Well-nigh (Annyeongz)

Onion's IZ*ONE One Shots Compilation
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A BREAK. That is all Ahn Yujin wishes to have on that certain Friday evening in her clumped up apartment. A break from paper works and projects. Her professors thought it would be fun to make her life a living hell and now she's stuck with all the load she has even if it has only been a month since the new semester of her 2nd year started.

 

The dog sprawled lazily on her bed, not minding the papers and books she was rolling over. She stared into the ceiling as she silently prayed for the heavens to send her an angel that will save her from her misery.

 

A few moments after she muttered a half-hearted 'Amen', a familiar ting resonated in her small room. With it being muffled under her pile of papers and pillows, she shoved everything on the floor and dug up her phone that was underneath the mess.

 

 

She fumbled with the gadget in excitement as she opened the message. Surprisingly for a sinful dog, her prayers actually got answered.

 

However, there was a catch.

 

Instead of sending an angel, she was fetched by a demon instead. But she doesn't have time to complain about it. She was getting her well-deserved break. And that is all that matters to her.

Choi Yena
07:57 PM

Hey, Ddaengddaeng! Meet you at the pub in 20. 
We miss your dumb ! <3

Ducky, please. 
I'll be there in 10!

 

Yujin has always been the type to be running late in class. Like in one whole semester, the times she's sat in the classroom minutes ahead of her professor are only three. And two of those, she was tasked to carry her professor's stuff to the room ahead of class.

 

So being an early bird for a hangout with her friends is totally not surprising of her.

 

Wearing her favorite gray pullover and ripped jeans, Yujin leaned on her bike that she parked right across the pub they'll be heading into. A couple of acquaintances have seen her and invited her to go in with them but she politely refused and said she'll wait for friends instead. She jammed to the muffled beats from a neighboring establishment while waiting for time to pass.

 

About five minutes later, a familiar SUV rolled in to park a couple of meters from her and her friend's infamous laugh echoed through the night as they got off the vehicle.

 

Yujin stood up and hollered. "Ya, Lee Chaeyeon! You're going crazy again!"

 

Three pairs of eyes turned to her direction and not more than three seconds later, Yujin was already squeezed into a tight hug by two of her previous college friends who are fairly shorter than her.

 

"Yujinnieeeee! We missed you so much!" Yena screamed into her ear.

 

"Ack! Ah! Okay, okay! I missed you guys too! But I c-can't breathe!"

 

After another tight squeeze, her friends finally let her go. Yena and Chaeyeon ruffled her hair like they always did before. It was heartwarming for her to see them again after months of getting held up in classes.

 

"So, how's the new school?"

 

Yujin shrugged. "It's cool. Still got to be the most tardy student there is."

 

Sakura chuckled. "As expected of you, Yujin-ah."

 

"Hey, Yuri said they're about to start. Should we go in?" Yena was waving her phone at them and they all agreed before crossing the street together.

 

The moment they stepped inside the pub, the smell of alcohol quickly filled her senses. One of the waitresses who recognized them led them to their reserved seats.

 

It wasn't a fancy looking pub or a shabby one at that, but it had always been their favorite hangout place since they all got into the legal age of drinking alcoholic beverages. The homey ambiance was what made them eager to return the first time, but it was the live band that made them stay longer.

 

"Really? The balcony? Again?" Yena whined. The waitress smiled and left them on their own.

 

Yujin could only chuckle at her unnie. "Yuri unnie is very considerate of your loud voice."

 

The duck shot her a glare. "Shut up."

 

Shrugging her shoulders, Yujin took her seat in the middle where she can see the stage clearly. They all settled down just in time for the live band on stage to start.

 

Cheers from the regulars errupted when a petite, hamster-looking girl walked up on stage and sat on one of the stools in the middle. But the loudest cheer came from their table, care of her duck-looking unnie.

 

"WHOOO! THAT'S MY GIRLFRIEND! I LOVE YOU, YURIIII!"

 

Yena caught everyone else's attention and Yujin and the others just couldn't help but feel embarrassed. It was a good thing that Yuri knew them and how they would feel that she cued to begin singing immediately.

 

 

For the next hour, the pub was filled with the girl's husky voice and the band's skillful playing of their instruments. They sang a medley and covered upbeat and mellow songs that everyone enjoyed.

 

But no matter what genre it was, Yujin found it relaxing. Like she always did every time they spend the night in that same pub. She was able to loosen up and not worry about her unfinished essays.

 

She felt free.

 

 

The band have just finished performing a crowd favorite when an unfamiliar figure went up the stage and Yuri greeted her. Her height, towering over the little hamster, made the entire room buzz with 'oohs'...

 

 

But it was her beauty that made the bomb of silence explode.

 

 

She looked unreal under the stage lights and with her faded green-dyed hair and off-shoulder top. There was an air of sophistication around the new girl that simply captivated everyone in the room.

 

As she sat on another stool on stage, Yujin anticipated the introduction that Yuri will do---only for her concentration to be interrupted by Yena who blocked her view.

 

 

"Smoke break." The older girl tilted her head towards the railings behind her.

 

 

Before she could answer, Yena had already went ahead. Yujin muttered a curse under her breath when she realized that she missed what Yuri had said about the girl.

 

 

She followed the duck to her spot, her eyes not straying from the newly found angle she has on the stage and on the girl while taking the a piece Yena offered her. A series of claps were heard as she lit her own stick.

 

 

The smoke from the lit tip rose before her, giving that thin foggy effect in her vision. While she inhaled the content in her system, the band started to play again, with Yuri starting off the song. But as she was about to release it, a thin yet soothing voice unexpectedly filled her ears, causing her to choke and spit out her cigarette.

 

There was a loud laugh coming from the duck but it wasn't able to overwhelm the sweet voice coming from the unknown girl on stage.

 

"Has it been that long since you last smoked?" Yena teased, knowing she had attempted to stop smoking a few months ago.

 

Yujin recovered from embarrassment, caughing a bit more before glaring at her friend. "Shut it. It's been a while, okay?"

 

Yena puffed a ring of smoke in the air and patted Yujin's back. Hard. "That's alright, pal. You'll get used to it again soon."

 

The younger slapped the duck's hand away from her before flipping her off with a finger. Yena only let out another hearty laugh and tilted her pack towards her.

 

Yujin ignored it and focused on the girl singing on stage. She was now alone, the rest of the band leaving the guitarist behind to accompany her singing.

 

"Oooh, someone's whipped." Yena teased again but she was too busy admiring the singer to even care about it.

 

Even when Yuri arrived and scolded Yena for smoking until they were back in their seats, Yujin still hasn't looked away from the stage.

 

 

"Hey, Yuri unnie, what's her name?" Yujin asked before sipping on her glass of beer. The girl was already about to finish her acoustic cover of Wings.

 

 

The hamster who was then sitting on Yena's lap looked around the pub before turning back to the youngest in the group. "Who?"

 

The pub errupted with applause as the girl did her bow and slowly went down on stage. Yuri then figured who Yujin was referring to, forming an 'O'.

 

"She's Jang Wonyoung. A very popular freshman at the university."

 

"Freshman??"

 

"Don't you dare act surprised now. You're exactly like her 2 years ago."

 

"No, I'm not. I wasn't popular."

 

A snort made their heads turn to Sakura. "Yeah, right."

 

"Well anyways, what's with the sudden interest on my roommate?"

 

 

Hearing the word 'roommate' made Yujin grin. She leaned forward and rested her chin on her palm.

 

 

"I suppose it won't be that difficult for you to introduce me to her."

 

 

Another pang of realization hit Yuri and her face shifted into disapproval.

 

 

"Yujin, she's not--"

 

 

A pinch on her thigh by Yena and a signal from Chaeyeon made Yuri stop from finishing what she was about to say. All eyes were now on the person gracing them with her beauty.

 

 

Jang Wonyoung has walked up to their table.

 

 

And Yujin... Well, she was definitely blown away.

 

Must be the alcohol in her senses that made her lean back on her seat and somehow felt like melting at the presence of the latter.

 

 

Yujin was lost in a trance and she couldn't follow along with what the people around her were talking about until Yena had to practically slap her face hard to bring her back to her senses.

 

 

"Now be a good dog and introduce yourself properly." The duck whispered. Yujin would've have smacked Yena in the face if only her crush wasn't in front of them.

 

 

Instead, she settled on a subtle pinch on Yena's skin before confidently lifting her hand and smiled at Wonyoung. She swore she saw her friends rolling their eyes but she didn't care.

 

 

"Hi! I'm Ahn Yujin."

 

 

The doll-looking girl smiled back and held her hand.

 

 

It's so smooth,Yujin thought and mentally scolded herself for having thoughts of trying to carress it further than what was intended.

 

 

"Nice to meet you. I'm Jang Wonyoung."

 

 

Needless to say, Yujin's bold confidence

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter