Favorite drink

Sunsets and Coffees

"There we go." Sana smiled proudly after putting the finishing touch in her strawberry shortcake. Satisfied with the cake, she carefully placed it inside the large tupperware.

Cooking and baking has always been Sana's favorite thing to do. It's what she does during weekends to pass the time, or to clear her mind. Living on her own made her become more into it, that sometimes she makes more than she can consume. Her dates with Jeongyeon made a good use of her hobby. Not only she gets be with her favorite person, but she also gets to share her cookings with her. She looked forward to Saturdays even more because of this.

Aside from the cake, Sana made Jeongyeon's favorite tteokbokki as well. She packed it along with the carton of juice and the slices of fruits she never forgets, and finally she was good to go.

As she heard the knock on her door she's been waiting, she took one last look at herself through the mirror. She didn't dress too much, because she knew, whatever she wears she'd have to cover it with a coat anyway. Satisfied with everything, she grabbed her bag and basket and opened the door.

"Thanks for waiting." She said to Mark, who smiled and immediately assisted her in carrying her basket.

Mark is her friend and co-teacher who lives in the same building as her. He owns a car which he drives to visit his parents every weekdays. Sana being his friend, would always ask him to give her a lift since they're heading to the same direction anyway, and will just drop her off at the bay. In exchange, she'll treat him lunch on Monday, but eventually it just became the norm. Mark treated it as a quality time with Sana and vice versa.

.

On the car, Sana noticed that her friend is awfully quiet today. Usually, they would talk about everything that happened in school that week, while Sana would occasionally shift their topic to how much excited she is to see Jeongyeon again, but Mark seemed to be in deep thought today and the atmosphere inside the car is becoming heavy due to the silence surrounding them that she couldn't start even a simple conversation. He also looked tensed, like there's something he wants to say but is hesitating. She can also feel his occasional side glances, but she doesn't know when's the right time to ask what's the matter.

By the time they arrived, Sana knew she had to break the silence, or no one will.

"Hey, uh... Thanks again for the lift. I guess I'll see you on Monday." Sana said. But Mark didn't react, he just keep staring outside.

"Mark?" She attempted to get his attention with a tap on his shoulder this time, but immediately retracted her hand when he finally spoke.

"This place looks peaceful." Sana assumed he was referring to the the sea since he's facing towards it. "Can I stay here for awhile?.. I-I'll leave before your date comes, of course."

She find it odd. He never asked to check the place before, but nevertheless, Sana couldn't see why not.

"Sure." She smiled.

.

She let Mark by the pier to be with himself for a moment, while she checks on her basket, especially the cake to see if it got ruined. Thankfully it's still intact.

Being friends with Mark since college, she's confident that she already knew the guy too well. That is why she's also confident that her hunch to what's bothering him is also right. She couldn't take it anymore, and finally joined him.

She sat beside him on the edge, but didn't deep her feet like she used to since the water is freezing.

"Come on. I'll listen." She gave her an elbow nudge, and Mark sighed in defeat. Her friend really knew him too well.

"I just-" He released another sigh. "I thought I could just hide it forever but, everyday I just keep getting closer and closer to my limit."

Sana is indeed right with her assumption but still let Mark continue.

"Back when I started to realize this, I never really had any problem just keeping it to myself. I lived normally just like everyone else. But suddenly it just became suffocating. It's hard to breathe and I feel like being cramped up inside a small space, and talking to people is becoming unbearable."

Sana nodded. "Uhuh, go on."

"I don't know." He hugged his legs close to his chest. "Probably because I know what I'm showing to them isn't really me. And I feel like the words I say is becoming more and more limited as my true self becomes more and more difficult to suppress. I'm aware these are just chains holding me back and I want to get out of it but, you know?.. I'm scared."

"Scared they might distance theirselves from you? Scared of the drastic change that's gonna happen?"

"Yeah..." Sana pointing those out didn't really help and only made him feel even worse. He hugged his legs tighter. "I'm also scared to be criticized. I'm afraid of the judgements I'll receive if I did come out, 'cuz you and I both know, being like this isn't really well accepted in this society."

"I understand." Sana placed her hand on his shoulder, letting him know that she can relate and she's sympathizing, but Mark took it the wrong way.

"No offense, but I don't think you get it." It felt to him as if Sana is undermining what he's going through, because how can a girl like her who's almost every guy's favorite, understands what it's like. "You can be with your guy out in the open, and blatantly show him off to others or shout how much he means to you on the top your lungs whenever you are, wherever you are, without getting snide glances and hurtful remarks. So, I don't think you understand, Sana."

Sana was taken aback. All this time she's been talking about Jeongyeon, he thought she's a guy. Sana then immediately fumbled through her phone.

"You mean, her?" She showed her a photo of them in their last week's date where Jeongyeon is smiling goofily while Sana is around her arms looking so comfortable. She couldn't help but smirk as she watch her friend loss for words. "I believe I've mentioned her countless times already."

"What?!" He recalled the time she mentioned her, and it was true. She did mentioned her a lot of times. Everyday, to be exact. "Well, all you ever said was 'I miss Jeongyeon', 'Jeongyeon is so adorable', 'Jeongyeon is so funny' Jeongyeon this, Jeongyeon that, but you never mentioned anything about her being a girl."

"I didn't realize it since I didn't really think her being a girl would matter. I mean, Whenever we're on our own world, all I can think of is how happy I am and how much she means to me.. So, Why would I worry about people that don't matter when I'm having the best time with my favorite person." She squezed her friend's shoulder in attempt to console him, and slowly he started to loosen up. "That kind of happiness is pretty hard to find these days. Don't give that up just to ease other people that doesn't even mean anything to you."

He always thought there was really nothing wrong with how he feel. He just simply liked someone who is, coincidentally, is also a guy, but what's up with that?

"Thank you. I feel a lot better now. You really are the best." He rest his head on her shoulder, and Sana didn't say a word for a while, just relishing the affection her friend is giving to her.

"So, who's the lucky guy?"

"Jackson." He giggled at the thought of him but most importantly, happy how he said his name to other people with ease for the first time.

"No way! I didn't expect that. Our co-teacher?" Sana's eyes widened and Mark nodded in response. "Well, I guess you two aren't bad... But he better not mess this up. He's already very lucky to be dating my friend."

"I think Jeongyeon is luckier." Mark snuggled closer.

It is a beautiful sight to see friends overcoming struggles together and making their bonds stronger. But for Jeongyeon, who little did they know is just a few distance behind them, isn't aware of what's going on.

For Jeongyeon, she finally realized the downside of having an indefinite relationship. Feelings she never felt before is quickly consuming her yet she couldn't do anything about it but stare at the sight, helplessly. Her mind is getting clouded with all the emotion. She wanted to shout and push the guy to the freezing water, but that's not her. And so, she just ran away, for it is the only rational thing she could think of at the moment.

---

In front of the mirror, Mina couldn't decide what to choose between her purple or pink coat for her weekly hangout with Jeongyeon. She's been alternating between the two for half an hour now as if it's a matter between life and death.

An unexpected doorbell then rang. She threw the coats on her bed and dragged her feet to the door, pissed. She guessed it was probably the annoying guy next door who kept on borrowing her vacuum cleaner, because other than him, no one really bothers her at this hour... But surprisingly, it was actually her blonde friend.

"Hey!... You?" Mina quickly hid behind the door.

"You're so startled as if I caught you ." She rolled her eyes and casually went inside straight to Mina's couch to lie down.

Jeongyeon was right, she acted as if she was caught . She's only on her cycling shorts and sports bra, but it was just Jeongyeon. Probably it was the unexpected timing. She was too early than their usual time.

"Jeong, Are you drunk?"

Jeongyeon didn't say a word, but it wasn't needed anyway. The way she smelled and look says it all. And also the canned beer she's holding is obvious.

"You drove here drunk? What were you thinking?" She hit the blonde on the head a little too hard, it made Jeongyeon winced.

"Ouch! Hey! I didn't drove drunk. I was already infront of your building when I drank. Geez!" The blonde reasoned, taking another sip from the can.

It's always Mina who is a mess and Jeongyeon is the one helping her with that mess. For Mina, not only it was new, but it also hurts her. Seeing her friend in that state, who did nothing but help her in the past few months. She knew it was her time to do something for her this time.

"How much did you drink?" She took the can from the blonde. Jeongyeon just continued to stare blankly. "And also, why are you drinking?"

Jeongyeon didn't respond.

"Did something happened between you and Sana?"

Still no answer, but her eyebrow furrowed at the mention of the name and so Mina knew her guess is right.

"Umm.. You know what? Why don't we take this day to just rest? Let's hang-out again some other time instead."

