Welcome the Tongue

Getting By, Just Barely

Life moved on for her.

 

The whole attracted-to-her-best-friend thing hadn’t completely evaporated, but the start of her last year in graduate school brought with it more pressing matters. For starters, Yongsun knew that, as with the previous year, time would fly and, if she didn’t prepare properly, she’d graduate with no job prospects.

 

A lot had changed since, but it felt at times as if she were a fourth-year in college all over again, ill-prepared for life after graduation and scrambling to save herself and her family from embarrassment. As with years ago, conversations with her mother only further drove home the feelings of insecurity and uncertainty Yongsun experienced periodically.

“What kind of jobs can you get with a degree in Educational Counseling?”

“Lots of jobs, mother.”

“Do those ‘lots of jobs’ pay lots of money?”

“Mother.”

“Okay, you’re getting sensitive. I’ll drop it for now. But you must start looking early, honey. If you start now, things should be fine. Especially with a degree from such an elite school.”

Yongsun knew all of this. “Yes, mother. I know.”

“Did you eat today? You get cranky when you don’t eat.”

“I ate.”

 

Two years had passed since they last had a similar discussion. Yongsun had learned nothing since then on how to manage stressful conversations with her mother. It was an area in which she realized growth was needed. Lashing out and getting frosty was childish. Her mother didn’t deserve it. Despite thriving academically and socially at a top university, she still felt like a failure and disappointment for not having yet secured a job—it was the first week of school. Her irrationality wasn’t her mother’s fault, it was something deep-seated that required intense reflection.

 

Oblivious to her youngest’s inner turmoil, Lee Soyoung switched gears. “How is Byulyi? I miss her,” the older woman whined. Whined. She whined.

“Ew. Don’t do that,” Yongsun chuckled uncomfortably.

“How is she? Are you taking care of her?”

“Last I checked, she’s a grown woman, mother. She’s capable of taking care of herself.”

“Stop acting cold-hearted. It doesn’t suit you. She’s your friend. Friends take care of each other.”

“Mmm. She’s fine. Training, always training. We actually just had a meal together.”

“That’s nice,” her mother cooed. “She’s such a sweet girl.”

“She’s okay.”

“Jealousy doesn’t suit you either,” her mom melodically laughed. “Anyway, I have to go. We’ll talk soon, okay?”

“Okay. Love you, mommy.”

“Love you, too, baby. Tell Byulyi I said hello and that I miss her.”

“I’ll be sure not to do that.”

 

“Earth to Yongsun!”

“Huh? Sorry.” Shaking her head a bit, Yongsun refocused.

“What’s up with you today? You okay?”

 

She and Taecyeon had been working out together for a little over one month. Throughout that time, a solid friendship had blossomed. The hours of lifting and pushing unnecessary amounts of weight, the pungent smell of metal that clung to their hands after each workout, the mental and physical blocks they overcame together—a unique bond had formed between the two graduate students. For the most part, Yongsun felt she could talk to Moonbyul about anything, but for the handful of things she withheld from the basketball player, Taecyeon had become her go-to.

“Had a talk with my mom last week about jobs. It’s still on my mind. A little stressed, I guess.” Speaking while bench pressing wasn’t the easiest. Expending additional energy, no matter how infinitesimal, made it exceptionally more difficult to accomplish her goal right now—ten repetitions of a 20.4-kilogram barbell.

“Why are you stressed?” Taecyeon asked. His words conveyed genuine interest, but the way he hovered over her head, eyes intently tracking her arms’ every move as they lifted the barbell, she almost laughed and dropped the thing altogether.

 

Upper arms burning, Yongsun only barely pushed out her last repetition—with help from Taecyeon—before rolling off the bench. Swirling the cool water from her bottle around for a bit, she finally swallowed and acknowledged the question previously asked of her.

“I’m stressed because I don’t have a job.”

“You still have a one-minute plank before you’re done,” he calmly reminded her. Having added a significant amount of weight to his bar, Yongsun stared incredulously as her gym buddy knocked out his repetitions so smoothly and easily.

“Taec!”

“Don’t ‘Taec’ me. You’re not done yet. Do your plank and it’s over. The longer you stand there and whine, the longer until you can be finished.” Satisfied with the sound of her her teeth, he continued, “as for the job situation, have you started looking?”

“No,” she responded flatly. Moments later, he appeared next to her, setting up to complete his own plank.

“Then why are you stressed? It’s not like you’ve looked and gotten rejected. Haven’t even started yet.”

“What if I start looking and get rejected from everything?”

“That won’t happen. You’re graduating from SNU. Even though you’re not, people will assume you’re intelligent.”

“Shut up!” She squealed, pushing him. The man barely budged from his perfect-form horizontal position.

“I think I need to up your workouts. Look at how weak you are,” his wholehearted laugh filled the almost-empty gym.

“I’d sue.”

“Drama queen.”

 

Both finished with the evening’s workout, Taecyeon moved right into their warm-down stretch.

“You’ll find a job. Doesn’t the Center help some of the athletes with stuff like that? Next time you go in for a shift, ask the staff if they have any resources that would help you get started with your search.”

That was actually a great idea, one she had never considered because she didn’t want anyone knowing she didn’t have things completely figured out. Maybe it was time she swallowed her pride.

“Look, you’re quiet now because I’m right.”

“You’re so full of yourself.”

“I’m not, I just realize the importance of asking for help . . . which I’m about to ask for,” he finished shyly.

“This sounds juicy.”

“Shut up.”

“Your face is turning pink! Oh my goodness!”

 

Ignoring all of her antics, the KU student laid out on the mat-covered floor.

“I have a date on Thursday and I need your advice. Because you’re a woman.”

“Perceptive.”

“Be serious, please? I’ve known this girl for a while. She lives in UV, too, and works in the management office. This year we have shifts that overlap, so we’ve gotten closer and I asked her out yesterday. She said yes, but I have no idea where to take her or what we should do. Thought about a movie–”

“No movies. That’s awkward. You don’t get a chance to talk. It doesn’t have to be a big deal, take her to a nice café. That way you can talk outside of a work setting and get to know each other better.”

They went back and forth until the two figured out the best option for Taecyeon and his date. As their brainstorming session wrapped up, the two gathered their belongings, heading to the gym’s exit, when Yongsun’s phone rang. Asking him to wait a moment for her, she walked off to a corner and answered, not without fighting through the pain that shot up through her arms.

“Hi! What’s up?”

“What are you doing this weekend?”

“Hi, Seungyeon. My night’s going well, thank you. Had a tough workout, but I survived.” The chuckle that came through the phone sent shivers down her spine. Her old-acquaintance-turned-friend sometimes had this effect on her, but the two were playful enough that Yongsun could make a joke about it. Always jokes, never an outright acknowledgement of what seemed to be growing between them. “Seungyeon, you’re doing that thing again. Please stop.”

“I’m sorry, I apologize. I’ll turn down my charm.”

“Thank you. What was it you were asking about this weekend?”

“Oh yeah. Sirae’s hosting another party this weekend and needs people to fill the club. Want to come?”

 

This was regular for them. Sirae, who played at SKKU at the same time as Seungyeon, also lived in Seoul. An entrepreneur, she was making a name for herself in the nightlife scene, skilled at networking and planning talk-of-the-town parties. All of this Yongsun learned when the three of them met up one night for drinks. Since then, Sirae would extend invitations to her via Seungyeon for nights out on the town. Things were always free, something Yongsun felt guilty about at first, but Sirae assured her that she’d still make a profit. “Someone will spend a lot of money making sure your glass is never empty. Even if you only want to drink juice, they’ll buy you the juice of your choice all night. If they’re doing that, the club’s making money and I’m happy.” A shrewd businesswoman.

 

Catching sight of Taecyeon waiting patiently by the door, the graduate student decided to finish up quickly.

“Sounds like fun, sure. Can I bring some friends?”

“Chorong? Yeah, she was fun last time she partied with us.”

“And another friend.”

“Is she pretty?”

“He’s a he.”

“Is he pretty?”

“You’re too much. And yes, he is. Very.”

“Fine. You can bring him. Send me his name and I’ll have Sirae add him to the list so he doesn’t have to pay.”

“Thank you!”

“It’s only because you’re the one asking. Seriously.”

“I get special privileges?” Sometimes Yongsun could get brave. Sometimes.

“You know you do.”

“Deserved!”

“You’re so silly. I’m going to call her now to let her know.”

“Okay. I’m going to call it a night soon, so I’ll talk to you later this week, yeah?”

“Yeah, you’ll hear from me. Have a good night,” Seungyeon bid her farewell.

“You, too!”

Checking her phone one last time as she walked to rejoin Taecyeon, she caught a message sent to her a few minutes ago,

From: Byul-ah

Ordered dinner.

Come by after your workout 😊. 8:48 pm

 

“Who was that? You sounded so flirty.”

“I did not,” she insisted.

“I get special privileges,” Taecyeon imitated her conversation from a couple minutes ago, complete with batting his eyelashes.

“I didn’t even do that!” She laughed out loud.

“You might as well have.”

“You’re a creep for listening to my conversation. Anyway, a friend of mine hosts parties and is having one this weekend. You’re invited. It’s free. You’re welcome.”

“Ohhh,” he held the door open for her as they finally left the gym, “we’re at that level now? Hanging out outside of exercising and working out?”

“You’re holding on by a thread, but yes. We are.”

“Exciting! I’d love to go. And I can update you on what happens Thursday.”

“That’s perfect.”

 

Their connection wasn’t yet fine-tuned, though. They reached the lobby and he turned right to head outside towards the mart. She turned left towards the door leading to the second tower.

“Where are you going? Thought we were getting dinner?”

“I’m eating with Byulyi tonight.”

“Ohhh,” he playfully wagged his brows, “dinner with Byulyi, huh?”

 

He knew. She told him. He’d been asking questions about the two of them during one of their workouts and she told him because . . . why not? Keeping it to herself was exhausting and it wasn’t as if Taecyeon would tell anyone.

 

The bond between workout buddies was no joke.

 

“It’s not like that. It’s just dinner.”

“Well, I hope you enjoy your ‘just dinner’. I also hope it’s full of protein. You worked hard today, you need to eat properly if you want to see results.”

“Yes, dad.”

“Goodnight, smartass. Have fun suffering with Moonbyul.”

 

*

 

The club, as Sirae’s parties typically were, was packed. Great news for Sirae, horrible for Yongsun, whose journey to the bathroom and back took twice as long as it probably should have.

 

Doing her best to maneuver through the swarm of bodies on the path to VIP, Yongsun blocked out the faces of the people around trying to get her attention, intent only on making it back to her friends. Finally making it to and past the bouncer guarding the entrance to the seated area, the blonde took a moment to appreciate her accomplishment and catch her breath. The amount of people packed together out there caused a noticeable difference in temperature. The fresh air now was a gift.

“You okay, over there?”

It was one of the guys from the VIP party next to hers.

“I’m fine, thank you. Taking a moment to breath.”

“It’s rough out there. That’s why I stay in VIP.”

“I had to use the bathroom,” she pouted. The two of them had run into each other throughout the night and each time he seemed to not take himself too seriously, cracking a few jokes here and there.

“There are bathrooms in VIP. Your friends didn’t tell you?”

“What?! We’ve all been trekking through that mess out there. No one told us.” She was sober and annoyed. It took forever getting to the restroom, waiting on the disgustingly long line, then making it back to their group’s section.

“That .”

“Stop laughing at me,” she pouted again. This was frustrating news. “I didn’t mean to, it’s just that you just look very cute making that face. It’s entertaining.”

“Anyway, sir, I’m going back to my friends now.”

“Wait! I didn’t even get your name.”

 

And that was how Yongsun spent an additional twenty minutes chatting up a stranger she met at the club. It was fun, though. He was easy-going and didn’t take himself too seriously. The conversation was effortless. She found him attractive and she could tell that the feeling was mutual. He’d for sure ask for her phone number.

 

Going out as often as she had been was daunting. It took a lot of energy out of her, but she was learning a lot about herself, specifically what and who she found attractive, and how to interact—flirt—with those people. Things were always low-stakes. She’d most likely never see these people again and her friends were always nearby, so safety wasn’t a huge concern for her. It was perfect. The point was, she’d grown exponentially in this area—Yongsun wasn’t an expert, but she was now capable of reading people’s body language when they spoke to her. She paid attention to their reactions. She listened and observed more than she spoke. That’s how she knew this man would ask for her number. He kept laughing at jokes she wasn’t making, his entire body was turned towards her, she didn’t speak much—mostly listening to him answer questions she asked—but when she did, he hung on her every word.

 

It wasn’t a matter of being conceited, it was a matter of fact: he was interested.

 

From: Rongie

You’ve been gone forever.

Are you okay? 12:38 am

 

“It looks like my time’s up,” he joked as Yongsun’s eyes checked her phone for the new message sent to her.

“My friends are asking for me. I’ve been gone for a while.”

“Maybe I could get your number and we could continue our conversation another time? It’d be great to get to know you better . . .  unless you’re in a relationship?”

“No,” she smiled, “I’m not in a relationship. But I don’t give my number out to strangers.” After being semi-scolded by Wheein and Hyejin once for giving her number out, the blonde had learned her lesson. “I could take yours, though,” she smirked.

“That was smooth,” he complimented. “But yes, I’d love it if you took my number.”

 

And that was exactly what Yongsun did. She took his number and finally made her way back to her friends, not without teasing her latest acquaintance once more.

“It was a pleasure meeting you, Yongsun.” The smile she was met with was charming. Very. She most likely wouldn’t contact him after tonight, but she enjoyed the experience. “I look forward to receiving a message from you.”

Pretending to think about it for a while, she finally responded. “Maybe. I’ll think about it.” With that, she strutted to her Chorong and the others.

 

 

“Look who finally showed up!”

“I wasn’t gone for that long, Rongie.” She was, but she needed her friend to drop it. “Where’s Taec?”

“At the bar over there. Should be back soon.”

“I think he’s in a good mood because his date went well on Thursday,” Yongsun shared.

“He mentioned that to me! I think he really likes that girl.”

“He does.”

“That’s cute.”

“He deserves it,” the blonde answered, sliding into the empty spot on the couch to her roommate’s right. “He’s such a good guy.”

“You’re back,” Seungyeon suddenly appeared, voice slightly slurred. Black trousers, black tube top, black blazer, red lipstick, bone straight hair. She looked good.

“I’m going to the bathroom,” Chorong announced, vacating her seat.

“Oh! Just found out there’s a bathroom in VIP. Ask the bartender so you don’t have to get stuck in the mess out there.”

 

Chorong gave the okay sign with her fingers before heading off. Seungyeon wasted no time taking her spot. Arm casually slung along the back of the couch, she simply stared at Yongsun.

“Why are you looking at me like that?” The graduate student asked, growing a self-conscious under her friend’s intense eyes.

“Because you’re pretty.” She sounded like Moonbyul. Yongsun hated that that was the first person she thought of.

“Thank you,” she cheekily replied.

“You’re welcome. How was your week?”

 

After their conversation on Monday, the two hadn’t spoken much.

“It was fine. Adjusting to my schedule for this semester. How was yours?”

“It wasn’t too bad, actually. Work was calmer than it’s been in recent memory. The only downside was the lack of conversation with you. I kept checking my phone to see if you’d sent any messages. Nothing.”

 

As fun as Seungyeon was, she made Yongsun nervous sometimes. It was becoming abundantly clear that they were attracted to each other, but Yongsun had no experience dealing with someone that was as much to handle as Seungyeon was. Powerful, dynamic, commanding presence. The comparison wasn’t perfect, but there was a lot of Hyejin in her and Hyejin was . . . well, a handful and a half. She’d grown accustomed to Hyejin, but with Seungyeon, Yongsun wasn’t sure she could match that energy.

 

But she’d try.

 

“Phones go two ways. You could’ve texted me if you wanted to talk to me.”

“I’m shy,” the taller woman smirked.

“You’re a flirt is what you are,” Yongsun smirked back.

“A little bit. Can you blame me, though? Look at you.”

It had to be the alcohol. Yongsun was convinced. Seungyeon had never before been this outright flirtatious. It wasn’t a bad thing. In fact, the graduate student liked it. The back and forth that threatened—if conditions were just right—to evolve from words only to action, Yongsun found it exhilarating. It was fun. And it continued being fun for the rest of the night as she entertained Seungyeon’s emboldened words.

 

*

 

The rest of September passed without incident. Yongsun spent most of its Saturdays out with Seungyeon, but they’d reverted to their usual routine of joking about the attraction between them. If the other woman wasn’t doing anything about it, Yongsun wasn’t taking it upon herself to make a move.

 

What was more interesting to her was that the conversation with her mother a month ago continued to linger on her mind.

 

She had no job for after graduate school because she hadn’t applied to any jobs because she didn’t know what she wanted to do. It was gnawing at her. Enough so that her usually well-concealed self-doubt jumped out every now and then, obvious to anyone that was really paying attention. And Moonbyul seemed to always be paying attention.

 

Taecyeon was out again with the girl he had been seeing, so her night was free. Working out without him was an option—she’d done it before—but Yongsun wasn’t in the mood. She wanted to lay in her bed and forget about everything. As if reading her mind, Byulyi messaged about being bored and asked if she could come over—Chorong was studying at Changsub’s that night.

 

Both with a handle on their schoolwork, they laid in Yongsun’s bed wrapped in each other’s arms while watching a movie on her laptop. Byulyi was watching it, Yongsun’s mind was elsewhere. Something funny happened and she didn’t laugh. The basketball player suddenly paused the movie.

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing’s wrong. Play the movie.”

“I’m not playing the movie. Something’s obviously wrong. That’s, like, the third time that something you’d normally find funny happened and you didn’t laugh. You’ve been weird for a few weeks now, but I didn’t say anything because I figured you’d say something, but you haven’t said something. What’s wrong?”

 

That’s all it took. She cracked. Spilled everything about not having a job lined up, about feeling like she was going to be a disappointment to herself and her parents, about feeling like she wasn’t good enough to find a secure job. She didn’t know if she excelled at anything in particular. One thing she did was work hard, but Yongsun had a feeling that putting “I work hard” on a resume wouldn’t quite win employers over.

 

Byulyi listened attentively. Said nothing. She let Yongsun get everything out before giving her two cents.

“You’re an idiot.”

“Thanks for the amazing advice, Byulyi,” she dryly spat out. The senior laughing only served to infuriate her further.

“I’m serious,” Byul held her tighter. “That was the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard, and I’ve listened to you say a lot of dumb things. Frankly, it’s annoying how you downplay yourself and your abilities. The part about not knowing what you want to do, okay, that makes sense. Everything else was dumb. There’s no other way to phrase it. Why would anyone be disappointed in you or think that you’re a failure?”

“If I graduate from SNU and don’t have a job, wouldn’t that be embarrassing and considered a failure?”

“Um, no, because you would have graduated from SNU. And that’s not to say that that would make you smarter than anyone else, but this is a tough school to get into. You got in because they believed you capable of excelling and that’s what you’re doing. You’ve worked jobs the entire time while also maintaining high marks. That’s difficult to do, but you make it seem so easy. You’re doing so much good, Yong. Why can’t you see that? Hmm? You’re amazing, and even that is an understatement. I’m not good with words like you are, but you’re doing just fine, Yong. You said you don’t know what kind of job you want yet, so let’s start with what you like doing. Get up, go get a pen and some paper.”

“Byul-ah.”

“Go get a pen and a paper.”

“I heard you the first time,” Yongsun rolled her eyes.

“Obviously not, because you’re still lying down on me instead of holding a pen and paper.”

 

Despite her grumbling, she did as she was told, trudging to her desk to retrieve a few sheets of paper and a pen.

 

Hopping back on the bed and sitting cross-legged across from each other, Moonbyul asked one question.

“What do you like doing?”

“Helping people.”

“That’s stupid.”

“How is that stupid?!”

“That’s a generic answer, Yong. You can do better than that. What do you like doing? Write everything that comes to mind down on the paper and don’t stop until I say so.”

“How did this turn into you bossing me around?”

“You’re talking, but you’re not writing like I asked you to.”

Although a bit rude, this bossy side of Moonbyul was, dare she say, y? It was kind of turnin–

“Write!”

“Oh my gosh, stop yelling at me!”

“If you followed directions, I wouldn’t have to yell.”

Never mind, the bossy side of Byulyi irked her.

 

Putting in a bit more effort to the question asked, though, the blonde took time to think about her graduate career thus far. What had she enjoyed about it? What did she like about it? What, if asked, would she request more of? She thought and wrote and scratched out and thought some more.

 

“Okay, read what you have?”

“I have lots of stuff. Be more specific.” The aggravation hadn’t fully worn off.

“Here’s one thing you like doing and are great at: acting like a child.”

I act like a child? Have you met yourself?”

“What do you like doing?! Read the paper!”

“Don’t yell at me!”

 

She watched as Byul took a deep breath in and exhaled dramatically.

“Fine. I’m sorry. Yongsun,” the athlete began in a sickeningly sweet and timid voice, “the brightest light in all the world, could you please read your paper and tell me what you like doing so that we can brainstorm some career options for you?”

“You’re an !” It wasn’t meant to be funny, she was being serious, but Moonbyul began cackling and she suddenly followed suit. The whole thing was ridiculous. “So far, I’ve most enjoyed the parts of my program where I’ve learned tangible skills to be used in facilitation and counseling roles. My favorite classes so far have been Creativity and Education, Group Counseling, and my Counseling Practicum.”

“That was on a Saturday.”

“Exactly! It was on a weekend and it’s still one of my favorites. I’m also really enjoying my Career and Vocational Counseling class this semester. They’ve all helped a ton in me feeling more confident when working with athletes at the Center. Speaking of! I love working at the Center. It’s not even about me feeling accomplished, it’s about the students I work with feeling proud of themselves when they meet the academic goals they set for themselves, especially the ones that never realized they learn differently.” She talked and talked about the intricacies of crafting plans for each individual student that took into account their strengths and areas for growth. Once again, Byulyi listened without interrupting, speaking only after she had completely shared her feelings and thoughts.

 

“I know what you should do.”

“What?”

“You should email the Director of the Center and ask if he has time grab coffee with you one day. Tell him that you’re interested in how he got to his role because you’re graduating soon and are thinking about your own professional development.”

“Taec recommended something similar!”

“Taec? Taecyeon?”

“Yeah! I talked to him about this for a little bit last month and he said something similar.”

“You spoke to him about this a month ago?!”

“Yeah, not long after my mom called me and started asking about job stuff.”

“You were worrying about this for a month! And you spoke to Taecyeon about it?”

“Yeah, why? What’s wrong?”

“I’m leaving.”

 

Yongsun should’ve felt bad that Moonbyul seemed genuinely perturbed by the fact that this had been kept from her, but the way the senior spat out Taecyeon’s name was so dramatic that it was comical. While she sat atop her bed clutching her belly from laughing at Byul’s indignation, the basketball star was quickly making her way to the apartment’s entrance.

 

“Oh my goodness, stop being such a baby, Byulyi.”

Effortlessly hopping off of her bed, Yongsun caught the younger girl midway through putting her left shoe on. From behind, she instinctively wrapped her arms around Byul’s toned stomach.

“Can you stop, please?”

The soft voice she used was effective enough because the taller girl halted her actions.

“You’re being dramatic.”

“No I’m not,” came a gruff voice in return.

“Yes you are. There’s no reason for you to be upset.”

“You held onto this for a month and didn’t tell me anything. But you go and tell Taecyeon, sorry, I mean Taec all about it.”

“Look at me, please?” Moonbyul turned in Yongsun’s arms, finally facing her, but refused to make eye contact. “Look at me, please?” She asked once again, voice softer.

 

Had she known it would be this big of an issue, she wouldn’t have mentioned anything about Taecyeon’s advice. She had simply found it funny that they went through that writing exercise to come to a similar conclusion.

 

Finally, Byulyi’s brown eyes met her own. Gently cupping the senior’s face, Yongsun allowed herself a moment of vulnerability.

“It was embarrassing to share with anyone. I was distracted during the workout, he asked what was wrong, and I mentioned it. That’s all.”

“I’m your best friend,” Byulyi grumbled. “I’m supposed to be the person you share that stuff with.”

“It was embarrassing. You know how I am with stuff like that. I don’t like asking for help or feeling incapable of figuring things out.”

“I don’t care. You should be able to talk to me about anything. I always share things like that with you.”

“You’re right. I’m sorry. Forgive me?”

 

Who knows how long they stood there, staring at each other while Yongsun held Byulyi’s face as if it were the most fragile thing in the world.

“Fine.”

“Thank you.”

“Whatever.”

“Take off your shoes, let’s go finish the movie,” she turned and headed to her room, dragging Byulyi along behind her.

“You missed most of it anyway. We’d have to start it over.”

“Then we’ll start it over.”

“You think I have all night to watch a movie with you?”

“Yes, that’s what I think because you do have all night. Where else do you have to be?” She asked as she hopped into the bed, waiting for Moonbyul to get situated so she could lay on top of her again.

“That’s not the point.”

“It is the point. You’re gonna spend the night anyway, stop complaining.”

“I’m not complaining,” the younger girl mumbled.

“You are. Press play and be quiet.”

“I help you figure your life out and this is how you repay me?”

“By letting you sleep in my bed? Yes, it is how I repay you.”

“You’re seriously so annoyi–”

“Byal-ah, the movie’s starting. Please be quiet, I’m trying to pay attention.”

 

*

 

From: Seungyeon

Be there in 5! 7:27 pm

 

It was the same routine as usual. Seungyeon called her the week before asking what Yongsun was doing the following Thursday. Yongsun told her that her evening was clear and that she’d be happy to join in whatever it was Seungyeon had in mind. That turned out to be a restaurant not far from Seungyeon’s job.

 

Usually, if meeting on a weekday, it meant that Seungyeon, Sirae, and some of their colleagues were enjoying happy hour specials. That was what Yongsun assumed would be happening tonight.

 

That was not what ended up happening.

 

“Hey!” The young professional walked up to her at the restaurant’s bar.

“Hi!”

 

They hugged.

 

“I actually made a reservation, so we can sit at a table.”

“Oh. That’s fine with me. Is Sirae joining later? I didn’t hear anything from her.”

“She’s not coming tonight. It’s just the two of us.”

Seungyeon waved it off like it was nothing, but it wasn’t nothing. It wasn’t something, but it wasn’t nothing.

“Oh. I didn’t know.”

 

Flagging down a hostess, Seungyeon distractedly answered. “Yeah, I wanted to try this place and couldn’t think of anyone else to go with so I asked you.”

“So I’m you last choice?” She joked, trying to play off the nervousness creeping up on her.

“You’re actually one of my first choices, but I was trying to play cool.” The honesty was refreshing, appreciated, and calming. It helped tremendously in getting her to relax.

“Are you– Are you flirting with me?” The manner in which she asked it was very much intentionally dramatized, but part of her was seeking clarity on what exactly was transpiring.

Settled in a table tucked away a corner of the restaurant, Seungyeon was confident and direct. “I am, yes. Is that okay with you?”

 

Contrary to what she expected, the straightforward confession made Yongsun feel even more comfortable. If she asked a clarifying question about what was happening, Seungyeon would answer, this she was sure of. That was reassuring. Reminded her there was nothing to be nervous about. She could go with the flow and be fine. She was attracted to Seungyeon, and Seungyeon was attracted to her. It was fine. Whatever happened or didn’t happen, things would be fine.

 

Smirking and playfully rolling her eyes, she replied, “Yeah, it is. It’s okay with me.”

 

*

 

Dinner lasted for two hours. The tension aside, it was just the two of them chatting each other up as usual. It was fun. It was fine.

 

As with almost all of their weekday nights out, Seungyeon drove Yongsun home and the two sat in the parked vehicle, talking for a bit longer. Things felt normal until their separation for the night inched closer and closer. Yongsun’s stomach was in knots.

 

Would Seungyeon kiss her?

Was this even technically a date for Seungyeon to kiss her?

No one had mentioned it being a date, so it wasn’t a date, then they could just hug goodbye like they usually did and be done with it. Except the night wasn’t like their usual nights out—Seungyeon outright admitted to flirting with her. But that also didn’t necessarily mean anything because people not named Yongsun flirted with others all the time. It was just something people did. It didn’t have to mean anything.

 

“Okay, I’ll let you go now. Thanks for joining me tonight. I had fun. I always do when we hang out.”

“Me, too. It was fun. The restaurant was nice. Thank you for inviting me, Seungyeon.” The formality in her voice made her internally cringe.

“Happy to hear you enjoyed it. I didn’t want to spend another night drinking.”

“It was nice.”

“Cool. Cool.”

“Yup.”

“Okay, so . . . goodnight.”

“Yeah. Goodnight.”

 

The awkwardness getting to be too much, Yongsun laughed, breaking the tension.

“We’re being so awkward,” Seungyeon admitted.

“I know. For no reason.”

“For no reason. I said it before, but I’ll say it again, thanks for joining me tonight. I had a great time.”

“Me, too.” Letting her guard down, Yongsun leaned across the console for a hug, one that Seungyeon happily accepted.

 

As she pulled away, though, she felt lips on her own and freaked out. Internally. She freaked out internally, because on the outside, her lips melded with Seungyeon’s, following the other girl’s lead. Soft, closed lips pressed against hers, so she pressed closed lips against the other’s.

 

Long fingers held her head in place and things escalated. When a moist tongue pressed against her, for a millisecond, Yongsun considered the possibility of denying Seungyeon entrance. Then she remembered that she was in her early 20s, living on her own, and recently focused on having fun and living a little more spontaneously.

 

Here was an attractive acquaintance-friend of hers that enjoyed kissing her. There was no conversation about a relationship, it was just two people that were into each other doing things that people interested in each other did.

 

She welcomed the tongue, met it with her own, and wrapped her arms around Seungyeon’s slender neck. Just like that they continued, reading and reacting to each other.

 

Things eventually tapered out, their heated kiss turning into sporadic pecks, before Yongsun pulled away altogether.

 

“Goodnight.” The voice that left her lips was foreign to them both, huskier.

“Goodnight,” Seungyeon smiled.

Deciding to once again be bold, Yongsun leaned in once more. The way Seungyeon sat eagerly awaiting another kiss thrilled her. She felt on top of the world. She felt good. She felt in control. She was in control, and she loved it.

 

As Seungyeon puckered her lips for one more kiss, Yongsun placed a tender, closed-mouth kiss to the other woman’s left cheek, making sure to maintain eye contact as she pulled away sporting a cheeky smile.

 

Once out of the car, all focus was on making it into the building and away from the eyes she knew were following her every move, an undertaking she successfully accomplished. There was no time to second-guess or freak out over anything that had taken place throughout the night because almost immediately, her phone buzzed.

 

From: Seungyeon

Of course you’d end it like that 😂.

I’ll get you back lol. 10:11 pm

 

For the umpteenth time that night, the tension was broken. Letting out a breath she hadn’t realized she was holding, Yongsun entered her apartment with a smile on her face. Whatever was happening with Seungyeon was nothing serious. Things weren’t awkward because they kissed. They were having fun, living in the moment, going with the flow, and given everything else going on in her life, that was exactly what she needed right now.


Note: Will edit this later. Please don’t hold any errors against me.

Thank you those of you still reading. Funny story for the day: read a post on Twitter about slow burns and how painful they can sometimes be. Some people are dealing with 60+ chapters before main characters even admit they like the other person! By those standards, this story isn’t slow at all. This is barely a burn compared to what others are dealing with. I’m joking … unless … no, I'm joking.

ETA, fun fact: The classes mentioned in this chapter—and all chapters—are real SNU classes!

ALSO, and most importantly, stream 'HIP' by Mamamoo.