Thirdwheel

Sunsets and Coffees

 

 

"Another day of being a thirdwheel." Jeongyeon sighed as she lazily buttoned her cardigan.

She looked at herself in the mirror, deadpan, thinking that if she wasn't friends with the couple, she wouldn't waste her time, money, and self-worth every week.

Well, It wasn't really like this in the beginning...

Jeongyeon is working as an editorial assistant in a publishing company, owned by a friend. 2 newly hired fresh graduates, Chaeyoung the graphic designer and Tzuyu, an accounting clerk, immediately clicked with Jeongyeon. The people in their workplace knew them as "that tight group of friends that's always loud and always gets in trouble." Chaeyoung's lame puns and Tzuyu's sarcasm is her entertainment at work. Because of her friends, Jeongyeon no longer gets bored.

Every Friday, the three of them will hang-out. Sometimes they do escape rooms, sometimes in a theme park, or sometimes they just chill in Tzuyu's apartment. They're always looking forward to it.

Everything was going well for Jeongyeon, until one evening, Chaeyoung called her and admitted that she's starting to like their tall and brunette friend. Jeongyeon, the kind and naive girl that she is, told Chaeyoung to just try and ask her out without any idea of what's gonna happen.

Chaeyoung did what Jeongyeon adviced and it turned out great. She and Tzuyu started dating.

Jeongyeon was genuinely happy for the two. Their weekly hang-outs still occur but eventually, Jeongyeon realized that she's being left out. Before, their slumber party is all of them in Tzuyu's room in their onesies watching movies in her laptop and surrounded with pillows. Now, it always ends with Jeongyeon sleeping in the couch while the two is locked up in Tzuyu's room doing who knows what.

But despite of how disappointed she was, there is no way she's gonna go between the happiness of the two.

---

Jeongyeon arrived in the movie theatre 15 minutes before the movie starts. As expected, she found the two, arms around each other while whispering sweet nothings. Because they were so busy displaying affections publicly, it took a few minutes before they realized that their tall blonde friend was already with them.

"Oh you're here! Sorry about that. Let's head inside then, shall we?" Chaeyoung gave her a nervous laugh. Jeongyeon just rolled her eyes.

The movie was picked by none other than Chaeyoung and Tzuyu. They said rom-com will be perfect, but Jeongyeon knew it'll only be perfect for them.

As Jeongyeon foresaw, ChaeTzu didn't even last for 20 minutes and was already all over each other. Jeongyeon had to endure poor acting/cheesy lines of the characters and the non-stop giggling of the two lovebirds beside her for more than an hour. It was awful, but the good thing is she got to finish the popcorn Chaeyoung and Tzuyu neglected.

After the movie, as they went out of theatre, Tzuyu bid them farewell.

"I'm sorry I can't stay longer today. My mom will come here from Taiwan so I have to go to the airport now." Tzuyu explained.

"See you at work on Monday, unnie." She gave Jeongyeon a hug.

"And to you my little tiger, I want you to behave while I'm away." She messed Chaeyoung's mushroom hair and pinched her nose, which the little girl really liked. Tzuyu lowered her head to level Chaeyoung's face and before a kiss happens, Jeongyeon already looked away. She already had enough of the movie and knowing them, they like their kiss wet and sloppy.

---

As Tzuyu left, the two started walking home. Jeongyeon is confused to why Chaeyoung is still walking with her when her dorm, is in the opposite direction.

Chaeyoung however, is clueless. She have this smug look on her face probably still thinking about her goddess of a girlfriend. Two buttons on her polo are loose and a hickey slightly visible near her collarbone. Like a 13-year-old playboy.

"Your dorm is that way, right? Why are you still walking with me?" Jeongyeon finally asked.

"Well, it's Friday. I usually stayed at Tzuyu's but since she's unavailable today, I'm crashing in your place, bro!"

The older girl really preferred to be alone after a draining day of constantly reminding her that she's single but she couldn't say 'no' to her little friend especially with that bright smile on her face.

---

After arriving at the boarding house, Jeongyeon immediately prepared an extra blanket, pillow and pajamas for her little bro. Chaeyoung on the other hand, was glued to her phone again, probably talking to her girlfriend who were just with them, half an hour ago.

"Unnie, didn't you ever thought of dating?" Chaeyoung asked out of nowhere.

"Not really. Do you think I'm date-worthy?" She laughed.

"I think you should try it. We can do double dates... Plus, I know you're feeling that you're being left out but I really couldn't help it. I'm really addicted to Tzuyu and whenever she's with me, I suddenly forgot about everyhting else. I'm really sorry."

Jeongyeon can see how sorry Chaeyoung is but it still hurts to hear that.

" So, why didn't you ever date before? Yeah, you're the most awkward person I know, but almost everyone's like crushing on you, you know?"

"Really?"

"Yeah!! Our boss's secretary, Momo, is always staring at you like you're some freshly cooked jokbal. Didn't you ever wonder why you always get free milkshakes?"

"What are you saying?! I never get any milkshakes!"

"Well, I took it! I need those calcium more than you do, you're already tall anyway. But are you familiar with that hot chick who owns the bakery across the office? The one with the cute bunny smile but oozing with appeal? Hayeon is her name, i think."

"Nayeon!" Jeongyeon corrected.

"Whatever. Well, do you remember that cheesecake you always make me order? It was actually free. "On the house for that blonde cutie." Ms. Nayeon always telling me, but I never told you because.. well.."

"What?!?"

"I-I'm sorry!! I promise I'll make it up to you. Someday.. After I saved up for Tzuyu and I's anniversary or if I get a raise."

All Jeongyeon can do is pinch the bridge of her nose in disappointment. All this time, she can actually get free food and drinks. "You're unbelievable."

"Well, it's not my fault you're so dense. Plus, you always look down whenever you walk that you don't realize those potential dates turning their heads for you. If I don't have Tzuyu, I'd want to be you, Unnie. But you , you don't realize all that."

"Ugh! I could have saved 50 dollars a week." Jeongyeon slumped her face on her pillow, obviously still disappointed.

"Alright, I'll help you find a date. This will make you less upset." Chaeyoung took the older girl's phone and fumbled with it for a few minutes.

"There you go. Put everything about you here and we'll see who will take the bait."

Jeongyeon didn't get how it will make up to those money Chaeyoung took but she did what she's told anyway.

---

Yoo Jeongyeon
25 years old
Editorial assistant at ParkJ Publishings

If you don't mind an awkward person to be with, hit me up :)


"Seriously?" Chaeyoung looked in disbelief at the information Jeongyeon put.

"Well, I don't want to give people high expectations of me."

"Humility is good, I get it! But not here, okay? And why did you use this image?" Chaeyoung barked, completely irritated.

It was Jeongyeon dressed as Pinocchio in last year's halloween party held in their company. She was highly praised that time and most of her girl workmates even took a picture with her.

" I thought I looked good in there." Jeongyeon, reasoned.

"No, you nerd! You should've used that cool photo of yours wearing a camo jacket when we tried paintball. Pr-"

*ding

"Wow, Unnie. Someone already wants to talk to you? You're charm really is something else. Too bad you don't know how to use it properly. So let's see who's this mysterious person who's kind enough to pay attention to you... Or probably this is just some weirdo desperate to get laid, like you."

"Give me that!" She took her phone from Chaeyoung and immediately went to look at the mystery person's profile. Jeongyeon wished this wasn't a guy and fortunately for her, it wasn't.



Minatozaki Sana
25 years old
Pre School Teacher at Twiceland Kindergarten School

Born from the land of the rising Sun. Let's get connected and maybe spread some positivity :D





Silky black hair, mesmerizing brown eyes, irresistable cheeks, and the brightest smile Jeongyeon has ever seen. She couldn't believe someone this beautiful actually wants to get to know her.

"She looks like a chipmunk." Chaeyoung spat out, ruining the moment, making Jeongyeon shoot an angry look at her. "I-I mean y. She looks y."

"Indeed she is." Jeongyeon replied, going back to adoring her potential date while thinking every possibilities that can happen.

"Well? What are you waiting for? Reply to her, you loser!"

SN: Hi Pinnochio! I don't mind having an awkward person cute as you as my company ;)

JY: Uhh.. Hello! Thank you! You too miss are very cute :)

"You're too polite! Cut to the chase and ask her to date already! It's easier to get to know someone in person!"

"Okay! Shut up!"

JY: Sana, are you free tomorrow?

SN: Yes I am, cutie :")

JY: So, can we meet tomorrow for dinner? Maybe 7pm?

SN: Can we meet at 4pm instead? At Ppalgansaek Bay? Near the pier to be exact?

JY: Too specific, but I think I can do that.

SN: So, 4pm then?

JY: Sure. Ppalgansaek bay. Near the pier. Got it!

SN: Then it's settled. Goodnight. Sweet dreams. And See you tomorrow <3

And that's it. Just like that, the 25-year-old with zero experience in any kind of romance, now has a date to look forward tomorrow.

Jeongyeon never really cared of what others think of her, but this time, she wants to make sure to leave a good impression on Sana.

As she thinks of all the nice possibilities, she had to think of the negative possibilities as well, like: " what if she doesn't like my taste in music?" "What if she's actually not a she" "What if she's a or something?" "Why does she specifically wants to meet near the pier? Is she planning on pushing me there to kill me?" All kinds of possibilities.

"Chaeyoung. I finally have a date tomorrow. What should I do to leave a good impression on her?" Jeongyeon asked, without looking at her now-curled-up friend because her eyes are still fixed at the ceiling.

"Just don't be loser." A muffled response from her tiny friend.

"How about being kind?"

"No.. Not being a loser is more important."

Jeongyeon realized that Chaeyoung is now too sleepy to give her an efficient advice.. Actually, most of the time, her advice really is useless but Jeongyeon no longer see the point in wasting her time overthinking and decided to just leave it all to fate tomorrow.