016 - grant me three wishes

Compelling Affection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

"I got myself an antifans club with two hundred thousand members in eight hours it was made, how cool is that?" 

It was the first thing that Jisoo said to Yixing when he visited her room this morning, and his first reaction was, he broke into a guffaw.

"Yixing! That's not even funny, you know. These people are nasty, you should've read those things they wrote, they're so awful." she showed him her phone, "They said stupid things like, I fake my beauty, my Mandarin sounds weird, I only said cool things to look intelligent. They even said my nose and eyes are fake! For God's sake, who do they think they are to judge me like that? They don't even know me! Ugh!" she exploded in exasperation.

Jisoo scrolled down the malicious comments that people wrote about her. Her brow furrowed, heart beat fast, head was spinning around, all of them because she failed to comprehend how people could be so easy to badmouth someone they don't know. For God's sake, she had never even met them, so on what basis could they call her a '' and any other profanities just because she was simply acting like herself.

She had just her cellphone for the first time since they landed in Beijing. Yixing taught her how to use VPN so she could check messages from the unaccessible chat applications. And her cellphone was on frozen mode immediately when it was connected to the internet for at least half an hour while loading messages. And she got, literally, five thousand unread messages, which 90% of  them came in the past eight hours.

Most of them sent her messages commenting on the news that was simultaneously published by the media crew at past-midnight, in accordance with the agreement. Especially her friends and acquaintances who were in China, most were surprised because this news was truly unexpected. Her friends in Korea also sent her a similar message, because it turned out it became quite viral in online news portal and social media.

She actually had no idea about this club, but several some people sent her the link, and Jisoo didn't think long when she opened it because she just saw her name on it. And she immediately regretted it. This was really unfair, she hadn't done anything wrong, and even though Sehun had warned her about this, it still hurt.

And Jisoo kept grumbling about what the comments she read, venting her anger at Yixing. A part of her blamed him for this, she just followed what he said, she didn't have the slightest idea that Yixing's influence would be this huge on many people, and of all the bad things that came to her mind, seeing a club of antis with her name as a subject was not one of them. 

She wanted to say that it was his fault, but it wasn't right. It's not like Yixing made the club. And she actually had no idea why this was bothering her so much, she had never got such a mass blasphemy. And she was shocked. And she wanted to blame someone, but blaming the only person related to her with this sounded very wrong.

"Don't mind them, Beibei. You're not US dollars, you can't make everyone like you." Yixing finally said as soon as he climbed to her bed and seated himself beside her, he took the cellphone from her hand and put it on the nightstand.

"I'm totally aware of that. But these people, they're just..." Jisoo threw her hands to the air and sighed in annoyance as she slumped herself to the bed and burried her face under the pillow.

"At certain point you should be able to really ignore them, because the more you think about it, the more this will hurt you. You know how many people declared themselves to be my antis on the first ten hours of its launch? One million! You try imagine that, a hundred thousand people signed up every hour. It was fifteen years ago and the numbers are still growing." He took a pillow that covered Jisoo's face to listen to him. "They're just a bunch of ethically uneducated people who have too much free time on their hands. They grow with jealousy and they live by spreading hatred, and believe me, they live an unhappy life. Don't make their unhappiness get through you, Beibei."  

Jisoo looked at him for a moment, then she leaned forward to hold him and rested her head on his chest. Compared to her, Yixing's case was clearly more severe. For God's sake, fifteen years ago, why would those people attack a fifteen-year-old teenager? They really had no heart, she thought. When on one hand she thought how lucky Yixing was born to a high-ranking, rich and powerful family, on the other hand she felt bad toward him. Poor Yixing, how did he survive those hate speech for years?

Yixing scooted aside to lean on the headboard, he wrapped his arms around her body and held her tight. "These haters, they're just people who just secretly and desperately wished to be you. And no matter how hard you try to be a good person, they still do everything to pick up your flaws, that's just the way they live their lives." Yixing said again, he rested his cheek on top of her head and sighed.

Jisoo still said nothing. She suddenly remembered Yixing's words on their first date when they talked about how they behaved to people's expectations.

... It's burdensome because in the end it makes you feel the needs to satisfy them, but no matter how hard you try and you've done this, you still feel it's not enough... 

She still remembered clearly what he said, and this made her think that Yixing grew up not only with the difficulties experienced by his family, the efforts to prove himself amidst the values of success and perfection that people instilled in him, and also the struggle not to make people's condemnation taking a toll on him at the same time. Her heart broke for him, how heavy it was the burden that he carried.

She turned her face to rest agaisnt his white t-shirt, and the smell of him calmed her. She leaned there for a few moments and Yixing let the silence over them while he her back gently.

"Do you feel better now?" he asked after it seemed like forever.

"I don't know, maybe."

"It's kind of surprising though. I didn't think that you're going to react like this." he said again.

She looked up to meet his gaze with her confused look, "What do you mean by react like this?" she asked.

"Well, you know. You usually don't really care about these kinds of things. I'm always impressed by how nonchalant you are facing unexpected situations, especially when you're under pressure. You're calm and collected, and you handle the hard time really well. But today they seem to get on your nerve pretty badly." 

Jisoo sighed, "I don't know. If I think about it again, I've been spoiled by my title. Since I graduated my master and went back to Korea, it didn't take long until I worked in the university. I got used to people respect me and say nice things about me. I don't have many people dissing me, and if there were, it's always on formal occasion where we used our logic to counter arguments. It's never physical. And today, people were like," Jisoo shook her head, "It's just not fair. They don't know who I am, but they speak like they're God or something to critize everthing I did. If they do it nicely, it's fine, I'll can take critics if it's good for me, but the language, God, they're so rude."

Yixing didn't say anything, and there was silence again. "Do you want me to sue them? Or block their sites?" he asked few moments later.

"Nah, just let them be. One site down and there will be hundred more of them. You're right, I'm not going to make them happy by acknowledging their presence. They're just the dirt on my shoes."

"Now that's my girl. You know, this is what I like about you. Your tolerance and immunity to certain things is elevated, it makes everything easier to get through. You're jjang!" Yixing leaned in to give her a kiss on her cheek, which Jisoo laughed on his last remark. "If you feel better then go get ready, I'm going to take you for a ride. Do you want to have breakfast downstairs or room service?"

"Room service." She pulled away from Yixing's arms and slid off from the bed to start her day. 

 

 

Jisoo took her time to do her morning routine. She took a warm bath for twenty minutes while putting on a face mask, then she showered, did her skincare, and only came out of the bathroom as Yixing knocked on the door, telling her that breakfast was ready. They had breakfast together in Yixing's room while watching the morning news. Minseok called her at the time, and because her brother wasn't really about to call it a day yet, so they made a video call and invited Sehun at once to talk about the press-conference they had the day before.

After breakfast they got ready to leave. Yixing told her to bring her gloves, in case the air got very cold. He didn't want to tell her where they were going, saying that this would be a surprise tour for her. That's why she felt a bit strange when they called the elevator, instead of pressing the down button, he instead pressed the up button. And when Yixing said that he was going to take her for a ride, she didn't expect that they would take a helicopter, with Yixing as the pilot.

"I'm not riding that." Jisoo said.

"I have over a hundred flight hours experience with this, Baobei." he said as she froze on the helipad, laughing. "I have my license too. Not a professional pilot, but I know what I'm doing. Come on, you'll be safe with me, I promise."

It's not that Jisoo didn't believe in Yixing's ability, so far she could have survived other flights because they were on large helicopter or planes, where she didn't need to sit in the cockpit and literaly saw their own flight process. She had a phobia with accidents (this was the result if you watch too many Final Destination movies), so she felt unconfident be there. It took a couple more moments for Yixing to convince her that this flight was safe for them. Even with fear, Jisoo finally agreed to get in. Yixing helped her to climb the footing step and sat on the co-pilot seat, while he turned around and took his seat to her left.

An officer helped Jisoo to put on her seat belt and headset, while Yixing was busy making preparations for take off assisted by the other officer. The helicopter's engine made a very loud buzzing sound when it was , and Jisoo automatically gripped her seat belt when the blades started to spin.

Yixing glanced sideways and chuckled as he saw her looking nervous. He took her hand on his to calm her down. While he exchanged some words with ATC for weather information and requested for departure, then Yixing rolled his finger making a tornado movement to tell the officers that they were ready to take off.

"Oh, my god!" Jisoo squealed as the helicopter began to move up, her head bowed deeply, and she didn't dare open her eyes.

"Baobei, look. It's really beautiful." he said after a while. "Hey, open your eyes, you're going to regret this if you don't."

"I'm scared, Yixing!" she half yelled.

"It's fine. I'm here, I'm not going to let us fall, okay? Trust me. Open your eyes." Yixing took her hand again, which Jisoo clutched it with both hands. Then slowly she looked up and peeked with her one eye. She dared herself to look outside the front window, took her time there before finally opening her two eyes. Timidly she started to look around. Yixing's hand took turns holding hers and to the hand control or adjusting the buttons on the panel board, and while he's doing that Jisoo held on his thigh. But when Yixing's hand was idle, he would put it on hers to hold.

This was Jisoo's first time sitting in the helicopter's cockpit, and her feelings were mixed. It was full of thrill, but at the same time it made her willingly try to fight her fear, because the view below was breathtaking. And after about fifteen minutes in the air, she started to relax and released Yixing's hand to hold the seatbelt. Her heart was no longer beating as fast as before, and even though she didn't dare to move, she could follow where Yixing's hand was going when he pointed out the interesting places below them.

They came out of the dense of city huildings, and headed southeast. Yixing told her what they had passed, until about forty-five then she could see the sea in front of them.

"And this is one of Zhang Dong's empires." Yixing told her as they flew along the offshore oil field where large pipes stretched and connected. Blasts of fire soared in several places, with rounded buildings lined the seashore. He pointed to several huge rigs in the middle of the sea telling her that there was where their natural gas was dug and processed. While circling aound, Jisoo realized how big the oil field was. She couldn't even see the end of the offshore field from where she was sitting now.

"All these belong to you?" Jisoo asked a moment later.

"It belongs to many people. Those who work hard to keep our company running. I'm just the protector, who makes sure that they won't lose the job." Yixing glanced to her, and she smiled at his typical diplomatic reply.

Upon returning to Beijing, Yixing landed on the roof of China World Tower. He made a call to get his people to prepare a car, which was ready to wait once they reached the lobby. And now it's time for the real ride, along with his two bodyguards, Yixing took her around Beijing. They stopped at Panjiayuan, one of the biggest and best-known art-crafts and antiques markets to have some shops. This wasn't Jisoo's her first time going there, but she liked the place because of the large selection of souvenirs she could buy for gifts to her people back home.

She bought a silk scarf for her mother and grandmothers, then a set of antique tea bowls for his dean on campus, then a marble plate for his grandfather's collection. Since they had limited time today, they set only one hour to be there before leaving again. Yixing took her to have xiaolongbao for lunch. It wasn't a big place, it was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter