017 - the problematic couple

Compelling Affection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

"Professor, are you going to The Braga Meetings this June? I heard that they've sent their second invitation for you this week." 

Jisoo looked up from her iPad and put her gaze to Kyungsoo, one of her assistants for the graduate students. They just got back from a conference in Ehwa and he was walking her to her office to arrange the materials for the spring classes when the question was heard.

"I don't think so. I have my schedule set for June, I'm not sure if I should accept the invitation since I have my international trip that month already," she replied nonchalantly, eyes back to the iPad screen.

"And what's wrong if you have an international trip already in June? You usually make two or three trips in a month." he proposed.

"I'm arranging my schedules and reducing the intensity of going abroad."

"Why?" 

If someone else asked the question, his nosy intention must have upset her. She didn't really like to talk about her personal life, especially to people who she considered not that close. But it's Kyungsoo, he's one of the people who had been working with her the longest time. And she had known him since he was an undergraduate student, so he was forgiven.

"Personal reason," she answered him shortly. She glanced sideways to see Kyungsoo was staring at him, not for a specific purpose, but every time he did it, it was because he was thinking. Jisoo raised her brow, and he grinned.

"I haven't had the chance to congratulate you. I've heard the news, and it's quite viral apparently," he said after that.

Jisoo scoffed, "I don't know why this kind of news goes viral when I'm nobody, people are really too much." she retorted later.

"Professor, you're being so modest. Who doesn't know about the youngest professor who got her title at the age of 25? You're like Jung Jihyun in the academic world." he vocalized, "Plus you turned out to date the Crown Prince of the Chinese biggest oil company, which turned out to be literally a royal bloodline. And it's amusing because if you still remember, he actually proposed you at the conference. The kids even said this would be interesting if you guys are dating, which you really are. I never heard such a big surprise in my life." and he laughed.

Ah, he's right. Now that he mentioned it, she couldn't help think how funny it was. Jisoo never really thought about Yixing's proposal since he meant it as a joke, to relate things that he was trying to propose in his opinion. If only they'd known that his proposal was actually a foresight of the future, the kids were right, things couldn't get much more interesting than this.

They exchanged more conversation. Kyungsoo talked about the development of his dissertation and asked for some input on several matters relating to his research. And Jisoo was giving him the tips that he might need when they saw the crowd not far in front of them.

Approaching the new semester more students seemed to be starting to enliven the campus to register their courses. Actually, she wasn't surprised to see that many students passing by, but today was different because Yixing was standing in the middle of the crowd.

"Am I really seeing what I'm seeing?" she asked Kyungsoo.

"Yes, Ma'am. Your fiance seems like having a mini fansign here."

Both Jisoo and Kyungsoo were both silent as they watched the female students flock to Yixing, asking him to sign the campus magazine covering his interview a few months ago. She could barely contain her laughter when they asked him for some selfies. She could see how uncomfortable he was, but he hid it because he seemed to have to do it so they would show him the way to (probably) see her.

Kyungsoo cleared his throat to attract their attention, and the girls suddenly bowed and apologized when they saw Jisoo there, and they dispersed immediately when Kyungsoo told them to.

"Sorry if they made you uncomfortable," Kyungsoo said to him as soon as Yixing was free from the crowd.

"I'm fine. Thank you for the help," Yixing responded kindly. "Who are you?"

Kyungsoo immediately offered his hand to shake Yixing's and with a broad smile introduced himself, "Oh, pardon my impudence. My name's Do Kyungsoo. I'm Professor Kim's assistant,"

"Oh yes, of course. Jisoo told me about you," Yixing shook Kyungsoo's hand firmly, "Thank you for helping Jisoo so much."

"No problem, Sir. I'm the one who's been very grateful to professor Kim, I've learned a lot by being her assistant for the past year." Kyungsoo then turned to Jisoo, seeing that it was his cue to leave. "You can call me if you need help with students' materials. Just send me the email, I'll study them right away," he told her.

"Okay, thanks, Kyungsoo."

Kyungsoo nodded once more, and he bowed lightly to them before spinning around and walking away.

And once they were alone, Jisoo couldn't help to smile widely. Jisoo didn't get to see him after Beijing since Yixing had to fly again to Europe for about a week. And seeing him here was such a surprise because Yixing didn't tell her when he came home.

"I ordered lunch, I hope you haven't eaten yet," he said after a while.

Oh, how she missed him so much, she wished she could hold him right now. But she knew that she had to hold herself back now, considering they were in public places and there were lots of kids here and it's inappropriate to have even the smallest kind of skinship show.

She took a breath and shook her head, "I haven't eaten anything."

"Very good. So, will you show me the way?"

Jisoo jerked her chin, beckoning him to follow her to her office building. Jisoo tried to keep her distance and control her expression while walking with Yixing to her office because all eyes were now on them. She knew clearly that they knew what they were looking at, some even tried to capture their picture while they conversed. Some she ignored, but if Jisoo recognized them as her students, she joked around by telling them not to post it on social media. After Beijing seemed like she was getting used to not thinking too much about people's impudence in violating her privacy, she began to compromise with herself, that they could do anything with her picture as long as it didn't harm her.

"When did you arrive?" Jisoo asked as they walked into the faculty building.