"I feel splendid, Mina. Just give me a little time to sober up and I'll take you wherever you want. Later or Tomorrow morning, whenever you like."

"Splendid? You look terrible, Jeong." She ran her hand through Jeongyeon's unkept but soft blonde hair and just held it like that.

The blonde's sad and tired eyes locked with Mina as she spoke. "I look disgusting?"

"N-no! I didn't mean it like that. It's just that for other people you'd probably look like a person who needs to get her together."

"How 'bout you? What do you think of me?"

"Umm..."

Jeongyeon's vision is swirling. Her eyes gradually shut and eventually drifted into sleep with Mina's hand still on hers.

.

The sky is already dark when Jeongyeon woke up, finally on her right mind but still feeling a bit nauseous. It's already 11pm when she checked the time from her phone and seeing along with it are piled up missed calls and messages from Sana that reminded her everything.

She's still hurt but atleast now she's sober enough not to do anything stupid. Plus, Mina is with her and will definitely prevent her from doing so.

The younger one is at the table beside the glass door separating her living room from her veranda. She's having her usual mug that is probably coffee to fight off the cold. The blonde joined her.

"You good now?" Mina asked.

"Mhmm." She nodded. Although a little vague, she does remember how she behaved earlier when she arrived, and Jeongyeon can't help but feel ashamed.

"Hey, I'm sorry 'bout earlier." Jeongyeon said, her eyes on her hands.

"It's okay. It was just a little surprising. That's all." She said then took a sip. "Coffee?" She raised her cup but the other girl shook her head. "How about hot chocolate? Although we still have to go to the convenient store to buy."

"Yeah, I think I could use some. I also need to get something in the car." And so they put on their coat and head out.

After they bought packs of hot chocolate, Jeongyeon proceeded to her car while Mina waited for her infront of the building. Jeongyeon was taking unusually long, which isn't really a problem if it wasn't so cold, But then another problem came when a stranger approached her smiling wickedly.

"Feeling lonely, miss?" He said, stepping even closer to her. Mina showed not even the slightest hint of fear because she's not scared at all. This kind of thing happened to her countless times already and she handled it all just fine.

"What do you want with my girlfriend huh, pal?" A deep and serious voice said from her behind. Hand on the younger one's waist, she stood. A side Mina didn't expect from her.

"Your girlfriend? You?!" He scoffed with a nasty smug on his face.

"Got a problem with that?" Jeongyeon's face remained stoic as she reach for the pocket on her coat as if she's about to take something out, but Mina knows full well that it's just a bluff since she knew the girl didn't own any kind of weapon. Good thing for them, the guy was convinced and quietly just walked away.

No one said a word after what happened and just went inside. For Jeongyeon it's what she always does whenever her friends encounters creeps. She's done it with Jihyo and with Tzuyu when Chaeyoung can't.

Inside the elevator, the blonde is unaware that there's a heavy tension surrounds them already. She was busy checking the cheesecake she bought earlier that was suppose to be for Sana.

"You didn't have to do that." Mina spoke.

Jeongyeon understood what she was talking about but couldn't tell if she's mad or confused or disgusted? 'But why would she?' She wondered.

"I'm sorry. Did I made you uncomfortable?"

Now, Jeongyeon's looking at her warily, like a vulnerable puppy. Very different from what she just showed earlier and Mina couldn't look at it too long. She lowered her head.

"N-no. It's just unnecessary. I'm not weak, you know? I can handle myself just fine."

The elevator door opened, and to Mina's unit they proceed. In the Kitchen, Mina and Jeongyeon quietly worked together. The blonde prepared 2 slices of cheesecake for the both of them while the younger one prepared the hot chocolate and made another mug of coffee for her.

Back to the table, the silence is finally broken by Mina. She saw Jeongyeon's phone lit up of Sana face, and how she immediately cancels the call without the slightest hesitation.

"Would you mind telling me what happened now?"

Jeongyeon heave a sigh. Although reluctant, she still told her what she saw earlier and how she felt. The frustration and how hurt she is.

"So, that's it?" Mina asked. "Aren't you being unfair to her? Cutting her off just like that? You didn't even think of other possibilities to why she's with someone. What if that's her brother or something?"

"It's not all that."

"Oh there's something else happened?"

"No. That's just it."

"Then, why?"

"I told you this already, right?" Jeongyeon asked, her voice turned soft and hesitant. "She's not- We're not really like, girlfriends. Officially."

"And..?"

"..And that's what bothers me. The fact that if my assumption really is true, there's nothing I can do. I don't have the right to ask her for reasons why or to blame her for getting hurt."

"C'mon. There must be something you can blame her for, right?" Mina suggested, but only got a glare in return. "Sorry."

Jeongyeon's phone lit up again, only for it to be turned off this time. Mina sighed.

"You're being irrational." Mina said. But Jeongyeon is fully aware. "-and unfair as well. All you're thinking about is the worst case possible, but what if it isn't? Can your conscience really bare making that special girl of yours wonder aimlessly to where she went wrong? If you're gonna end things with her, let her know atleast."

Jeongyeon hung her head low but Mina quickly held her by the chin. "Stop being a baby, will yah?"

Although she's aware that Jeongyeon is just inexperienced with these kind of things, she's not gonna watch the blonde to just things up when the solution is very obvious. She opened her phone and dialled Sana's number.

"Your gonna talk to her now. I'm not gonna listen but I'm gonna watch you from here." The younger one commanded.

Jeongyeon felt like she had no choice and just obeyed. She stood lazily and walked out of the glass door to the chilly veranda and shut it close.

Mina watched carefully. The blonde rested her arm on the railings and begin to talk, white air escaping her lips.

.


Her lips.

It's where she pays attention and has been paying attention the most these past few days.

She's been a lot cheerful lately and had been talking to Jeongyeon whenever she got the chance. Whenever she's not busy, she just find herself reaching to her phone asking her small questions like "what's up?" "how are you?" Or "what are you doing right now?" And then she'll receive replies like: "I just woke up. Good morning!" "I'm currently having lunch. You should too :>" Or "I'm with Chaeyoung and Tzuyu and we're heading to the diner to visit Dahyun. How about you? How's your day?"

Those simple replies from her is what she looked forward to, everyday. And it lifts her mood everytime. She didn't have friends in a long time and so she thought it was normal to feel that way towards Jeongyeon. The warm fuzzy ticklish feeling in her stomach and how her heart lurch at the thought of seeing her again.

But the incident awhile ago made it all clear to her. When she felt her arm behind her and her hand on her side and how the word "girlfriend" came out of , sent chills down her spine.

All those wondering how it felt to like her has finally come to a conclusion, and she didn't like the result. It wasn't really how she imagined it. Although the exhilirating feeling made her feel alive, she knew it'll only lead her to another heartbreak.

.

She check back her friend in her veranda and stared at her once again. She couldn't believe she'd reach the point where she's feeling what she's currently feeling towards a girl, and  to her only friend to top it all off.

She witness how her lips gradually turned into a smile, and there she knew, she finally worked it out with Sana. It's what she forced her friend to do, but still she felt closed shut as she looked at her. She didn't even need a coat since Sana's voice is already enough to warm her up.

The heaviness in her heart have returned. She still haven't forget how it felt but it's there once again, and she couldn't blame anyone about it but herself. The worst part of it all is there's no one she can tell about it, and no one to provide her comfort. Well, how could she? The one she used to turn to, is now the one causing her distress.

But even so, Mina decided to just keep it to herself. She still needed Jeongyeon, after all. She didn't want what she have with her to just end even though that's all they'll ever be and nothing more. And she knew it's what she must. She owe Jeongyeon a lot. She's her friend that selflessly helped her get through and get back on track when she reached her rockbottom. When nothing seemed right. The help she did earlier was actually nothing compared to what the blonde has done for the past months.

.

As the hour-long-call finally ended , Jeongyeon return inside, to the table with Mina. Her cheeks are flushed and she couldn't to stop herself from smiling.

"So?.." Mina began.

"The guy was actually her gay bestfriend."

"Idiot." Mina rolled her eyes while Jeongyeon laughed

She stare at Jeongyeon's toothy grin as she sips on her mug. That stupid smile she couldn't get enough of, now gives her a pang in her chest knowing she's not the reason for it. But even so, she looks at it anyway. After all, She's addicted to it, just like her favorite drink.

Her smile warms her while causing her heart to race, just like her favorite drink.

Her smile may be causing her distress right now, but she knows, it'll still be her source of delight. It's bittersweet, just like her favorite drink.

 

 

"How many cups you had already?" Jeongyeon asked, her voice hinting concern for the younger girl.

"Four?"

"You know that's not good for you, right?"

"Can't help it. It's my favorite drink."