Low-Key Like You

Fancy You?

 

Joohyun was in the middle of cooking when the thought coming back bothering her again, ‘Are you trying to flirt with me, Mrs. Somebody?’ Feeling frustrated, Joohyun screams her lungs out while preparing for the dinner.

“I don’t think I can handle her anymore. She was, she was too much! You don’t know how much I try to ignore her. And now, she said I was flirting with her! All I said was she is special and does it even call flirting? What is wrong with her? She is the worst clients I ever had and of course, worst in different way”

“Then, why don’t you stop seeing her?” a short girl commented causing Joohyun to startle. The short girl presence surprised her because she was alone just now. Taking a deep breath while holding her chest, she turns around to face the short girl who was peeling the banana and then eat it without feeling any guilty.

“Yeri, can you greet your mum once you're back home?”

“I already did”

“You surprise me”

“Did I? Then, sorry, mommy”

Joohyun just shook her head and continue preparing a dinner for them.

“Mum?” Yeri called, still munching the banana while scrolling her phone.

“Mhm?”

“Are you dating someone?” it almost makes Joohyun heart jumps out once again surprised by the sudden question from her daughter.

“What made you think so?”

“Two weeks ago, Seulgi saw you with someone in the café. She said you keep meeting the same girl and she always came to your office afterward. Is that true?”

Instead of feeling guilty of getting caught, Joohyun let out a small laugh, “Of course not. She is my client and also a student in my college” Yeri nod as respond.

“Oh, never thought you and your client being so romantic toward each other” Yeri comment, smirking at her mother who look dumbfounded right now.

“Yeri, what did Seulgi told you?”

“And did you ask her to stalk me?” Joohyun questioned

“Well, she told me a lot of things and I don’t think she was stalking you. She just happens to be nearby the café you went in with her”

“Nearby? Even in my office?”

Her mother caught her and Yeri keep shut, didn’t dare to speak any words. suddenly feels dry as she feels someone is glaring at her. Joohyun on the other side, already had a knife on her hand, chopping nothing on the chopping board as she waits for her daughter to explain.

Yeri abruptly turn in another direction, grabbing something as if she was trying to stop someone from running while whispering to nobody which loud enough for her mother to hear, “You prick, don’t run away. Come back here!” Joohyun glance in Yeri’s direction and see no one was there. Instead of surprised at her daughter's behavior, she looks calm like she already gets used to it.

“Now, care to explain Yeri?” Joohyun ask in a calm manner.

-

“Mrs. Somebody?” Wendy asked

“What is it Wendy?”

“How active you’re in bed? I mean, how often you and your husband did it?”

Wendy’s question making the other girl choke and gasping for air, “I will take it as every night. How lovely” Wendy mutter giving the woman a glass of water and she quickly gulps down till it become empty.

“Wendy, can you stop invading my personal life? I don’t think my personal life is included in our counselling”

“Yes, it is”

“How?”

“Because I like you”

“It doesn’t matter, Wendy”

“I know you like me too. Denying your feeling isn’t healthy for your heart, Joohyun”

Joohyunn flustered, “I have a husband”

“Yeah, I know. It doesn’t mean you can’t fancy other person”

“Wendy”

“Just admit you like me too. It’s not that hard” Wendy growl in frustrated

Joohyun's voice suddenly turns stern, “Forcing someone to love you back isn’t healthy as well. I hope you keep it in mind, especially someone who is already married”

Wendy sighs in defeat, “Fine, you win this time”

 

-

 

It’s been 3 days since Wendy lasted saw Irene after the incident in her counsellor office. She didn’t mean to hurt her when she asked whether Irene was jealous or not and it turned out she did. Wendy kept on teasing her as they’re on their way back home until then she leave Wendy alone again.

“Irene? I know you’re here. Stop hiding! I need you” Wendy sigh, frustrated that her imaginary friend disappear again.

“Come back here please?” Wendy pleaded to no one.

“I love you, please don’t leave me” She was on the verge of crying when someone suddenly whisper behind her, “You just can’t live without me, aren’t you?”

“Irene! I’m sorry! I’m truly sorry. I don’t mean to hurt you.” Wendy apologize, hugging Irene, who was caught off guard by the sudden contact.

“You don’t have to. It’s not even your fault” Irene reply, comforting the tiny girl who was sobbing now.

“I love you, but, we both aware we can’t be together”

“So I had been thinking about this a lot, I want to help you to get her”

“WHAT?! NO! I KNOW I FANCY HER BUT SHE WAS MARRIED!”

“So, what is wrong with it?”

“What is wrong? Are you kidding me? Of course it was wrong! She already has somebody else!”

“She is married Irene. She is married!” Wendy said, frustrated with the Irene stupid idea.

“Then, let her cheat on her husband”

“WHAT? NO!”

“Aren’t married couple always do that behind their partner? So, why not?”

“Because it just feel so wrong!”

“Okay. So if I kill her husband, she will become single again, a widow exactly. Then, you can be with her right? ”

Wendy mouth wide open and eyes almost fall off socket after hearing the Irene crazy idea.

“Since when you become a murderer? I thought you were a good person”

“Since now. I don’t think it was a bad idea too. I can just kill him now if you want to. Don’t worry, nobody will know about it. I will make it look like a natural dead” Irene attempt to wink at Wendy but failed.

-

 

It was Saturday, Joohyun was waiting for Wendy to come to the café they always met for their counselling session. Since both of them are busy with their own stuff in the college, Joohyun offered to do the counselling after class and also on weekends. Wendy had been escaping their meeting for this week and also out of contact which make Joohyun somehow worry something might happen to the younger girl. She tries to call her, but no one answered her call.

“Is she going to ditch our meeting again?” Joohyun sigh as she massages her temple, thinking of a way on how to contact Wendy then, she got an idea. Scrolling her phone, she then dialed someone number who she trust can help her.

-

 

“You fully aware that you are officially escaping all your classes this week right? Congratulation! ” Joy insulted, clapping her hand as she mocked the other woman, meanwhile, Wendy just keeps silence.

“Now if you care a little bit about me, would you mind to tell me who are you grieving this time?” Joy asked as she settles down next to Wendy who has a blanket covering her whole body. Still no answer from the other woman, Joy sighed in defeat.

“Fine. If you don’t want to tell me then make sure you share it with your imaginary girlfriend. I’m going somewhere today. Please eat something. See you later babe” with that, Joy leaves their dorm.

-

“Mum, can Seulgi and I went to watch a movie with a friend tonight?” Yeri asked for permission. Joohyun seem like she didn’t aware that her daughter was there.

Sitting next to her mother, she called again “Mum?”

This time, she pokes her mother's cheek, which making the older woman flinch and back to reality.

“Oh, hi Yeri. What are you doing here?”

“Just chilling. For your information, I had been here sitting for past two hours and seem like you didn’t notice me until now” Yeri lied about being sitting there for two hours.

“I’m so sorry dear. It's just something to keep on bothering me” Joohyun said guilty in her tone as she was massaging her temple. Yeri glance at her mother before she holds her mother's hand.

“Mum, you can share it with me. I don’t mind to lend my ear to you, but please do not take a long time or I will get bored” Yeri pretend to roll her eyes in annoyance which make her mother laugh. A smile appears on Yeri lips as she watches her mother laugh. She just wanted to make her mother happy since she had no one else now beside Seulgi, her imaginary friend.

-

After Joohyun share her trouble with Yeri, Joohyun feel a little bit better. On the other side, her daughter gave her thought, “You’re definitely like her”

“What? No, of course not!”

“Mum, did you realize you keep repeating the same thing and keep telling me how much you worry about her for ditching the counselling while she was out there living her good life”

“Well, I was her counselor and of course I was worried about her for being absent”

“Are you worried or you just missed her?”

Joohyun silence

“Seulgi, don’t you think the same thing as well?”

“What she said?”

“She said” Yeri paused, glance at her mother who was eager waiting for the answer, “You low-key like Wendy”

“NO! It would never happen!” Joohyun disagree.

“Why not?”

“Because” Joohyun stop

“Because you’re married and had a daughter” Yeri continued, “Yeah, yeah whatever you say. You should stop lying about your status to your client or to ANY person WHO try TO FLIRT with you”

“I’m just trying to protect you, Yeri”

“Protect me from what? For people who keep calling me crazy?”

“Yes. You know Wendy had through it a lot and getting discriminate for being-”

Yeri groan, rolled her eyes while crossing her arms around her chest “There you go again, keep talking about Wendy and yet you said you don’t like her. Oh please, just accept your feeling that you actually LIKE HER” Yeri said in a mocking tone. This makes Joohyun speechless.

Yeri turn her attention to her mother, holding her mother's hand as she continues, “I’m really grateful that you’re my guardian after my father’s dead, but that doesn’t mean I am happy to see you being single till you growing your white hair. You deserve to be happy too.”

“Yeri”

“and, I don’t mind if you’re dating her. Besides, she will understand me, right? Because we’re special isn’t it what you always tell me? So get your off and tell her that you like her”

“Yeri, is this what Seulgi told you?”

“Wha-What? Of course not! It’s from me, myself!” Yeri eyes were shaking as she was getting caught by her mother.

Joohyun clear , straighten her posture as she speaks, “I would like to advise Seulgi to stop giving bad influence to my daughter. Can you help me pass the message?” she said in full authority tone

“Mum!”

-

Joohyun was in her room now and she still can’t stop thinking about the conversation she had with Jennie this morning. Even though she almost spilled everything to Yeri, she still feels bothered by it.Irene sighed, feeling tired, she gives herself a massage, “I wish I could protect you too Wendy”

 

(Flashback)

“Here's the file that you need” The young lady gave the file to the woman who was sitting comfortably on her chair.

“Thanks Jennie. I owe you a lot” She feel delighted after receiving the file. The file contained a profile of another young woman. As she was scanning through the profile, Jennie scoffed, attract the woman's attention. “Joohyun, why do you need her file?”

“Oh, she just happens to be one of my client”

“I see.” Jennie nod, still feeling curious, she asked again “She is one of the special case isn’t she?”

Joohyun nod, continue to scan the profile, she then spotted something, “So her parents was murdered when she was 5?”

“Yup. She was lucky to get off her house when the accident happened and the only one who was survived. A year after the accident happened, she was sent to the orphanage by her uncle when she was 6. Her uncle was scared to handle her alone because she was acting so weird since then. He also said, she always talks to herself all the time, laughing alone and sometimes, she took a knife and use it to cut herself. There is one time she was bleeding heavily back when she was in the orphanage and she was sent to hospital. After the incident, she received a treatment and also counselling by the psychiatrist. I think she was a lot of better afterward”

Joohyun nod in response, as she scans through the file, something attracts her, “At the age of 12, she was adopted despite knowing she had a mental illness?” Irene furrow her brow, wondering why they’re choosing her instead of any other normal kids there.

“Yeah, they think she needed a new home and family, she deserved rather than being discriminated by the other kids in the orphanage. Who even want to be friend with a psychotic?” Jennie said heartlessly.

“Is that what you think Jennie?” Joohyun mocked, she feels something boils inside her.

Jennie feels uneasy about it, so she explains “I don’t mean it that way. That’s what normal people think. Even in the campus, this rumor about her being a psycho had been spread like a wildfire for the past few months. They even saw her talking to herself in the library, café, or even in the class. She doesn’t even care about other students insulting and even called her crazy. Don’t you think she is a narcissist?”

Surprised by Jennie info, Joohyun feel empathy toward the younger girl. She couldn’t imagine how much she went through it alone when she was young and somehow, Joohyun feel grateful that she didn’t give up on her life either.

“No, she isn’t. She is different Jennie and that’s what make her special”

 

-

 

A/N: Hello~ it’s been a while since my last update! Hehe, sorry for the late xc

In this chapter, I try to focus on Joohyun feeling toward Wendy(I hope I did?). Although she haven’t discovered her true feeling yet, but everyone can see it right? She just doesn’t want to admit it haha

Also, for the next chapter, I will reveal a bit by bit about their imaginary friends and why are they more special than others. As Joohyun and Wendy relationship, I will try to grow it for next chapter and also something more interesting may happen next.  Once again, sorry for the late and stay tuned~