026 - the bitter taste of the truth

Compelling Affection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Jisoo glanced at the wall clock and saw that it was about the time that the program she had been waiting for to start. She changed the channel and adjusted her seat on the couch. What she was going to watch was a special program that covered the latest finding and update on Baekhyun's case. It was still like a vivid scene in her mind even though it was yesterday evening when Yixing literally barked into the bathroom when she was having a bubble bath—he had no idea how shocked she was to see him suddenly sprinted in from the doorless closet room that she almost submerged under the foam. But once he crouched beside the tub with his phone on speaker, Jisoo was on alert hearing Chanyeol's voice.

"Daebak! It's a big finding, we got a lot! like, A LOT." 

They looked at each other listening to Chanyeol's excited exclaim. 

"Tell us what they found, Chanyeol, you're on speaker," Yixing ordered him.

Jisoo was literally shivering to listen to Chanyeol's report on the police findings after doing a search on Baekhyun's old apartment. They even called it a treasure vault for so many discoveries that they got there. She was disgusted when he mentioned that she was not the only hidden camera victim that Baekhyun had in his room, he apparently also had installed some cameras in women's toilets and showers on campus and uploaded their photos and videos in several private communities for money. And there were almost a thousand of them stored in his computer disk.

Jisoo recalled hearing rumors that some students' parents came to the faculty to report the circulating videos on the internet recording their daughters' activities in the restroom. But since the faculty didn't find the cameras allegedly in the campus area, and because the student in question didn't want to extend the case, the rumors suddenly disappeared. She never heard about it anymore, like it never happened at all.

Chanyeol also told them that they found some unidentified pills, and they were still investigating if Baekhyun was possibly doing drugs too and was involved in the drug dealing network. She was told that the result was supposed to be revealed one of these days, and she was wondering if the program would tell her about it too.

"Popcorn?"

Jisoo snapped out from her short reverie as Yixing plumped on the space next to her with a bucket of popcorn in hands. She was a bit dumbfounded at first, questioning why he would bring the popcorn when—oh, oh. Yixing smiled knowingly and raised his brow, and Jisoo started to laugh.

"Nice," she said while scooping a handful of popcorn and put a small portion of them into , glancing at him shortly just to scratch his hair lovingly. She was wondering why Yixing was so busy in the kitchen a while ago, never thought that popcorn was the answer.

Yixing reached for the TV remote to turn up the volume and folded his feet on the couch, putting the popcorn on them,

"This is literally the best show of the year."

Jisoo scoffed at his remark.

Most of what they watched tonight was actually known to Jisoo from Chanyeol, minus the comments from the police officer who handled the case, the public and the people associated with the case, including some of the other victims' families, and then her students.

"I should call Kyungsoo. He has helped me a lot since long ago, I haven't been able to thank him for everything he did the past month." Jisoo said when she saw Kyungsoo appeared on the scene to give his comment as the students' representative.

Since the public was shocked by the revelation of the police's discovery in Baekhyun's apartment, the student association was said to be protesting in front of the faculty again. The dean finally issued a letter of apology on behalf of his personal and faculty name on the front page of the campus web, then sent it to all online news media along with an official statement of his resignation from the university. Jisoo heard from Chanyeol that Baekhyun's dismissal letter came out at the same time the police named him a suspect and held him in prison while waiting for the trial to start.

So many things happened today. Once the official police statement came out, both Yixing and Jisoo's phone didn't stop ringing (Yixing finally gave her phone back as soon as they returned from Beijing to see that she seemed ready to return to the real world). Jisoo received the first call from her mother, they cried together for over an hour for the sadness and anger about the case as well as the latest news her old woman heard from Minseok. But at least Jisoo could make the atmosphere better, replacing her mother's tears with smiles and laughter when she told her that she and Yixing would start preparing for their marriage once the trial was over. Her mother promised to return to Korea to help her prepare everything she needed, and Jisoo couldn't be happier than that.

Yixing's mother and grandfather also called them at the same time to give their support and tell her how relieved they were with the news they had heard. Jisoo couldn't stop thanking them for that. Some of their family members as well as close relatives also called and sent her messages of support, including Yifei, even Soojung. And she couldn't be more satisfied to hear from Soojung that along with the multiple lawsuits that Baekhyun got from his other victims, at least it would have served him five to ten years in prison.

"Hey, have you thought about what you will do with the faculty? Minseok has been pestering me to tell you to send them your resignation letter, but I couldn't bring it up to you because I think it's fully your decision to make." Yixing said an hour later once the program was over. He turned his head sideways to her, "Are you really going to resign?"

Jisoo locked her eyes with his and said no words for a few moments. She had no answer to that question actually, so she had no idea what to say. Yes, she really wanted to get out from that hell, to forget those people who had treated her unfairly and to leave it all behind. But at the same time, she couldn't stop thinking about her students. They had been doing many things to support her, she knew how disappointing it would be for them if she decided to leave.

The university had been her second home for the past year, she had so many good memories that she made with her students along with the classes that she had handled. Apart from the few people who actually against her, there many more people who had a good relationship with her. And she wouldn't deny that there's a part of her who wanted to come back just to rub it on those people's petty face, that she was okay. And that this case only made her much stronger and stood higher. 

"I don't know, Yixing. If you were me, what would you do?" she asked him back instead.

"Well," Yixing turned back to the TV screen, which was now airing a drama rebroadcast and threw some left popcorn into his mouth, thinking about it a bit. "If I were you, I think I'll go back to university and take back what was once mine. And maybe do a bit of revenge."

Jisoo started to laugh again knowing how their mind was more or less the same. 

"The president of the university invited me for a meeting tomorrow, and I kind of nervous about what he would say," she said.

"He will apologize, that's obvious. My gut says he will propose some offers to get you back to the university so we'll drop the charge against them."

"What offer?" Jisoo tilted her head. Yixing was obviously much experienced in something like this, he knew a lot about things that she never even thought about.

"Promotion? I mean, that's what I'll do if I were in his shoes." Yixing put the empty bucket on the table, rested his elbow on the couch and propped his ear on the palm of his hand while facing Jisoo. "And as we talk about that, unfortunately, I can't go with you to meet the president tomorrow. I have this important meeting that I can't ditch, so I was thinking. What about Luhan go with you? He took legal studies as a minor, and he can help you settle things up when it's necessary. Then he can take you for a grocery shopping you'll need for the housewarming party you promise him to have, and if I can make it, I'll join you guys after that. How's that sound?"

Jisoo raised her eyebrows, "But, won't it be awkward to go with Luhan only? We're not even that close," she asked reluctantly.

"You've seen him, Baobei, he's everything but awkward. Believe me, you'll like him. I trust him too, he won't make you uncomfortable." he then clicked his tongue seeing how Jisoo was being unconfident about the whole situation, he took her hand with his free one and held it securely. "Hey, if it's really that bad tomorrow, just give me a call. I'll come to you for the rescue no matter what it takes."

And Jisoo started to laugh again, "Okay, fine. I believe you." she said. She was a bit relaxed now knowing that at least someone with the knowledge would go with her to face one of her biggest problems right now. She told him how much relieving today was for her, and how she couldn't wait for the trial to start because then everything would be so much easier for her to see the end of this.

They were discussing the plan of the pre-wed photoshoot and told him that Kyungsoo was actually a professional photographer as a side job when Yixing's phone rang. He reached his phone from the high table behind the couch with a swing of his free hand and glanced on the screen with an 'Oh, it's Chanyeol,' before he swiped it to take the call.

"Yes?" he greeted lazily, then put the phone on speaker mode.

"Hey, did you watch the news coverage on B- case?" Chanyeol asked.

"Yeah, I watched it with Jisoo just now. With a bucket of popcorn."

Chanyeol let out a guffaw that Yixing had to put the phone away from them, mouthing 'God, he's so loud my head hurts,' to her. And Jisoo only chuckled to that.

"Are you calling just to ask me that?" Yixing asked exactly ten seconds later after Chanyeol's laughter died down, and the latter cleared his throat.

"No, I'm calling to tell you the result of the drug we found in that 's apartment." Chanyeol paused for a second, "Is Jisoo there?"

"I'm here," Jisoo answered it for him.

"Okay, you two listen to it carefully. It's kind of creepy because it hasn't been a while since the last time I heard people that still use this drug in the US for an actually different reason. So, the drug is called Mulpong, have you heard about it?"

"No." Jisoo and Yixing replied to him simultaneously. 

"Its scientific name is GHB, or Gamma Hydroxybutyrate, commonly referred to as a “club drug” or “date ” drug." Jisoo winced at the mention of the referring name. "So, to make it short, it came in odorless and colorless drug, but once it's combined with alcohol and given to unsuspecting victims prior to ual assaults, the victims become incapacitated due to its sedative effects. It causes euphoria, increases  drive, and induces amnesia—which means it causes them having no slightest recollection afterward of what happened. And because of the short half-life of the drug, it's untraceable in the urine after only 12 hours. This has been the cause of so many unfinished cases here in the country, Guys, and that bastard has it in his vault for some reason..."

Chanyeol had no idea, but both Jisoo and Yixing had been speechless while he was explaining what the drug was all about. She had her hand covering , and Yixing was staring at her with his most stoic and unreadable face. She just knew that they were thinking about the same thing this time. That it was the answer to Yixing's uneasiness for these past two years, this was the drug that he had been searching for all this time.

"Do you know where he got the drug from?" it was the first question that Yixing threw at him after quite a silence.

"Yeah. We questioned him about this today, and he came to confess that he got it from this Chinese girl he met on a night club last year. She goes by the name of MJ—"

Jisoo gasped in shock, and Yixing finally unlatched his head from his palm hearing the initial name. It's obvious, they had their biggest suspicion on someone and there's no even need to guess. 

"Sorry, Chanyeol, I have a phone call to make. Let me confirm something then I'll be right back at you. Thank you so much for the information, we love you!" Yixing was excited all of sudden and ended the call without hearing Chanyeol's reply on his weird 'we love you' exclaim. He cupped her face and planted a long deep kiss on her lips before he pulled away quickly.

"You know, Beibei? I officially call this one of the best days of my life—" he jumped off of the couch side swiftly, "After I met you, and our future wedding." and then he left to his room. Jisoo flinched when she heard him shout, "You're dead, Meng Jia!" she put her hand on her chest, a bit shock to see even Yixing could behave like that.

Apart from what happened to Yixing, Jisoo had her own surprise. The fact that Baekhyun had the drug in his apartment made her wonder what his purpose was for having it in the first place. She had her own suspicions, but this was too scary to think about. Did Baekhyun really think of using it on her?

She flinched again when her cellphone vibrated with the message notification sound. She reached out to take it from the coffee table and saw that Chanyeol had sent her a message,

'I assume the 'we love you' is an accident because I know Yixing hates me,' he said in his first message. Jisoo answered by sending him a LOL emoticon.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter