Chapter 3

Who really are you?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After the complicated and exhausting episode of the happenings, the interns found themselves inside the conference room along with the 4 doctors, their seating arrangements still the same from the first time they entered the dark room.

Dr. Bae was looking at them silently- which they bowed their heads into- but everyone could tell there's so many words into the silence.

Dr. Bae is not subtle about it either as she openly scrutinized them with keen eyes.

The silence had been going on for eternity- 3 minutes in real life- and the interns couldn't take it any longer.

"SORRY MS. BAE." They all stated in sync while bowing their heads.

The doctor remained silent and they knew they are damned.

"You already saw how a patient react over.... an issue."

The way she trailed her words are kind of scary yet still sounded so smooth as ever.

Even without looking, Minju can feel the eyes on her.

'Great, now I am the issue.'

"You see, patients tend to be aggressive and I expected and trusted you to help them, not let them."

"Dr. Bae, we are just as confused. I am a psychology major and it still confuses me on why Ms. An reacted that way. It looked like she was triggered by something and yet we didn't think there's anything that can be triggering at that time."

All eyes went on Wonyoung's brave act of speaking.

The older members of the team couldn't help but think she's really cool being her psychologist smart self.

"You aren't still lectured about Yujin, I see."

Dr. Bae looked at Dr. Kim, who nodded in response.

This made the interns look at each other. So they basically still need to know more and it certainly is a big help, really.

Minju knew she have to listen very well since she is much part of the 'issue'.

And also for some other reasons.

"Your lecture for today should be about a special case of Yujin's condition. But this happened."

They all bowed down in shame and apology again. But there's still a portion of them that tells them it's nothing near their fault and is purely because of an obnoxious patient- blame Chaewon for that.

'Why do we have to suffer because of her? What's so special to her anyway?'

Chaewon rolled her eyes subtly and didn't notice Minju seeing it. The younger can only furrow her brows in confusion.

"Okay then. I think it'll be better if I explain?"

The interns nodded at Dr. Bae and listened to every words intently.

"Yujin was brought here when she was 10. She was, unfortunately, admitted with MPD. Apparently, her condition went well because of the treatments and is still doing fine. Until now. This is the first aggression she had over 5 years."

At the mention of the last part, Dr. Bae looked at Minju, eyes unreadable and the intern can only tear her gaze away.

She think it's even better if Dr. Bae look at her mad than looking at her with a very blank and unreadable eyes.

"She was one of those who were here for a long time and is such a very precious patient for us. She' our kid." Dr. Kang stated in her soft voice.

It's really warm and the interns found themselves easing a bit.

"And we can't allow something wrong to happen." Dr. Park is really unlike Dr. Kang.

She's way colder and more unfiltered and so, the interns were back to being scared chicks again.

"Uhm Dr. Bae?" Sakura raised her hand, which earned a smile from the doctor.

The others looked at her blushing face and almost facepalmed.

"You better not ask something weird or else." Minju can hear the faint voice of Chaeyeon.

"H-how old are you?"

Chaeyeon closed her eyes. If this isn't such a life-changing ang hell of a scary scene, they'll probably laugh their asses off. But damn, Sakura just have to ask the highest positioned doctor in the whole ward about her age in a middle of a smart thing discussion.

'Oh god, bury me please.'

"I am 29."

"So you were here ever since 2013 right? And so, you were 22 that time. Ms. An had been here ever since she's 10 which means you both had been together for 7 years. But Dr. Bae, isn't that long enough to be discharged from here? And you told us yourself that she's doing fine."

Everyone are shocked, even the doctors. But the interns are way more flabbergasted.

Who knew Sakura have this mathematician inside of her games addicted body and red face (?).

She's amazing doing all the maths and the observations really. It just mean that she's listening -which is a very rare scene.

"I'm amazed at you Miyawaki right?"

Sakura was beet red again while nodding. Minju can basically hear her screaming inside.

"You were right. I was here when i'm still 22 and about Yujin's dischargement, the board holds the records of it, so me myself isn't sure." Sakura just nodded even though the interns pretty sure know the doctor know something and is just hiding it from them.

But they still need to listen.

"Anyways, I have this one favor from all of you."

"What is it, Dr. Bae?"

"I wanted you to start your shifts tomorrow."

The interns all went 'eh?' at the sudden announcement.

They are all still so oblivious of many things and they aren't sure if they can do a good job or not.

Handling mentally disabled patients are way harder than the other patients and they aren't ready after a day of lecture for it.

"But Dr. Bae, isn't it still so early to do so? We only had attended 1 class and normally, the shifts starts after a week or 2 for us to be able to do a great job." The interns nodded at Eunbi's statement.

On the other wards and departments, having their shifts after a week is already hard, what more if it's only days? Can this meeting even be counted as one?

"I believe in your abilities."

"But Dr. Bae-"

"First of all, you Kwon, have a nice leadership and team management. As a team leader, the responsibilities are always on you and you kind of remind me myself when I was still an intern like you."

This made the leader silent, heart so touched as such words from a prominent doctor on this field- and probably in the whole Gwangju.

"You Miyawaki, is such a good observer. A bit reckless but still an observer. An observer like you can easily manage patients' behaviors which is an essential thing for this ward.

Sakura was so beet red again like she just couldn't get any redder.

"Choi is a great help for patients' mood. The happier the atmosphere is at the room, the more the patient becomes calm and so, stop their aggression before it could even happen."

Yena have a shy smile at the compliment.

"Lee resembles Dr. Kang so much. Warm, thorough and careful. Interns like you are a big help for those patients who are sensitive and can easily get mad."

Chaeyeon bowed her head with a smile.

"Kim Chaewon is a psychologist student. You aren't that talkative but I know you're smart and probably have a lot in mind as of the moment."

Chaewon stayed silent, still looking at Dr. Bae without any emotions at all.

'What's wrong with her?' Minju found herself asking.

"Kim Minju. You are the intern. Pretty and calming to look at. Patients will surely like you."

Minju doesn't know what those words truly mean but one thing is for sure. Something's not right with that. It's a huge shift from everyone else's descriptions and honestly, it creeped her out.

Also, Dr. Bae's eyes pierced holes into her own a lot longer and scarier than the others.

"Yabuki, a smart intern too. Your ability to adapt with the environment is just as surprising as your wide knowledge to the culture of the place you are in."

"Honda, just like Lee, is warm and comforting."

"Jo, you are sweet and patients needed that the most in here. You look like you can offer people love and care no matter what or who they are."

"Jang, you are as smart as Chaewon. You are actually really brave to speak for your team and a psychology major at that."

"Dr. Bae, why are you sugar-coating your words for the sake of our approval?"

Everyone looked at Chaewon as if she had gone mad. She was boring holes into Dr. Bae's head, arms crossed and voice serious.

"W-what?"

And when they thought they couldn't get any more shock,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter