"Cool Beans!"

Getting By, Just Barely

“Okay, superstar. Where do you want to start?”

“Was kinda hoping you’d be able to tell me,” Byul nervously rubbed her neck.

 

It felt as if the direction of this conversation would significantly affect her future, and, despite knowing that this meeting was happening today, Byulyi felt unprepared. She was in over her head.

 

Usually the room in the Coaches’ Suite where she felt most comfortable, Coach Do’s office felt stuffy today. Repositioning herself for the nth time, the senior took a swig of water from her SNU-branded water bottle as she looked on expectantly at the older woman behind the contemporary L-shaped executive desk.

“Can you stop, please? You’re making me nervous,” the young coach informed her.

“Sorry,” Byulyi apologized, immediately stopping her fingers from drumming against the desk’s surface.

“We’re just talking things out. Calm down.”

“Easier said than done,” the athlete mumbled.

“Not really, but anyway, let’s try this instead: which leagues are you interested in?”

“Whichever leagues are options, I guess.”

“They’re all options, Byul. Please be more specific.”

 

That was news to her.

 

“I really don’t know, Coach,” Moonbyul glumly confessed.

“Do you even want to go pro? I’m not trying to be mean, but it seems like you’re not the most excited about this.”

“It’s not that. It would be cool to play professionally, but there’s so much to consider. I don’t even know where I’d start.” The least she could do was be honest with the coach who, out of the goodness of her heart, was taking time to walk her through what this process might look like.

 

Since the conversation with Coach Ok the week prior, Byulyi hadn’t given much thought to what they’d discussed. As such, it came as a surprise when, early Monday morning, the Head Coach contacted her asking if a meeting should be set up with Coach Do or not. Saying no didn’t seem like an option, so Byul said yes. That’s how she found herself in front of Coach Do this Tuesday afternoon, a nervous, clueless wreck. She knew nothing about playing professionally, hadn’t given it much—if any—thought, and was basically wasting her coach’s time.

 

“Again, I ask, do you want to play professionally?” The question didn’t come off as judgmental.

“I wouldn’t be opposed to it, but I haven’t thought seriously about it. Coach mentioned it last week, and then it was Midnight Madness, now it’s the Tuesday after Midnight Madness.” The hope was that her Coach understood what she was trying to say.

“You were partying all weekend and didn’t have time to think this through,” she read between the lines. After Byul nodded, Siwan chuckled softly. “Got it. Well, in the spirit of honesty, Coach Ok wants a progress report from me after you and I finish meeting, so . . . we have to be somewhat productive. Let’s start with an overview of the different leagues out there and the level of interest different teams have in you.”

 

For the next hour or so, Moonbyul listened attentively as her coach explained the pros and cons of leagues around the world, including the pay structures and incentives that each had to offer. An avid fan of the sport, she had watched games from every one of the leagues mentioned. It was shocking, then, to learn of the offers that so many of the teams she studied were ready to make to have her play for them. Coach Do made sure to note that most of them were estimates of how much she might earn, but even so, Moonbyul was left speechless.

 

“Thoughts? I’ve been talking forever. It’s your turn now.”

“Those are some big numbers,” she said in shock.

“Yeah, they are. Which is why Coach is making sure you seriously consider it.”

“That’s not what she told me.”

“Did she give you the whole ‘You don’t have to want to go down that path’ spiel? I shouldn’t call it a spiel, that makes it sound like she’s lying,” Siwan thought out loud. “You don’t have to want that life, but she would be disappointed if you didn’t look into it. So would I. And the entire staff. You need to go pro. I don’t even know why you were considering anything else. The moment your senior year started, you should’ve found an agent and had them start fielding offers for you.”

“Where was I supposed to find an agent?”

“All you had to do was come to any of the coaches and say you wanted an agent. We would have found you an agent.”

“So . . . if I tell you I want an agent, you’ll help me find one?”

“We already have connections with an agency. Say the word and I’ll make the call. We could be meeting with someone as soon as next week if you’d like.”

“I don’t know if I can afford an agent right now, Coach.”

“There’s no charge until you actually sign somewhere. That’s their policy for university athletes, at least. That’s why the agents work so hard to get you a good contract and a sizable signing bonus. With you? Please. I’m sure all those at the agency are clamoring to be assigned to you should you decide to play professionally. You’re a walking fat check.”

 

Taking a deep breath and exhaling, Moonbyul processed the information that was dumped on her. It wasn’t that she didn’t want to play professionally, she had just never thought it through which, looking at things objectively now, was naïve of her. All signs pointed to this career path.

 

In the back of her mind though, some doubt remained. For months now, she had been preparing applications for business schools and, thinking about it, that was still something she wanted to pursue. Basketball was her life, and, while she knew it wouldn’t last forever, the doors it opened for her would. Thus far, she had received an elite education at no cost to her family. Basketball made that possible. Part of her thought it would be wise to ride things out for as long as she could and get an MBA out of this. That degree would change her life—no one would be able to take it away from her, and it all but guaranteed her a well-paying job. The security it promised was appealing.

 

The amount of money Coach Do believed she could make in one season playing professionally though . . .

 

Moonbyul was conflicted.

 

“Take a week to think things over. Let me know next Tuesday, the latest, if you want to meet with someone from the agency to hear more specifics about how this would work.”

“Thanks, Coach.”

“Yeah, yeah. I don’t see any reason why you wouldn’t at least hear what an agent would have to say. There’s nothing to lose by taking a meeting.”

She was right, Byul had nothing to lose. In fact, it sounded like she had everything to gain. Still, the senior wanted to be smart about things. She’d take her time and contemplate her options.

 

*

 

Moonbyul had no classes on Tuesdays. Normally, she’d be in the gym right now, either lifting weights or getting shots up, but the meeting with Coach Do and the lack of sleep from Midnight Madness weekend was taking a toll on her.

 

It was 2:30 pm. Practice was at 6:00 pm. She had time to kill.

 

Checking her phone as she left the Coaches’ Suite, a smile crept onto the brunette’s face as she found a response from Yongsun awaiting her.

From: Yong

My day’s okay. One of my students cancelled.

I can eat lunch today 🙌 2:26 pm

To: Yong

So what you’re saying is that you don’t normally eat lunch? 2:31 pm

From: Yong

😅

How’s your day going? 2:34 pm

To: Yong

Way to change the subject.

My day’s fine. Free time now.

When are you taking lunch? 2:35 pm

From: Yong

3-4 pm 2:35 pm

To: Yong

I’ll come get you. We’ll eat together. 2:36 pm

From: Yong

Cool beans. See you then. 2:37 pm

To: Yong

Don’t say ‘cool beans’. No one says that. 2:37 pm

From: Yong

Cool beans! 2:37 pm

 

Shaking her head affectionately, Byulyi closed her messages and opened Twitter, laughing out loud at the outrageous memes that comprised the entirety of her timeline—the locker room was empty. No one would hear her.

 

Calming herself down, she sent a few of the funniest tweets to Yongsun before pocketing her phone altogether. It wouldn’t take her long to walk to The Center—it was part of the athletic complex, a five-minute walk at most. She had fifteen minutes to kill. Her mind, predictably, went to Yongsun.

 

What happened on Saturday stayed on the dance floor. They didn’t talk about it.

 

After walking off hand‑in‑hand, the two of them returned to their hotel room, where they took turns washing up before falling asleep wrapped in each other’s arms. It was their usual routine, yet it felt different to Byulyi. Still buzzing from the dance she shared with her best friend, though, the senior knew she hadn’t imagined the way Yongsun clutched onto her a bit tighter than usual that night. It was real. She was sure of it.

 

The thought gave her hope that her bold actions had made an immediate impression on Yongsun.

 

Brunch the next day effectively squashed her optimism.

“Unnie! What is that on your neck?” Heeyeon excitedly yelled at their table.

 

The restaurant that the five of them had settled on was a block away from their hotel. Thanks to the rowdy night before, the establishment was a ghost town. Eleven in the morning seemed to be too early a time for their peers to venture outside the comforts of their beds in search of food. Moonbyul, herself, nearly passed on the meal with her friends, but Wheein and Hyejin insisted. Notorious oversleepers, the two youngest girls made it clear that if they could get up for a communal meal, everyone else could, too.

 

Dragging Heeyeon along, the group hadn’t even been seated for 10 minutes before Byulyi’s roommate shouted her exclamation.

 

Yongsun’s hands instantly flew to cover the area in question.

“Ooooh, unnie, where’d you get that from?” Hyejin asked conspiratorially as she smirked at Moonbyul. Blood running cold, the senior busied herself with her cell phone while the others continued teasing Yongsun.

 

Group Message: Ahnyonce, Wheeinie, Hee-yawn, Byul

Ahnyonce

Byul-unnie, you work quick, huh?! 😉 11:13 am

Hee-yawn

Get it, Byulyi! 11:13 am

Wheeinie

👏 11:13 am

 

Embarrassing.

 

Byul

It’s not from me. 11:14 am

 

She didn’t need to look up to know that three pairs of sympathetic eyes were trained on her. The intensity of their gazes burned her skin.

 

Yongsun rattled off something about forgetting her concealer would wear off, but Byulyi was already too far into throwing herself a pity party to pay much attention.

 

The memory made her laugh. All she wanted that day was to get back to UV and into her bed. Instead, once the door to their apartment shut behind them, Heeyeon held her hostage, delivering a 30-minute long motivational speech. It was as chaotic as one would expect.

 

A couple days later, though, the basketball star felt reinvigorated, a renewed sense of resolve about her. She’d work harder until Yongsun caught on. Of course, confessing outright was an option . . . just not one Byulyi was brave enough for yet.

 

*

 

“Try some.”

“I don’t want any.”

“Byul-ah,” Yongsun whined. “Try some!”

“No.”

 

A piece of spicy pork gimbap pressing against her lips, the brunette pursed her lips and attempted to turn her head but was held in place as Yongsun’s left hand gripped her chin.

“Byul-ah,” the blonde’s voice grew gentle, “try some. Please.”

Her hand was so soft. It was gripping the hell out of her chin, Byul thought, but it was also extremely soft. She couldn’t concentrate.

 

The plan was to pick Yongsun up from The Center, take her to the to-go eatery in the building’s lobby, and, hopefully, chip away at the just-a-friend label she was sure the older woman used when describing her. Fending off attempts to force-feed her was not part of the plan.

 

“You know I don’t like spicy stuff,” she mumbled, intent on keeping the food pressed against her lip out of .

“You don’t trust me?” Yongsun asked with an exaggerated pout.

“I do. Still doesn’t change the fact that I don’t like spicy stuff.”

“Do you trust me, yes or no?”

“Yes.”

“With your life?”

The playful atmosphere dimmed a bit. As with Saturday night, the athlete knew she wasn’t imagining the way Yongsun’s eyes softened as she asked that question.

“You know the answer to that,” Byul responded, voice quiet.

“Do I?” Yongsun challenged.

“You do. I know you do.”

“How are you so sure?”

“Because I know.” The athlete’s smirk grew exponentially as Yongsun playfully rolled her eyes.

“You think you know everything, huh?”

“Not everything,” Byul answered, pausing to hold Yongsun’s hand in place as her lips captured the food that was held out for her. “Just you. I know you.”

Watching intently, a sense of accomplishment washed over her as the blonde’s lips grudgingly curled upward.

 

 

“This is good, by the way. You were right.”

She usually knew better than to compliment Yongsun or agree in any way that her friend was right about something. The older girl always grew smug and arrogant. Today, though, Byulyi found it cute as the woman next to her bragged and boasted, spouting “I knew you’d like it” nonstop.

“Oh. So you think you know everything, huh?” Moonbyul parroted.

“Not everything. Just you. I know you,” Yongsun played along, voice tender and sincere.

 

They sat shoulder-to-bicep, staring at each other, neither wanting to be the first to look away. One of them eventually did though. They couldn’t tell you who. It didn’t matter. Because the end of their competitive stare down gave way to an equally tense but differently charged atmosphere. One full of teasing glances and shy smiles. Moonbyul let Yongsun feed her a few more pieces of food before the two fell back into their usual rhythm of things, talking about their days and debriefing the tweets Byul filled Yongsun’s notifications with.

 

 

“Don’t think I’m going to ignore the fact that you would have skipped lunch today had one of your students not cancelled,” the athlete announced. It was a few minutes to 4:00 pm. Remembering that she had a session with a student at that time, Yongsun made way to leave, but Byulyi insisted on walking her back.

“I usually bring snacks to hold me over. Today was an anomaly.”

“It won’t an anomaly anymore,” Moonbyul ignored Yongsun’s inquisitive gaze and continued looking ahead of her as she walked. “From now on, I’ll be bringing you lunch every Tuesday. You can’t work for five hours and expect to get by on snacks alone.” A few tense moments of silence passed as they neared The Center’s entrance.

 

Reaching their destination, both stood in the hallway facing each other.

“You don’t have to do that,” the graduate student timidly attempted to dissuade her.

“I know.”

“I didn’t ask you to do that,” Yongsun got slightly testy. What was it with her and refusing to accept help?

“And I didn’t ask for your permission to do it.”

“What if I decide to not eat it?”

Shaking her head in disbelief, Byulyi snorted softly. “You’re going to eat it because you hate wasting food. Stop being difficult.”

“I’m not being difficult.” Arms crossed against her chest made the athlete smile.

“You are, and you’re wasting your time. I’m bringing you lunch. Get over it.” Grabbing hold of the shorter woman’s shoulders, Moonbyul turned Yongsun toward The Center’s entrance before opening the door for her. “You and that cute pout of yours have a 4:00 appointment. Hurry up before you’re late. I’ll message you when I reach the locker room.”

“Whatever.” She almost stomped away, but Byulyi made sure to block her path by jutting out an arm.

“Excuse me, no hug goodbye?”

“You’re seriously so annoying! I’m going to be late.”

“Then make it quick. Chop, chop.” Yongsun was legitimately growing more agitated with each passing second, and it might have been counterintuitive to her ultimate goal of trying to get the graduate student to maybe‑kind of‑sort of‑possibly like her, but Byul couldn’t completely ignore how much she enjoyed toying with the older girl. It was so much fun.

 

Caught up in their bickering, the pair almost didn’t hear the throat clearing behind them.

“Uh, do you mind if I pass?” A young man decked out in SNU Taekwondo‑engraved sweats asked hesitantly.

“Ah, sorry,” Moonbyul apologized, bowing as she moved to the side, pulling Yongsun with her.

“Sorry,” the blonde followed suit. “See? You play too much,” she angrily whispered.

“Calm down,” Byulyi laughed her best friend’s worries off. “If you would’ve given me hug right away, we wouldn’t have been blocking the door. Lesson of the day: listen to Byulyi. Now, can I get my hug, please? You’re going to be late.”

 

Rolling her eyes and kissing her teeth the entire time, Yongsun finally walked into the brunette’s open arms. Already content, Byul grew even more so when she heard the muffled words against her clothes.

“You’re annoying.” Despite her words, Moonbyul felt the older woman sink into the embrace.

“I know. Thank goodness I have you as a frie-, thank goodness I have you in my life.” And thank goodness she saved herself from that almost slip up. She refused to give Yongsun anymore reasons to still view her as just a friend. “Okay, now go be the best academic advisor and advise this student on academics. Talk to you later, okay?”

“Okay. Have a good practice.”

“I’ll try my best.”

 

*

 

The sounds of her teammates filtering into the locker room woke Moonbyul from her impromptu nap. In one of her rare moments of brilliance, she’d changed into her practice gear before laying on the couch and falling asleep. There wasn’t much else for her to do upon waking up, but as captain, the senior thought it would set a good example if she headed to the courts an hour early and shot around.

 

Grabbing the team speakers, she took her time walking down the hall to the practice gym. Setting up at half court, Byul connected her phone using Bluetooth and selected a playlist she knew would give her the strength needed to expend energy.

 

With her upbeat tunes filling the gym, the brunette couldn’t fight the urge to do one last check of Twitter before abandoning her phone for the next hour. The regret was immediate.

ess why @seungyeon 20m: We’re still on for this weekend, right? @yongsun

Kim Yongsun @yongsun 10m: @seungyeon Yup, yup!

ess why @seungyeon 2m: @yongsun Cool beans!

 

The wind knocked out of her sails, Byul sent one last message before setting her phone down and giving basketball her undivided attention.

To: Hee-yawn

Going to need another pep talk 😩 5:04 pm


Note: Not the longest of updates, but a bridge was needed, so here’s the bridge. Another update this week . . . if I can, I will.

Had a moment of enlightenment earlier this week where I realized how happy I am with this story. It’s a lot more demanding that originally anticipated, but I really like where it’s going and am excited (for now) about how things will play out. There are parts of later chapters already written but we have to get there and I’m so ready to get there.

I say it a lot, but I sincerely mean it: thank you all for reading! Until next week . . . or later this week? We’ll see.