April 21

forget me not.

Siwon woke up early morning and fix himself with casual home clothing since its weekend. Sometimes he’d spend his weekend either at Changmin’s or by himself at home. He read books up to three a day and watch cooking show and learn new recipe, he would watch horror movies which barely scary enough to give him the old thrills or just sat there in teacher’s mode preparing for upcoming class. It sounds boring but that’s what he mostly does at weekends.

He went to the laundry room to find everything’s finished which was strange. He doesn’t remember finishing the pile of laundry for the week. Who touched them? If it’s not him then there’s only one person who did, that boy. Perhaps that boy did when washing the school uniform. Shrugging, he doesn’t mind his laundry being washed by others but this is about the person he just knew. A stranger he met two days ago. Siwon felt odd that he walk out of the room but remind himself to thank the boy later. The surprise isn’t over when he’s viewed with a polished living room.

Everything looks clean.

“Ten minutes late.” Siwon avert his eyes at the boy with the school uniform who is seated on the dining chair with food before him. “Food is getting cold you better hurry.”

“You don’t have school today.”

“I just want to wear them.”

The boy could’ve asked for other clothes, he wouldn’t mind lending them.

Siwon brings himself to sit on the dining chair opposite from the boy. This moment reminds him of yesterday night but role switched. He is now staring at the foods cooked by the boy.

“This is…”

Kyuhyun start eating, “Breakfast. I told you I’d make one.”

“It’s more like…”

Feast, that’s the right word. Siwon wouldn’t be surprised if the boy secretly invited his friends to the house but that would be considered very rude.

“Is this too much? I should’ve made lesser.”

“No it’s … these looks great.” Siwon said before start eating. “And… tastes good too.” He didn’t lie about that. Compared to the one he cook yesterday the boy’s food tastes better. On the table are plenty of side dishes (he doesn’t even know those ingredients can be found in the fridge.) and most importantly soups and bowls of rice enough for more than two servings. They finish the entire breakfast with spotless plates and bowls, Siwon offered to wash the dishes.

“Thanks for today.”

“That’s the least I can do.” Kyuhyun stare at Siwon washing the dishes. “The broken grandfather clock at the corner… Where did you buy it?”

“Someone gave it to me.”

“I didn’t ask who.”

“I don’t remember where but it was my lucky day getting that for free.” Now that the boy mentioned, Siwon never really pay attention to that grandfather clock. “It’s the fake one I guess.”

“For free? No way, are you serious? I doubt, it looks very antique.” Kyuhyun glance at the standing tall decoration. “Must’ve cost a lot.”

“Do you like it?”

“Hmm, I’m not a fan of them but they’re not so bad. Anyway, I thought you were living alone. I saw a picture of you and…”

“That’s my wife.” Siwon said as he sips the cup.

“You don’t look like a married man.” Kyuhyun stops, “Your wife, she’s very beautiful.”

“I used to be a married man. My wife died on a car accident three years ago.” Siwon stated and the boy immediately looks at him with waves of guilt. “The car collided, I survived but my wife didn’t.”

“I’m sorry.”

“You don’t have to feel bad.” Siwon forced a smile. “Need more sugar?”

“No it’s perfect.” Kyuhyun stuttered then savors the warm chocolate. “I sort of know how… it feels to lose someone dear. My parents died on plane crash when I was five and that’s why grandpa raised me. On my fifteenth birthday grandpa told me everything. I could only think it happened because it was meant to happen. We live our life constantly, there’s no guarantee to prevent such disaster. Of course I feel sad but it’s more like I feel bad for them and for myself.” Siwon didn’t expect the boy to tell him a bit of his personal life. First, the boy didn’t live with his parents but his grandpa had raised him all long. So it didn’t sum up the conclusion about the boy’s motive of wandering outside for two days straight. If it wasn’t because of family then what? Siwon couldn’t help but feel curious. Although it wasn’t something he should be prying about despite he gave the boy a temporary shelter.

“Sorry to hear that.”

“You sound sad when you mentioned your wife’s death…But you didn’t look sad at all.”

It may sound like a murmur to others but Siwon heard that right.

“We should at least tell your grandfather that you’re safe.”

Kyuhyun sighs, “I wish I could.”

“Would you like me to call?” Siwon asks as he open his phone’s menu, no more looking at the other.

“You don’t know the number anyway.”

