Step It Up (Kwonchaeng)

Onion's IZ*ONE One Shots Compilation
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"All right! That's all for today. Good job, everyone!" The choreographer announced and clapped her hands. Everyone else in the room followed along with their own applause and cheers before bidding her goodbye.

 

Once all of her students have left, Chaeyeon went over to the stereo and set the song to play again. While waiting for the cue, she did some body stretches and flexed her neck.

 

It had been a long day for her, teaching her advanced class the steps of her new choreography of Ariana Grande's 7 Rings, but that won't stop her from doing extra practice. As a perfectionist, she strives to keep her moves polished no matter how exhausting it may be for her at the end of the day.

 

She was already counting in her head on par with the song's beat, waiting for the right moment, when the door opened and she saw her friend's reflection in the mirror. Hyewon did not look apologetic about storming into her best friend's studio and only smirked at her. 

 

Chaeyeon groaned in annoyance as she walked up to the stereo and turned off the music. She grabbed her water bottle on the floor and drank from it, not bothering to greet the older. By just her entrance alone, Chaeyeon could already tell that Hyewon was there to pester her with favors she doesn't want to do. Most of it is asking her to cook food that the latter would hog all for herself.

 

 

If she came in politely then maybe she would've treated her better.

 

 

"Ohoh~ You're not going to greet your best friend hello or how are you?" 

 

Chaeyeon took out her towel and began wiping her sweat. "What do you want, Kwangbae?"

 

Running steps were heard and a second later, Hyewon was already beside her. 

 

"Chaeng, I have a favor—"

 

"I'm not cooking for you." She cut her off.

 

The cat-looking-hamster pouted. "I already know that, but this time, it's not for me okay?"

 

"Whatever. Still not doing it."

 

 

Chaeyeon stuffed her stuff back insider her duffel bag and unplugged her phone from the stereo. She had just placed the strap over her shoulder when Hyewon pulled it off of her. 

 

 

"What the hell—"

 

"Listen to me. It's for an idol and she's looking for a choreographer."

 

 

Her ears rang when she heard the word. That alone already caught her interest.

 

But there's no way she's gonna let the older girl have the benefit.

 

 

"No." She deadpanned before pulling her strap back on her shoulder and walked away.

 

 

 

"It's for Kwon Eunbi!" 

 

 

 

Chaeyeon almost snapped her own neck with how fast she turned back to Hyewon, the latter had a sinister smile on her face, knowing that she caught the choreographer in a trap. There was just no way Lee Chaeyeon would say no to choreographing for Kwon Eunbi AKA the top and hottest idol in the industry right now.

 

Any choreographer would die for the opportunity of making Eunbi showcase their masterpiece on stage, especially with how she hand-picks the choreographers who'll do the job considering how she funds her own company.

 

"You're kidding, right?"

 

She dropped the question but in her head she was also hoping that Hyewon was not just tripping on her.

 

"I wouldn't be ditching the free treat Yena was offering me if I was."

 

"B-But how?"

 

Hyewon rolled her eyes before stomping her feet towards her dumbfounded friend. "Ugh. I'll explain it later. Right now you have to freshen up. They'll be here soon."

 

Before Chaeyeon could protest at the sudden meeting, she was already getting pushed towards the changing room and Hyewon locked her in.

 

It took a while for Chaeyeon to process everything before she ended up slapping her own palm on her forehead and cursed.

 

 

". My dream's coming true."

 

 

 

"WAIT– Let me get this straight." She raised her palm right in front of Hyewon's face, stopping her from explaining more. "You were in the streets and suddenly you bumped into this girl saying they're looking for someone to choreograph for Eunbi's new song hoping that you have the slightest clue about it of all people in that area. Then you told them you know Chaeryeong's sister and now they're coming here just to verify that you're not lying?"

 

"Yeah. That's basically it." Hyewon munched on her chips. "Who knew your sister endorsed you that well." 

 

"She didn't. She just blabbers about me a lot." Chaeyeon scrunched her nose, remembering all the times her sister would brag about her on TV show appearances and radio guestings. Her fame eventually grew as fast as her sister's rookie status did.

 

"That's exactly what you're saying, you know?"

 

 

A knock on the door caught both of their attention. Chaeyeon froze in her spot while Hyewon got up to greet the people at the door. 

 

 

Right in front of her stood the idol that she had been crushing on since she debuted just a year ago. Kwon Eunbi stood beside her manager in her black cropped top and jogger pants, a mask covered half of her face, only showing her eyes that cautiously roamed around the room's interior. 

 

 

Oh, how proud Chaeyeon was that she had her studio renovated a couple of months ago.

 

 

It was a surreal moment for the choreographer, she couldn't even believe what she was seeing if it weren't for Hyewon giving her the stink eye glare for not being polite enough to greet them.

 

She immediately hopped on her feet and walked up to the visitors as confidently as she can. The manager looked at her from head to toe before holding out her hand.

 

 

"Hi, I'm Miyawaki Sakura, Kwon Eunbi's manager. You must be Lee Chaeyeon-ssi?" Her accent was all over the place but Chaeyeon understood it nonetheless and decided to introduce herself in a more casual and friendly manner.

 

"Hai. You got that right, Miyawaki-san." Chaeyeon accepted the handshake as she flaunted her fluent Japanese, she could already see Hyewon rolling her eyes even without looking at her. 

 

 

The manager looked impressed, evident in her comforting smile. 

 

 

But it seemed to have surprised Eunbi a lot. Even with her mask on, Chaeyeon could picture out how she looked with hanging open in amazement.

 

 

"Interesting..." 

 

"Pardon?" Chaeyeon whipped back to the manager. 

 

"Nothing." Sakura smiled. "Anyways, I'm pretty sure you already know why we're here."

 

 

The choreographer almost got distracted when Eunbi removed her face mask, but she kept her professionalism in check and focused on the topic instead.

 

 

"Yes. I have been told that you are looking for a choreographer for Eunbi-ssi's new song."

 

"Oh. You are partially correct about that."

 

Chaeyeon raised her brows. She turned to her friend and the latter just shrugged.

 

"We are not just looking for a choreographer."

 

She paused, as if trying to build up an unneeded suspense. But Chaeyeon anticipated it nonetheless.

 


"We are also looking for someone who can keep up with her on stage. A partner, basically."

 

 

Chaeyeon blinked. To have the idol and her manager personally come over to her expertise was overwhelming for her and then she hears she'll most probably be performing on stage with her? 

 

 

Chaeyeon has never been so thankful for Hyewon's existence at that moment.

 

 

The manager leaned in and whispered, "She's very picky with dancers she'll share the stage with so I hope you accept."

 

 

"Yah! Saku-chan! I'm not picky!" 

 

 

Eunbi's sudden outburst startled everyone but the manager. Chaeyeon and Hyewon looked at each other and mirrored expressions with one another, not expecting how loud and chaotic the said

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter