Progress?

Sunsets and Coffees


"Wait wait! A girly voice?!" Jeongyeon asked. Jihyo nodded, but then she quickly took it back as well.

"Actually, it's not girly like a young girl. It's a little mature." Jihyo said with her eyes squinted and making gestures in the air, struggling to describe the woman's voice. "But i'm really sure it wasn't you. It's very far from your voice because it's really lady-like."

Jeongyeon rolled her eyes at her friend's remark, before shrugging it off. "But if it was Sunday early morning, then that's probably my new friend. I was asleep that time, and so she probably answered it for me. Why didn't you just ask her to give the phone to me?"

"It didn't sound like Chaeyoung nor Tzuyu, so I immediately hung up."

"Well, It wasn't them. This girl, we just became friends... That day." Jeongyeon explained, reluctantly.

"And you're sleeping in her place already? What kind of friendship do you have with her anyway?"

"Nothing! I was just helping her out since she's going through a tough time."

Jeongyeon explained everything to Jihyo from the time she met Mina to how they became friends. Regardless of not having Mina's consent, She didn't hesitate to tell everything to her bestfriend. She may keep secrets from others, but never to her . And sure, she can prolong something, but she can never keep it from Jihyo forever.

"So yeah. That's all that happened." Jeongyeon concluded, but the skeptical look on Jihyo's face still remains.

"Hmm... Look. I'm glad that you're trying out new things, and meeting new people, and helping others as well. But please, stay out of trouble, okay? Every actions has consequences."

"You're over-reacting! I was just being nice. I mean, what could go wrong?" Jeongyeon couldn't see the problem Jihyo is pointing out But Jihyo wouldn't be reacting like this if there's really nothing. The Jeongyeon she knew would be very careful. Almost all of her actions are calculated, so it's really surprising to hear from her about approaching a stranger out on the streets.

"Well, for example, what if that Mina you're trying to help, ended up liking you?"

"Nonsense! That girl is straight."

---

In Last week's emotional rollercoaster date, they both got their questions answered. Sana was assured that Jeongyeon is willing to wait and Jeongyeon finally figured out where she stands. Despite their unsteady future, atleast they're now both aware of what each other's feelings, and for Jeongyeon, that's more than enough to stay.

Sana is in her usual position, which is sitting on the edge of the pier, feet dipped in water while facing the horizon. The blonde on the other hand is laid on her back with her head resting on the Japanese's lap.

Jeongyeon being aware that she's just as wanted as she wants Sana, boosts her confidence significantly. Timid Jeong is cute, but bolder Jeong isn't so bad as well. It's y and will surely make her obssess with the blonde even more.

"Aaa." Jeongyeon opened as Sana reached for another strawberry in her picnic basket and feed it to the little head resting on her lap.

"You're really enjoying this, huh?"

"Why wouldn't I? A view this lovely is impossible not to appreciate."

Afraid to get caught blushing, she pushed Jeongyeon's head and faced it to the blazing horizon instead. "That view is lovelier, don't you think?"

For Jeongyeon, Sunsets didn't really mean anything to her, that is until she met the Japanese. But she doesn't fully appreciate it unlike the other girl, because for her, it's a depressing reminder that her moment with her favorite person is slowly coming to an end.

Gently removing Sana's hand on her face, she moved it close to her chest. Her hazel green eyes is again locked with the Japanese's light brown eyes. Reaching Sana's face with her free hand, with her lips forming into a smirk, she answered "I like this one better."

Jeongyeon earned a light smack on her forehead for successfully flustering Sana. But for Jeongyeon, she wasn't really after Sana's pink cheeks. For her, she meant every word she said, with the sole purpose of only reassuring the girl that she's still as special to her as last week, or even more. And no matter how long Sana's response might take, she's willing to wait for it.

.

After a few chats about how their week went (and also a few exchanges of cheesy remarks) they started packing their stuffs. It was mostly Sana's, but Jeongyeon's more than willing to do it all for the Japanese. She even insisted to carry the picnic basket along with her handbag while they're walking to the station.

"I'm sorry I couldn't spend time a little longer with you. Believe me, I'd really love to have dinner with you, but my grandma makes my dinner every Saturday and I don't want to waste her efforts." Sana laced her arm on Jeongyeon's and rested her head on her shoulder. "But I swear, when I'm ready, and if "us" worked out, I'll introduce you to them. And we'll finally have that dinner."

"I'd like that, but like I said before, I'll wait. You don't have to constantly remind me because I don't want you getting pressured or anything." She planted a kiss on top of her head to soothe her, which effectively worked. Sana widely grinned at the contact. "Plus, I have plans after this anyway."

"Hmm. What kind of plans?"

"Remember the girl I told you about, last week? The one I had a weird encounter with?"

"Yeah, I remember."

"Well, apparently, we're friends now, and I'll be helping her because she's currently going through a tough time, which actually explains her nasty behavior two weeks ago. I'm going to her place after this."

"Her place?" Sana raised her head removing it from her shoulder and looked at her curiously. "Just the two of you?"

"Uhuh."

"And what kind of help are you providing for this girl?"

"I'm helping her get over her ex."

"And how will you do that?"

"I don't know. Maybe I'll try giving her a good time or something."

"Good time, huh?" Sana's voice is a little serious this time, her brows already formed into a frown, and her hand is no longer holding the blonde's. But Jeongyeon is dense as always. "Is this girl hot and gorgeous?"

"A lot!" Jeongyeon affirmed and that's the last thing Sana needs to hear before forcefully grabbing the picnic basket from Jeongyeon. Though she finally succeeded in getting her attention, the picnic basket remained in Jeongyeon's strong grip.

Jeongyeon being dense is confused to how her gentle eyes suddenly turned into this stern look.

"If that's so, why are you still here, walking with me when you actually have an "appointment" with her?! Actually, why did you still came here when you can actually have the whole day partying with her, in her bed?! Let go of the basket, Jeong!!"

It didn't took long and common sense finally hit the oblivious blonde. She finally understood what's happening. At first, she doesn't know if she should be worried because Sana is mad at her or .

Sana kept on yanking her basket, but it was no match to Jeongyeon's clutch. She didn't realize the tall one is now smirking smugly at her

"Oh god. Ms. Minatozaki, are you jealous?"

She was. But she didn't realized it until Jeongyeon actually pointed it out. And she shouldn't be. Not after putting their relationship in an unstable position. She doesn't have the right to act all possessive towards her.

They stood there, infront of the station, in the middle of the busy crowd. Sana went silent, embarassed for making the blonde feel as if she owns her (Not knowing Jeongyeon actually liked it) and composing herself, making sure her emotions are calmed down before she speaks again.

"I-I'm not jealous." Sana denied. Head bowed down and voice defeated. "Or maybe I am, but forget what I said and the way I acted. You're a free person, you can do what you want. You're free to meet other people, you're free to go to anyone's places. Heck, you can even go to dates other than with me!"

Jeongyeon felt bad. She didn't expect pointing out Sana's jealousy will result to this. Of course she felt sorry, she was ready to woo her, but she made her feel insecure instead.

"Just promise me one thing." Sana continued. Once again, she held the blonde's hand. "Before you stop pursuing me, please tell me. When the feeling you once felt for me starts to fade, tell me. Please let me know when you're starting to get tired. I know it's my fault our foundation is not as strong, but please, just give me a heads up before ending this. That's all I ask."

Jeongyeon quickly shoved Sana's hands off of hers and dropped the basket she's holding, making the dishes inside clanked loudly. Fortunately, the fall is not strong enough to break what's inside, but it was definitely loud enough to grab some passerby's attention.

"Hey, Look at me." Jeongyeon cupped the girl's cheeks and faced it to hers. "Nothing's ending or whatever, okay? "

She pulled the japanese closer, placing her head closer to her chest. It was comforting as always for Sana, and it's a feeling she only gets from Jeongyeon and no one else. More reason why she's afraid of losing the girl.

"I'm sorry for making you feel that way. Our relationship may be on the edge, but I have no desire of seeing other people other than you. I know I'm serious about this. About us. And I swear, this feeling I have for you just keeps getting stronger everyday. And even if I try, I really couldn't see myself with anyone. Anyone but you that is."

She believe Jeongyeon meant every word. But her doubt is more on herself than to the blonde. Jeongyeon's looks alone is already a catch, combine it with her very loving personality and you've got something precious. No wonder, most people are going crazy for her. But for Sana, she's too good to be true, making her doubts grew even more. Especially when she said she's willing to wait for her until she's ready, because none of her past dates ever told her that.

"I know you're scared because there's no guarantee of what's gonna happen, and honestly, I do too." Jeongyeon spoke again. "But, don't you want to see where this goes? I know our journey is just starting, but I can already tell that this will be a great one. And I'm sure, even if I don't get the answer I've been meaning to have in the end, I'll still treasure what I had with you, without any regrets, because I know you're worth it."

Sana tightened her hug onto the taller girl to keep herself together because she swore, she's about to burst because of how Jeongyeon just made her feel. They're still in the middle of the crowd, starting to get a lot of judging glances here and there, but they don't care. All that matters to them is how lucky they both are in each other's arms.

Maybe she'll take Jeongyeon's advice and just see where their relationship will take them.

---

Jeongyeon made sure to Sana before she went off is that Mina really is just a friend she's going to help and nothing else. That even though she finds her really pretty, the only feeling she have for her is the strong desire to help the girl.

Now it's time to see Mina. But before she did, she had to go to her place first to get her old lime green compact car she just got from the auto mechanic and drove her way there.

While heading to Mina's place, she recalled all that happened. She's glad it didn't show, but she was really hurt that Sana would think she'd do something so disgusting. Nothing insults her the most than being compared or mistaken as those kinds of people. Cheaters. Even though technically their not official yet. But even so, Jihyo's pained image is the first thing she pictures in her mind whenever she think of those, so she swore to herself to never do such thing.

She realized Mina, was also a victim of that. Now, she has another reason to despise such people. Speaking of Mina, Jeongyeon wondered how her week had been. It must've been hard, Jeongyeon wondered. After all, the first weeks of break up is always the hardest and it's an 8-year-relationship she didn't expect to just end we're talking about.

She wondered what her room must've looked like now. It must've been so trashed and full of empty icecream tubs like those in the movies. And Mina, she must've neglected herself.

As she knocked, she also prepared herself to see a room looking like a disaster and a messed up Mina, but when the door swung open, the room was nice and tidy, and Mina in her fitted black shirt and white leggings is looking just fine. Sure she's got those bags in her eyes, but there were already there even last week, so technically she's still taking care of herself.

"Hey.." Jeongyeon greeted awkwardly. Mina didn't react and just continued to stare at the blonde blankly.

"Hey." Mina greeted back with a dead tone.

"So uh.. How was your week?"

Mina stayed still, while Jeongyeon is starting to feel awkward. It's like talking to a wall that has eyes that's just staring at her but not responding. Then suddenly her face contorted and she just fell onto her knees and started to cry.

Mina did get through the week just fine. She made sure to get to work and do her chores to maintain what's left in her life. But in order to do that, she had to shut off her emotions. She don't want other people to know she's only barely getting by, and so she shove her emotions in the back of her head and filled her mind with responsibilities instead.

Seeing Jeongyeon made her feel that she's finally allowed to drop the act and be herself again. Allowed to finally acknowledge that she isn't the one who diligently work and always insists working overtime nor the one who cleaned her place in every corner everyday. The real her is in pain, and falling apart.

Jeongyeon who haven't gotten inside yet, was startled. She checked her left and right, and fortunately there's no one but her in the hallway because if there is, she's afraid people might think she's the one who made her cry.

"There there." She bent to her knees to level herself with Mina and tucked her hair behind her ears. She then took her handkerchief out of her pocket and wiped it on her tear-glistened face.

Jeongyeon let Mina cry herself out until all her pent up emotions is all drained out. Eventually, her heaving slowed down. Her left hand, clutching the handkerchief on her chest, while her other hand is grabbed onto the blonde's hand. Jeongyeon is it until she calmed down, and when she is, she asked "Can you stand?" Mina nodded.

"Then come with me."

---

An old man who ordered sausages and what seems like a student who's been there for hours who only had a cup of espresso just so he could use the booth to do his homework, are the only customers Dahyun had to keep an eye on, which is easy enough and really convenient for her, until her blonde friend came.

"What's up?" Dahyun started.

"Hey Dahyun. I'm not gonna stay here for long 'cuz someone's waiting for me outside." Jeongyeon immediately explained. "I'll just have 2 orders of burger and fries, and one americano, and I'll be on my way."

"Wow. You didn't visit me for 2 weeks, and now you're rushing me with this? Is that how you see me now? Just a mere service crew?"

"No, ugh.. I promise I'll come here on Wednesday, with Chaeng and Tzuyu, and I'll explain everything to you, okay?" She slid her payment on the counter, which Dahyun swiftly took.

"Fine, I'll look forward to that... Oooh! Jeong, I almost forgot. A pretty ginger head came here and ask for your number, and I gave it so, you're welcome."

Dahyun winked and gave Jeongyeon that knowing look, but Jeongyeon is unamused. "I know. She's actually the one waiting for me outside in my car and that americano is actually for her, so make that a good one."

"Hmm.. collecting girls, huh? " The blonde just scoffed at her remark, already too used with Dahyun's teasing.

"Alright. here you go, my friend." Dahyun handed Jeongyeon her order inside the paperbag after what seems to be around 10 minutes.

"Thanks. See you on Wednesday."

As Jeongyeon got out of the diner, she immediately rushed to the car. The midnight breeze is a little too much since she's only wearing a shirt, and her hoodie is inside her car. When she got back, she found Mina staring at her hand, blankly. She was staring at her ring to be exact and Jeongyeon knew, helping her still has a long way to go.

Mina is very much frustrated how well aware she is that her ex don't deserve even a single tear after leaving her so sudden and for giving her the most pathetic excuse for breaking up, yet she knows that if given a wish, having him back is what she'd ask without second thinking. That's right, she'd still choose him rather than have her heart healed. Unfortunately for her, that option is not available.

The sound of the engine interrupted her thoughts. She was so deep in her trance that she didn't notice Jeongyeon was already back and then they're on the road again.

"Here." Jeongyeon handed the coffee she bought to the Japanese and was given a forced smile in return, but the blonde didn't see it since her eyes are still fixed on the road.

The ride was quiet. It was the peaceful kind of quiet, but it only lasted for 20 minutes before they arrived at the mountainside parking lot just outside the city. Mina is aware of the place, but never been there until now.

Jeongyeon assisted her out of the car, and as expected, the breeze there is twice as strong and twice as chilly. It was a good thing Jeongyeon has a coat to spare, But all in all, it wasn't really that bad since It was just the beginning of September.

At the edge railing where they proceeded, it has an amazing view of the city. It's a shame, Mina couldn't fully appreciate it due to a certain someone she couldn't get rid off of her mind.

"Burger and fries?" Jeongyeon offered the paperbag, yanking her out of her thoughts once again.

"Why here?"

"Hmm?" Jeongyeon's mouth is full and her hand with the paperbag is still extended to Mina.

"Why did you take me here? What made you think this place would help me?" Her voice doesn't have the slight annoyance in it and just pure curiosity, but her face is blank, making the taller one thinks otherwise.

Jeongyeon then swallowed the thing she's chewing before answering. "Honestly, I'm not really expecting that this would help. I'm only hoping it does." Her hand is getting tired of holding the paperbag, so she put it down for awhile. "Since you barely leave your place, I was hoping a new surroundings would help."

Mina checked the place again. There's a convenient store and a closed souvenir shop infront of the parking lot, and Aside from the the blonde's car, there were two other cars parked in there as well.

"I still don't get why here. I mean, how is this therapeutic?" Again, she wasn't mad or disappointed, but she really can't help but wonder what's going on in Jeongyeon's mind.

"The stars is much visible here, compared there." She pointed at the city. "And whenever I'm sad, I just look at it. Knowing how big it is, I'll realize how everything else is just a speck compared to that. Even my problems. And suddenly I'm good again."

"I don't think that actually works. I think you're just making your problems appear insignificant so you can shrug it off. The way I see it, you're just lying to yourself."

"Yeah.. Maybe I am. But I gotta do what I gotta do to move forward, you know? Life is moving too fast, and I'm not gonna let myself fall behind." She sighed, creating a puff of air that immediately carried away by the wind. "If you don't like it here, I apologize. I guess I'll have to drive you somewhere different next time and we'll do that until.. I don't know. Maybe until you find that place that feels like home or until you find yourself again."

"That was deep." Mina laughed, genuinely this time but it didn't last long. "I don't hate here. It was actually pretty nice and it's funny because this is such a spectacular view and we're eating burgers plus, it's midnight. I'm having a one of a kind experience, thanks to you, yet here I am, still craving for the guy that dumped me. God, humans really are animals."

Jeongyeon was about to give her a sympathetic tap on the shoulder, but she realized she wasn't really done talking yet.

"And look who I'm with. A badass cutie who's willing to make such effort just to make me feel better, even though I was such a jerk to her on our first meet." It was Mina's turn to create a puff of air. She sighed before looking at the blonde. "I wish I was in love with you instead."

Jeongyeon wished Sana could see them right now, so she knows that there really is nothing romantic going on between them. They're together but their hearts are longing for someone else.

"I already like someone. So bad, to be honest. So, being in love with me won't have much of a difference because it's still going to be one-sided. And trust me, being straight is much easier, so forget wondering what it's like to be gay."

"I don't have to wonder what it's like, it's not really that complicated. You're simply just liking a person. Though you have a point, being straight is much easier in some circumstances." Mina nodded. "You like her so bad, huh? And you're already doing this much for me, when I'm merely just a nobody? I can't imagine how much more you could give to her."

"You're not a nobody. You're my friend, remember?"

.

It went on like that for 3 months. Her Saturdays are spent with Sana in their usual location, Her Sundays are spent with her friend Mina going to different places, and her weekdays are with her friends and work.

She may be lacking a little time for rest, but Jeongyeon woudn't mind missing a few hours of sleep for those people who needs her company. Despite her busy routine, she still got promoted. From being Jinyoung's right hand and coffee-maker, now she's also a full-pledged Editor. (with a huge help of her bestfriend in charge, of course) But even with that progress in her work, she hopes she can also have it with Sana and Mina.

From Saturday evening to Sunday morning, she'd be with Mina. Jeongyeon would either take her in a lively atmosphere like theme parks, or a peaceful midnight drive in nature. She no longer mentions her ex during their hang-outs, but she still rarely smiles and her eyes are still empty. Sure, they're starting to bicker like what she does with Dahyun and Chaeyoung, a sign that Mina is becoming more and more comfortable with her, but it would be nice if she's actually helping the girl heal, because that's her goal in the first place.

What's lacking progress the most is her relationship with Sana. For her, for someone with zero experience in any kind of romantic relationship and being able to be all cuddly with her in just 2 weeks, was a little too fast. And now, for 3 months, nothing new happened. Maybe it's just Jeongyeon's impatient or her overthinking head that her trust in their unstable status is starting to whither. No, she's not thinking of cutting ties with her, but she's scared that maybe, Sana is. She's scared that maybe she's growing tired of her or something.

.

She confirmed her assumptions to be true, one Saturday, when she decided to go to the pier hours earlier than the supposed time. The place is starting to grow on her, and it's a good place to think as well. She wanted to think of a way on how to spice up her labelless relationship with Sana, only to find her already there on their usual spot, but with someone else.
 

A guy comfortably resting his head on her shoulder.