Heavy Rains & Disaster

Fly Me to the Moon

The weather was a little bit gloomy but the group was still able to tour the Puerto Princesa City and they enjoyed buying gifts for their friends in Korea.

At noontime they were already boarding the plane to Manila, the flight became a little bit turbulent when the plane was approaching Manila. There was no storm but it was raining hard in Manila. Again their transfer from the airport was facilitated by the hotel, this time they were booked in Global City Hotel in Fort Bonifacio  Taguig City.

They were already at the hotel when most roads became impassable. Some flights had also been cancelled. Min Ho worried about Marianne, immediately called her to know her whereabouts, Marianne was still at the airport but she said that she was okay and their company was taking care of them. Before midnight the rain stops, roads became passable again. It seemed everything would be alright.

In the morning, Shin Hye and Hye Sun went to the South Korean embassy, they said they would just interview some officers for a related case they were handling and they did not allow any of the men to accompany them as it's just nearby but they hired the hotel service to shuttle them to and from the hotel. Everything went smoothly as they were back to the hotel after a little more than an hour. That evening they were on their way to Baguio, they hired the hotel shuttle to ferry them.

The weather was fine when they left Manila but rain started to pour. They were about half of their travel when roads became flooded again and there were news of land slides. Their  driver decided to reroute but their vehicle became more entrapped by flood and landslides. Luckily they were able to park in a gasoline station with a 24 hour convenience store, the driver told them they have to wait until the weather settles and listen for the news because it might be impossible for them to go up to Baguio City.

While they were having coffee they saw people running to a nearby school building, they learned from a service crew that the school is being set up as rehabilitation center for the victims of the current calamity. Then they saw a man running to the gasoline station, shouting for help. They need to bring a woman in labor to the nearest hospital, she would give birth anytime. The other drivers wouldn't risk to go and advised them not to do so because it's dangerous.

Hearing everything, Hyun Joong volunteered, I'm a doctor and an OB-Gyn, maybe I can do something.

The driver volunteered too to be their interpreter and runner. They bought every merchandise in the convenience that would help them in giving first aid to the laboring  woman and to some others that need first aid. The gasoline station loaned them a camping stove.

The others, Geun Suk, Jung Min, Min Ho and So Eun decided to help. Shin Hye and Hye Sun were instructed to stay in the vehicle and be ready for anything.

The center has no electricity, flash light and candle light helped them see what they were doing.

They set up one classroom as delivery room and later recovery room for the injured.

Oh my God... call her husband quick, I have to talk to him, Hyun Joong said. The baby's breeched.

Why do we have to encounter this problem in this kind of disaster, So Eun said.

Do you have prenatal check ups... do you know that your baby's breeched.

The woman just looked at him... didn't understand any of his english.

The husband's already here... Jung Min said.

Through the use of interpreter Hyun Joong learned from the husband that the woman has no pre-natal check up. However he had some problems the mother didn't want at first to cooperate, he would use a hands off breech delivery to avoid too much pain on the mother and baby. The mother has to lean forward on all fours to deliver the baby.

Hyun Joong was coaxing the mother while on childbirth, c'mon honey you can do it... baby's coming.

The delivery was successful, Jung Min took care of the baby, and Hyun Joong stitched the mother without anaesthesia.

It was good thing that all  of them brought their medical bags that helped them a lot in this emergency. They were sterilizing their medical supplies through the help of the camping stove and So Eun's very capable in taking care of them.

The four of them had already been working many hours, there's already a passable way going back to Manila but going up to Baguio's yet impossible. They prefer to return to Manila anyway. They couldn't leave yet because many people continously need attention but no government assistance's coming. It's almost dusk of the next day when an assistance from a tv network arrived. They distributed relief goods. They were very thankful for the tv network's anchor woman, she was a korean who grew up and studied in the Philippines. They were able to explain clearly everything,  how they were stranded in the place. The calamity victims on the other hand related their heroic deeds, especially that of Hyun Joong, and in minutes they were news on national television.

The tv network promised them that they would take care of the victims. They returned to Manila to rest.

***********************************

 

keep reading... and comment please.