Meeting the Family

Stories of Baby Voldemin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's one of the rare days when their house is at full capacity. Jaejoong and Yunho spend more time at the restaurant than at home. And they've never hosted more than a set of parents or siblings at a time. Today is the first time their entire family including Jaejoong's eight sisters and their respective spouses and children are here.

It wasn't an easy task getting them all under one roof on a Sunday afternoon on short notice. But they all agreed when they said it's important.

As Jaejoong's sister, Minyoung; who was with them when their adoption fell through a week ago, waits for him in the kitchen instead of heading to the garden, Yunho can tell that they're all here because they're worried about Jaejoong.

The house is very lively thanks to Jaejoong's nieces and nephews. So Yunho's sure no one will notice his absence for a few minutes. He heads to the kitchen where Minyoung is stealing a bite out of the caramel pudding.

"Noona, if the kids see you, they're going to ask for dessert."

"I trust you to not tell on me." Minyoung turns to face him, "Yunho-yah, how are you holding up?"

"I'm fine..." Yunho is sure the others are getting started on the barbecue outside, so Yunho gets the snacks ready. And he’d rather not be reminded of what happened. "Jaejoong's fine too. We've gotten over what happened." Yunho and Minyoung grab plates of snacks and head outside.

"So what's the party about?"

"You'll know."

When they arrive outside Jaejoong's other sister, Sooyoung takes the plates from Yunho. "We got this. Someone is asking for you." Sooyoung jerks her head towards something above them and sure enough Jaejoong is at the balcony gesturing for Yunho to come upstairs.

Yunho excuses himself and goes to the bedroom, sort of worried about Jaejoong. The first thing he notices is Changmin is all swaddled and cosy on their bed.

Jaejoong couldn't help with the preparations much because he had been feeding a hungry baby all morning. And he seems to have a full belly for now.

"Jae?"

"in here." Jaejoong comes out of the bathroom dressed in a different shirt than what he saw him put on an hour ago. "I'm so nervous I can't stop sweating." As he says that he grabs a tissue from the dresser and dabs his forehead.

Yunho understands how he's feeling but one of them has to be strong here. "It'll be alright. Everyone's going to be happy about this." Yunho walks over and pulls him in a hug, one that makes Jaejoong feel like he’ll be alright.

"You sure? Will they like Minnie?"

"If they don’t, would it change anything between us and Changmin?" Jaejoong shakes his against Yunho's shoulder. "Just as I thought."

"What about your father?"

Yunho wishes he could assure Jaejoong but he's not sure himself. Yunho's father took a while to come to terms with their relationship. Jaejoong's family has been accepting of his ual orientation ever since he came out to them when he was 20. But Yunho's family didn't know he was gay till Yunho told them he was dating Jaejoong. His mother and sister came around quickly but his dad was a whole other story.

Yunho's father had been quite cold during their struggle to have a child too. It was enough for Yunho to give up on his father.

"It doesn't matter. Let's just get downstairs before our mothers come looking for us and ruin the surprise."

Changmin gurgles loudly then and the new parents take a few seconds to understand he's not demanding to be fed again. "Look at him all excited to meet the people he's eventually going to conquer."

"No, I think he can smell the barbecue and he's happy about food." But when Jaejoong picks him up Changmin squeals happily telling them he's just happy to be with his parents. Perhaps earlier he responded to Yunho's voice.

"Too bad your milk can't be barbecued." Yunho pecks that tiny pink cheek eliciting more happy sounds from the demon baby. Yunho has a eureka moment just then. "Smoked milk! You should totally make a dessert around that."

"We'll brainstorm a recipe some other day." Jaejoong needlessly adjusts Changmin's blanket, "Are the guys here too?"

"Hojun said it's not possible. L'attitude was booked for a high school reunion today." Yunho puts his arm around Jaejoong and leads the way. "We'll introduce them to Min when we get back to work. Right now, Let's get through one set of annoyances."

"Yunho that's our family."

"Exactly, annoying."

 ~~~

"Ajhussi porky~" Jaejoong's three-year-old nephew hands the small platter of grilled pork to Jung Taewoo. "Thank you kiddo." The boy grins before running back to the adults convening around the grill.

"Soju?" Kim Sangkyu offers Taewoo the second bottle as he takes a seat on the lawnchair beside Yunho's father. The two fathers are sitting in a quiet corner of the backyard beside the herb patch away from squealing kids and adults arguing about the right way to barbeque.

Taewoo takes a sip of the soju taking in the sight of the various Kim daughters with their spouses. The eldest Kim granddaughter, a 14-year-old, is minding her younger cousins before any of them stomp on the vegetables.

The Kims certainly are a lively bunch. That was his first impression of Kim Jaejoong when he started at Frasier. Kind, sweet, and exuberant. He momentarily forgot about those qualities when he found out his son is in love with him.

He came to terms with it eventually. After which he met Jaejoong's family and found they're pleasantly noisy and welcoming. Even if their sons aren't married on paper, the Kims have functionally treated the Jungs as in-laws. And while his wife and daughter are naturals, Taewoo tries to be as cordially warm to Jaejoong's family as well.

There are times when he feels conscious if he's coming across as a sourpuss unintentionally. Like just now he's belatedly regretting not thanking Sangkyu for the small gesture of offering him a drink.

"Do you not like it?" Taewoo is startled out of his thoughts when Sangkyu spoke. He obviously looks lost because Sangkyu continued, "the pork. If you don't like it, I'll tell Hyeri to start on the seafood."

"Oh..." Taewoo is internally sheepish but he'll not miss this opportunity of normalcy again, "oh, No need to trouble your daughter. I was just waiting for it to cool down a bit."

"If you say so." Sangkyu raises his bottle and clinks it with Taewoo's, "cheers." And he takes a gulp.

Again, Taewoo feels like a failure at natural social interactions. "I'm sorry."

"Huh?" Sangkyu is not sure he heard correctly but apparently, he heard Yunho's father apologise for something.

"I'm sorry I'm so awkward. I know I come across as standoffish but I'm really..

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter