Voldemin's First Mischief

Stories of Baby Voldemin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Chef, how many tomatoes in a plate."

"I don't know."

"Chef, sauce on or side."

"I don't know."

"Chef, what do I do with the chicken?"

"I don't know."

“Chef, you’re blocking the oven.”

"Oh for God's sake!" Jaejoong smacks Yunho on his head and dumps Changmin in his lap. "If you're not going to do anything, watch over your son." And he proceeds to put on an apron and help Dara with assembling the cake. Everyone resumes their work knowing their head chef is out of sorts today.

Yunho wishes he wasn't but he can't help it. So instead of getting in the way Yunho decides to head to his old bedroom and get dressed for the reception.

In the room, Yunho looks at his suit that's hanging on his closet. On the floor, Changmin's bag is next to an overnight bag that has Jaejoong's pyjamas but no suit. Because he wasn't invited to Yunho's cousin's wedding.

His extended family still hasn't adjusted to Yunho's relationship with another man. So even though his cousin's wedding is in the park behind the Jung home and Yunho's restaurant is doing the catering, Jaejoong is still not welcome to the wedding.

When Minji ran into some trouble with the wedding planning Yunho's parents offered to help with the community park only open to the residents of the neighbourhood the Jungs live in and had Yunho help with the catering. They hoped it would be an opportunity for the family to warm up to Jaejoong and consequently Changmin. But they were left disheartened when Minji's family simply said they didn't want Jaejoong there.

The declaration even made the Jungs forget to tell them about Changmin. Not that it matters anymore. Yunho doesn't need their toxicity around his demon baby.

Speaking of whom Changmin lets out a cry making Yunho sigh. He grabs the baby bag and lays out the artillery on the bed to change Changmin's diaper.

Jaejoong had complained to Heechul about the nuclear diapers after which the feline demon had given Changmin some glowy blue potion. And magically no more nose burning diapers. Changmin only has to cry to let them know he needs a change.

All clean and rested Changmin gurgles happily telling him feeding is going to be on the agenda soon. Yunho nuzzles that small face eliciting more giggles from the sprightly baby.

"Oh man... I almost don't want to go. Should Appa stay here? Will you play with Appa?"

Changmin's response is to pucker his lips in search for food. "I knew you'd put food over your Appa. Any way you need to keep Daddy company while Appa is at the wedding okay?"

"Don't order your majesty!"

"The !" Yunho jumps when Heechul spoke so close to his face. It's obviously funny to Changmin who's laughing away. "Heechul, what are you doing here?!"

"You guys weren't home. And I need to be near his highness in case he needs me."

If Yunho knew better he'd say the feline demon is a bit snappy they left him behind. "Relax. If Changmin needs anything his parents are there for him." Yunho gestures at himself. "And it's just my parents’ house." Yunho hears a commotion outside in the distance and knows the guests are arriving. "Since you're here can you watch over Min while I change?" Yunho is already pulling his suit off the hangar as he speaks. He has to be quick if he has to make it in time for the cake to be presented.

"Where is that person?"

Yunho has to chuckle at the way Heechul refers to Jaejoong. Really, two divas can't share the same breathing space.

“Jaejoong’s downstairs. We’re using my parents’ kitchen to make the food for the wedding. In case you run into him while I’m at the wedding, please don’t destroy my parents’ house. Just stick to your usual glaring and snarky talk.”

“Hmmm… I’m confused.”

“What’s so confusing? You glare at Jaejoong every time he’s with Changmin and he calls you a ‘pickle puddle’… whatever that is.”

Heechul ignores that creative insult Jaejoong called him last night – what’s wrong with trying to teach the future demon king how to make things simultaneously combust? It’s good to start early – and continues his earlier thought. “I was talking about running into that person today. I assumed he’d be with you.”

If Heechul notices Yunho pause for half a second, he doesn’t say. “He’s going to be helping in the kitchen and watch Min. Or maybe you can watch him today. Just as long as things aren’t exploding.” Yunho can hear the voices from the back of the house get louder and he knows he needs to get a move on. He lifts Changmin to transfer him into Heechul’s hands, “Can you take him?”

“My knowledge about your human customs might not be perfect, but I thought everyone in the family is expected to gather for a wedding.” Heechul takes Changmin, wondering why he’s going to stay behind too. Heechul might not show it, but he takes the contract very seriously. And he’ll not take too kindly if the humans aren’t holding their end of the deal to be proper guardians of the demon king.

"Sadly some of my relatives don't think of Jaejoong as family." It's beginning to dawn on Yunho that getting through this day without Jaejoong won't be easy. He's going to see those poorly hidden judgemental expressions from his own family and while Jaejoong has developed a talent of selectively shutting his senses to such behaviour Yunho has barely managed to tune out strangers, let alone family.

He's so nervous he's imagining even Changmin's expression appears sad. "You know... I'm not even sure they'd see Changmin as family." He can't even help the apologetic feeling towards Changminas he speaks.

"Who cares about that !" Scoffs Heechul, "Those guys will be dust when His Evilness takes over the world. And between you and me I'm not for royalty fraternising with the future servants."

"Haha... very funny." Even if he brushes it off as a joke Yunho is sure the demon is serious. He should just go to the bathroom and get dressed.

"Hey!" Heechul calls out though Yunho is not sure what more is there to say. He'd like to rip this bandaid off quickly. "I don't know if you've noticed but his highness is a lot more perceptive than the average human baby when it comes to you. Your and Jaejoong's (it took a lot of effort for Heechul to say his name) feelings are directly connected to his highness through the contract. So you got to be careful around him." If what Heechul is saying is true Yunho may not be imagining Changmin's sadness earlier.

"Yunho, ETA in 15~" Jaejoong hollers from somewhere in the house. "Alright...the bride and groom will be here soon so I gotta get dressed." Yunho takes his suit and heads to the bathroom. "But we've got to discuss all of Min's novelties later." With that Yunho shuts the bathroom door.

Heechul remains rooted in his spot with an armful of demon king till Changmin lets out a squeak. Immediately Heechul is bouncing to the window and holding Changmin higher so they could both peek outside. There's a narrow street beyond the Jungs’ property wall and a park across the street. There's a lavender theme going on with the seating, the decorations, and the open tent. The two pairs of demon eyes could see the crowd congratulating one elderly couple.

"Looks like it's those people Your Infernal Lordship. But they look so old." Changmin squeaks again which makes Heechul look at him slightly aghast. "But Your Majesty shouldn't bother with these trivial beings. Even your parents don't care about them." Changmin's face scrunches up, almost like he's chastising him. And woe to Heechul for upsetting his diabolical master. "Understood my lord."

When Yunho steps out looking dapper in his suit, the room is void of any adults. "Heechul-ssi?" There's no sign of the feline demon. There's a demon, who's all cute on the bed the way he's kicking his tiny foot. "Hey...where's your loyal servant?" Yunho picks up Changmin who lets out a happy squeal when his father is in sight. Yunho feels nothing can make his day better than knowing his very presence delights Changmin.

"And where did the new clothes come from?" Yunho knows they don't have this fluffy penguin onesie for Changmin, let alone packed it for their stay tonight. "Did your servant dress you up?" Changmin responds by curling his fingers around Yunho's finger. That feels wonderful. And an errant thought enters his mind. "You know this wouldn't feel so difficult if at least you're with me."

~~~

"Guys we could use an extra set of hands to plate up." Hojun asks Jaejoong and Dara while the others are preparing a station to plate up in the dining room.

"Let's get the cake out first. I'll call Yunho." Jaejoong makes his way upstairs but runs into Yunho and Changmin in the middle of the stairway. Yunho doesn't miss Jaejoong's curious look at Changmin's new penguin look.

"Kim Heechul was here. But he disappeared again."

"Well not a bad choice from someone who dresses like he stepped out of a house from literal Tartaros. Did you know he has a guy from the Underworld Artisans Guild customize actual designer wear?" As he speaks Jaejoong is reaching for Changmin. But Yunho presses him closer, "is it okay if I take Min with me... I'd feel less nervous..."

Jaejoong takes a couple of seconds during which Yunho thinks he's going to refuse before he nods. "Sure. And if it gets too much just say he needs to feed or change and come back here." Jaejoong shifts his hands to fix Yunho's tie instead. "Just so you know, I'm not okay with the crap your family is giving me." Jaejoong says with a level of cuteness only he can pull off. "What you're feeling is not rare. Lot pf people get treated terribly for many reasons. I have an uncle who gave Jihyo noona hell because she doesn't want to have children. Now we don't see him at Christmas and he doesn't call any of us on our birthdays. And I tell you everyone's digestion and skin got a whole lot better."

Jaejoong tugs off Yunho's tie and undid the top button for that casual dressy look Yunho pulls off rather sinfully. Actually, Yunho pulls off even strawberry printed pyjamas ily. Not the time for this Jaejoong. "So you go there, be there for your family, and if we have one less ty relative to deal with after this, all the better. Remember, opinion matters only when you want it to." Jaejoong ends it with a sweet kiss to wish him luck.

"This is why I love you." Yunho whispers against his lips and if his tongue slightly grazes those plump pink lips, it's no accident. He may have been easily seduced by those teasing fingers lingering around his collarbone.

“I could list a lot more reasons you love me.”

“uh-huh… how about we discuss that list tonight?”

“I can think of better things to do tonight.”

“Oh for god’s sake guys!” both jump apart when Hojun shrieks, “This is not appropriate when you literally have a baby squished between you both!” he looks at Changmin’s who’s clinging to Yunho but has his wide eyes on him, “Look! He’s positively peeved by you creeps.”

Jaejoong flicks his wrist towards Hojun, “Shoo pest…”

They head downstairs where Dara, Taemin, and two of the hired wait staff have brought the cake out through the backdoor. Yunho shoves Changmin into Dara’s arms, “Tag, you’re it.” Dara doesn’t mind holding Changmin for the short journey across the street while Yunho takes her place beside the cart.

“Hey Yun,” Jaejoong stops him for a second, “I don’t care what they say about me or you. But anyone gives my baby any , you give me names and I load their desserts with purgatives. Okay?”

“Yes love.” Yunho replies right away because you don’t want to get in the way of Jaejoong’s threat.

“Good. Also, I’m making butter beer for everyone later. So, don’t fill up on dessert.” Jaejoong punctuates with a smack on Yunho’s .

With the promise of a Potterhead Yunho’s favorite drink, they wheel the three-tier cake to the reception. They have to take a slightly longer and less visible route to go around the cars parked along the street and avoid the guests to bring the cake to the tent.

They move the cake from the cart to the decorated table in the centre of the tent before arranging the cake topper and edible flowers on the tiers.

“You need to cover the cracks with the flowers.” Dara instructs Yunho.

“There aren’t enough flowers Dara.”

“we have some greens and florets too Hyung.” Taemin gets a tray of said sugar decorations from one of the lower levels of the cart.

While Yunho and Taemin are working on the cake, Dara dares a glance at the people around the garden. Most of the guests had gathered along a carpet that began from a makeshift arch of flowers some distance away where the newlyweds are going to enter from. A few had remained in their seats, probably a little weary or lazy to welcome the couple with the others.

Even with the handful of people in front of them, Dara could feel their attention bore into her. Their side glances towards them under the tent and stiff whispers made her squirm. Even Changmin could feel the eyes on them and curls up in Dara’s arms.

“When is the couple going to arrive?” Dara asks when they’re almost done with setting the cake. She’s hoping they can just get a move on and leave quickly.

“I saw their car earlier, so probably any minute now.” Yunho lets Taemin fuss over the finishing touches while he extends his hands towards Dara. “I’ll take him. You can go help the others.”

"Okay... just come back if you don't feel like staying." Yunho assures her that he'll not be staying too long and after Changmin is securely situated in Yunho's arms Dara and Taemin head back to the Jung home.

Yunho also finds a spot that's away from nosy gazes and has a good view of the main attraction. Just in time too. The newlyweds arrive, entering through the arch and walking down the carpet to the cheers of the guests. Before they could reach the tent though Yunho's attention is stolen by his mother madly waving at him.

"Yunho-yah!" Shinhye meanders through the crowd and saunters her way to him. Somewhere behind her he catches sight of his father walking to him much slowly. "Changminnie is here~ come to Halmeoni~" Shinhye makes grabby hands at the baby but Changmin whines at her voice.

Yunho twists his body to dodge his mother. "No way mom! He's mine today." Changmin wholly agrees with the way he's holding Yunho's shirt.

"But he already lives with you. Can't your poor mother spend some time with her only grandchild for a day?" Yunho has to wonder if his mother is taking emotional blackmail lessons from Jaejoong. He's quite weak to it.

"Don't play the pity card. You're too old for it." Yunho's saviour comes in the form of his father. Taewoo gestures to the nearest table, "let's sit there."

"What about the seating arrangement?"

"They have the venue and the catering by our graciousness. We can sit damn well where we please." They can't argue with Taewoo. So, they grab a chair each at the empty table. They're not that far but with the guests crowding around the tent they barely see the couple cutting the cake and moving on to their first dance.

The Jung grandparents are more absorbed in their grandson than pay attention. By the time Changmin is tired of their game of peek

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter