Catching up

Sunsets and Coffees

Slumped on her couch, emotionally drained. The ginger head looked at her phone for the nth time, hoping for it to light up and see a response from a certain blonde. But it's been an hour now and none still came.

Mina should've known not to expect the blonde to still associate with her after being a when she's only trying to help, much more to consider her invite.. But there she is, still clinging to the possibility that maybe there's still a teeny tiny kindness in Jeongyeon left for her.

Mina is a prideful person, but she no longer think she can handle to be alone right now that even as simple as standing up feels like a difficult task. Everything's really crumbling down and she's slipping. Her family is in Japan, she's not close with any of her workmates, she doesn't have even a single friend and her boyfriend, the one she used to count on, already left her. Among the people in her contacts, aside from the suicide hotline, Jeongyeon's the only one she thinks who might be oblige to help.

She's aware that it would be wrong to ask for favors after what she had done to Jeongyeon, how she treated her last time. And she's aware that "sorry" is not gonna be enough to make it up to it nor any kind of reasons, but, if miraculously given a second chance, Mina swore to show her appreciation this time.

.

Yanking her out of her trance is an urgent knock. It was loud and continuous, forcing Mina to rush to the door.

Her assumption tells her that it's probably just the delivery guy with the pizza she ordered, while her desperate self wishes it to be Jeongyeon instead. Mina didn't bother checking the peephole anymore, and hastily opened her door finding out that her assumption is right, along with her granted wish.

Now standing in front of her is an intimidating Jeongyeon, arms crossed and looking at her piercingly, while beside her is the delivery guy feeling uncomfortable from the tension between the two girls.

Jeongyeon is not pleased to see Mina, and her face says it all. Mina on the other hand is struggling on whether she should apologize first or get on to her point already.

The blonde was about to open to speak but Mina beat her to it. "Thank goodness, you came!" Her voice is trembling. There was a hint of relief, but already on the verge of giving up. Soon, her tears threatening to fall, broke free at last, puzzling the delivery guy even more. Jeongyeon who came with the every intention of only asking where she got her number, and where she got the nerve to ask her for favors after using all her patience up last week, suddenly forgot what she came for.

Her rage was quickly replaced with concern. Seeing someone breakdown in front of her is just too much. It's one of her many weaknesses, even with people she intensly hate.

Knowing this meant another change of plans, she pinched the bridge of her nose.

"How much is that?" Jeongyeon whispered to the delivery guy.

"Ten dollars maam."

She handed the pizza guy ten bucks and took the box, then carefully lead Mina inside to let her sit and calm her erratic breathing.

"T-thank you, Jeongyeon. F-f-for coming."

Mina is still surprised. A normal person would know better than to associate again with people who treated them like , and fortunately for Mina, Jeongyeon is nowhere near from normal. She's kinder, more understanding and one of the most compassionate person you can imagine. She's way better than normal.

Although, Jeongyeon really came out of curiosity rather than kindness, that doesn't mean she's no longer willing to offer her aid. She took the inititative to go to Mina's kitchen to get a glass of water and give it to her. She then rubbed the sobbing girl's back in a circular motion and waited until she hushed down.

As she stopped crying, she observed how dull and empty her stares are, and how puffy her eyes had become. She was already sad when they met, but she's a lot worse today. Jeongyeon realized that she really can't leave her right now in her current state, because If she's the one Mina called for help, she probably didn't really had any other choice.

"I'm sorry." Mina started. Her voice is still weak, but stable this time "I'm sorry for asking you to come here so suddenly, and for crying, and most certainly for how I acted last week."

"Don't mind me. I'm good now." Jeongyeon smiled reassuringly. "Right now, let's focus on you instead. Wanna tell me what happened?"

Mina took a deep breath and held the glass close to her chest, readying herself as she recall the cause of her agony.

"Bambam." She began.

"Bambam?"

"My ex-boyfriend." Mina cleared."This morning, I went to his place, to talk to him hoping I could convince him to get back with me.

.

.

Mina was nervous but with a slight anticipation when she knocked on his door. She haven't seen him ever since the break up, so this whole week, Bambam's the only one she's craving to see.

She couldn't wait to get a glimpse of his face again. She was determined he'll get him back. She was confident she knew him well and so, she thought she knows how to persuade him.

'We've been together for more than 8 years, he won't just let all that go to waste, I'm sure of it.' Mina thought. But she thought wrong.

The door swung open revealing a tall girl in a red silk robe. Crossed arms and cocked eyebrows. With a feigned politeness, the girl asked "Is there something you need, miss?"

Mina had the idea of what's going on, but still decided to shove her assumptions in the back of her head. "Can I talk to Bambam?"

"He's still asleep." The girl said, curtly, without breaking her stare with Mina. But Mina saw the back of Bambam's head in his living room. He's clearly sitting on his couch, watching his favorite Saturday morning show.

