Finale

Dear
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dear Final Chapter

 

Thank you for reading this story. After watching the film I became so curious as to how SoMi’s life would turn out. This was a character study of Jung SoMi. As I dealt with the topic of PTSS within this story I hope that I was able to raise awareness and compassion. I hope you all enjoy. I have two AU chapters that will be posted that depict what I want the sequel to actually portray. Thank you for reading!

 

 

Lee SooHyun~

 

The radiant sunlight streamed in through the large restaurant windows while the pillar heaters kept us warm inside. JooHyun, Yeri, and I scanned the menu as we waited for SoMi who oddly happened to be running late. SoMi and I were still living together and I thought that we would be meeting up with our friends together. But SoMi said that she had to go somewhere and told me that she’ll meet up with us. While we waited, we took turns taking photos to post on our social media. The winter sunlight offered the perfect lighting.

 

“Hey guys! Sorry I’m late.” SoMi’s ebony hair grazed her collarbones as she pulled out a chair and sat down.

 

“You cut your hair. It looks really nice.” JooHyun complimented SoMi on her new haircut. It’s been a year since we all graduated university and we were sadly too busy to meet up often. I found employment at a nonprofit call center after SoMi linked me to the organization she volunteered at. My psychology degree was effectively put to use now.

 

It was just like old times. We were too busy switching between eating and talking. I glanced to the side, seeing SoMi giggling at a funny story Yeri was telling. I couldn’t exactly lay a finger on it, but she seemed different in a good way. She was more open and her energy was genuinely enthusiastic. In fact, SoMi was the one who texted us and suggested that we meet up today. Usually she was the one apologizing for not being able to make it whenever we went out. She was the busiest one out of all of us. Her work at the NIS was full time and demanding. She often came home late, citing work as the reason.

 

“How’s job hunting?” I asked Yeri, who rapidly chewed her food before answering. JooHyun and SoMi giggled at the sight, loading their plates with more food. Yeri shook her head, ranting about how her parents were constantly on her case about finding work and feeling like she was falling behind.

 

“It’s okay, Yeri. There’s no deadline for anything. The pressure to accomplish things at a certain age is simply a social construct. Don’t worry about it.” I assured and Yeri smiled in response.

 

“I’ve been going to several interviews. I’m still waiting on a couple for results. Ahh guess who I saw at one of my interviews?” JooHyun asked, inciting our curiosity. All our attention was toward JooHyun, waiting for her to reveal who the person was.

 

“Nam WooHyun.”

 

“Ugh. Don’t even bring up that . I still can’t believe I dated him.” SoMi’s thin lips formed a scowl, causing me to laugh at her reaction.

 

“Let’s hope he fails his interview.” Yeri joked, making me laugh even harder. Once lunch was finished, we took out our wallets to pay when SoMi grabbed the check. She only grinned as she paid, telling us to pay for the second round at our favorite café for desert. We pulled on our coats and left for the café.

 

“How’s work at the call center?” SoMi asked, taking a bite of the cheesecake slice. I leaned back in the chair, playing with the ruffled sleeve of my sweater to gather my thoughts.

 

“I finally understand how draining it could be. But it is incredibly rewarding, hearing the callers express their gratitude for the simplest thing. I’m not even solving their problems for them. I’m only listening to them and giving them a safe and nonjudgmental outlet to evaluate their issues.”

 

“Wow. That’s great. SoMi, you used to volunteer there right?” SoMi nodded at JooHyun’s question. We sipped on our coffees and decaffeinated tea and continued catching up. One second we were all laughing till our stomachs hurt and then we were nodding in silent contemplation the next. SoMi hugged Yeri and JooHyun goodbye before we got on a bus to go home.

 

“Even though you’re my friend, you’re really incredible SoMi,” SoMi gave me a curious look at my sudden comment after closing the door to prevent the cold air from infiltrating the house. “You’re now working at the NIS. You put yourself through college by taking on multiple part-time jobs. You can even make your own side dishes and you volunteered at a call center for a whole year on your own will. I mean it’s my job and it can be hard to love it at times.”

 

SoMi’s blinking eyes and tilted head made it clear that she was oblivious to how impressive she was. It perplexed me how she didn’t take pride in her attributes. If I were SoMi, I would be boasting about being employed by the NIS to everyone. However SoMi didn’t recognize her accomplishments.

 

“I wanted you to know that. You’re like my role model.” SoMi wordlessly pointed at herself with widening eyes, seeking confirmation from me. I nodded at her. Her face fell and she st

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter