Bad Decision, Her

Prologue

The dinner was a disaster. An experience Jisoo wants to forget or rewind if it’s possible.

 

Technically speaking, nothing is wrong with dinner. Jinyoung managed to finish the food without choking himself, chatted with her parents, and bid goodbye well. It went exactly like every dinner she had had with her parents.

 

Which is why it was a disaster.

 

As the car entered, Jisoo could only spot her mother at the entrance, which wasn’t the plan. Later she found out, apparently, her dad decided to buy an ‘emergency’ dessert 10 minutes before the promised time, because he thought the dessert wasn't perfect. So, instead of exchanging small talk to the dining room, like what she had in mind before, they had to wait for her father and Jisoo had to show Jinyoung her house along with her mother.

 

She wasn’t sure if Jinyoung was okay with the idea of knowing about her family’s information even more. She is okay with it, but the thought of wasting Jinyoung’s time was not pleasing. 

 

She showed her the living room, the reading room, the back terrace, and the small garden. The trophies and plaques she received when she was still in high school, as her mother smiled through her miserable stance. Each and every corner, Jinyoung walked in rhythm with her, as if trying to choke her there with his hand.

 

Her father finally arrived after 15 minutes of their arrival. The cheesecake’s box never looked so unappetizing for Jisoo until that night.

 

Jisoo rushed Jinyoung and her parents to the dining room and made tea for Jinyoung, to make sure her parents wouldn’t delay the dinner any longer. Her parents sit face to face with Jisoo and Jinyoung on the dining table, making things even more awkward. Jisoo never sits side by side with Jinyoung if that time in the car wasn't counted as one. 

 

On to the dinner, Jisoo was relieved for a bit. Her mother decided to cooked her normal dish, grilled beef and mushroom, radish soup, kimchi, and some fried chicken. Before, her mother actually discussed the menu with Jisoo and wanted to make some avant-garde, over the top, dish. Something-something with caviar and truffle and Jisoo was against it immediately.

 

It was a good dinner until Jisoo’s dad decided to talk about cattle. No, it wasn’t an expression, her dad casually, consciously, talked about cows. It’s normal for her family to talk about politics, economy, global issues, even entertainment at the dining table. It’s okay if Jinyoung wasn’t there.

 

Jisoo never hates her dining room’s atmosphere when the three of them are present. Exchanging opinions are rare and usually hard, but her parents made it easier for Jisoo. She can spend the night with her parents bantering, telling jokes at the dining table, and feeling happier by the end of the day. It’s one of the things which Jisoo is grateful for her family, the freedom and the great parenting. Jisoo is always proud of it until Jinyoung decided to have dinner with them.

 

It was either a great idea to let Jinyoung into the conversation or a total mishap. Jisoo kept hitching her breath every time her dad stopped and Jinyoung chimed in. If there is one thing Jisoo can be sure about without much worry, is the fact that her parents loved Jinyoung already and Jinyoung really doesn’t need to try. So him exchanging opinions with her parents weren't a great idea.

 

The dinner went for one hour and a half, with some cheesecakes in between the-drug-scandal-of-YG-Entertainments conversation. It was better than cows and goats, but Jisoo doesn't want to talk about it any longer.

 

Jisoo kept looking at Jinyoung the whole evening, trying to figure his mind out. His eyes are pretty much normal, no sarcasm (if Jisoo was right, but who knows), his gesture was perfectly maintained, and not a single bad word from him, not that Jisoo heard him saying bad words before. He looked okay, but Jisoo knew he was exhausted.

 

Jisoo led her way to stop her parents for inviting Jinyoung to another evening session. Even though Jinyoung happily agreed to it, Jisoo just can't let Jinyoung waste another minute of his life to hear about some unnecessary topics.

 

“He has an important meeting tomorrow, let’s continue Saturday.”

 

Jisoo cut in, smiled, and forced her parents to walk to the main entrance.

 

Jisoo wanted to bury herself that night, but as much as she hated the whole get up, she can't believe they managed to decide the essentials. They decided on the joined lunch on Saturday (thankfully they canceled some trip this week), themes and colors for the wedding, list of guests, food preferences, and even wedding dress. It was very smooth if only her parents didn’t act that casual. 

 

Her parents left Jisoo with Jinyoung alone at the parking lot. She had forgotten about her bare face, in which she regretted, and focused on trying to keep her face straight and calm. 

 

She wished Jinyoung a good night sleep, sincerely.

 

Jinyoung stood in front of his car and faced Jisoo before entering. His eyes dimmed, unreadable.

 

“Thank you for tonight, Jisoo-ssi.” He smiled.

 

“It’s been a while since I have a proper meal with a complete family.”

 

For the nth time that evening, Jisoo could feel her chest tightening. Jisoo forgot, amazingly, that this stupid charade happened because of the unfortunate event of the passing of Jinyoung’s dad. Jisoo should’ve known better, Jisoo should have tried harder.

 

The evening went like a breeze of cold air, reminding Jisoo of the hard reality of Jinyoung’s life. Whether he likes it or not, he has to take care of her mother, takes care of his own company, and continues his father’s legacy. He is just doing his best.

 

He smiled, again, and bid his goodbye to Jisoo. And the night ended as a tear dropped on her bare cheek.

 

 

 


Yup, at last. The double update.

 

I have no excuse and I'm very sorry to keep you guys in agony.

It was hard finishing these two chapters, but I'm happy it went better than the first draft.

Hope you guys enjoy it, happy reading