Thinking About You

Prologue

The flowers are set. The wooden backdrop looks warmer under the sunlight. The guests have not arrived, but Jinyoung can hear chats coming from the hallway in his room.

 

“She’s fine. It was some wardrobe malfunction. She just needs to adjust a few things.”

 

After having small chats with Seulgi, Wonpil has returned to Jinyoung’s wing and continuing to eat some desserts. Wonpil makes sure to deliver Seulgi’s words as precisely as he can. He doesn’t want Jinyoung to think about an unnecessary burden that basically isn’t there since the beginning.

 

“But, you didn’t see her, right?” Jinyoung exclaims back.

 

Wonpil chuckles at Jinyoung’s question.

 

“What’s wrong with you? It’s not like you to be this nervous,” Wonpil smiles a bit at his best friend. “I didn’t see her, yes, but they say she’s okay.

 

“You’ve been like this since meeting Grandfather. Worried over nothing. Did something happen at his house?”

 

Did something happen at Grandfather’s house? Jinyoung asks himself.

 

Grandfather has been busy the whole month, so Jinyoung has to postpone their meeting until the last minute. Fortunately, Grandfather agreed to meet before the wedding, a few days before the rehearsal. But of course, everyone can’t know about it- Jisoo and Jinyoung can’t let anyone know that he’s this late at meeting Grandfather even though Grandfather is the most important person in this scheme.

 

Grandfather doesn’t know anything about the agreement Jisoo had with Jinyoung. Jinyoung called his assistant right after Jisoo’s visit to his office to ask him for a meeting. He explained that he’s planning a wedding in less than a month, and wants a blessing from his Grandfather. His assistant promised to find some times, but it wasn’t easy. Jinyoung wrote a long email to his assistant explaining the story of how he met Jisoo until he proposed to her. He made sure that the story isn’t too out of this world and of course creating fewer lies.

 

His assistant confirmed after 3 days that Grandfather would be free on the 13th of Julne, exactly 4 days before the marriage. Jinyoung was nervous. It’s too close to the wedding and he didn’t want to face the consequences of being rejected by his grandfather. He appealed again to his assistant to get a better date, but he still didn’t get what he wants.

 

Behind the hectic schedule, Jinyoung’s grandfather has familiarized himself with Jisoo’s profile. He knows about Jisoo’s history and what-about already. Kim family is a close acquaintance of the Parks ever since he was young. Park Kyung Il knows Jisoo’s grandfather, Kim Min Gi, since the early 70s. They met several times because of work. At that time, there aren’t many business people in the country; and it’s definitely rude to not know about each other.

 

Park Kyung Il had several good meetings with Kim Min Gi to talk about business and finance in the 70s. Kim Min Gi is definitely a veteran in his field at that time because his family has established their name way before his. It’s a wonderful encounter. He was starting his business, and having someone who has a long background in finance shared lunch with him, gives many insights into his business. Unfortunately, as business gets busier, they don’t get many chances to meet up again. The only time they can meet is at those big corporate gala or some important weddings.

 

Jinyoung’s grandfather didn’t tell Jinyoung that he knows about Jisoo, but he’s sure that his grandson probably already has a guess about the connection between the Parks and the Kims. It’s going to be an easy meeting.

 

After receiving the second confirmation, Jinyoung informed Jisoo about the meeting and forwarded the email he has sent to his grandfather’s assistant. They confirmed a few things to make sure that both of their stories are in line, afterwards they just need to wait until the meeting date.

 

4 days before the wedding

 

They arrived 20 minutes before the initial meeting time, a good waiting time to adjust a lot of things. Since they’ve both been busy, they meet at Grandfather’s separately, which was a good relief for Jisoo, because she’s been very worried about this meeting in particular.

 

The assistant escorted Jisoo to a living room on the right side from the front door. Jisoo immediately caught Jinyoung on one of the couches. He was there alone with a tablet on his lap and of course, looking very nice.

 

The small breeze coming from the garden behind Jinyoung gave Jisoo chills. She’s going to lie again. She’s going to lie to someone she barely knows.

 

“Good afternoon, Jisoo-ssi.”

 

Jinyoung greeted Jisoo as soon he noticed her presence. Jisoo was always pleasing to see. Jinyoung knows she is a fashion designer, but he never expected her to be this great at presenting herself.

 

There’s something about the way Jisoo presents herself that intrigued Jinyoung. Sometimes it’s the way she let her hair falls, sometimes it’s about how casual her dresses are, and sometimes it’s the color of her clothes that matches her shirt.

 

Jinyoung believed that he got aware of Jisoo’s clothes because he knows beforehand that she’s a popular designer. Maybe he had expectations and wanting to find flaws behind it. But lately, Jinyoung found himself looking at her more than thinking about it. It’s not every day he met women in private, so maybe that makes him a little sensitive towards Jisoo in particular.

 

They sat side by side on the couch. Even though there’s nothing to talk about, they still need to maintain the charade even in an empty room.

 

“Jinyoung-ssi, you can enter his room now.”

 

After 20 minutes, Grandfather’s assistant met them again to let them enter the study room.

 

Jisoo clears before standing upright to meet Jinyoung’s elbow. They have to look good. They have to look believable. They have to look in love.

 

Grandfather’s study room is actually a suite with two rooms inside, one office space, a living room, kitchen, and two bathrooms. Technically, it’s a house inside a house. Grandfather is inside the office, on the left side of the wing.

 

Jisoo heart pounds so hard as she walks side by side with Jinyoung. What if Grandfather finds out about their plan? What if he won’t believe Jinyoung?

 

What if?

 

Jinyoung’s Grandfather is alone in his office space. He’s sitting with a book on a coach looking peaceful. He looks old, but not bad. He looks sharp for his age. Can’t really believe someone like him asked his grandson to marry someone in a month's time.

 

“We’re here, Grandfather,” Jinyoung speaks as he steps into the office room.

 

Jinyoung’s Grandfather stops his eyes, aware that his grandson was there with the wife-to-be. Before he even says anything, Jinyoung walks further to the middle of the room to greet him.

 

“Thank you for your time, Harabeoji,” Jinyoung bowed down a little. “This is Kim Jisoo, the daughter of Kim Myung Soo. I proposed to her around 3 weeks ago and she said yes.”

 

Within milliseconds, Jisoo saw something she didn’t expect. He smiled. Harabeoji smiled.

 

Jisoo was caught off guard until she realized she needed to introduce herself.

 

“Good afternoon Chairman Park. My name is Kim Jisoo. It’s an honor to meet you.”

 

Jisoo bowed deep in front of Grandfather’s couch. She’s just hoping the smile just now wasn’t a sign of a bad thing.

 

“Good evening Jinyoung, Ms. Jisoo,” that’s Grandfather’s voice. “Please have a seat.”

 

Jinyoung held Jisoo hand and led her to the couch on the right side of Grandfather’s seat.

 

From up close, Jisoo clearly saw the features from Grandfather that resemble Jinyoung. They both have the same nose and eyes. He must be a charmer when he was young, Jisoo thought to herself.

 

“Please receive my apology for delaying this meeting, Ms. Jisoo. I’ve been very busy.”

 

Jinyoung could swear upon his whole life, that that was the first time he heard his grandfather apologize to someone. And he could tell Jisoo was shocked to hear that.

 

“I know your grandfather, Ms. Jisoo,” he continued. “We met occasionally when we’re still young. When I only started this company. He was a great colleague. Tho, after a few years, we’ve become too busy, we couldn’t meet in private again.

 

“The last time I saw him was almost 20 years ago in an annual gala with the government.”

 

Grandfather smiled again.

 

“I can’t believe my son and my grandson have a stronger connection with your family than me, Ms. Jisoo.”

 

There’s a suffocating feeling in the air that Jisoo couldn’t really explain. The words Grandfather thrown at her. It’s as if he’s judging her family background even though he made it like he’s happy about it.

 

“Jisoo and I met because of father, Harabeoji,” Jinyoung stepped in. “But, that wasn’t the reason why I wanted to marry her.”

 

Again, Grandfather smiled. Smiled at Jisoo.

 

“Well then, Ms. Jisoo. If marrying Jinyoung has nothing to do with the relationship you have with my family, what exactly do you want from my family?”

 

She was right. That wasn’t a smile. It’s a statement of power.

 

Jinyoung can tell that Jisoo wasn’t comfortable in her seat. She didn’t have to answer that- his grandfather was being rude to her.

 

But, as Jinyoung was about to open his mouth, Jisoo spoke.

 

“Jinyoungie, Chairman Park.

 

“What I want from your family is Park Jinyoung.”

 

Her voice was clear. Her eyes were looking straight at his grandfather.

 

“I fell in love with your grandson without expecting anything from your family. He was kind, thoughtful, and has always been honest with me.

 

“I have my own company and I’m working closely with my partners and staff. I’m happy with my life, I need nothing except your grandson from you.”

 

Jisoo inhaled, “It would mean a lot if you can give your blessing to this decision we’ve both agreed on.”

 

For Jinyoung, Jisoo’s involvement in this marriage should be as far as saying yes to his proposal and attending events they have agreed on. Other than that, he had made it clear in the contract it would be his problem.

 

What happened in Grandfather’s house wasn’t what Jinyoung prepared. He didn’t expect his grandfather to be that cynical. Especially to Jisoo personally.

 

He chose Jisoo knowing she’s from a wealthy family – one his family can’t argue about. He had made sure that Jisoo understands that condition and will trust him for any issues that will occur. However, seeing what happened, Jinyoung is now worried for her. He needs to protect her. From the society who is pushing a standard she has surpassed.

 


After 1,5 half years, I'm back!

 

Thank you so much for everyone who leaves comments and for supporting me.

 

It's been a very hard time for many people, I hope everyone is hanging there and will always be protected.

 

I will finish this story eventually. In the meantime, enjoy!