Chapter 15

Dear
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dear Chapter 15

 

Song for this Chapter// dreams, books, power, and wall by Jannabi

“How did we become adults?

Each day is a heavy burden.”

 

Lee SooHyun~

 

My phone was already out, taking pictures of SoMi and her handsome oppa as they affectionately gazed at each other after SoMi hugged him. His hair had grown out, sweeping across his forehead and making him look even hotter and younger. Squealing inside, I snapped photos with my phone before SoMi handed me hers to take a photo. She ran back to his side and smiled for the photos. He too was smiling.

 

“Meet us at our place at 8!”

 

“We’ll bring drinks and snacks!”

 

Yeri and JooHyun left with their families for a late lunch after our graduation ceremony. This time around I didn’t have to include SoMi, for she had her handsome oppa with her now.

 

“I know you want me to move back home, but I want to continue rooming with SoMi. She doesn’t have anyone and she’s a great roommate!” I told my parents over our lunch. My older brother, who recently finished fulfilling his military duty, was too busy shoving food into his mouth to even back up my argument.

 

“We know how skilled SoMi is at housekeeping. We seen how clean your apartment is and we also know how indolent you can be, SooHyun ah. If you agree to contribute more to your apartment by dividing up the household chores and learning how to cook meals other than instant tteokbokki, then we’ll continue to pay your rent.”

 

“I will! I will! Thank you!” I exclaimed, hugging my parents as a way of showing gratitude.

 

Sometimes I couldn’t help but be envious of SoMi. I knew that it wasn’t right to be jealous of your best friend, but when I heard that SoMi was hired by the NIS for a permanent position, I was green with envy. It wasn’t any corporation, but the NIS. People would kill to be employed there. Everything worked out so well for SoMi. She always got good grades and appeared perfect. My parents would often compare me to her, pointing out how put together SoMi was. While my mom would shake her head at me with disdain at my penchant for bright colored sweat pants and tracksuits. Now that college was done, I felt burdened with the new task of finding a job. I needed to become independent from my parents soon enough. SoMi was always so independent. But then again I wouldn’t wish to have experienced her rough childhood.

 

While we were getting ready for our sleepover, SoMi went into the bedroom to change out of her dress and blazer. She joined me at the coffee table, clad in a black shirt and grey sweatpants. It was always easy to differentiate our clothes when doing laundry, for all of my sweatpants were in colorful shades. SoMi owned only muted colors, like black, grey, or navy.

 

I was well on my way to getting drunk when SoMi stopped accepting drinks. I wondered why she always stopped once she reached a certain point. I understood her refusing to drink to prevent herself from making a fool of herself in public, but we were in the safety of our home and with our closest, trustworthy friends. Even if she did get hammered, nothing bad would come out of it. We would all get hammered together. Even after four years of being best friends, SoMi was an enigma to me at times.

 

“Oh come on! SoMi, you deserve this. You need to loosen up! You’re always so perfect and put together. It doesn’t hurt to let it all go once in a while! Huh? Let’s drink.” I giggled, filling her wine glass with more wine. SoMi looked at me hesitantly before she brought the glass to .

 

“If you could switch lives with me for one day, you would be scrambling to return to yours within an hour. You have no idea how bleak my mind is.” SoMi told me in her buzzed state as she was slightly slurring her words.

 

“I still wish I was like you sometimes.” I confessed, sloppily bringing the wine glass to my mouth.

 

 

Jung SoMi~

 

“Why me?”

 

“The Intelligence Director thought that you would make a valuable asset to the team with your past experience as an Ant. For you, this isn’t just work but something more. That makes a difference. Welcome to the team, Intelligence Analyst Jung SoMi.” I walked back to TaeSik’s car with a blank expression. My eyes slowly blinked as I felt his curious stares.

 

“I’m your hoobae now,” I announced, fighting the urge to sweep his bangs out of his eyes. My fingernails dug into my palms as I clenched my hands. “Since we’re friends, can I drop the honorifics with you?” I asked him, tilting my head and inching my lips upward into a slight smile.

 

“Sure, SoMi.” My lips broke out into a full-blown smile at his reply and I could feel the corners of my eyes crinkling up too. Once I unbuckled my seat belt, I leaned across the glove compartment and threw my arms around his neck, giving him a parting hug. With my chin resting on his shoulder, I smiled at the feeling of his arms around me. If only I could stay like this for longer. Then my smile faded. I knew I wanted more than a friendship with him. But this would have to suffice for now.

 

The sight of the decorated apartment made me stop in my tracks as my purse fell off my shoulder. The graduation balloons and flowers that my friends were gifted decorated the kitchen countertop and Yeri was on a step stool, taping a congratulations sign onto the wal

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter