First Child Syndrome

Stories of Baby Voldemin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dara is almost done cleaning her kitchen when Hojun peeks inside through the common kitchen door. "All done?" Dara nods, pulling out a piece of paper from her pocket, "Our inventory for tomorrow."

Taemin, a young pastry chef comes running out of the pantry with a large container looking all distressed. "Chef~ we have a problem~" he shows Dara and Hojun the contents of the open container. "The fridge is broken. The strawberries are spoiled."

"Are you sure the problem is with the fridge? I was in there a few minutes ago and everything else is fine in there." As Dara says that Hojun picks a strawberry and clicks his tongue. "The freezer is fine kid. The strawberries were rotting before you put them in there. Did you get anything usable today?"

"The ones on top were relatively nicer." Dara grimaced when she figured it out too, albeit belatedly. "I've noticed the quality of the produce is declining since the supplier found out Yunho is not around to nit-pick. Looks like he's not as sincere as his parents."

"I'll talk to Yunho about changing the supplier. In the meantime, let's redo the inventory to see if he gave us any more rotten produce. I know a wholesaler who can manage at least some of the supplies on a short notice."

Dara and Taemin take Hojun's advice and set about their work. Hojun returns to the restaurant kitchen to finish cleaning up his station. "Haeri, please check if any of the produce is going bad and let me know what we need." The chef does as Hojun says running to the pantry.

Hojun glances at the dining room briefly. Most patrons have left or are leaving after their dinners. A few are still savouring the last of the wine they ordered languidly. Sure that they won't receive any more orders tonight, the substitute head chef sets about organizing his station after an uneventful service. He obviously jinxed himself because the maître d’ barges in to personally hand a docket.

"Hankyung, service is closed." Hojun drawls, ready to go out and tell this very late diner the same.

"You're going to want to take this one." Hankyung grins cheekily before shoving the paper against a reluctant Hojun's chest. Hojun reads the paper and frowns. "This looks like the specifics for a baby's milk." Hankyung gestures for him to read it till the end. And he does. "... One loser pie...Sunufuh!" Only two people know the loser pie inside joke and one of them is Hojun himself.

Knowing who is behind the silly order Hojun stomps out to the dining area with Hankyung in tow. Hankyung tells him to head to the private section to the left side of the restaurant. It's empty tonight but the first room is open as Hojun expected.

"Yah I told a few days off. Not half a mon-" Hojun chokes mid rant as soon as he sees what's waiting in the room. Yunho and Jaejoong are there as he expected. The third person though, not very expected.

How often do you go into a restaurant's private room to see your friends you haven't heard from in a fortnight and end up face to face with a baby in a stroller? It's a real baby, Hojun concludes by the way it is drooling over its own fist. Question is what does he make of this very real baby.

"Tha-that-that?" Hojun has next to no control on his voice or the trembling of his hand that is pointing at the baby. Yunho, who is casually seated behind the stroller nods while Jaejoong is beaming beside Yunho.

"I'm going to call the others." Hankyung coolly announces before shoving Hojun inside the room.

~~~
"I can't believe baby has a chef~" Taemin slurs drunkenly over the table. "If he sleeps here he still has to be at work on time." Dara manages to say in between her own drunken haze. Yoo Sikyung is already at his limit, rolling off the chair and falling over Taemin.

They're all in different stages of intoxication around the private room after they broke out the celebratory alcohol. All except Yunho and Jaejoong. The wait staff has gone home though Hankyung stayed behind. The cooks are letting out some steam knowing they'd be back to work in a few hours. Though for a few it's closer to their limit.

"I need to head home..." Haeri says between a yawn "have to f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter