Mystery

KO One Re-Live Pt.2

Da Dong, Ya Se, Xiao Yu, Yu Yan and Wu Xiong were sitting at Duan Chang Ren's stall with their kids, Yu Er and Li Ming. They were munching on cookies as they conversed. "Duan Chang Ren, why is your stall so much bigger than before? And it's out in the open!" Ya Se spoke as he carefully passed a cookie to his daughter who sat on Wu Xiong's lap.

At his comment, Duan Chang Ren began to cry and placed the back of his hand over his forehead as though he was distressed, "Well that's because I'm losing customers to... Little Friend Ding Yu Yan!" Xiao Yu chuckled, "Duan Chang Ren, when did you ever have customers except us?" he asked, causing an arrow to mentally stab the older man in front of them. Duan Chang Ren went on his knees as though he was in pain, "Ding Xiao Yu, little friend, when did you become so hurtful!" he cried.

"If you want I can promote your stall when my bakery is refurbished," Yu Yan offered, "And I can also supply you with some goods because, Duan Chang Ren," she paused and looked him in the eye, "Your cookies ." Duan Chang Ren fell onto the floor in pain after being shot through the heart mentally. Wu Xiong giggled, "Duan Chang Ren, they're not bad," she reassured him, "Xiao Ming Ming seems to like them."

"Li Ming doesn't know the different between tasty and disgusting," Da Dong commented before Li Ming spat out chewed bits of cookie at him. His eyes widened and slowly began wiping his face with a handkerchief, "Or.... maybe she does..."

"That's what you get, Egomaniac," Ya Se laughed with a smirk. "I appreciate your offer Yu Yan, little friend, but I won't be Duan Chang Ren if I don't sell ny unique recipies," Duan Chang Ren told Yu Yan as he remained flat on the floor.

"You mean dodgy recipes," Da Dong corrected with a slight roll of his eyes and a smile.

"So what did you put in these cookies anyway?" Xiao Yu inquired as he inspected a specimen. From the floor, Duan Chang Ren beamed at them, "Well, I'll tell you my secret ingredient but you mustn't tell anyone," he replied.

"I don't think anyone would want to know," Yu Yan stated.

"Crushed cow bones and lizard livers!" the stall owner exclaimed happily, causing the faces of his customers to go green in disgust. Ding Xiao Yu let out a sigh of relief as he hadn't eaten one yet and then put down the cookie specimen, "That's not surprising," he muttered, pushing the cookie away from him. Da Dong gagged, "Duan Chang Ren, you're not Xiong Ge! Why did you do this to us?" he wailed before sighing.

 

As Duan Chang Ren stood up again, he replaced his playful face with a serious expression. "So what brings the-" he stopped midway and then began counting them, "-seven! So what brings the seven of you here today?" he asked.

"Aiyo, can't we just come to see a good friend?" Da Dong asked, chuckling. Duan Chang Ren crossed his arms and looked at them all before Yu Yan interrupted, "We came to ask whether you know anything about the recent dimension quake," she spoke bluntly. Duan Chang Ren smiled, "Ah, so that's what it is," he chuckled.

"Do you know anything?" Ya Se asked, "This one seems like a special one. And it happened right after the four of us," he gestured to his brothers and Yu Yan, "had the same dream," he finished.

"Then that must be something you consult with the Time Keeper," Duan Chang Ren replied.

"Time keeper?" Yan Yan repeated quietly as she and Shen Ling approached the stall. Duan Chang Ren looked up and saw the two younger girls and smiled. He quickly looked back at Ya Se, "You should find my brother, Hei Long, he will be more helpful," he quickly said in a low voice, "I have customers." He then looked back at Yan Yan and Shen Ling, causing Da Dong to turn around. "Li mama!" Da Dong beamed with a grin the moment he saw Yan Yan, "Long time no see!" Everyone except Yan Yan gave him a funny look of confusion. "Li mama?" Shen Ling echoed, giving her cousin a suspicious glance. Yan Yan smiled at them all, "Hello Classmate Wang," she greeted before looking at Duan Chang Ren and bowing in acknowledgement. "Classmate?" Shen Ling imitated again in confusion. "Ah!" Yu Yan exclaimed suddenly, "You were probably classmates when my brother went back to Zhong Ji Yi Ban," Yu Yan guessed and the younger girl nodded. "So that probably means your name isn't Li Mama," Ya Se added and Yan Yan nodded. "Egomanic, I think you need to take Chinese lessons," he laughed.

"Hello, I'm Li Yan Yan and this is my cousin, Li Shen Ling," Yan Yan then introduced herself to the adults who smiled at her. "Excuse me," Shen Ling spoke up slowly, "...I couldn't help but hear you talking about a time keeper," she slowly spoke, "Who is the time keeper?" Ya Se paused, giving Duan Chang Ren a nervous glance. "Uh, it's just a storybook character in a book I read to my daughter last night," he lied with a smile. Shen Ling nodded in understanding.

"So what brings you here, little friends?" Duan Chang Ren asked as the adults stood up to leave. "We heard you were selling cookies," Shen Ling explained.

"Oh, you don't want to buy his cookies," Yu Yan quickly cut in, "My cookies are better." Shen Ling raised a brow at Yu Yan, "You must be the Yu Yan Jie that Qiu Qiu was talking about," she replied and Yu Yan nodded. "Qiu Qiu sent you?" she asked and Shen Ling nodded. Xiao Yu chuckled, "Qiu Qiu can't go a day without your cookies, can she?" Yu Yan smiled at the two younger girls, "My shop is closed right now but there are still packs of cookies inside. If you don't mind coming with me, then I can give you some," she told them.

"Isn't your shop closed?" Yan Yan inquired.

"It is but I have to clear out the inside for it to be repaired," she explained, "And I was on my way there just now."

"Then we'll trouble you with that then," Shen Ling responded politely and with a smile.

"No way, I need to get rid of those cookies anyway," Yu Yan chuckled.

"Yu Yaaan! You could have given some to us!" Da Dong complained, causing Yu Yan to roll her eyes. "You're already so fat from eating my goods, Golden Monkey!" she snapped at him, "I hope Lei Ting makes you run around the whole of Taipei to lose all that fat!" Worried, Da Dong quickly pulled out a mirror and stared at his face, pinching his cheeks, "Am I really that fat?" he questioned, "I don't see it over my handsome face."

"Ya Se, surely Da Dong should have been the Narcissist," Wu Xiong giggled, earning a pout from her husband's best friend.

"Anyway, we'll be off now," Yu Yan told them, picking up Yu Er and leading Yan Yan and Shen Ling away. She then looked at Ya Se in the eye, "Don't forget to do that thing," she told him and he nodded.

...

 

"Yu Yan Jie, how long will it take for your shop to be completely repaired?" Shen Ling inquired as the three girls approached the shop. "Hopefully not too long," Yu Yan responded as she narrowed her eyes at the entrance of her shop - something felt a bit odd. She slipped under the red and white striped tape that surrounded the small building and carefully climbed throu the large hole in her store's door and into the shop. Shen Ling and Yan Yan followed quietly. When Yu Yan's eyes fell upon the inside of her shop, she knew her feelings had been correct - something was wrong. Her shop on the inside was miraculously repaired as though everything was new - too new. Yu Yan stared at the counter and then at all the furniture. "It's all new," she muttered in confusion. "I thought your shop was destroyed?" Shen Ling asked and Yu Yan turned her head to look back at her. "That's what I thought too." She responded with her brows furrowed. She then walked over to the counter and gently brushed her fingers over the squeaky clean surface, "It looks exactly like how it was when I first opened this shop," she explained, before turning to stare at the pale pink walls, "When I first bought this place the walls were pink and i hadn't bothered to paint them blue until a few months ago. I also replaced the furniture... so why is everything back to how it was before?" Her explanation had come out as a question of confusion instead and she was really confused. "Does that mean you can open for business again?" Yan Yan asked in the hum of silence. Yu Yan didn't reply, instead she headed into the room at the back of the shop.

"Who did this?" she asked no one in particular. She then noticed that her daughter's room remained wrecked from the attack last night - everything remained untouched and broken. 'Why has the shop returned to what it looked like in the past but this room stayed the same as yesterday?' Yu Yan wondered as she put her hands on her hips, 'The entrance is still boarded up as well so why did whoever did this, just fix the store and not anything else?'

"Yu Yan Jie, is it okay we can buy some cookies now?" Shen Ling asked from inside the shop, "Class is starting soon." Yu Yan came out of her trance and nodded, hurrying back into the shop. She quickly brought out a packet of cookies and and box of cupcakes, "These are on me," she told them with a smile. "Really?" Shen Ling asked, surprised.

"Why not?" Yu Yan replied with a small smile.

"Thank you, Yu Yan Jie," Yan Yan thanked as she tucked the bags into her school bag. Yu Yan's smile then faded, "I have to clean up here, I won't see you out," she told them.

"Okay, bye Yu Yan Jie," Shen Ling responded before she and Yan Yan left the store.

Once they left, Yu Yan picked up a broom and began slowly sweeping up the dust and bits of broken furniture in Yu Er's room. "Who fixed my shop?" she whispered to herself as she continued to clean.