Strange Encounter

Sunsets and Coffees

A whole day passed since the last time Chaeyoung's been with her taiwanese girlfriend. It's also the longest they've been apart since they started dating. She wanted to give her time with her family, but there's no denying that she's missing her already. So, attempting to distract her from the longing she feels, she decided to visit her friend that works at the diner.

"Yow!" Chaeyoung greeted, as she made her way to the long counter. She had to jump a little higher just to reach the stool for her to be able to sit, making her miss her tall girlfriend even more who usually the one lifting her up to reach it.

This diner is where the three friends usually hangout since the food is cheap, eventually they became friends with one of the worker, Dahyun, a blonde haired girl whose skin is so white she glows in the dark and a face so adorable that makes most boys go soft. Too bad for them she's just as gay as the 3. Then, after becoming friends with her, coming in the diner became often. And now, they come there for Dahyun more than the food.

"Yow." Dahyun greeted back. "You seem a little down today. Where's Jeongyeon and your girlfriend?"

"Tzuyu's with her family from Taiwan today. I knew how much she misses them, so I want to let her have some quality time with just them and I'm not gonna see her 'till Monday." The little brunette flopped her chin on the counter.

"Then come with me to the club after my shift. That'll take your mind off of her." Dahyun joked, earning a glare from Chaeyoung

"Go by yourself. I doubt there's any girl in that club that's good enough for me to risk my relationship with Tzuyu. In fact, I don't think there's anyone as good as her."

"I'm just messing with you! I'm well aware how whipped you are with your girlfriend. How 'bout Jeongyeon? Where is she?"

"She's on her way here from her date."

"Wow! Jeongyeon on a date? That's more unusual than you and Tzuyu being apart."

Speaking of their tall blonde friend, the store entrance swung open, revealing a highly elated Jeongyeon, smiling from ear to ear. Striding with glee, she proceeded to the long counter and sat on the stool with ease, unlike the sulking girl beside her.

"Fries, please." Jeongyeon started, acting like a normal customer.

"Chaeyoung told me that you had a date. Before I give you your fries, tell me how was it, first."

"It was fun." She answered shortly, trying too hard to supress her blushing and smile, but failed.

"I know, it's fun. It's written all over your face! Tell me something I didn't know. What's he look like?"

"She's not a 'he'. A-"

"She looks like a chipmunk!" Chaeyoung interupted, and the two bursted out laughing.

"A beautiful chipmunk, you mean." The laughing stock took out her phone and showed the two a photo of her and Sana when they were sitting on the pier.

"Oh. My. God!!" Amazed by Sana's face, Dahyun took the phone from the taller girl's hand for a closer look, making the tall one to smile proudly. "You hag! You put a spell on this poor girl, didn't you?!"

"Gosh! You just can't believe I had a date that gorgeous!"

"Well, no offense. For someone like you, it's really unbelievable. Now, tell me everything!"

"Alright." Jeongyeon shifted herself from her seat into a more comfortable position, readying herself to tell the whole thing to them. "So, I met her in a dating app. Chaeyoung made me an account and she's the first one who talked to me, Sana is her name by the way, and we decided to meet immediately the next day."

"So, you only met her last night?!" Dahyun asked, completely astounded. Jeongyeon nodded in response "Wow! You're starting to earn my respect. Okay, Continue."

"At first, it was a bit suspicious. She wanted to meet me at Ppalgansaek bay, at the pier, but when I arrived there, I couldn't see any pier. And so, I started thinking that maybe Chaeyoung was just pulling a prank on me. I thought she made me come all the way there, to trash my apartment or something. "

"Hey!" The little girl whose head is plopped on the counter, immediately rose up, giving her older friend a piercing look for accusing her. "Why do you always have to blame me whenever something bad happens to you?!"

"Because whenever something bad happens to me, it's usually because of you!! Anyway, just as I was about to call Chaeng, Sana came! Her voice is so cute! You wouldn't believe how tiny her voice is! And she's a lot prettier in person." Jeongyeon's cheek started to flush again as she relive the moment she first saw Sana. "We went to the pier, and there, we had picnic. She brought lots of food for us two, it was really nice. Sana is very nice. And not just because of the food, but just being with her feels nice. Today was the best."

The air was then filled with silence. Dahyun is waiting for the next part of Jeongyeon's story, but none came. "And then what?"

"That's it... Oh! I also got a kiss on the cheek before she left." She touched her cheek where she'd been kissed, feeling Sana's lips that still lingers. The two, however, isn't satisfied with the ending.

"A kiss on the cheek? You could've gotten more!"

"Maybe. But I'm already satisfied with what I got. Plus, she did promise me a second date, so that's enough for me."

"You're too kind. You'll never get laid because of that." The mushroom head plopped her head again on the counter, facing opposite from her blonde friend this time. Jeongyeon heat up at the idea of "getting laid" but shook her head before her mind starts imagining inappropriate scenarios of her and Sana.

For Jeongyeon, if Sana and her were to reach the point where they can do "stuff", she wants to atleast know first what she is to her, or where she stands in Sana's life. She wants to do it right, or she'd rather not have it at all. Right now, what she feels for Sana is equivalent to a little flame slowly expanding that needs strict supervision and maintenance, or it will grow out of control.

"Excuse me, can I have one americano, please."

An orange haired girl wearing a denim jacket with a black shirt underneath, interupted Jeongyeon's thoughts.

"Coming right up, miss." Dahyun, gladly responds, Rushing to their brewing station.

The girl sat a seat away from Jeongyeon. She couldn't help but glance every minute at the girl, because despite the lack of emotions, Jeongyeon can feel a heavy aura from her. She's also really pretty. Even from Jeongyeon's view from the side, she can tell that she's the type that turns heads when passing by. Face sprinkled with moles, perfectly slanted nose, and brown eyes, although looked sad, she bet it's really captivating.

"Your americano, miss." Dahyun carefully placed the mysterious girl's order while balancing a tray full of dishes on the other hand. "Jeong. Here's your fries. I'll talk to you again later."

The diner is now slightly packed, so Dahyun had to be busy. Her mushroom friend on the other hand, dozed off, face slumped on the counter. Now, She got nothing to do except to eat her fries.

When she decided to look on her right again, the girl's cup is already empty, and she was gone. The only thing on there was a white hanky that probably belongs to her. She thought, maybe the girl hasn't gotten far yet, so she did what she had to do. She took the handkerchief and rushed out of the diner. Jeongyeon looked from her right then left, but the girl's nowhere in the sidewalk. She squinted her eyes and found her already across the street, not too far.

"Miss!" Jeongyeon called. The girl kept walking, but Jeongyeon knew she was heard. She herself to get closer, and called her again. "Miss! Wait up!" But she wouldn't stop. Jeongyeon ran even faster to catch up, and when she did, she went infront of the girl, leaving her no choice but to finally stop.

"I believe this is yours. You left it on the counter." Jeongyeon handed the white handkerchief, but the girl wouldn't take it. She remained still, head bowed down, making her orange hair cover her entire face. Jeongyeon knew, something's going on.

"Are you alright, miss?" Just as Jeongyeon about to put her hand on the girl's shoulder, the girl shoved it. She took the handkerchief and looked up to the taller girl, finally revealing her face glistened with tears. She pushed Jeongyeon aside and continued to walk, the blonde didn't react.

The way she was shoved and pushed, she knew the girl wanted to be left alone. Jeongyeon doesn't know one bit about her since this is literally the first time she'd seen her, but for Jeongyeon, helping is an instinct. She feels bad for intervening with someone else's business but for her, not trying to help is even worse. She clearly saw the girl crying, and she's capable of giving a hand, so that's what she's gonna do.

She ran as quickly as she could and when their distance closed in, she grabbed her by the arm. She stopped, but didn't bother turning around. The girl somehow figured out that it was still the same person that stopped her earlier.

"What is it this time?" Her voice is wobbly, clearly still crying.

"Umm.. I wanna help you."

"Help me how!?" She shoved Jeongyeon's hand again, but she didn't walk away. Instead, she turned around and faced the tall girl this time, unvailing her face that's still reddish and shiny due to tears.

"In any way I can. You want to talk about it? I'll listen! Anything that'll make you feel better." Jeongyeon pleaded. The girl scoffed.

"Get lost. I know the likes of you. You think you're helping, but really, you just do that to feel better about yourself. Go use someone else to raise your own ego."

She continued to walk away, but Jeongyeon is stubborn. She grabbed the girl's arm again and looked intently in her eyes. "If you think I'm just using you, then use me as well. Let's benefit each other." She loosened her grip on the girl's arm and spoke a little softer this time. "Look, I don't find you weak or anything but, please don't bottle it all up inside. You don't have to deal with it alone, you know?"

Jeongyeon doesn't plan on persuading the girl all night if she doesn't wants to. For her, asking her more than once is already enough. And also, forcing herself to her will only make her look like a harasser, not a helper. If this mysterious lady still refuse, Jeongyeon's gonna respect it this time and let her be.

.. But she succeeded this time. The mysterious lady wiped the last tear that streamed down her cheek and looked at the taller one. Heaving, she asked "Can you come with me at my place then?"

---

The walk to the girl's condo is silent. For the blonde, it was awkward while the ginger head is just preoccupied, contemplating her decision about bringing a stranger to her place.

After the arrival, Jeongyeon was told to sit and wait at the balcony while the other one makes hot cocoa for them. Jeongyeon was glad that the girl finally accepted her aid, but ending up in her place isn't part of the plan. She's aware how inappropriate this is but she can't just back out when she's the one who begged her to accept her assistance in the first place. So, To stop her hyperactive imagination from creating more scenarios, she distract her self by looking at the beautiful citylights, until the girl arrived holding two mugs and a plate of biscuits.

"I'm Mina by the way." The ginger head sat on the seat across the blonde and offered the mug.

"Jeongyeon." She replied as she reach for the hot cocoa "So, shall we get started? What's causing your distress?"

Inviting a stranger is reckless, but there's really something about Jeongyeon she couldn't put a finger on that makes her trust so easily. It could be her warm smile or her gentle stare, or she's probably just too sad to think rationally. But she already brought her in her place and they're not even connected in any way, so even if she decided to spill her secrets, she's gonna be just fine.

"My boyfriend dumped me." Mina started. Jeongyeon just nodded, telling her to just keep going. "We've been together for almost 8 years, since we were highschool. We were inseparable. I always do things with him and so was he and also, we both know each other's secrets. Because of him, I never needed any friends. He's all I need and want, so losing him feels like I lost everything."

Jeongyeon can feel the pain in her voice when she told her that. The air was filled with silence, and so she felt the need to respond.

"Uhh.. How did it end?"

"He just called me this morning and told me to split up saying he no longer feel that 'spark' he used to feel for me."

'Well, good riddance. A jerk like that isn't worth keeping anyway.' Is what Jeongyeon would have said if she wasn't so nice.

"Well, I have no idea whose fault is this but maybe he just don't see the point in continuing the relationship anymore. Maybe you didn't notice that you two were already growing apart."

"Or maybe I bore him to death. I'm too plain and I didn't gave him the excitement I'm suppose to provide."

Jeongyeon only know a tiny fraction about the guy and their relationship but she's completely sure that Mina is just in denial to admit that his ex is a and so she'd rather blame herself instead.

"What are you gonna do now that you've broken up? If you're planning on moving on, i know a good way to do it is to surround yourself with good company. You can hang out with me and my friends if you want. I'm sure my friends won't mind."

Instead of a 'thank you' Jeongyeon received a glare and a biscuit flying straight to her face. "I want to get him back! Why are you suggesting I move on!?"

"Okay! Okay!" Jeongyeon gulped, hands half raised. "So what can I do to help you get your man back?"

"I don't need your help with that! I want you to stop suggesting nonsense and shut up! I don't need any advice! I know what to do, okay?! I brought you here to just listen and nothing else!"

Jeongyeon couldn't believe this girl. Here she thought no one can get any ruder than Chaeyoung. But this girl, she's way beyond rude. She isn't the type that expects gratitude, but this! This is ridiculous!

She haven't reach her limit yet though. She thought maybe this girl is just too devastated that her mind got clouded. 'one more try' she told herself.

So, with all her strength, she kept her normal face from contorting. Calmly, she responded "Alright, I'll stop talking and just listen. Please proceed."

"Forget it, I'm going to bed. You at listening. You can sleep on the couch, just don't touch anything else." Mina stood up, not realizing she just pushed Jeongyeon to her limit.

"NO, I'M LEAVING! I'D RATHER WALK THIS LATE THAN STAY ANOTHER MINUTE NEAR YOU! IF YOU THINK I AT LISTENING, FINE!! ATLEAST MY ATTITUDE DOESN'T LIKE YOURS! NO WONDER YOU DON'T HAVE ANY FRIENDS!! AND NOW I KNOW WHY YOUR BOYFRIEND GOT TIRED OF YOU! YOU'RE INFURIATING!!!"

Jaw clenched, she stood up and kick her seat backward. Jeongyeon swear she's close to breaking the mug with her grip. But, Mina didn't flinch. She's a bit surprised to see the gentle girl burst like this, but she's confident Jeongyeon is too kind to lay a finger on her.

She's slowly cooling down, though her heavy breathing can still be heard. Eventually, in a calmer but dead tone, Jeongyeon spoke.

"Deal with your on your own. I'm sorry, but I don't think I can stand being with you. I'll be going now, thank you for the hot cocoa." She didn't wait for Mina's reply anymore and headed to the door, with each step can be heard. She was thinking of slamming the door with all her strength but decided not to let hatred completely take over her.

The streets are empty and terrifyingly quiet. She has a choice to go back to the diner but she knows, the two will just ask non-stop about why she left, and she doesn't want to talk about it. But they probably already left anyway since Dahyun's shift ended an hour ago.

In the end, despite her worn-out legs due to the long walk, Jeongyeon reached her apartment safely. Too tired to go for a shower and change clothes, she headed immediately to her bed and plopped down. Still furious about Mina, she swore to herself to never approach a crying person out on the street ever again.

What people don't know about her, despite her kind nature, Jeongyeon secretly has anger issues, but even so, no one really pushed her buttons like Mina did, and she never really shouted at anyone's face before.

With her remaining strength, she reached for her phone and found 3 messages.

Dubu: Where did you go?

Yoda: Unnie, is Chaeng with you?

Sana: Today was really nice! Can't wait for our next ;) Same time and place again, okay? Goodnight Jeong!

Automatically, smile spread across Jeongyeon's face and the weight in her chest magically disappeared. This girl's effect on her is truly wonderful. She doesn't know what she did exactly, but she's glad Sana wants to meet her again.

JY: Likewise. I can't wait to see you as well.

With that, the day she thought was ruined, ended blissfully.