012 - touchdown Beijing

Compelling Affection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

"He designed it himself, he said?" 

Jisoo nodded and took her hand back. She looked at her hand for a second and started eating again. 

Sehun made a visit to the university today to see her. They hadn't been seeing each other for almost two months and he just barked into her office, because if he didn't do so, they would never make the time for each other because of their work, especially when Jisoo wouldn't be at their grandparents' house on the lunar new year. Jisoo was glad that Sehun came to see her despite his busy schedule, they didn't get to talk that much over the phone because it's either always reaching midnight when he made the call or Yixing was in the apartment when he called. And she had been missing her only cousin who was also her best friend, so here they were, sitting in the corner of the campus cafeteria whose food he claimed was the best in Seoul.

"I designed him a custom pen for his birthday and he designed me a diamond ring instead. What a catch," she commented, which Sehun chuckled on it.

"He's a keeper, Jees." Jisoo nodded again, she couldn't agree more to that. With everything that Yixing had done and given her, she couldn't help thinking how lucky she was to be part of his life. "I'm happy for you both," he said.

"I'm happy for me too." she giggled and dropped her head on the table when Sehun started to how she looked like a girl in love. But she didn't deny him this time, because she just knew that she couldn't hide it. She was indeed in love with him, and it's something that she didn't plan or something that she could avoid. She was falling for him, so hard that she couldn't think straight everytime he was on her mind now.

"Hey, look. I don't want to scare you or anything," Sehun cleared his throat as he had her full attention with the mention of 'scare you', "I'm telling you this because, you know, you seem like taking this relationship pretty seriously now, and I don't want you to blame me with the 'you're supposed to warn me' speech in the end if something goes wrong..."

"Just tell me, Sehun, what is it?" she cut him impatiently with the click of her tongue.

"Well, I have this Chinese friend who's seeing this girl for almost three years. They're preparing their wedding, and it's supposed to be on last October but they suddenly called it off, like, completely, because these guys' parents are a so-called renowned tycoon in Shanghai. His family refused the marriage and his parents threatened to disown him from the family, and erased his name from the beneficiaries list if he insisted on marrying his fiancée. And all this just because the girl is American, neglecting the fact that she actually was born Chinese."

Sehun paused for some moments to let Jisoo swallow the information that he was trying to tell her, but when she didn't say anything, he continued. "And it reminds me that from what I've heard, Yixing's Zhang family is one of those old rich clans in mainland China and they usually tend to, you know, prefer to keep their pure bloodlines along the way. I have fifty percent chances that I might be right about this since one of Soojung's friends in Beijing told me that the Zhang has been keeping their family line pure for almost ten generations, and Yixing is actually the first one who tries to rule himself out of the tradition. And the Chinese media has been keeping a tab for him for years to see what kind of woman he will court to secure the bloodline, and I wish I'm just being overreacting, but let's say that we're expecting this if something went a bit overboard. Especially with the media, because, you know, people can be so evil with what they type online and I don't want you to get hurt."

Jisoo frowned. The thing that Sehun told her just now was a little too much to take, but from all the things he said, there was one thing that caught her attention, "Why would the media be so interested in his personal life? I mean, it's not like he's a celebrity or something."

"Oh, believe me, Sis. Chinese media is interested in everything. And Yixing is basically one of the most wanted bachelors in the country now. Not to mention that he is, Soojung's friend told me, quite mysterious by always keeping his personal life to himself. And now that he lives away from the country, he's technically out of the media's reach. But once they find out about you, I'm one hundred percent that they've been expecting a festive field day digging around your life, your past life."

Jisoo was still silent while trying to digest this topic, she massaged his chin when two certain names from her past suddenly appeared, and frankly, there was fear in her if their names would stick out to the public when the media managed to dig out her secrets. She had never thought about this before, but with Sehun mentioned it now, Jisoo began to think whether her relationship with either Baekhyun or Chanyeol was as discreet as they wanted. Maybe it would be nothing with Chanyeol, people would think that they really were in a relationship, but with Baekhyun, it would be scandalous if people knew they were dating when he was a student.

"But again, Jees, I still have another fifty percent chances that I might be wrong. Maybe his family is really fine with you being Korean, and maybe the media would just let you go by seeing your title. Sometimes what people are concerned about is where you come from, who your family is, how your education is, what your job is, and I think you've secured all that. I believe Yixing will never let anyone hurt you by letting all this go out of his bounds. He promises me to protect you."

"Okay, let's just hope you're wrong about this. I'm not sure if I can take any more drama out of this life, I just want to settle down and live happily with the man of my dreams." Jisoo wiped her face tiredly and tried to let out a simple smile. She just hoped that everything would go well with her trip to Beijing, but she made a mental note to have this talk with Yixing once she saw something was not in place. 

"Anyway," Sehun sipped on his Americano, "Chanyeol told me that Baekhyun is getting a divorce."

"Uh-huh. Well, I don't know how it goes now, he told me that four months ago," she said. "I'm still hoping that he withdraws his petition. He said he's doing it for me, he's going to really regret it when it's finalized."

"Seriously? After what he's done to you and you still think what's best for him? He deserves that, Jees. Let him suffer for God's sake."

"I kind of pitying him, Sehun. He might look like the happiest person in the world, but he actually has a problem with confidence. When I think about it lately, I think I'm starting to understand why he did all this. He said that this situation awakened the insecurity in him, me being academically successful than him. He once told me the first time I got my doctoral grant, that it hurt his pride to see me ten steps ahead than him."

Sehun scoffed, "I can't believe it. Then he needs to learn from Yixing for not letting something like that get in the way of your relationship." he remarked.

"Yixing doesn't need to worry about it because he's the chief executive of a big oil company. Socially speaking he's a hundred steps ahead of me."

"What?" Sehun widened his eyes, refusing to believe what he just heard from now. "Was that it? All these problems are just because that couldn't take the fact that he's beyond your social rank? It's ridiculous."

"Wouldn't you do the same if you were him?" she asked.

"Of course not! I'm a man who would do anything to make my relationship work. I don't give up that easily just because my girlfriend is loaded. I'll level up my way to where you are, or at the very least, I won't sulk and complain about it to your face." he scowled, "And speaking of the devil..."

Jisoo saw Sehun set his eyes on something over her shoulder, and when Jisoo thought about turning around, Sehun forbade her to move. But after all she could guess why Sehun was acting like that, because a few moments later Baekhyun stood next to their table.

"Hey, Baekhyun." Jisoo greeted him first only to be polite, even though they hadn't talked to each other for several months.

"I thought you won't be in the office today, everything seems dead here," Baekhyun said with a smile on his face.

"I'm the head deputy of the international relations office, of course, I would be in my office despite the vacation," she replied calmly. Sehun scoffed to laugh on it, seeing how Jisoo enjoyed her time to rub it on Baekhyun's face.

"Right, I wonder how I forget that." Then Baekhyun turned to Sehun, who had been silent all the time. He reached out his arm to greet him, but Sehun crossed his arms instead to his chest ignoring him while his unfriendly eyes were glaring at him sharply. Jisoo could feel the clear tension between the two men, and she was ready to get in their way to block any unnecessary physical contacts. Looking at Sehun's hawk eyes, she just knew that he was up to it, but she couldn't let him do that. Baekhyun really didn't worth his energy.

But Baekhyun only scoffed to Sehun's rude manner, and back to her as if the intended greeting never happened. 

"Check your mail, I've sent you the files for the new curriculum," he said coldly, which Jisoo replied with a nod. And Baekhyun was about to walk away when it seemed like he caught something by his eyes because his eyes widened suddenly and he grabbed her right hand to see the ring on her finger. He hissed when she yelped.

"Baekhyun, what the hell?" She tried to yank her hand back but he held it harder. And he looked like he wanted to say something about it, but Sehun jerked his body upright and cut him.

"Back off, Man. Get your filthy hand off of her, or I'll break your arm now," he warned.

And Baekhyun let her hand go, he gritted his teeth before he walked away furiously. Jisoo massaged her wrist as soon as Baekhyun left, while Sehun sat back into his chair. He asked if she was alright, which Jisoo just waved her hand to ignore it.

"Ugh, I really want to punch him," he said while holding back his anger.

"Don't mind him, Sehun, he doesn't worth it. Come on, take me home. Yixing will pick me up at four this afternoon. I have to pack."

They simultaneously moved from their seats and stepped out of the cafeteria. Jisoo looked around to see if someone else was there, but fortunately, now it was on vacation. There were not many students on campus, and it was a coincidence that the cafeteria was also empty. This would be a stirring rumor if only a student had seen them at their wit's end.

 

 

As planned, Yixing picked her up on time. But not as usual, unlike the last time she saw him when going to Shanghai, Yixing looked more formal today. Maybe because he was going home, Jisoo thought he would like to look more presentable to his mother. He wore black pants and a turtle neck shirt with dark gray coat, and, this was what made Jisoo failed to stop smiling foolishly because at the same time she realized that her outfit was no different from him. Even they wore the turtle neck shirt of the same color as if it was made for a couple. The only difference was the color of their coat, Jisoos was beige and she wore the cashmere scarf that her grandmother gave her as Christmas gift, while he had the snapback to cover his head and his wayfarer shades for the eyes.

"First class for a two-hour flight? Isn't that excessive?" Jisoo commented, a little surprised as Yixing handed her her passport and boarding pass as soon as he finished checking them in.

Yixing just smiled to reply, "My lady's comfort is my priority." he put his hand to the small of her back, then to her arm just to pull her closer to him.

And Jisoo s her arm to his waist as they passed through the immigration and walked to their gate. They didn't get to wait that long since the boarding call was heard at the same time they reached there, and Jisoo couldn't help but notice the smile on Yixing's face that had remained dazed on his face since they left her apartment until they were above the clouds.

"Somebody is excited," she teased, "He's going to see his mama." she sang a song. And Yixing laughed on it. 

"I'm taking

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter