Chapter I

This is Our Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I

“I’ve read this book a month ago. Now, I have a chance to share it with you.” A young woman shows a small paperback pocketbook. The cover of the book doesn’t have any decorations. Only white background and word US written in blue bold capital letters adorned the book. It looks mundane, but it means everything for the young woman.

Since she finished reading the book, she wants to share it to the world. Unfortunately, she cannot find a way to share it to her friends or classmates, most especially not to her family. It is taboo—a topic that makes the society frown on you, worse, they will be disgusted on you.  

Lo and behold, an unexpected thing happened to her. The young woman’s favorite teacher tells them to bring their favorite novel and share it to the class. Here she is, sharing her beloved and favorite novel in front of everyone.

“This book is a bit bold,” The woman continues describing the book. “It is odd because it helps me to coupe up and helps me to embrace the real me.” She ends with a simple but meaningful smile.

“How did it help you?” A woman standing at the corner of the room asks her. Her long auburn hair, pointy nose, luscious lips, and perfectly portioned body makes her like she is a celebrity. Sometimes people mistake her as an idol or an actress but she is just a simple teacher.

Suddenly, she hears her students murmur asking the same question. What are you implying, Yerim-ah?

“Well, this book reminded me that I’m not alone in this battle. I’m not different from other normal people.” The young woman emphasized the word normal.

The murmur becomes louder. They are asking what that normal is and what the book is all about. Curiosity really kills the cat. They are dying to know what the novel is about.

“Can you define what normal is?”

“Normal is something that everyone believes to be moral and sticking to the status quo. If you are different, they will start calling you names and even treating you as if you are a criminal.” The young woman answered weakly. As if any moment she will breakdown. Thankfully the school bell rings.

“Okay. Thank you, Yerim-ah,” The teacher walks in front and taps the shoulder of Yerim. Indirectly comforting the young woman.

“That’s all for today class. The rest will share their favorite novel next meeting.” 

The students run outside the classroom except for Yerim. She is standing next to her teacher. A small cute smile is shown on her pretty face.

“Yes, Yerim-ah?” The teacher gently asks her.

“I want to give you this, Teacher Joo Hyun.” Yerim place the book on the table.

“Please take care of it.” The student taps the book and run outside the room.

“Bye, bye, Teacher Joo Hyun!” Yerim waves her hand and leave.

The teacher grabs the book and carefully examines it. She reads the book. Us written by S.S.W. She holds the book closer to her and place it against her chest. Different emotions are stirring in her.

“If you only know, Yerim-ah.” Joo Hyun utters. Memories of the past are slowly rewinding in her head.

 

 

 

 

“Yah, Son Seung Wan,” A loud voice catches the attention of people inside the café. “Why are you eating without me?!”

Next thing they witness is a woman head locking another female. The latter is trying her best to live and at the same time saving her toast. This is not the right time to die. I need to savor my favorite toast. She tries to squirm without letting go her toast.

“Joo Hyun-ah, can’t breathe.” After few more struggle, she is finally free and can eat her toast. I’m alive. Hallelujah! I love you my tasty toast.

“I already bought you hot cakes.” The woman named Seung Wan says while munching her food.

“Yah, manners!” Joo Hyun reprimands her. She is sitting in front of Seung Wan.

The two continue munching their food. Seung Wan is scribbling something on her notebook whi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter