kyuhyun sits on the bed, legs on his chest and arms rested on it as he intently watches Siwon begin to work with his colleagues. He couldn’t understand, despite Siwon is all back in piece, the way the man looks at everything is different. Especially when Siwon eyes met his, they were telling something that Kyuhyun yet to comprehend.

“Siwon, don’t you think the SB-010 form is too plain and noticeable? Its round and…pretty heavy.” Yesung said as he’s holding the blue glowing object. “You said the superiors almost caught you. It’s obvious they already know you have this with you. It’s also very clear they’re running after your greatest creation. Should we change its form?”

“True…If you change they won’t be able to find it.” Hyukjae slowly nods, reconsidering the idea. “But it might take quite a time.”

Siwon hands them blueprints. “Alright, why don’t you start re-designing?”

Yesung widened his eyes in excitement. Who would’ve know the day finally comes when he get to redesign one of Siwon’s project? “W-wait, you sure you don’t mind?”

“I don’t. I’m open with ideas you guys have.”

“Don’t you have to start over again?”

“That’s needless because this…” Siwon touches the round object, “Is only a shell. The energy and power inside is what’s most crucial. Any form doesn’t matter.”

“Then…How about make it less… significant?” Yesung suggests.

“Less significant and unrecognizable…How’s that?” Hyukjae smirked, placing the blueprints on the wide table and start drawing.

What actually happened when Siwon isn’t there with them? As the question keeps on hitting his head, he feels the uninvited drowsiness came. The last thing he saw is the glimpse of the man’s uneasy look before he gradually falls asleep.

Kyuhyun open his eyes and found himself not in the same room as before. With the surrounding nearly dark, he lands his feet on the cold wooden floor and drowsily walked out of the room he temporarily stayed in. Unfamiliar images appear in his head but he shrugged them away. How long did he sleep and how did he get there? Perhaps among the three of them carried him there. As he stepped into the living room he sees Siwon seated on the dining chair holding a big mug, outwardly staring at a blank space. Looking from afar it’s like a father waiting for his child to wake up.

Kyuhyun groggily rub his eyes and sits oppositely from the man. “What time is it?”

“It’s midnight. Would you like to eat? You haven’t had your dinner.”

Kyuhyun shook his head and blinks a few times. Now that he’s entirely awake, he looks at Siwon who averts his eyes when meeting his. He then stared at the table with a slight frown. Is Siwon avoiding him? “I’m not hungry.” He poured himself a glass of water and finished it in one go. “How’s the work going?”

“I say we can finish it in three months or less.” Siwon sips his drink, “Hyukjae and Yesung are currently redesigning my time machine. They want to make it into a more efficient form, smaller than it is now. Once everything’s complete you can return home.”

Kyuhyun pour his drink again then glance at Siwon. “Can I ask you something?”

Siwon smiles softly, “Next time when you do there’s no need for that. What is it?”

“What happened today has nothing to do with your superiors. Isn’t it?”

“What makes you say that?”

“When I woke up I remember something. When I was young I went along with my uncle who wanted to buy something when I accidentally grabbed a strangers hand and…” He tried hard recalling what he suddenly remembers this afternoon. “He had a small argument with him. That stranger was…you.”

“…”

“It’s weird to suddenly remember that, before I never recall ever meeting you. Timequake also happened today. Siwon, you didn’t possibly went back to past, right?” Kyuhyun asked straightforwardly,

“You’re dreaming.”

“I don’t think so.” Kyuhyun convinced. “I thought we’re in this together. You’re involved in this because of me. I know very well that I’ve put a burden on you however don’t you think I also have the right to know anything regarding this? I’m not stupid Siwon. What you did…You just altered my history. My grandpa said one is prohibited doing so, whatever small or big changes one did.”

Siwon stands from his seat. Again, he avoided his eyes. “I think you’re still sleepy. You should go back to sleep now. It’s already late.”

Is the man kidding with him right now? How could he say he’s still sleepy when he just said all of that? Kyuhyun softly scoffed as he stands from his seat too, giving the man a disappointed look in disguise. He turned around and walking ahead until he reaches the front door. At times like this in someway he needs a fresh air. Ignoring the calls behind him he stormed out mindlessly, stopping before the elevator, his feet tapping the marbled floor as he waited for the door to open.

When it does a figure inside walked out…

It takes him a few seconds feel a sharp pain in his abdomen. Froze in spot he touched his stomach, looking down only to see a red liquid staining his clothes and hand. Kyuhyun fell on his knees as a soft trembling gasp escape his lips. He wanted to scream but can’t. In eyes full of terror he looked ahead to the figure crouching down before him. He couldn’t see his face yet only lips that are whispering incoherent words. When he felt his body getting weaker he dropped his body on his back and closed his eyes when he heard screams.

Now he sees blurry figures ahead him.

“Damn it! K-Kyuhyun ah! Hang in there!”

“Siwon…”

He never had seen Siwon in fright before. Those tears…Is he crying?

“Hey, it’s alright, he’s going to be okay.” A figure in white, his back facing him places his hand on Siwon’s shoulder, patting in gently. “Stop it. I really hate seeing you cry. This moment will pass soon. He’d do a good job for staying alive.”

Who is that?

“Cho Kyuhyun.” The figure called his name softly, “You’ll feel more pain if you keep staying awake. Sleep. We’ll take care of this.”

Slowly his eyes are closing until he sees the figure leaving in loud steps, then once again he fell into darkness arms.

A/N : It’s been quite long since I did an update. I know the plot is a little bit obscure (maybe I should make it into a simple one? I don’t know if I can because I’m having fun with this haha.) and this might be a long chaptered story so I’d like to know, do you guys still want to keep reading this story? I really appreciate those who still read this story. Thank you so much!