Familiar Stranger

Fancy You?

 

Its past 30 minutes since they came into the office. Wendy was having a staring contest with the new lecturer (which she doesn’t even fight back) Meanwhile, Joy was busy explaining Wendy’s condition from A to Z to their lecturer. There was silence after Joy finishes her explanation and waiting for her lecturer to respond.

“You’re pretty to be a lecturer. You should be a model or even an actress instead.” Wendy comment after 30 minutes of being quiet, checking the older woman from head to toe.

“Thanks for the compliment Wendy. I heard about it a lot.” Irene was pleased by her comment.

“But not too pretty like her.” Wendy added, disappointment can be seen through her face. Irene turn to face Wendy, confusion obviously written over her face.

“Who?”

“Her imaginary friend.” Joy interrupts, feeling uncomfortable because of the tension surround those women. Irene then turns to face Joy asking for further explanation, but before she could do that, someone already interrupt.

“You said your name is Bae Irene but here it’s obviously written as Bae Joohyun.” Wendy commented again, pointing at the nameplate.

Irene scoffs before she began to speak “I’m afraid you’re confusing Miss Wendy. Yes, my name is Bae Joohyun but people called me Irene.”

“So it’s your nickname?”

“You can say so”

“My friend's name also Irene. Irene Bae”

-

 

“Joy, don’t you think they are the same person?”

“Stop being delusional Wendy. Irene, your imaginary friend don’t even exist in the real world. She is just your IMAGINATION and not a REAL person”

“But they share a same surname!”

“I don’t think it was a coincidence” Wendy added, trying to solve the mystery by writing any theories she had in mind on a piece of paper.

“Wendy, I’m impressed on you. You really put a lot of effort than God itself, by creating your imaginary friend and even creating her surname! It's just WOW” Joy mocked and rolling her eyes.

“Her name is really Bae Irene tho”

Joy just shrugs it off and continue doing her assignment meanwhile Wendy was still trying to solve her own theories.

-

After the meeting with their lecturer a week ago, Wendy went back to her normal self, although there is still no sign of her imaginary friend. Putting a light make up on, wearing a plaid shirt that she always wore with tight jeans showing off her curves, she was ready to meet her, Bae Joohyun aka Irene. They’re going out on a date today (that is what she thinks)

“Glad you can move on without your imaginary friend this time”

“You really think so? She was in her human form now, which I actually grateful. At least, I won’t look like a crazy person talking to myself all the time.” Wendy smirk, giving a light punch on Joy shoulder.

Joy only rolls her eyes, feeling annoyance and couldn’t believe Wendy still with her stupid theory, even after the private counselling with their new lecturer was done.

“I know I had told you this hundredth time, but please stop mixing your imagination and reality or I’m going to call a psychiatrist this time.”

“Joy baby, I’m not crazy and thank you for being worried about me, but you don’t have to.” Kissing Joy on the cheek, she then waves goodbye before closing the door.

“A psycho always denied themselves and guess, it was true.”

-

 

“I shouldn’t order a coffee! Damn it, I’m having a palpitation now” Wendy cursed the coffee that she just drank but she actually just nervous. She breathes in and out trying to calm herself while waiting for her private counselor (her psychology teacher) to come and there she is, giving Wendy her warmest smile while waving her hand as a way of greeting the nervous girl. Wendy, on the other side was starstruck by Irene beauty to even react to her.

“I’m sorry for coming a bit late. I had to drop someone off before going here” Irene explain, sitting across Wendy.

“It’s okay. You don’t need to rush MISS Irene.” She emphasizes the word ‘miss’. Wendy leans against the table and whisper something like ‘I can wait for you forever if you want to’ in a y tone, winking her eyes while finger gun to the other girl as if she was shooting a gun of heart but Irene just pretend she didn’t see or hear it at all.

“Should we start with our session now?” Irene suggests, taking her notebook and pen, ready to listen and writing down Wendy problem.

Wendy fiddle with her fingers, biting her lower lip as she made up any kind of problem she had in her mind but someone sense her intention.

“Don’t even try to make up any problem that doesn’t even exist” Irene warned as if she was reading the other girl's mind.

Wendy gives a sly smile as she was getting caught, then suddenly, an idea comes up. She took Irene notebook, writing something on it and give it back to the owner. As Irene took her notebook and read it straight away, then she looks at Wendy straight in the eyes, brow raised, biting her lips as she was thinking for her best answer to the question.

15 minutes had passed and finally, Irene breaks the silence “Wendy, I have something to tell you”

Something ignites Wendy heart when Irene finally speaks up and the nervous feeling she had before was now turning into happiness, but what happen next, will break her heart.

Irene took a deep breath before she continues “First of all, I want to apologize that I’m hurting your feeling. Second, I’m not interested in women and third, I had a husband and a daughter”

“WHAT?! Aren’t you still single?”

“No, of course not. I am a married woman and happy with my marriage life”

“Irene, stop making a joke. This isn’t funny at all”

“I don’t think it was funny and I’m being serious”

“One more thing, when I said to drop off the formality, I don’t mean you to treat me like I’m your closest friend. You do understand by what I mean right?” Irene added

Wendy, who was still surprised by the sudden confession just nodding her head.

“Well then, let’s get started should we?”

-

 

Wendy regrets everything she had confessed to Irene through the paper and Irene’s answered, she never expected it. For Wendy, rejecting her straight away is fine because there was still a way to make Irene fall for her, but Irene already married to someone is really a DEAD END for her.

“Ugh, DAMN IT! DAMN IT!” Wendy scream, frustrated with the fact Irene was married.

“Whoa, what's with that face? You never look this grumpy before” The sudden voice caught Wendy off guard. She then turns around, hoping it was belong to the girl she misses a lot and she was right this time.

“IRENE! SERIOUSLY?! IS IT REALLY YOU?!” Wendy mouth gape open in disbelief while her mind was trying to refuse that she finally see Irene, her imaginary friend.

Irene looks around to confirm if there was no one else in the room and she hummed as a reply, taking an apple from Joy’s desk and have a bite on it while taking a seat on the chair.

Suddenly, tears building upon Wendy eyes, still can’t believe of what was happening right now. Feeling truly happy to see her Irene is back, she went to approach the other girl.

“What took you so long to come back to me?” She sobs, now she was seated on the floor, leaning her head on Irene’s thigh while sobbing like a little girl who just lost her candy.

“You didn’t call out for me. I thought you already forgot about me” Irene reply, chuckle at the fact Wendy didn’t change at all. After all, she still a crybaby and Irene was glad Wendy only acts up like this when she was with her.

“I never forget about you! I keep calling out for you thousand times and yet, you never came!” Wendy frown, disagree with Irene answered.

Then, you should try million times. Maybe, I will come straight away after you did” Irene teased.

“Never in a million ways I will do that” Wendy rolls her eyes, taking her pride up once again and acting tough this time.

“Really? I am probably mistaken a little chipmunk just bawling in front of me right now”

“Yes, you’re mistaken. You should go get a new glasses since you’re getting old and can’t see anything thoroughly”

Irene laugh, “Seriously, who hurt you?”

-

 

“So that was happening” Wendy finished her sentences as she explained about what was happening to her and how she meet someone who has a same name as her imaginary friend.

“You love her at first sight?”

“I, I thought she was you!”

“Why do you think so?”

“Because, because you and she both share a same name!” Wendy exclaimed, smile cheekily, hoping her friend would believe her.

Irene sits next to her, leaning close to Wendy till their nose touching each other, “Do you love me or her?”

 

 

A/N: Finally, Wendy's imaginary friend is back! keke xD