"A few hours ago. Got myself home and changed my clothes, then I came here." Yixing smiled, "I miss you so much, can't wait to see you."

"That sweet mouth of yours," Jisoo elbowed him playfully. As she was staring at him close, she couldn't help to replay that memory when they kissed in the swimming pool. That sweet taste of his lips, it still lingered on her head that she could still feel how soft it was to have them on hers. And she blushed to even think about it again, but it was that time when she realized how good Yixing was in holding back himself. It was a great kiss, and it was intense that Jisoo almost thought that she would probably lay down to him if things fell apart. But to her surprise, Yixing didn't let them so. He stopped everything before things got heated without making her feel dejected. He had a high level of self-control, and it was exactly what she needed because she just knew that she wasn't that good at it, and she was glad at least one of them excelled it.

"Anyway, what time are you going home today?" Yixing then asked a few moments later.

Jisoo glanced at her watch, "Probably around four. Why are you asking?" she asked him back.

"I couldn't find some documents in my home office, and I remembered the last time I read them was in your library. And they're kind of important, so I have to get them," he told her.

"Ah, why wait for me to go home. Get them now if it's that important." she said, then she leaned sideways to whisper in his ear, "It's 940114." 

"What's 940114?"

"Hey, don't say it out loud," she smacked his arm and leaned up again to reply him in his ear for the second time, "It's the lock code. I've just told you the biggest secret in my whole existence, keep it with your life."

With a small laugh, Yixing put his clutched hand on his chest and nodded, "Yes, Ma'am." he said. "But the numbers are so random. Whose birthday is that?" 

"You don't want to know, Yixing." Jisoo rolled her eyes, hoping that Yixing would just let it go. But of course, he wouldn't do that just that easy, because he started pestering her with the question.

"Oh, no. Now that you say it like that, I want to know so bad." Yixing held her arm so she would face him, "It's not your ex-boyfriend's birthday, is it?"

"Whoa, I wish. It would make my life be so much colorful if he has been my boyfriend." 

Yixing raised his brow, looking at her in exaggerated disbelief, "But how can you say that in front of my face? It really hurts my pride."

"That's your own risk, I've warned you. I said you don't want to know but you insist." Jisoo defended herself. She really enjoyed such a moment, Yixing was naturally a funny person. It was just easy for him to make her laugh with a simple gesture or expression, and when they were in playful mode, they just loved to tease each other. 

And Yixing in the pursed-lips mode was lethal, he just didn't look like someone who was in his third decade when he behaved like that.

"It's Kai's birthday, alright? Now stop whining." she tickled his chin to again.

"Who's Kai now?"

"Google him, he's famous."

Yixing didn't waste his time to fish out his phone from his coat pocket and did what she said. The fact that Yixing was that curious really made her want to laugh it off.

"EXO Kai?" he pronounced a moment later, "Seriously? You save your apartment lock code over a celebrity's birthday? That's ridiculous." 

"Hey, he's my first love, give him some respect." she elbowed him again, acting like she was offended.

"I'm not giving someone some respect just like that, he has to earn it."

She really wanted to mention the series of things that Kai had done to his fans and the public which she believed would earn him so much respect just to defend the one who once was the love of her life, but she stopped herself thinking how ridiculous it was and that it would probably lead to a more absurd conversation. So she just rolled her eyes.

"Ah, talk about giving respect, the faculty held an informal function this weekend. It's an annual meeting that we always have before the spring semester begins. If you don't have any schedule, can you go with me? I need a date for that. And people kind of want to meet you too." 

Yixing rested his arm to her shoulder and pulled her close to him, "Sure, anything for my lady." he said with a small smile on his face.

"You're fully aware that dating for the lecturers in the university area is prohibited, aren't you? You've set bad examples for your students with your disrespectful skinship." They stop walking to see Baekhyun blocking their way. His arms crossed on his chest, he gave them a scornful look as if what they did was a sin.

Jisoo just scoffed, 'disrespectful skinship' he said? Who was he to say that to her? Was he jealous? Even if he was, Jisoo didn't think he should talk like that in front of Yixing, it's really rude. Especially since they did nothing that violated the rules. Did he have to behave like that?

Jisoo hadn't been talking to Baekhyun since the incident at the cafeteria last month with Sehun. He always looked away when they passed to each other, and deliberately showed his displeased face. And Jisoo was not offended at all by his attitude, even though she didn't really understand why Baekhyun was acting like that, she was quite happy because at least he stopped approaching her. She would rather not talk to him again if she could.

But today, it's nothing like that. Today she was offended.

"Mind your own business, Baekhyun. You're not the owner of this place," she said. Like seriously, why would he talk down to her like that? They're a colleague, it's very unprofessional of him to behave like that in front of other people, for whatever reason he might have. It's just blatantly overreacting.

"I'm a teacher here, it's my job to tell you that bringing your boyfriend to campus is unethical..."

Jisoo scoffed again, "Seriously? Are we really going to talk about ethics here? Do I really have to mention the series of unethical things you've done to ..."

"Whoa, Guys. Alright. What's going on here?" Yixing interrupted in the middle of the fight. He looked so confused and seemed a bit offended himself because of Baekhyun's attitude. "No ethics are violated here, and please, I'm just visiting,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter