I'm Happy

Prologue

The sound of the birds and the smell of lavender surrounding the room wake Jisoo. She flutters her eyes trying to grasp her state. Her married state.

 

Jinyoung and Jisoo got to their room at almost 11 pm last night. The room was already occupied with her belongings, the hotel staff and Seulgi probably moved them as she entertained the guest during reception. There’s a big box on top of the coffee table in the living room with ‘Jisoo’ written on top of it.

 

“It’s a clean pajama,” Jinyoung settled himself on the couch. “My mom bought it. She wants to give you a surprise. But you don’t have to wear it.”

 

He smiled while saying that. Giving assurance.

 

Jisoo looked at Jinyoung who was now untying his tie with wonders. He looked fine just now, with no sign of tiredness. But it changed right after they're entering the room. His head seemed heavy, but he still smiled at her.

 

“It’s okay, I’ll wear it,” Jisoo smiled. “I’ll thank her later.”

 

Jisoo wasn’t sure how Jinyoung was feeling at that moment. She didn’t want to ask him things, but she didn’t like the silence either.

 

“Please use the shower Jisoo-ssi,” Jinyoung spoke again. “I’ll wash after you.”

 

There’s warmth in those words, Jisoo thought. Simple, yet warm.

 

Jisoo cleaned up quickly. Thankfully, her hair wasn’t set with too many products and her makeup was not too thick, she could wipe them easily. After a 40-minute shower, she's finally done and rushed to open her gift.

 

The box was in blue color, has beautiful gold printing, with a bow and a card with her name. She opened with a giddy feeling, wondering what kind of pajamas Jinyoung’s mother prepare for her. Jisoo opens the box carefully, takes off the bow first, and slowly raises the top. There were papers covering the clothes, she took them out gently, worried she would ruin the clothes.

 

After removing all the papers, Jisoo immediately checked the fabric. The fabric is soft, it’s silk, a high quality one. Jisoo recognized the brand, Lunya, it’s famous in the US.

 

Jisoo picked the pajamas out and tried them. 

 

It’s in a beautiful dark green, army-like color, without prints. The top is a simple short-sleeved shirt, not too big, not too small. The shorts cut just above Jisoo’s thigh. Jisoo likes it.

 

She liked it too much.

 

It’s the kind of sleepwear she would use, and it’s appropriate in front of Jinyoung. 

 

Jisoo came out of their bedroom a little before midnight, her hair was dry, and she just needed some midnight snacks before heading to bed.

 

“Jinyoung-ssi,” Jisoo calls from the living room. “I’m finished. Please take the shower.”

 

Jinyoung lifted up his head. He’s in the dining room, the room next to the living room.

 

His eyes were tired and Jisoo couldn’t help but notice. His hair was messy, he’s drinking a glass of water while scrolling through his tab.

 

“Oh,” Jinyoung answered. “Thanks.”

 

Jinyoung got up and finished his drink. He walked past Jisoo and stops just a foot away from her.

 

“I brew some water, there’s tea if you like.”

 

Jisoo can still taste the warmth of the tea from last night. It’s chamomile, from a special brand. Jisoo wonders if Jinyoung brings them himself since the hotel provides different teas. Everything feels unreal. Sharing tea, sharing a bed, and sharing a room with Jinyoung feels unreal. Yet it’s only the beginning.

 

And last night is the first time for Jisoo to feel less suffocated, and less nervous around Jinyoung. Jinyoung didn’t mention anything about the wedding. It feels like they have known each other for a long time, the night feels warm and she feels safe around him.

 

Jinyoung and Jisoo have agreed to a lot of marriage conditions. One of them is to share a bedroom for the rest of the contract year as husband and wife. However, in the contract, there are no statements about sleeping arrangements. It’s Jisoo’s request for them to sleep together in one room. Jinyoung wasn’t happy with that suggestion, Jisoo can tell, but he eventually said okay. It’s a king-size bed, after all, is too big already. 

 

Jinyoung has arranged his apartment for Jisoo to move in. Initially, Jinyoung wants Jisoo to sleep in the room on the lower floor. Jinyoung would renovate it the way Jisoo likes it, but Jisoo finds it ridiculous. She thinks it’s unnecessary for them to have separate rooms. She’s also afraid that one of their parents would come unannounced and find out about that arrangement.

 

And that’s how they settle for their married life.

 

This morning, Jisoo wakes up realizing Jinyoung isn’t in the room. 

 

The bedroom door is open, but there are no sounds coming from the outside. Jisoo looks around as she stretches her body, she must have overslept, it’s bright outside. It’s no wonder since she hasn’t properly slept since two days ago.

 

Jisoo climbs down the bed and roams the rooms. The living room is empty, and so does the dining room. The kitchen is also empty.

 

There’s a basket of fruits on the dining table. It’s the hotel’s complimentary.

 

Jisoo picks a beautiful pink peach, with the perfect size for one serving. Jisoo hums as she cuts, not noticing the door is open.

 

“You’re awake,” it’s Jinyoung. 

 

She’s almost done with the peaches when a hand picks one of the slices.

 

Jisoo looks up to see him munching one slice of peach she cuts. The sight surprised Jisoo too much.

 

“That’s mine,” Jisoo pouts. “I cut them.”

 

Jisoo doesn’t realize she’s doing aegyo just now. She’s caught off guard by her behavior not realizing it shocks Jinyoung as well.

 

“I’m sorry,” Jinyoung gulps quickly. “I didn’t mean-“

 

His words cut with a cough. He must have swallowed too quickly, Jisoo thinks.

 

It’s cute.

 

“I didn’t mean to eat it without your consent,” Jinyoung continues. “I’m sorry.”