“I can ask the school. Don’t worry, I wont report you.” Siwon shows screen to the boy which has school phone number on it with his thumb ready to press the call button. The boys abruptly yelled and make a move to snatch the phone. Taken aback and confused by the bold move, Siwon immediately walk nearer to the boy to have his phone back. But the boy runs to the corner while trying to do something with the phone, cursing under his breath while pressing anywhere on the device frantically. “Give that back.”

“No! Please, you can’t call the school.”

“…”

“The school can’t know.”

Siwon doubt him because that sounded like a cheap made-up lie. “I told you I won’t report to the school. We’re just going to tell your grandfather that you’re safe here. Isn’t he going to be worried about his grandson not coming home for two days or… maybe more?”

The boy looks at him with uneasy look before threatening to smash the phone. “If you don’t stop, I’m going to do this.”

Siwon sighs and turn around, “Go ahead, kid. I still have the other one.”

“Wait!” Siwon heard the boy called and footsteps approaching him. He turns around again and grips both of the boy’s arms, taking that moment to snatch back his phone for good. Siwon smirked but fade away in short when he felt the boy tensed in his grip and shot him a spontaneous glare. From the first moment he met the boy, it’s the first time he seen him this close. The glare wasn’t cold. Instead, there lies fear and confusion. Most people might think they are and mistook them for hostility.

Either the boy would throw tantrum Siwon didn’t remove his grip and still call the school. It was weekend for the teachers and there is only normal staff working. The call is forwarded to the one in charge of keeping the every student personal information.

“Good morning this is Choi Siwon from Physics department… Yes, a teacher… I need you to do me a favor. Can I have the full information of a student named Cho Kyuhyun? …”

“You can. May I know for what reason? We are not to give the student’s personal information to anyone if it’s not necessarily needed.”

“Sorry, not the full information however…I just need the contact of his guardian. It’s urgent.”

“Alright, please wait.”

“Okay, thank you.” Siwon said and Kyuhyun duck his head down, not trying the advantage to release the grip despite Siwon already weakened his arms.

“Uhm…We got it here. I will send it to you through email.”

“Thank you and sorry for the trouble, have a nice day.” Siwon drop his phone off his ears and release Kyuhyun from his grip. The boy sighs, scratching the back of his neck. Siwon doesn’t understand what made the boy to act like something was about to end when contacting his grandfather was the thing he’d like to do to help and return the boy. His phone beeps indicating he got an email and he rushed to check it. There was no personal information but there are two phone numbers listed each with name on the side just as his request. The first one is with the name Lee Moon Shik while the other one Lee Donghae. Now which one is the boy’s grandfather? Siwon wonders and pick any number and make a call.

“The number you are calling is not assigned…”

Siwon cancels and pick the last number—Lee Donghae.

Like the first try it doesn’t work either.

“The numbers didn’t work.”

“Thought so…”

“I didn’t type them wrong…” Siwon frowns, “Did you write random phone numbers when you fill the students form?”

“No.” Kyuhyun shot his head at him and look away in an instant, “Of course not.”

“How come you know it won’t work?” Siwon eyes the boy.

“….”

“Where do you live?”

“Seoul in… wait. What does that have to do with where I live? You’re sounding like a detective interrogating a suspect and looking for witness for more evidence. I’m telling the truth, I didn’t write them wrong. All the personal information I wrote there are pure, including the numbers. If I did then it violates the school’s rule. It was written on top before the form box. You’re a teacher there so you should know it too. My grandpa and uncle were there when I fill the form-” Kyuhyun paused, closing his eyes and walk away. “Forget it.”

“I’m not finished here with you. Where are you going?”

“Actually, I planned to explain further as gratitude but… I doubt you would believe me.” Kyuhyun said from afar and return holding his bag. “I’m leaving.”

“Why do you think I won’t believe you?”

Kyuhyun locks his eyes on the other. “Why do I think you won’t believe me you ask? The fact that I told you on the day you throw me to the ground that what I did wasn't suicidal but either way you kept on stating that I did was enough to tell me you won’t believe anything I say. Oh and you doubt me for writing down false information. I never told a lie. What’s the reason that you took me in?”

That question hits him. Siwon never gave any thoughts on that. He just gives the boy a shelter to stay in reflex but… what was it because? Because he doesn’t want the boy to do another suicidal attempt or perhaps he felt pity on him? Is it because he’s only doing his job as a teacher to take care of the students? The boy could’ve been one of his students but also from the other building. Does that make any difference?

“I was trying to help you.”

“There’s…nothing you could do to help me. I really appreciate your help Siwon-ssi. Thank you for the hospitality.”

The last thing he saw were strands of hair blown by the wind before the door was closed.