024 - a friend in need, a friend indeed

Compelling Affection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Jisoo thought Yixing was kidding when he said the therapy hurt like hell the last time he went to see the doctor. He told her to go straight to the hotel and waited for him there, but she insisted to accompany him instead. And Jisoo regretted her decision instantly.

The doctor gave him a short scolding about how didn't he take care of his body and came to see him much earlier than he was supposed to. He'd give him this kind of therapy where he would use a spinal blast to shock the soft tissue on his spine, which was going to hurt a lot, but supposedly it got rid of the pain much faster than the usual therapy he got. Jisoo thought that she's going to be there for him, only to give up when he looked so much in pain—she couldn't see his face, but it was obvious by how tight his grip on the bedside was. Jisoo only found out that he'd been holding back the pain once she got out of the doctor's room and heard him scream.

The head security (the same person who took care of them last month) took her to the hospital cafeteria, served her a cup of latte while she waited for Yixing to get treated. And half of an hour felt like a century when she's waiting nervously. Once another security officer told her that the treatment was done, the head security took her back to the doctor's room. Yixing was still laying on his stomach on the examination bed, face facing his side, passed out.

"He has this injury since long ago, and had been in the rehabilitation program for years. But, he's a very difficult person, no matter how I tried to tell him to take care of his body, he always ended up hurting himself with all the hectic schedules and everything." the doctor told her. "He needs to have a cutdown, and I said a big one this time. I know he's terribly stubborn but please bear with him, he really needs his rest."

Jisoo took a deep breath and dropped her eyes to her hands on her lap. She had no idea what to say. When Yixing and his mother said that he had a spine injury, and how it would cause him back pain, she never thought that it was a serious condition. She walked up to him when he stirred with a soft whimper, let him gain his energy before he could move and sit on the bed with the doctor's help.

"Take a rest, will you? I really mean it this time, Yixing. We're going to do surgery if this situation occurs for the second time." the doctor told him, "Listen to the lady here. Whatever she says is for your good. Okay?"

Yixing didn't say anything. He reached for Jisoo and rest his head on her shoulder blade for some moments before the doctor let them leave.

Apparently they needed to take the back door this time because Yixing's visit with Jisoo was known by the media. Jisoo didn't see any of them, but the security said they were waiting for them in front of the hospital. The security helped her to secure their way while Jisoo pushed Yixing with the wheelchair. She had no ideas when the securities doubled themselves, but she was surprised to see so many of them now taking care of them. Apparently, all the exit ways were swarmed by media, so they had no choice but to get through them.

They got out from the exit with the fewest flocks of people. Jisoo was flanked by three bodyguards to get into the car with Yixing following next with the help of the other three, then they went straight to the hotel. Another wheelchair was waiting for them when the car dropped them through the basement, they got through from the back entrance again to their room. Jisoo found out a moment later that it was the same room that she stayed in the last she was here too. 

The doctor gave him a painkiller and a sleeping pill that he took when he was in the car, so Yixing immediately went back to sleep as he reached the room, face down on the pillow. Jisoo stayed with him in his room, studying the prescription that the doctor gave him and was unpacking the suitcase when his phone rang. His mother called, and Jisoo decided to answer it for him.

"Hello, Ayi, it's me." she greeted.

"Meimei? I heard from the head security that they just dropped you from the hospital. How's Yixing?" his mother asked, her voice was worried.

"The doctor gave him a new therapy today. He used this tool to blast his neurotic tissue to repair it and get rid of the pain, but it kind of a drain to his energy. " Jisoo sat at the tip of the bed on his side, Yixing's head while giving his mother a short explanation about the therapy today. "He's sleeping now, but he looks fine, despite the residual pain."

"Oh, poor my Xingxing." she heard her sighing, and Jisoo couldn't help to feel guilty about it. She felt responsible for not taking care of him properly, especially when his mother told her once to do so.

"I'm sorry, Ayi. I wish I could do better," she said apologetically then.

"It's not your fault. Yixing is just too obstinate, he's not good at listening to others." 

He actually was in most cases, Jisoo would like to say. Maybe it's only when it's related to his schedule that he couldn't just control it, he's a working freak, and even Jisoo couldn't tame him for it. Well, yet.

"And how about you? Are you okay?"

"Yes, I am. Yixing has been giving me so much moral support, I'm so thankful. I'm sorry I cause you all so many troubles, it must have been chaotic weeks." she said again.

Jisoo really meant it when she said that. Yixing didn't give her anything about what happened here in China, but she had a feeling that the situation wasn't good either, especially with how the press had been so eager in having their pictures in the hospital. She heard some of them asked her about the case; she even heard one of them asking how she could still leisurely make some travel outside the country when she was supposed to reflect herself. When somebody had the heart to shout the question on her face, she could imagine how bad people commenting about it on social media.

"Well, since I joined the family so many years ago, I've stopped caring about what people said. And I suggest you do so, Meimei. Yixing told me everything about the case, and how bad those people had been mistreating you. I just wish it's over soon. I hope for the best for you."

"Thank you so much, Ayi. Your support means a lot to me." 

"I will always support you, Meimei. I'm the one who brought you into this family, so, I believe in you. But no more reckless action, please." she scolded.

"No, Ayi. I promise you I'm a better person now. I'll always talk it out with Yixing before I do anything big."

"Yes, of course. Anyway, are you planning to visit the house?" his mother asked a minute later, which Jisoo had to answer it with uncertainty. They were too focused on seeing the doctor, that they had not had this conversation earlier. But she promised her that she would mention it to Yixing once he's awake. They had another small chatter after that, talking about her case and the current situation. The call ended two minutes later, and it was silence again.

Jisoo didn't have that many things to do. She walked around the room, skipped the TV since she wasn't really interested in watching some until she found a stack of books by the home office. She chose this novel entitled The Princess Returning Pearl which written in English, she remembered it was adapted into a famous TV drama, and watch its two early seasons years ago. She took the book with her and climbed to the bed, next to the sleeping Yixing, and read it while having the muted TV on.

The sky was getting dark when she was halfway reading the novel, and Jisoo decided to order some dinner for them. And she was reading in the living room when Yixing emerged from the bedroom, looking exhausted and a bit disoriented.

"How are you feeling? The pain's gone?" she asked.

"Yeah. I'm good." Yixing seated himself next to her and tilted his head to rest it on her shoulder. "Ugh, this spinal blast really got me traumatized."

Jisoo chuckled, "At least it makes you realized how important this is to take care of yourself, doesn't it? The doctor said if the same condition happened again, he had no choice but doing surgery." she said.

"I don't want to have surgery."

It made her smile again. She put her hand on his cheek, caressed it gently while he snuggled on her. She told him that she just ordered some dinner, and it's just coincidence that Yixing was hungry too. It was actually about time that the dinner came, and Jisoo was about to call the room service to ask for it when they heard Yixing's phone rang again from the bedroom.

Yixing rose from the couch to get his phone, at the same time the room's bell rang. She sprinted to the door to open it, welcoming the two hotel staff bringing their dinner with a cart.

"Just put it on the table," she commanded them.

Her eyes landed at Yixing, who came out from the bedroom. In confusion, he reached out his arm to give her his phone. "Uh, Baobei, it's grandpa. He wants to speak with you," he said tentatively.

Jisoo was frozen at first, but seeing Yixing gave her a reassuring nodded and mouthed 'it's okay', she took the phone from him reluctantly and took it to her room from the connecting door.

"Hello, Yeye, it's Jisoo." she sat by the tip of the bed in the bedroom, greeting Yixing's old man timidly.

"Oh, hello. How are you?" grandpa's voice was deep and collected, it sounded majestic even from the phonecall.

"I'm good. How are you?" she asked back. 

Awkward, it was really awkward. She thought she could be more relaxed to be around him after the dinner, but the case felt like getting them back to square one. She was intimidated by his voice only.

"Well, this old man is good. Some people here were apparently too busy to tell me that my grandchildren are visiting the country, that I have to know it from the news." he sighed, "It's pretty chaotic here these days, isn't it?"

"I'm sorry for disappointing you, Yeye." she said, having nothing else to respond. She was totally aware of the chaos, Yixing must have so many people pressuring him too here.

"Well, at least you know that it is indeed disappointing. When I thought I'll accept you for whoever you are, I didn't expect this to be your flaw." her heart sunk with the words. It's excruciatingly painful to hear that, even though she admitted that it was nothing wrong. "And the problem is, Yixing doesn't live only for himself, Child. No matter how stubborn he was ignoring the people, he still lives by the people's voices. It's what makes him who he is. Are you aware of how many people he has sued for standing up for you here?"

Jisoo bit her lip.

"Thousand. He sued them and took their money, and even put them in jail. And people here are not happy with it. They think he betrays the country by defending you to that extent."

Jisoo felt extremely bad for so many people; not only Yixing and his family but also the people that he had sued. She was aware of the hundred people that they sued back home, and how Yixing was persistent for not settling down with them no matter what. She sometimes thought of how it would cause the life of the end of the party, but Yixing said that it's for deterrent effect. He decided not settling down to warn people that they wouldn't take bullying and defamation easy.

She was thankful for all the support that Yixing had been giving her all this time, but if it caused him being called a betrayer, Jisoo wasn't sure if it's worth the fight anymore. But why did he tell her this? She was fully aware that he wanted her to do something, and she had this feeling that it wasn't anything good. The people were mad and used the word 'betrayer' to even call him because of her, did his grandfather want her to put an end on this? The idea alone scared her terribly, but Jisoo had no brave to ask either. 

"I love your grandson, Yeye. I didn't mean to cause him so many troubles, but if this means I have to leave, I don't think I can do that. You can make me do everything else to fix this, but please don't tell me to leave him." she choked. She'd been trying hard to hold back her tears, but Jisoo couldn't help it anymore.

"Child, of all people, I'm the only one who never said anything about it. Yixing will hate me too if I tell you that." he sighed then, "All I'm trying to say is, I know that he holds you very dearly in his heart, but we can't justify what he'd done to these thousands of people just because of that. I know Yixing will do what I said, but he won't learn anything. I think he will listen to you more." If you want to win these people's heart, I suggest you start from revoking the lawsuit. Forgive them, they will learn their lesson one way or another. Believe me, although it won't make them accepting you wholly, they will see you like someone's worth the crown. People need a tiger's tamer, and you're the only one who can do it. Do you get me?"

Jisoo nodded her head as if grandfather could see her doing it.

"I do, I promise you, I'll talk it out with him." she sniffed as she was trying to stop her sob. "Thank you, Yeye."

"Okay. Tell Yixing to come home, let's have some meals together."

"I'll tell him that too."

When the call ended, Jisoo slid off to the floor, back resting on the bedside. She folded her knees and buried her face on them, feeling so relieved and nervous at the same time. She had been worrying over nothing. Knowing how Yixing's grandfather was actually a very good and supportive person, she felt so bad for misunderstanding his strictness. Yixing had been having a bad impression about him, but he never realized how much his grandfather actually loved him. She had to talk about it with him one of these days.

"Baobei, what happened? What did my grandpa say?" 

Jisoo raised her head to find Yixing crouching before her. For a moment it was silence. She lifted her hand and put it on the side of his face, then she smiled. "I love your grandfather," she replied to him,

Yixing didn't seem to get her at first. He frowned, a bit lost to where her words were getting. "Then, does it mean something good?" he asked, and Jisoo nodded.

"He wants you to come home and has some meals with him," she said again. 

Yixing gave it a thought for a while and then he nodded too with a growing beam on his face. "Let's go tomorrow."

Jisoo mimicked his nod with a soft 'okay'. 

 

 

 

Yixing looked much healthie

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter