Chapter III

This is Our Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

III

 

 

“Hey Kit. I have a question for you?” Soo Young asks the woman sitting beside her.

After 4 days in Japan (3 days for conference and 1 day for Disneyland), they are now flying back to Seoul. Both of them are vocal that they want to stay for a few more days but their responsibility is holding them back. They are on their senior year in university. Projects and thesis are waving at them and calling them to go back.

“You still have ques… Ouch!”

Seung Wan rubs her shoulder. She notices that Park Soo Young has a habit of hitting her, a lot. It started when she is laughing while listening to the joke of the speaker. Park Soo Young hits her 5 times. FIVE! Then, Seung Wan teases her while they are having lunch, another slap and so on. Every time there is a chance for her to slap Seung Wan, she will.

“You are annoying.” Soo Young sticks out her tongue.

“My point is you still have question.”

“Well, I’m a curious type.”

“I can agree on that. Ouch.” See. Soo Young enjoys hitting her.

“I’m serious, Kit.”

There are unexplainable things in this world and one of it is Soo Young. Son Seung Wan cannot predict the red hair. Sometimes she will be the most playful person in this world. The following day she will be the reincarnation of Einstein who is curious about the world.

“Fine, what is your question?”

“Really?!” Slap!

A loud slap followed by a blinding smile shown on the red hair. Seung Wan needs sunglasses to protect her eyes. Most importantly, she needs an armor to protect her fragile body from unending slap given to her. How can a tall slender body be so strong? Seung Wan will believe if Soo Young will tell her that she is part of the Amazon. She also remembers the drama she watched on TV. Maybe she is Strong Woman Do Bong Soo?

“I change my mind. No question for you.” Seung Wan prepares herself and dodge the slap.

“Huh! I’m great.” She playfully flexes her muscles.

“I hate you.” Soo Young sticks out her tongue.

“I’m just kidding, My y cutie Kat!” Seung Wan squishes the red hair’s cheeks.

“Really, My short little Kit?” The latter squishes Seung Wan’s cheeks.

“Yah,” Seung Wan removes the hands of Soo Young.  “I praised you but you insulted my height!”

“Serves you right!” The red hair sticks out her tongue and slowly hug her sulking friend.

Park Soo Young cannot and will never resist the cuteness of her new found friend. Aside from the fact that she is S.S.W, her favorite author, she is also kind and gentle that you just want to keep inside your pocket. The chemistry between them is palpable. It feels like they know each other for ages but they just met four days ago.

“Let’s not talk about height.” Seung Wan whispers. Her face is buried in the red hair’s neck.  

“We won’t.” Soo Young caress her hair.

They stayed on that position for a couple of minutes until Seung Wan reminds her about her unending question which she gets another slap from the red hair.

“So, what is your question?”

“How did you start writing? Why did you start writing?”

“One question at a time, Kat.”

“Well, they are connected.” Soo Young cleverly replies.

That makes Seung Wan give up on thinking of some witty reply. Park Soo Young is like Joo Hyun but louder and brutal upfront. Speaking of Joo Hyun, she is the reason why Seung Wan starts to write.

“Because of Joo Hyun.”

“What about her?” Soo Young is becoming intrigued of Bae Joo Hyun. Based on the photos, she is pretty (but for Soo Young, she is prettier).

The question makes Seung Wan’s heart raise. She successfully escaped that topic in the Q&A night, but here she is answering the most dreading question. She sits properly and hold Soo Young’s left hand.

“Please, don’t hate me.” Seung Wan said. It is too soft that it is inaudible.

“What?” The red hair comes closer to the woman beside her.

“Kat, I will tell you. Promise me you won’t hate me.” The author faces the red hair. The latter feels the vulnerability of the former. 

“Why will I hate you?”

Because I’m in love with a girl. Seung Wan answers in her head. She is in love with Joo Hyun, a girl, her best friend.

“I will tell you a story.” The author releases a deep sigh and clears .

“There was a girl. She was fourteen years old when she arrived in Seoul from Toronto. Everything was new to her. New country, new house, and new school. Her Korean was not perfect, so it was one of her apprehensions. But…” Seung Wan halts from speaking. She holds Soo Young hand tighter. The latter lightly squeezes her hand. The small gesture makes the former smile. Thank you, Soo Young!

“But her greatest fear was her preference.” The author stops again from telling the story. Her eyes are becoming blurry and tears starts to escape. She suddenly feels a warm hand on her cheeks. Soo Young is looking at her with a sweet smile on her face.

“Go on, Kit. I’m all ears.” The red hair says as she wipes the tears. I should really keep her in my pocket and protect her from the world.  

“Thank you, Kat.”

“Whoever she is and whatever her preference, I know she is a great person.” Soo Young is looking straight in Seung Wan’s eyes as she utters these words. The latter feels warmth and confidence envelops her heart. This is the first time she feels proud of who she is. You really something Park Soo Young.

“Continue, Kit.” Seung Wan smiles and continue her story.

“It was first day of school. Everyone in that school knew each other. The girl with an English name of Wendy and Korean name of Seung Wan was nervous. Her nervousness could reach the peak of Mt. Everest.” Both of them giggle because of the last line.

“Suddenly, a young woman bumped her. In her fourteen year

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter