Sounds Like Drama

Getting By, Just Barely

Note: There's kissing and whatnot, but I don't think it warrants a full M-rating.


The apology took her by surprise.

 

Truthfully, it was an inconvenience, a wrench in her plans. Yongsun wanted to be upset. Needed to let it out. And after her impromptu trip back to UV the morning after everything, she was ready to do just that. She was ready to confront Moonbyul about the Jiah thing. Was ready to, if need be, scream and fuss and fight about the general lack of consideration she felt the younger woman had for her when it came to situations like the one they found themselves in only hours earlier. She was ready to speak her mind.

 

Then Byul apologized and paid for their lunch.

 

It was a really good apology, but damnit if it didn’t piss Yongsun off even more.

 

She wasn’t yet ready to forgive, and the last thing she wanted was to forget. What a large part of her wanted was to air her grievances in dramatic fashion and make the younger woman sit in the hurt she caused—because, yes, her growing romantic feelings for Moonbyul aside, it hurt tremendously feeling as if her best friend didn’t trust her with certain information. Heeyeon, Wheein, and Hyejin were always up to date on who Byulyi shared beds, couches, and bathrooms with, yet she was always left in the dark. Would it have also hurt to know the details of the athlete’s more intimate dealings with other people? Yes. But at least then Yongsun would know what she was up against and could manage her emotions accordingly. As things stood, she was none the wiser about that part of her best friend’s life. It hurt.

 

“When it comes to you, yes. I pay attention to everything.”

 

“She shouldn’t have brought you into it, and I shouldn’t have created a situation where any of that could have happened.”

 

“I apologized because the whole thing was a mess that I handled poorly. Also, because your opinion matters a lot to me—you matter a lot to me.”

 

Just like that, Yongsun’s resolve crumbled. A cute smile and a few overly‑smooth words made it impossible to continue being upset even though being upset was exactly what she wanted and needed in that moment.

 

Since then, to Yongsun’s confusion, the cute smiles and overly‑smooth words and actions hadn’t stopped. Moonbyul continued throughout the rest of the week, most notably on Tuesday when she showed up at The Center insisting the two eat lunch together and promising to make that meal a permanent part of their weeks from then on. It was now Friday. The athlete had an away game to prepare for and had called Yongsun over to her apartment for help with “an urgent matter”.

“I just got out of class, Byulyi. Why did I ‘seriously need to run here’?”

“I need help with my tie,” the younger woman pouted while holding up the piece of fabric in question.

That is what you called me here for?”

“Yeah. We’re leaving in an hour and a half and I can’t tie it. That’s super urgent if you ask me. Coach is strict about this stuff. If even a hair is out of place, we’d never hear the end of it.”

“Okay . . . but you wore ties for away games last year and managed without my help.”

“Those were clip-ons. This,” she the object in question into Yongsun’s face, “is the real deal.”

 

The Women’s Basketball team had a dress code for all away games: suits. Grey suits, crisp white button-up shirts, navy blue ties, and black shoes. The way her class and work schedules were arranged last schoolyear, Yongsun never saw this outfit in person. Depending on the time she arrived back on campus after a game, if she wasn’t celebrating with teammates, Byulyi would make a quick pitstop at her room to change into something more casual before heading to Yongsun’s apartment. This was the first time the graduate student had the pleasure of taking in the sight before her—she was trying her best not to ogle. Wearing what she was wearing—a few of her shirt’s buttons undone—and with her long brown hair cascading down her back, Moonbyul looked good. Actually, she looked more than good. The athlete looked exceptionally y. Yongsun had to forcefully pull her mind from the gutter when she felt flickers of desire creeping up within her.

 

Moonbyul was none the wiser, still in the doorway prattling on about the stupid tie. Brushing past her, Yongsun headed for Byulyi’s bedroom, carefully placing her bookbag on the desk chair before sitting atop the well-made bed. Moonbyul, of course, trailed not far behind.

“How do you even know that I know how to tie a tie?” The graduate student amusedly asked.

“I don’t,” the senior blushed, “but you’re really smart and you know everything, so I figured you’d know how to tie one of these. It’s not that big of a deal if you can’t. I can ask one of the coaches or someone on the team.”

“Okay. We’ve established that I can’t help you with the tie. Can I go now?”

“Um . . . well . . . there are two more reasons I asked you over. I kind of need a pep talk before today’s game.”

Moon Byulyi would be the end of her.

 

“Isn’t that your coach’s job?”

“Yeah, but I need, like, a special, customized Kim Yongsun pep talk. Those are the most effective.”

As Yongsun laughed off the way her heart trembled at those words, Moonbyul joined her atop the bed, resting her head on the older woman’s left shoulder.

“You’re ridiculous.”

“I’m being very serious right now. It’s my last ‘first game’. My college career is ending. That’s a big deal. Guess I needed some words of encouragement or whatever.” Eyes trained on the desk across the room, Yongsun felt rather than saw the athlete shrug next to her.

“You don’t need any words of encouragement from anyone,” she tenderly the smooth skin at Moonbyul’s chin and jaw. “You’ve proved time and time again that you’re the best of the best and after this summer, you’re even more dangerous of a basketball player than you were last year. I guess it that playing in college is coming to an end, but, honestly, your season hasn’t even officially started yet. Maybe save the dramatics for, like, halfway through the season or something. Or for before the championship game. Or for after actually playing one game first.”

“Ha ha. You’re so funny,” Moonbyul said dryly.

“This is why you shouldn’t ask me for pep talks. I at them. This one was horrible.”

“Mm mm,” Byul gently shook her head, “this was one of your best. Extremely effective. I’m suddenly full of confidence. Ready to tackle any obstacle in my way.”

“,” Yongsun laughed out loud.

“I’m being serious! I really do feel better. Thanks, Yong,” the senior responded, voice dripping with sincerity.

 

Letting a few moments of silence sit between them, Yongsun’s curiosity got the best of her.

“What was the other reason? You said there were two more reasons you called me here. I gave you your pep talk, what was the other one?”

“I missed you. We didn’t see each other yesterday and I didn’t want us to go two days without seeing each other so . . . yeah.”

Still Moonbyul’s face, she didn’t want to fall victim just yet to her friend’s charming ways. “We could’ve seen each other when you got back from your game.”

“I wanted to see you before then.” She spoke with an air of confidence and finality.

“Okay.”

“Okay.”

 

Yongsun had several questions, one being: what the hell was Moonbyul on? The brunette could be flirtatious at times, but this was . . . different, it felt different. Wasting time questioning Byul’s actions would get her nowhere. Not at the moment. Instead of trying to figure out what angle Byulyi was trying to play, Yongsun sat the younger girl’s face until the time came for them both to leave.

 

Moon Byulyi would be the end of her. Did she mention that Moon Byulyi would be the end of her? SNU senior and basketball star Moon Byulyi would be the end of her.

 

*

 

Saturday brought with it some much needed peace and quiet. It had been one week since Midnight Madness festivities, but Yongsun still hadn’t recovered. The Monday after everything, she jumped right back into work and her classes, all of which were challenging. Worthwhile, yes, but so much work.

 

The weekend couldn’t come soon enough.

 

Her plans for the day: sleep, sleep, and more sleep. She and Seungyeon were to hang out that evening, but until then, Yongsun wanted nothing more than to attempt to catch the hours of sleep that slipped away the weekend before.

 

The dull vibrations of her cell against the mattress seemed to have different ideas.

 

Not checking who it was, Yongsun lethargically grabbed and answered the device.

“Hello,” she yawned.

“Don’t tell me you’re still sleeping. It’s past one in the afternoon.”

“Tone the judgment down, Eric. I don’t need or want it.”

“Understood.”

“What do you want,” she asked gruffly. Pulling the covers tighter around her, she awaited a response.

“To check on my friend.”

“Bull. You want to know what happened last weekend.”

“Then why did you ask if you knew what I wanted?”

 

Groaning out loud, the graduate student reminded herself that this was her friend. As annoying as he was, Eric was her friend. She would it up and not get pissy with him simply because his phone call came at an inopportune moment.

“You’re annoying.”

“Everyone’s annoying to you.”

“Do you want the story or not?”

“Shutting up now.”

“Thank you.”

 

Since his slight scolding a few months ago, Yongsun had made sure to call and text Eric more often, keeping him updated on her life and, in turn, staying updated on his. During their last conversation over a week ago, the pair spoke of, among other things, Midnight Madness weekend. Eric was intrigued by Yongsun choosing to spend part of that time with Seungyeon instead of all of her time with Moonbyul.

 

After catching him up on everything that happened, his curiosity about her and Seungyeon skyrocketed.

 

“So . . . the two of you are not together?”

“Correct.”

“But you hookup from time to time?”

“When the mood hits, yes.”

“When the mood hits . . .” he slowly repeated.

“Yes.”

“Okay.”

His tone had something to it.

“What?”

“Nothing.”

“What, Eric? Just say it.”

“I’m just saying . . . she has you all over her social media, and it sounds like you two are pretty cozy.”

“She has all her friends on her social media accounts,” Yongsun defensively shot his accusation down.

“Is she as close with all of them as she is with you?”

“You’re ridiculous.”

“It’s not a bad thing. It sounds like you two are getting along well.”

“We’re friends.”

“And you want it to stay that way?”

“I do. Things are . . . uncomplicated this way. We have fun together without the pressure of anything more. I really like that.”

“Would you consider dating her?”

“I wouldn’t consider dating anyone at the moment.”

 

“If you say so. Anyway, how’s Moonbyul?” He’d been itching to ask that. Yongsun knew it.

“Just told you about her. She’s been having a great time.” Yes, there was some residual bitterness over the Jiah thing. After the apology, Yongsun kept a promise to herself to not hold the situation over Moonbyul’s head but having to repeat the story of what happened did sting some. What did those other girls have that she didn’t? Sunmi, Haena, Jiah, whoever else. What was it about them that made Moonbyul see them as more? That made her attracted to them and not Yongsun?

“Sounds like a touchy subject. Anyway, happy to hear that you two talked things out. A first. Congratulations,” he mocked.

“This is why you’re single. Hope you stay that way.”

“Ouch. I’m single because there’s no one to date and nothing to do in Suwon. But that will change very soon.”

 

Surprised and excited about something finally happening in Eric’s life—he was always “fine” and “working”—Yongsun zipped her lips and listened carefully.

“There’s a high likelihood that I’m moving to Seoul.”

“What?!”

“Yeah . . .”

He’d hit his ceiling at SKKU. Working as a Marketing Manager for five years with minimal salary increases was one burden he silently carried throughout his time there, but he held out hope that his hard work would have him among the names considered for the recently vacated Director of Marketing position.

 

It didn’t.

 

Feeling disrespected and having long been over the limited social options for young professionals in Suwon, Eric looked to his network for help identifying positions that would suit him. The search yielded exceptional results, with him leaning heavily towards one of the options shared with him.

 

“Did it have to be there?”

“There’s nothing wrong with KU. Since when did you buy into that SNU-KU rivalry?”

She had no idea.

 

Still, it felt like a betrayal that he’d be taking a job in Athletics there. “You’re supporting the enemy.”

“The enemy? You don’t even care about SNU sports. You’re just saying this because Moonbyul’s on the basketball team. She’s graduating after this year, so there’ll be no more conflicts of interest after that happens. You can support me and KU wholeheartedly.”

“I’d rather choke.”

“What you do with your partners behind closed doors is none of my business.” After taking a moment to enjoy his stale joke, Eric got serious. “Your feelings for the school aside, you can’t deny it’s a great opportunity. They’re bringing me in to interview for Assistant Director of Marketing. Final round. Putting me up in a hotel and everything.”

“Fancy.”

“Very. My interview is in the morning on Friday, but I’ll be around that night before leaving on Saturday. Let’s hang out! It’ll be an unofficial celebration for my birthday.”

“Next Friday is the first home game of the season. SNU vs. SKKU.”

“Fitting.”

“I’ve been thinking about getting Sirae and Seungyeon to go with the rest of us. Mentioning it to her later tonight, actually.”

“Ooooo, pillow talk. That’s cute.”

“Shut up!” Yongsun laughed. “It’s not like that. But it would be fun with the whole group. You should come!”

“Sounds like drama, but that’s fun, so I’ll be there. I’ll buy the tickets tonight since I imagine they’ll go quickly.”

“That’s smart,” Yongsun absentmindedly agreed. “Wait, why does it sound like drama?”

“You’re bringing former SKKU athletes to watch their old team play against SNU, a school SKKU hates. That sounds . . . messy.”

“Sirae and Seungyeon aren’t like that. They’re chill. It’ll be fine. We can all go out to drink, eat, and let loose after.”

“Was going to make a joke about the letting loose part, but I’ll stay quiet.”

“Please do.”

 

*

 

Both exhausted from the week, Yongsun and Seungyeon came to the mutual decision to spend their Saturday night in. Seungyeon suggested they use her apartment, which was fine by Yongsun—the pair had never hung out there before. It would be a nice change of scenery. The evening, however, didn’t turn out exactly as Yongsun envisioned. For starters, Seungyeon cooked them dinner.

 

She thought they’d maybe order some food before lazing around and letting the night unfold as it wished. Stepping into the decently-sized one-bedroom apartment, the graduate student was pleasantly surprised by the mouthwatering smell of something wafting through the air.

“What is that?” She asked Seungyeon, who had removed her shoes and walked down the short hall to enter the combined living room-kitchen.

“Food,” the taller woman yelled back loud enough so that the sound would meet Yongsun at the apartment’s entrance.

Ridding herself of her shoes too, she walked quickly to meet Seungyeon. “I know, but where did you get it from? It smells so good.”

“I made it,” she nonchalantly answered, attention on adjusting the temperature of one of the mini stove’s burners.

“Why’d you do that? We could’ve ordered something. I would’ve gladly paid for it since you always pay for everything.” She was panicking a little, her voice trembling.

“It’s not a big deal, I promise. I like cooking.”

 

Yongsun’s mind was reeling. People don’t just make meals for others. It was a meaningful act.

“Hey,” Seungyeon approached, holding Yongsun’s chin in her hand. “What’s wrong?”

“I don’t know,” she hedged. “You just . . . didn’t have to do all that. We could’ve ordered something and saved you all this effort.”

“Yongsun. It’s kimchi ramen, not some five-course meal. Don’t get me wrong, I hope you like it, but it wasn’t like I slaved over the stove for hours. We had to eat something, and I didn’t want to order out for the hundredth time this week.”

Her voice was soft, clearly attempting to calm Yongsun down. For the most part, it worked, but try as she might, the graduate student couldn’t completely shake the nagging feeling that told her this was weird. The last person to cook a meal for her was Jinyoung, and it came with him asking her to be his girlfriend. While she doubted Seungyeon would take things to that extreme, this was still a lot to digest. No pun intended. Ultimately though, the blonde set her suspicions aside to enjoy the meal because, well, the food was delicious. Like . . . unexpectedly above average good.

 

After dinner, things loosened up some. It felt, Yongsun thought, like they were getting back to them again. Time flew as the young women made light of the hardships they experienced earlier in the week, both able to help the other find the humor that lay in the awkward conversations had with supervisors or freeloading group project members. The odd vibes from earlier gradually faded into oblivion until Yongsun realized the physical distance Seungyeon had kept between them once they relocated to the living room couch.

“Do I have cooties or something?” She finally gathered the courage to ask.

Scrolling through the channels on her television, Seungyeon took a moment to acknowledge Yongsun’s question. Eyebrows scrunched in confusion, she asked, “Why would you have cooties?”

“Because you’ve been all the way on the other side of the couch ever since after dinner.”

“Oh. I was trying to not make you feel uncomfortable.”

“Why would I feel that way?”

“Because it’s your first time at my place and I didn’t want you to think I invited you here just to make a move on you.”

“I would never think that of you.”

“Still,” Seungyeon shrugged shyly, “didn’t want to chance it. If anything happens tonight, it’ll be because you want something to happen. Not because I made anything happen.”

 

It was easily one the sweetest things anyone had said to her all year. And it immediately brought back the red flags from earlier. They were friends that sometimes kissed and teased each other. That arrangement did not call for the level of thought and preparation Seungyeon was putting in. Things with them were supposed to be easy, spur of the moment. All this extra effort felt indicative of more.

 

“You’re too sweet to be single. You should get a girlfriend.” It was the cowardly way of reminding Seungyeon about where they stood. Because Yongsun was a coward, but a coward that didn’t want to hurt Seungyeon.

“I’ll get one when you get one,” the other girl laughed.

“I don’t want one. I don’t want a relationship right now.”

“Neither do I.”

“You kind of act like you do,” Yongsun hesitantly admitted.

 

Moments of silence passed.

“Yongsun, come here,” Seungyeon called for her.

“What happened to you not making moves on me,” she rolled her eyes, but still stood to walk over and settle in the lap now waiting for her.

“I’m not making a move, I’m clearing things up.” Wrapping her arms around Yongsun’s waist, Seungyeon continued, “Is this about dinner? I thought we moved past that?”

“We did.”

“Okay. Then what’s the problem? Because you’ve made it crystal clear that you don’t want a relationship. I’d have to be out of my mind stupid to try to force you into one. We’re friends. I get it. I’m fine with it.”

“Are you really?”

“Yes, I am. I’m also very fine with the kissing, so . . . you know, we could keep doing that.” Lowering her voice, Seungyeon jokingly whispered, “This is the part where you kiss me.”

“Why do I have to kiss you?”

“Because I promised not to make moves on you tonight. You have to initiate.”

“You’re a clown,” Yongsun gently slapped her shoulder and laughed lightly.

 

As she always did, Seungyeon pierced through the uncomfortable atmosphere by addressing things head on. Something so basic never failed to turn Yongsun on.

 

Leaning in, she left a series of pecks on the brunette’s tantalizing lips before gently on her neck. All the while, Seungyeon let her. She let Yongsun take control. It was liberating, addicting, knowing that her actions affected the woman beneath her so much that moans so freely fell from her lips. A burst of confidence surged through Yongsun’s body at how well she seemed to be doing at taking control.

 

Then Seungyeon gently eased her backwards until her back hit the couch cushions.

 

Then it was lust that shot through her. And Yongsun was fine with that, too.

 

Letting Seungyeon have her way, the graduate student’s breaths grew shallow as the other woman sensually trailed a hand up and down her body. Playing with the hem of Yongsun’s t-shirt, Seungyeon huskily asked, “Can I?”

 

Could she touch her underneath her shirt? Could she take the shirt off completely? Yongsun didn’t know what it was she was asking permission for, but regardless of what Seungyeon was asking, Yongsun’s response would be the same.

“Yes.”

Seconds later, soft lips hungrily crashed onto and a hand crept beneath her shirt to cup one of her bra-covered s. incessantly, Yongsun got even louder as skilled fingers continued massaging her chest and even more skilled lips latched onto her neck.

“Don’t leave a mark,” she breathlessly instructed. “Last time you left a mark.”

“I’m sorry. I must have gotten carried away. Did I get you in trouble with anyone?” Seungyeon sat up slightly.

“Is that your sneaky way of asking if I’m hooking up with other people?” She chuckled.

“I guess it is.” Seungyeon at least had the decency to look embarrassed.

“I’m not.”

“Okay," the taller woman nodded. "As for your earlier point, I’ll make sure to not leave a mark.”

 

There was a definite shift in their actions after that back and forth. More accurately, there was a shift in Seungyeon’s actions. Words escaped Yongsun—the hands and lips caressing her body felt heavenly and rendered her capable of only moans and grunts—but she was acutely aware of how the other woman’s actions became less ravenous and more sensual. The tongue in didn’t hungrily and sloppily roam about, it took its time exploring, occasionally teasing. The hand rubbing her chest went to tenderly hold her head and her hair. Seungyeon softly gazed into her eyes every now and then, asking in hushed whispers if she was okay, if she was comfortable.

 

It was sweet—of course it was, Seungyeon was sweet—and Yongsun enjoyed it. She enjoyed the entire night. But Yongsun couldn’t shake the feeling that a lot of what they ended up doing seemed . . . intimate. Romantic, even. A lot of what they ended up doing seemed to, whether intentionally or not, express thoughts and feelings that couldn’t be verbalized.

 

It worried her. A lot.

 

*

 

“Your girl is really ing good, I’ll give you that. My goodness,” Sirae spoke in awe, mouth slightly agape.

“Ew, look at her proud smile,” Chorong pointed at Yongsun’s face in disgust.

“Do you want me to lie? Of course I’m proud.” She’d never deny how much her heart swelled with joy when others acknowledged Moonbyul’s athletic greatness. She was brilliant at her craft and Yongsun would be damned if anyone said otherwise.

 

As she had predicted, the group outing to SNU’s first home game of the season was a hoot. Along with Wheein and Hyejin, a handful of others joined to bring life to the SNU-SKKU rivalry that wasn’t much of a rivalry. The two young girls, Changsub, and Heeyeon—who was experiencing her first ever game as a spectator—were staunchly pro-SNU. Unabashedly vocal in their support, the group of them found joy in ribbing and antagonizing Sirae and Seungyeon, the lone SKKU fans. Their former university got routed, 65-37, but it was admirable how, in the face of a blowout, Seungyeon and Sirae remained loyal and held out hope. Only now that the defeat was official was Sirae able to grudgingly acknowledge Moonbyul’s talent. Before that, she could only mutter a “this again,” a “are you ing kidding me?”, or “can we try to defend her? What the .”

 

“She’s gotten even better since I last watched her play,” Eric chimed in. He and Chorong dubbed themselves neutral for the evening.

“She has. She works very hard.”

“Are you her PR person, Yongsun,” Changsub joked.

“I’m just speaking the truth,” the graduate student shrugged.

“It’s cute how you brag on her,” he reassured her, slipping away into a conversation that some of the others were having.

The only person not socializing as they waited for the teams to return from their locker rooms was Seungyeon. Actually, outside of cheering for SKKU, she’d been relatively quiet the whole night. Yongsun walked up to the taller woman, playfully covering the phone screen Seungyeon’s eyes were fixed on.

“Hey.”

“Hey.”

“You’ve been quiet today.”

Seungyeon let out an ironic laugh. “There hasn’t been much to say. We got beaten. Badly.”

“That’s fair. Well, at least we’re all going out tonight. We can eat, drink, and forget about it,” Yongsun tried to cheer her friend up. Seungyeon wasn’t the loudest person, but Yongsun had never seen her this quiet.

“True. With this group, I’m sure it’ll be a fun night.”

“You sure you’re okay?”

“I’m sure,” she assured Yongsun, ruffling the blonde’s hair.

 

The two women opted to talk amongst themselves, catching up on the week’s noteworthy moments in pop culture until Coach Lim, the Head Coach of SKKU’s Women’s Basketball team, emerged from the tunnel that connected the court to the locker rooms. Pulling Sirae from a conversation with Heeyeon, the three went to greet their former coach. Given the unfortunate loss her team experienced that night, catching up with her past students seemed the highlight of the night for the seasoned coach.

 

Sharing fun anecdotes with each other for about thirty minutes, Yongsun excused herself from the group when she spotted a familiar brunette making her way through the crowd. Eager to congratulate Moonbyul on a game well done, she jog-walked through the crowd to reach her best friend, surprising the athlete with a firm back hug.

“You scared me. I thought someone was attacking me,” Byulyi said good-naturedly, eyes scanning the room.

“It’s possible. Might be time to get security,” Yongsun slid to Byul’s side, arms still locked around the taller woman’s waist.

“I’ll look into it. Have you seen my parents?”

“I forgot they’d be here. Haven’t seen them but looking forward to saying hi.”

 

Allowing herself to be pulled in every which direction, Yongsun followed behind Moonbyul, a sense of security and safety coursing through her as Byul removed her arm from around Yongsun’s neck and held onto one of her hands instead. As they walked through the crowd, the athlete cleared people out of their way with ease, always making sure that Yongsun was close behind. It was something small, but the way Moonbyul never let her go—even when it would be easier to forcibly move people using two hands—touched Yongsun. For all her immaturity at times, Byulyi always went out of the way to protect her, to make sure she was comfortable. The graduate student wondered if her best friend even realized at times that she was doing it.

 

They eventually found Byulyi’s parents deep in conversation with Wheein, Hyejin, and Heeyeon. Joining the fray, the group’s conversation flowed freely and naturally. The day wasn’t about her, the moment wasn’t about her, Yongsun knew this. Still, though, taking in the scenario in front of her, it was heartwarming and more than slightly surprising to fully grasp how much her life had changed in the past year. It was never something she could have predicted, but it tugged at her heartstrings knowing she’d created her own little family here at SNU. There was her friend group, but even the parents of her friends were there for her. Byulyi’s parents spoke to her with such comfortability. They treated her, as they did with Wheein, Hyejin, and Heeyeon, as if she was one of their own daughters. Park Kyungah complimented her endlessly, taking every opportunity to dote on her.

“Yongsun, look how beautiful you are! You’re growing well. I heard from Byulyi that you’re applying to jobs now?”

“Yes, Auntie.”

“It can be a tough time, but you’re graduating from a top school. You’ll find your way. Don’t stress too much about it.”

“I’ll try not to.”

“You shouldn’t. You’re young and smart and beautiful. I promise things will work out. Are you dating anyone?” The older woman whispered furtively.

Face warming and at a loss for words, Yongsun shook her head.

“You probably want to focus on finding a job first. That’s understandable. When you do decide to date though, make sure to find someone that you are fully compatible with. Someone that treats you well and that you feel comfortable with.”

“I’ll be sure to do that, Auntie,” she chuckled.

“Good. And when the time comes, consider all your options,” Byul’s mom said suggestively.

As awkward as the unsolicited dating advice should have been, Yongsun long ago came to accept that expecting the unexpected from Park Kyungah was the way to go.

 

Just in time, Moonbyul came to her rescue.

“Mom, why are you talking her ear off?”

“We were having a good conversation. Mind your business.”

Resting her forearms on top of Yongsun’s head, the athlete looked for confirmation of this. “Was she bothering you?”

“You’re bothering me,” Yongsun whined, pushing Byulyi off of her. “I’m not your armrest.”

“You could be. You should be. You’re short enough to be.”

“Byulyi, leave Yongsun alone. If you keep bothering her, she won’t take care of you anymore,” Byul’s mom laughed.

“Yes she will. I always annoy her and she takes care of me, just like she annoys me and I still take care of her. It’s our thing.”

 

It’s our thing.

 

She said it so casually. And to her mother of all people. Since when did they have a “thing”?

 

There was no time to further ponder Byul’s weird words. Sirae interrupted, apologizing to Moonbyul’s mom and asking for permission to pull Yongsun away.

“Sorry about that, but Chorong, Changsub, and Eric are ready to go. They sent me to see if you and the others are good.”

“I guess. I think the others are wrapping up their conversations with Byul’s dad. Where’s Seungyeon?”

“She’s still talking to Coach Lim. You know how those two are.” They were, in fact, very close.

Her response dried in as an arm draped around her shoulder.

“You all are leaving now?” Moonbyul pouted.

“We’re about to, yes.”

“Stay.”

“You know I can’t just ditch them,” Yongsun patiently reasoned. “And stop being rude. Didn’t even introduce yourself.”

“That’s your job. Go ahead, be a decent human being and introduce me to your friend.”

“You’re seriously so annoying. It’s not a joke when I say I can’t stand you.”

“You said you have to leave, yet you’re wasting time talking nonsense. Hi, I’m Byulyi. I apologize for Yongsun’s rudeness.”

“Sirae. Nice to meet you,” the third wheel happily returned the pleasantries, but judging by the way Sirae’s eyes bounced back and forth between Moonbyul and Yongsun, the graduate student knew a host of questions would be waiting for her later that night.

“Remember I told you I was a team manager my last year in college? Sirae was on that team.”

“Ohhh. That’s cool.”

 

The urgency to leave long forgotten Sirae fell into a comfortable conversation with Moonbyul about basketball—her past glory days playing in college, her continued casual interest in the sport, her surprise at how good Moonbyul was at it. It was cute how chill they both were even though Byulyi had almost singlehandedly destroyed SKKU over an hour ago. Catching sight of Seungyeon approaching, Yongsun expected the amicable mood to continue.

“Hey. Are you all ready to go?” The question was directed at Yongsun and Seungyeon’s eyes were on the arm that was still nonchalantly resting around her neck.

“Sirae was just asking the same thing.” Yongsun tried her best to act cool, but everything felt off. There was judgment in Seungyeon’s eyes. She couldn’t handle it, but she also couldn’t wriggle out of Byul’s grasp because the younger woman tightened her hold, as if purposely preventing her from escaping.

“Okay.” Clipped and cold.

“Before I forget,” Yongsun nervously started, “Seungyeon, this is Byuly-”

“Moonbyul,” the senior cut her off. Caught off guard by the frostiness, Yongsun looked up to see the athlete leveling a hard stare at Seungyeon.

“Seungyeon. Nice to meet you.”

“I guess.”

What the hell?

 

Clearing , Sirae tried to make things less awkward. “Byulyi and I were having a really good conversation, especially about what a great game she had today.”

“It was okay. If we actually played defense, things would’ve been different. Our help defense was off and our one-to-one marking was lazy. But yeah, you had a good game,” Seungyeon shrugged indifferently.

“They’re a good team but I doubt them playing defense differently would have changed anything,” Moonbyul answered, eyes not wavering.

“I guess we’ll never know for sure, huh?”

“We play them later this season. Pretty sure it’ll be the same result. Feel free to come watch.”

“What’s done is done,” Sirae jumped in. “Yeonie, I’ll get Wheein, Hyejin, and Heeyeon. Why don’t you catch up with Chorong and the others? Byulyi, are you joining us?” Seungyeon didn’t wait to hear the answer. She turned and left right away.

“Thanks for the invite, but no. I’m having dinner with my parents.”

“That’s sweet. I hope you enjoy the time with them. Yongsun, meet us outside when you’re ready, okay? It was nice meeting you, Byulyi.”

“Nice meeting you, too.”

 

Yongsun couldn’t even pretend to understand what just happened.

“What was that?”

“What was what?”

“Your nasty behavior just now.”

“Nasty? Don’t you think that’s excessive?”

“I don’t. That was very uncharacteristic of you.”

“If you say so.”

 

She wasn’t going to get anywhere with Byulyi being purposely obtuse like this.

“Your parents are heading over. I’ll get going.”

Grabbing hold of her arm at the last moment, Moonbyul pulled her close. “No goodbye hug?” She pouted. She ing pouted. There was no logical reason for such a childish action to affect Yongsun as much it did.

 

Against her better judgment, Yomgsun gave Byul the hug she so adamantly wanted.

“Have fun with the group tonight and be safe. Message me when you get home, okay?”

“Okay.”

“I’m serious.”

“I said okay,” Yongsun rolled her eyes before bidding the athlete’s parents goodbye and leaving in search of her friends.

 

She was in her head for most of her walk. The behavior from both Byulyi and Seungyeon was inexplicable. The animosity between them was surprising given how sure she was that the two would get along. They had a lot in common and were both very easygoing people—it didn’t make sense to her.

 

As she was exiting the arena, her pocket vibrated. Fishing her phone out, a message from Chorong was waiting for her.

From: Rongie

We’re right outside the building. 10:19 pm

To: Rongie

Coming now. 10:19 pm

From: Rongie

Cool. Heard from Sirae there was drama 👀 10:19 pm

To: Rongie

Idk about drama, but it was weird, yeah. 10:20 pm

From: Rongie

What’d you expect?

Two people that like you meeting up, ofc it was weird. 10:20 pm

 

Yongsun read that last message just as she caught up to the group so there was no time to respond via text, and too many ears around to answer Chorong in-person, so she tabled it for later and mentally added her roommate to the growing list of people in her life she needed to have a serious sit-down with.


Note: Every time I get to the notes section, I forget everything I planned to say.

Not sure how and where people are finding this story, but to all new readers, welcome and thank you for giving this long story a chance! Updates were supposed to be every weekend, but that has now morphed into every Monday. You’re joining at a great time because I think we’re coming up on some of my favorite chapters? It may change, but according to the map for this story, some of my favorite moments are coming up in later chapters. I hope that many of you will enjoy them, too!