Maybe I Choose You

Prologue

The wedding venue is packed. People Jinyoung rarely sees are all here. People he never sees are also here. These people are his father’s business partner, acquaintances, maybe even rivals. They sit at the groom’s side of the hall, giving him a slight pain in his stomach.

In about 2 hours, he needs to greet them, politely exchange stories with them, and the worst of them all, introduce them to his new wife. He’s been putting so much pressure on her by meeting his grandfather, he doesn't feel like bringing more arrogant old men into her life.

“It’s in the job description”, Jinyoung can hear Jisoo’s voice in his head. Yes, it’s in the agreement. Yes, he had asked permission to introduce her to his father’s business partner. Basically, he doesn’t need to feel bad. But he’s feeling wary.

Wonpil is right, this isn’t his character. He shouldn’t be too conscious about this. He rarely gets nervous in the first place, why now?

“See you later,” Wonpil taps Jinyoung. “I’ll be waiting for the tears.”

Wonpil giggles again. And leaves.

Everyone is ready, he is supposed to be ready as well. He can see Jisoo’s parents in the front row. His mother sits with Jisoo’s mother, leaving the rest of the Park family on their side.

At least her mother has someone to hold on to at this time, Jinyoung thinks.

They’re having the wedding ceremony in the garden beside the pool. It’s a little hot, but the breeze helps soften the atmosphere. Some flowers are still in bloom. You can see them in the garden in the corner. The corner of the building where Jisoo’s room is located.

She will come from the arch hallway from the west. And walks through the garden to meet Jinyoung at the stone-paved plaza. She won’t be coming from the back of the audience and walking in the center of the long seating; he felt it won’t be right for her since she will have too much attention for a wedding that isn’t really a wedding. He told the wedding planner. She agreed to it, unaware that it was Jinyoung's idea, not the wedding planner.

Any minute and she will really come from there and he doesn’t have an option unless to be ready.


“You look beautiful, so beautiful,” it’s Seulgi and she’s preparing Jisoo’s veil.

“I’ll be right next to you, just give me the flower before you get on to the altar.”

Seulgi hugs Jisoo for the last time.

“Is the venue beautiful, Sseul?” Jisoo asks, sounding worried.

“It’s beautiful,” Seulgi smiles. “You’ll love it.”

Jisoo looks at Seulgi’s back which disappears in the corner. She is now standing with the event manager alone, waiting to give her the cue before entering the venue.

The music starts, the chats stop. It’s starting.

Jisoo walks on beat with the music on the white marble floor that guides her to the garden. The sun is already low on the horizon. It’s 4 in the evening, and the wind gets colder as she steps out of the hallway.

Hundreds of people sit in the middle of the garden. They’re not too far from the walkway, but they seem distant in her eyes. The veil blurs some of the pretty flowers. She can’t really see the scenery, but the man she’s going to marry looks clear in front of her.

She smiles a little, trying to suppress her conflicted feeling. She wants to cry, but at the same time, she doesn’t think crying for a fake wedding Is right. Every step she takes gets her a little closer to the center of attention. She is silently happy that the wedding planner recommended this entrance to her. It’s not a traditional custom for the bride to be walking in a pathway that isn’t in the middle of the guests, but it feels right to just walk by yourself without knowing how the people react to this ceremony. A ceremony that’s nothing but a charade.

Seulgi stands right beside the altar. When Jisoo reaches her, she passes her bouquet to greet her parents first. A short hug and kisses from both. She also got a kiss on the forehead from Jinyoung’s mother. She’s a little confused about why she was sitting on the bride’s side, but this isn’t the time to think about that she mentally tells herself.

After exchanging the last words with her parent, she heads to the podium where Jinyoung already had his hand towards her.

This is the first time I’m holding his hand.

Jisoo steps carefully to the podium while holding on to Jinyoung’s palm. He touches gently, Jisoo thinks. But at the same time, she has to admit, she rarely holds any man's palms.

Slowly but with sure steps, Jinyoung guides Jisoo to the center of the altar. The marriage officiant is there, smiling so bright at them. He’s the same age as them, very bright, and super excited for their marriage. Somehow, Jinyoung knows him.

“Dearly beloved and honored guests”, it’s starting.

“We are gathered together here to join Park Jinyoung-nim and Kim Jisoo-nim in the union of marriage.

“This contract is not to be entered into lightly, but thoughtfully and seriously, and with a deep realization of its obligations and responsibilities.”

That’s harsh. Jisoo thought. If only everyone knew.

Jinyoung and Jisoo asked the marriage officiant not to ask for personal vows. They asked him to go straight to the main ceremony. Which obviously, makes everything a little rush than it is supposed to.

“And now,

“Park Jinyoung-nim, do you take Kim Jisoo-nim to be your wife?”

Jinyoung’s hands don’t move at all on Jisoo’s hands.

“Do you promise to love, honor, cherish, and protect her, forsaking all others, and holding only unto her forevermore?”

“I do.”

“And Kim Jisoo-nim, do you take Park Jinyoung-nim to be your husband?

“Do you promise to love, honor, cherish, and protect him, forsaking all others, and holding only unto him forevermore?”

I’m sorry Mom, Dad.

“I do.”

“Park Jinyoung-nim and Kim Jisoo-nim will now exchange rings as a symbol of love and commitment to each other. They mark the beginning of your long journey together. Your wedding ring is a circle—a symbol of love never-ending. It is the seal of the vows you have just taken to love each other without end.”

Wonpil steps onto the altar and stands beside the officiant.

“Park Jinyoung-nim, please place the ring on Kim Jisoo-nim’s left hand and repeat after me:

“As a sign of my love

"That I have chosen you

"Above all else

"With this ring, I thee wed.”

Jinyoung repeats the same sentence and puts the ring on Jisoo’s finger.

The officiant repeats the same sentences to Jisoo, and Jisoo willingly repeats.

“To make your relationship work, it will take love. Continue to date each other. Take time to show each other that your love and marriage grows stronger with time.”

The words this time hit Jinyoung. The contract he wrote feels as if a poison in this relationship.

“It will take trust to know that in your hearts, you truly want what is best for each other.”

I’m sorry, Jisoo-ssi.

“It will take dedication to stay open to one another—and to learn and grow together. It will take loyalty to go forward together, without knowing exactly what the future brings. And it will take commitment to hold true to the journey you have both pledged today.”

The officiant smiles at both of them. He looks very calm, not knowing the lies the both of them hold.

“And now by the power vested in me, it is my honor and delight to declare you married. Go forth and live each day to the fullest.”

The audience cheers. It’s not too loud, but it’s also not too quiet. The old men in the audience clap with no expression. While the wives are giving some judgmental look while clapping. Jisoo can see her parents in tears, while her mom hugs Jinyoung’s mom.

Why is she sitting at the bride’s side again?

Jisoo looks at Jinyoung now, knowing well it’s the time for their kiss.

They talked about this before meeting the officiant.

 

“Jisoo-ssi, I apologize for bringing this up this early, but we have to agree on this before meeting the officiant,” Jinyoung suddenly breaks their silence in the car.

“About the ceremony,” Jinyong continues, “will it be okay if we don’t kiss after the ceremony? I want to hear your thoughts about this.”

They’re on their way to a church just outside Seoul, meeting this young pastor Jinyoung recommends.

“Will it be weird?” Jisoo asks back. She doesn’t expect Jinyoung to be against the idea of kissing her. Is she not worth it?

“One day you might get married to someone you truly love, I don’t want to be the one to ruin that moment for you,” Jinyoung replies still focusing on the road.

Jinyoung’s words pierce through her. He’s unreadable and Jisoo wants to be able to change that.

“What about a kiss on the forehead?”

Jisoo knows how kisses in wedding ceremonies are somewhat the highlight for the guests. She’s agreed to ditch the kissing on the lips idea, but she’s not ready to be the talk of the town (or nation in this case) because of this fake event. A kiss on the forehead maybe will solve it.

And no, it’s not as if she wants to be kissed.

“Will it be okay? I don’t think public display of affection is necessary, Jisoo-ssi.”

Jisoo rethinks her decision. She replies to Jinyoung’s statement firmer this time.

“It’s okay. I don’t want to be a laughing stock.”

 

Her veil is lifted slowly, the afternoon breeze gently touches her cheeks.

Jinyoung is looking even better without her veil blocking her view. His hair is pulled back, his tie is dark blue, he smiles at her.

Back when they met the officiant, Jisoo hadn’t fully understood her feeling. Today, in front of about 200 people, Jisoo blames herself for liking him. How to hide her feeling now she’s boring a crush on him.

Jisoo can see Jinyoung breathing heavily. He closes the gap between them and whispers;

“If you allow me.”

Jisoo nods, slowly closing her eyes.

Within a second, she can feel the warm press from Jinyoung’s lips. The kiss she wished was meant from his heart.