Business

Prologue

The dinner happened on Wednesday, Seulgi happened on Thursday, today is Friday, and Jisoo is now in front of Jinyoung’s office.

 

Jisoo has read the whole document that Jinyoung sent to her the following morning after that dinner. It wasn’t in great detail but it has every part of what Jisoo is concerned about. Those include Jisoo’s right on working in her company, physical contact, personal time and possession, social status, and divorce’s term, all for her favor.

 

In many ways, the contract is harmless to Jisoo, in fact, Jinyoung doesn’t demand anything from her in the contract, just one tiny detail about her willingness to be his wife and to be present at the wedding. Other than that, nothing.

 

Jisoo is aware of the consequences of what this whole plan could bring, that if people find out about this scheme, she could ruin her family status and image. Not to mention the family’s company. She knows, but she chose to go.

 

For the sake of friendship and safety reason, Seulgi helped Jisoo making sure her decision won’t be as bad as it looks. She kept asking questions, giving scenarios and terms, and by the end of the day, the both of them agreed that they can run this plan without worrying about the bad consequences because they are prepared. But like any other plan, there is always one chance for it to go wrong and it bothers Seulgi. Seulgi doesn’t even know the reason of why Jisoo can easily say yes to this plan when it obviously easier for her to say ‘no’. She needed to mention the dry condition of Jisoo’s womanhood that night, in which Jisoo hated because both of them knew it still hasn’t been touched by anyone.

 

Is it really because she’s still a ?

 

Jisoo doesn’t feel the kind of need in that field ever since she understands the term, she is more than sure she isn’t that . She is the rare species of human people never know about. So, is it marrying Jinyoung the escape route of Jisoo’s ual need? The answer is no.

 

So after the long night, the endless hot milk, and two boxes of rice cereal, Jisoo settles down on one answer and nothing can stop her today. Well nothing, except the security guard in front of the office building.

 

“I have an appointment at the MeDemand office,” Jisoo smiles to the receptionist.

 

“May I have your Id, please,” the small lady, doing her job.

 

Jinyoung’s office is located about three towns away from Meidue. It’s in the office tower complex of Yeouido Business District, facing the Han River respectively. Jisoo managed to google about Jinyoung’s company, in which directed to their LinkedIn’s profile. It looks very legitimate and they have activities photos of the company in their page, the kind of which professional company has. He must be very smart to own a company this great at his age.

 

The atmosphere is different from Meidue, maybe because of the formal suit and the shiny high heels. Jisoo picked her formal dress that she hoped to suit the occasion and place, minus her nervousness, she should be confident enough to knock on the CEO door, hopefully.

 

Jinyoung’s office is located on the 24th floor, at the end of the hallway. His office turns out located on the 23rd and the 22nd floor as well – Jinyoung’s office and the developer team located on this floor. Jisoo walks beside a long room full of people working in front of their computers and Jinyoung’s office is at the end of it.

 

“Excuse me, I have a meeting with Park Jinyoung,” Jisoo smiles, appealing to the young lady at the front desk.

 

“Park Jinyoung-nim?” she asks.

 

So, here’s the thing, Jisoo hadn’t made an appointment, so “a meeting with Park Jinyoung” is all a lie. But Jisoo believes her guts that Jinyoung will accept her uninvited self to his humble office.

 

“Yes. Just tell him it’s Kim Jisoo,” Jisoo still appeals with a smile.

 

“I’m sorry Kim Jisoo-ssi, but Park Jinyoung-nim doesn’t have an appointment with you today.”

 

Please, just make this work.

 

“No, you won’t know about it,” Jisoo gets close to the desk. “Just tell him, it’s Kim Jisoo, he’ll understand.”

 

The look on the young lady’s face is mixed between confused and scared because she might know something she shouldn’t have. In her state, Jisoo could pass as the CEO’s business partner or a secret lover with his baby-like what they have in the afternoon soap opera.

 

“I understand, let me check first.”

 

The young lady, with an ID card named Han Seo Hee, left her station and enter another room on the left in a rush. Jisoo breathes heavily knowing her whole plan can actually go to waste if Jinyoung doesn’t want to meet her. Why is it so hard to call and make an appointment in the first place anyway?

 

“Miss Kim Jisoo,” Han Seo Hee is outside the door already. “I’m sorry for the delay, Park Jinyoung-nim has been waiting for you.”

 

The assurance from the young lady calms Jisoo and gets her back on her feet. This is a business occasion, being cool and confident will bring good in the process.

 

Entering the room which supposed to bring Jisoo to Jinyoung shakes her confident a little. Jinyoung has never shown an excited nor a nervous demeanor in front of Jisoo. Resulted to a slight skepticism on Jisoo’s part, he’s a person to believe but to distrust at the same time.

 

There is another door inside the room Jisoo enters – such an unnecessary obstacle. The first room is a meeting room, with a projector and a screen on the wall. Not long after, Han Seo Hee stops in front of the second door and bows to Jisoo, only opening the door.

 

Guess, I will be alone, then.

 

Ever wonder how the most wanted bachelor look like in his actual habitat? The media wasn’t lying when they write the exaggerated article last year – “He can pass as the next Gong Yoo in the business industry”.

 

When Jisoo met Jinyoung around nine years ago, he looked like a very normal college student with good shoes. His features were defined – he can thank his father for that, other than that, he simply a good looking boy like the rest of good looking boys in her class.

 

But, the Jinyoung Jisoo sees today shows more than just the good looking features, he looks very well – a well CEO.

 

“Can’t believe you will visit me yourself, Jisoo-ssi,” Jinyoung stands from his desk and walks towards Jisoo. “Let’s sit on the couch.”

 

Not even a smile.

 

The CEO room is unlikely small, smaller than hers in the office. One desk with a rolling chair on the right end, a sofa set on the other end. If Jisoo can guess, the room is not even 50sqm. But, Jisoo likes it.

 

There is a big acrylic board on the right side of Jinyoung’s desk and it has so much in there. From post its to doodles with bright color markers to papers paste on it. There is also a painting in white and grey behind Jinyoung’s desk— an abstract painting resembling a silhouette of a tree and a mountain but in a distort manner.

 

Everything is in white and light brown color tone – simplicity in a word. Unlike her over-the-place-studio, Jinyoung’s office is very neat and produces a calming ambiance— the perfect place when you want to find ideas. That includes the big window facing the Han River.

 

As much as the office intrigues Jisoo, the man standing in front of her impatient about his guest who hasn’t sit ever since he offers the seat. Jisoo reads the uneasiness.

 

“It’s about the contract,” Jisoo starts as she sits. “It’s a yes.”

 

Jisoo looks straight at Jinyoung and gives him a smile – a business-like smile.

 

“I’m here to tell you, I’m agreeing to the terms you gave me and saying yes to your proposal. I have your contract here with me, but I can’t find a place to sign it.”

 

Jisoo goes in one breath and pulls out the contract she mentioned. It is still intact, not a wrinkle to spot – she is too scared to ruin the document. She puts down the contract on the table and pushes it to Jinyoung.

 

“You have read everything?”

 

Jinyoung takes the 17-page-document with his right hand and opens the first page right away. He scans through all the pages, pauses in some pages, and finishes reading in less than two minutes.

 

“You agree to all of this?” Jinyoung asks determined. “You have no questions?”

 

Jinyoung is right to be suspicious, or so Jisoo thinks if the questions Jinyoung asked is a way to be suspicious.

 

“There’s nothing you would like to add?” Jinyoung adds while looking at the pages in a rush.

 

“Can you slow down?”

 

Nervous is an understatement, Jisoo is anxious. The whole scenery is blurred and foreign, and the man in front of her now is not even her colleague. She is letting herself to a trap she can’t let herself out.

 

“Of course there are things I would like to talk about,” Jisoo adds. “Can we talk about it slowly?”

 

It is the same awkward air Jisoo and Jinyoung experienced inside the car two years ago, a suffocating scene. Which finally come to their senses, realizing how bad they are communicating with each other.

 

“I’m sorry,” Jinyoung looks straight to Jisoo’s eyes. “Please, excuse my wrong behavior.”

 

The eyes never lie – Jinyoung’s eyes never lie to Jisoo, he’s sincerely sorry and Jisoo feels bad about it.

 

“Don’t apologize,” Jisoo smiles a bit. “It’s okay to be prejudiced about this.”

 

“I’m not being prejudiced,” Jinyoung cuts in. “I’m worried.

 

“I notice how you always averted my eyes and most probably feel uncomfortable with my presence. And I probably missed a lot of details on our last meeting.”

 

Jinyoung’s eyes softens, giving assurance to Jisoo.

 

“I wasn’t choosing you only because you’re unmarried and because we’re in the same social status class. I chose you because we’re alike,” Jinyoung pauses, “in many ways.

 

“We both take a detour, you with your own company, me with my own. You went abroad to study– I went abroad to study. We’re pretty much alike and I need someone like me to go with this plan.

 

“Though I know I’m betting for your cooperation, I am pessimistic about this. This mess is stupid and I don’t think you would say yes to this. Are you sure you’re going to be okay if you say yes to this?”

 

Jisoo had met arrogant people, mean people, cunning people, even manipulative people. They do things the way they want and crush people that gets in their way. Jisoo wants to believe that Jinyoung is one of them, the arrogant type. His calm demeanor, his deep voice, his unreadable eyes— clearly just a mask for him to get whatever he wants. But this time, Jisoo is wrong.

 

“My mother,” Jisoo speaks up, “is being degraded every time she goes to social events. She’s been labeled as a bad mother because of me who failed to get married before I turned 30. Sick, isn’t it?

 

“I’m not sure why I say yes to this mess either, Jinyoung-ssi. I’m shocked myself. A part of me believed, I said yes to this because I wanted to get out of the not-married-daughter condition I’ve been through. The rest of me just wanted to help you— I guess.”

 

Jisoo looks at Jinyoung unsure and embarrassed. Her reasons sound horrible but she continues.

 

“I have nothing against the contract, Jinyoung-ssi. It’s unexpectedly benefited me more than you. And I agree at the part where I can file a divorce anytime if you fail to meet the terms on the contract. So, I see nothing bad about saying yes to this. Saying yes for my necessities and yours.

 

“Are you doubting me?”

 

“On the contrary,” Jinyoung answers, “I believe you more than myself.”

 

Jinyoung’s words give chills on Jisoo’s half.

 

“I think we have made our decisions,” Jinyoung speaks again. “The contract is official and you can keep it. I don’t think it’s necessary for us to sign on it since I don’t want any evidence about this business we’re having. But you can trust me.

 

“Do you trust me?”

 

A hard question.

 

Jisoo looks back at the contract on the table and the relax hand of Park Jinyoung that hasn’t left the armchair all this time. Is trust even a word to be said in this situation?

 

“Yes,” Jisoo answers. “I will do anything to crush you if you lie to me.”

 

Jinyoung smiles, this one bigger than the last time Jisoo saw him smile.

 

“Fair enough.”

 

Jinyoung stands from his seat and hands his hand in front of Jisoo.

 

“I can’t wait to work with you, Kim Jisoo-ssi,” a formal speech.

 

“Me too,” Jisoo stands up from her seat and shakes Jinyoung’s hand in reply.

 

A man in a suit, a woman in her moon, if there is one thing Jisoo believes in life, a woman can only win from a man when she can conquer her own strength. When she can differentiate her feeling and her needs. The moon can only shine when the woman knows exactly where she should land her feet. Jisoo wants to believe she already in her moon now, so whatever Jinyoung will or can do to her will never affect her life and her future.

 

“I’ll be going now,” Jisoo bows with the contract in her hand.  

 

The hard part is finally getting off Jisoo’s shoulders. She wants to rest— or so she thought.

 

“Jisoo-ssi,” Jinyoung cuts Jisoo right before she opens the door. “One more thing.”

 

His voice is deeper. Jisoo turns around to see the CEO standing in front of his couch.

 

“There is one thing we should agree on as well. We can’t fall in love.”

 


 

Hi everyone, I'm back on the weekend with a new chapter.

I hope everyone is doing well. 

I need to thank every one of you who subscribes, comments, and reads (above all). You guys are amazing. I'm triggered and feel like to work harder since I know there are people enjoying this story. Please leave a comment or discuss anything, I'd be happy asnwering it.

Again, thank you for supporting this story. 

See you soon,