 

Jisoo can see his expression change. He averts his eyes and backs away to the living room, showing his awkward stance. Jisoo doesn’t like that, she was joking, if Jinyoung failed to see it.

 

“No, Jinyoung-ssi, it’s okay.” Jisoo walks her way to the living room. “I was surprised, I wasn’t mad. I was joking around.”

 

Jisoo locks eyes with Jinyoung. She’s holding a knife and a piece of peach in her hands, while Jinyoung standing in front of the couch not sure where to go.

 

“Hmppf,” Jinyoung chuckles. “I would believe that if you’re not holding a knife.”

 

“A!” Jisoo snaps. She indeed looks quite insane with a knife in her hand. “Sorry!”

 

Jisoo walks back to the dining room and gets rid of the knife. She arranges the peaches on a plate and brings them to the living room.

 

“Here, we can eat together,” Jisoo shoves the plate, grinning at him. Looking happy and excited.

 

For a moment, Jinyoung can feel the air changes between the two of them. He can feel Jisoo opens up to him, showing a side he had wished to see since a long time ago. Her hair is in a bun, her baby hairs are showing here and there. She’s what Jinyoung has always imagined, bubbly and carefree. The pajamas she’s wearing complement the shape of her body too much. Jinyoung wonders how her mom manages to like that.

 

It also bothers Jinyoung how comfortable the both of them can be last night as if they’ve been the way they are for a long time. 

 

The shower felt nice after a long day, and the burdens and nervousness lifted with just a simple touch of warm water. And the sight of Jisoo actually calmed him.

 

Jinyoung keeps replaying what she said to his grandfather a few days ago. And keep thinking about everything that happened for the past 24 hours.

 

“I fell in love with your grandson without expecting anything from your family. He was kind, thoughtful, and has always been honest with me"

 

He shouldn't have felt happy from her words. They were there to do a charade, her words are scripted.

 

But she improvised and it caught him off guard, Jinyoung defends himself.

 

He also doesn’t believe Jisoo’s reason for coming early for the wedding was her dress. But she looks like she wasn’t bothered with it, so he’s trying to forget it.

 

He was trying to reason with himself: everything is a charade, her words and actions are business to her, and he shouldn't feel happy about it.

 

But he was. He is. Even last night. Her tiny action tickles his sanity.

 

Jinyoung walked out of the shower just after 1 am. Everything is quiet and late. But there he saw Jisoo on their bed with a book, immersed in her world, probably didn’t see him there. She’s reading the latest Kim Hyejin’s book, already more than halfway, with eyes filled with curiosity. Jinyoung chuckles, thinking about the same book he has bought but not yet touched.

 

“Jisoo-ssi, aren’t you sleepy?” Jinyoung asked with his most gentle voice, low enough just for Jisoo to hear it.

 

Her eyes stopped moving, her parted lips shut, and the book was closed.

 

“I’m done,” she turned to Jinyoung, smiling. “You’re going to sleep?”

 

Jisoo placed her book on the side table and moved around to rest her head on her pillow.

 

“Yes, I will join you.”

 

“Okay,” she smiled, faintly. “Sleep well, Jinyoung-ssi.”

 

And the night ends; their first night as husband and wife.

 

Jinyoung is amazed at how chill Jisoo has been through this charade. She shows her worries, her concern about the marriage arrangement, but not being dramatic about it. She asked him from time to time, and he would answer from time to time, and she would not mention them again. She also doesn’t demand anything from him – not that she needs it since she has enough money – but there’s a part of him who wanted Jisoo to burden him a little more. A burden like wanting stuff from him or asking him to not do some stuff. This charade is a good enough reason for her to complicate his life if she wants to.

 

But never once Jisoo demands anything from him.

 

At least not until today.

 

“Are you sure I can take one?” Jinyoung replies, still amused.

 

“Yes!” Jisoo shoves the plate even closer.

 

“Well, I’ll take one after you,” Jinyoung reaches for the plate and takes it from Jisoo’s hand. He shoves the plate back to her, demanding she takes a peach before him.

 

Jisoo looks back at Jinyoung with wonder. It’s still a surreal experience for the both of them to share mornings and nights together.

 

“Okay, I’ll take one,” Jisoo takes a cut from the plate and bites it right away. She smiles.

 

Jinyoung feels giddy seeing how happy Jisoo is with the fruit. Probably the happiest he has ever seen of her during their ‘engagement’ period.

 


 

Jinyoung and Jisoo check out around 2 pm after saying goodbye to their parents who are spending another few days in the hotel. 

 

“Jisoo-ssi, is our apartment’s setup good enough for you?” Jinyoung asks just after they exit the hotel. “I saw the photos, but I can’t really tell if you like it or not.”

 

Their apartment has been redecorated to add new storage for Jisoo’s clothes and a dedicated space for Jisoo’s beauty collection.

 

Jisoo gave out a detailed note about her stuff and a sketch of the layout she needed, and that helps a lot. Jinyoung doesn’t do much for their bathroom since it was designed for a couple in the first place. Separate toilet, 2 sinks, a bath, one shower room, and plenty of space to put additional bathroom supplies for the two of them.

 

“It looks wonderful, Jinyoung-ssi,” Jisoo replies. “I can rearrange my clothes if needed. But for now, I’m happy about it.”

 

“Really?”

 

Jisoo senses a different air, it’s a simple question, but somehow Jisoo feels something different is surrounding them.

 

“Yes,” Jisoo replies. 

 

She was confused when Seulgi asked this a couple of nights ago. But this time she is confident about it.

 

“I’m happy.”

 

 


 

Another update! 

We're entering a new chapter (finally!!).

 

I hope everyone is well and happy.

See you soon for another update!