She started feeling uneasy, she couldn't shrug what's bothering her any longer. And so, with a shaky voice and hope she isn't right, she asked. "W-Who are you anyway?"

"I'm his girlfriend. Who are you?!"

The girl kept talking, but Mina no longer heard the rest. Everything sounded muffled and her vision starts to blur. All she knows now is that her world is crumbling down. She lost her place in Bambam's life just like that and in just a short period of time. If she stood there any longer, Mina swore, her lungs would burst. She dashes out of the building not knowing where to go, but anywhere is now better than around him where she's no longer welcome.


.

.

Jeongyeon couldn't do anything but just look at Mina who was staring into space while fiddling her ring on her right index finger. Yes, She has a lot to say like, how unworthy he is, and how there's a lot of guys way better than him, but she knows it isn't as simple as that. Mina is already hurting a lot, and implying that she's dumb because she had wasted 8 years with him will only make it more unbearable for the girl.

Mina is bounded by the shackles that is the perfect image of Bambam she created. Of course, Jeongyeon would like her to get out of it now, but that wouldn't be possible and that isn't her place to do so. For her, the most effective ingredient in the process of healing is just time and the person healing itself. What Jeongyeon can do is to be her companion that believes and encourages during the process. Like what Donkey is to Shrek or what Appa is to Aang. That's what she's suppose to be.

Jeongyeon opened the box of pizza Mina ordered but paid by her, and took a slice to give. It's what she ate with Sana a while ago so she's still a bit sick of it. To break the deafening silence, Jeongyeon asked. "Where did you go after that?.. Oh and how did you get my number? Because I don't remember giving it to you last week."

"I got it from the white girl that works in the diner. I thought you knew each other since I saw you two bickering."

"Oh, Dahyun. Yeah she's my friend.

Mina then took a side glance to Jeongyeon, hesitating if she should tell her the other thing Dahyun told her. But In the end, she still told her.

"She also asked if I was one of your side-chicks."

Jeongyeon froze. She couldn't find the words to defend herself and she wasn't ready for this sudden coming out. She took a mental note not to pay the fries she owe and not to give Dahyun a christmas gift this year, before turning to Mina with an awkward smile.

"Please don't ask her for favors again." She covered her face with her hand in embarassment. "And also, if you're uncomfortable having a gay girl in your place, I'll leave now. I'm sorry for not telling you in the first place."

"No no! It's fine. I don't mind. I already had the idea from the start because of your getup. " Mina's head jerked up, as well as her hand, but immediately went back to being a withered plant. "And also, I really need your company. I couldn't trust myself alone with just my thoughts. So please."

"Alright. But I promise I really won't do anything to you. Dahyun always does that, making me look bad to others. I don't have side chicks, not a single one! The world already have a lot douches without my help, so why would I? That gi-"

"Okay!! You being too defensive just makes it more unconvincing, you know?!" Mina snapped, successfully stopping Jeongyeon from her babbling, but she immediately regretted it. She don't want to make the same mistake she did last week, especially Jeongyeon's the only one now who's willing to help her. The least she could do is to be kind.

"I'm sorry. My temper's gone out of control these past few days... This whole week, actually. After he dumped me.. But I know that's not reasonable, so I'll work on it better. I promise." Mina sighed. She's really lost right now, and she doesn't know where to start. All of her future plans had Bambam in it, and now that he's gone, she's back to square one. "This is why I have to start doing something to move on from him. Will you help me do it?"

Jeongyeon didn't quite understand what Mina just said and started blushing furiously. "Uh-I-I don't think w-we should. There-um There are lots of ways to get over him, you know? A-and I'm kinda involve now with someone. Plus, I never did it before so, I might just mess it up." The stuttering mess scoots away little from the Japanese.

Mina's face contorted out of confusion, but eventually understood what's going on. Out of frustration, she grabbed a bunch of her hair and shut her eyes tight. "Oh god, no! You ert! what I meant was help me go on with my life, like move forward. Ugh, What's with your mind?!"

Jeongyeon was still blushing, but out of embarassment this time. She'd like to run away now and never show herself to Mina ever again, but she couldn't just abandon the girl. In Jeongyeon's defense, it was getting late and she's getting tired for her brain to still function perfectly. And who wouldn't be flustered at that kind of thought involving the ravishing Myoui Mina?

Anyway, Jeongyeon may not have any experience in relationships, but she's confident she has enough knowledge about it to help. "If I knew you'd be needing my help moving forward, I could've made you a handbook of tips and inspirational quotes. That's what I always do to help my bestfriend whenever she's suffering from heartbreak, and it never failed us yet." Jeongyeon said, confidently, finally recovering from her mortification. "But I guess there's something we could still do even without it. Tell me, Mina, who are you without Bambam in your life?"

It's not the kind of thought she wants to think about right now, or rather, it's impossible to come up with something that doesn't remind her of him at this moment. Her wounds are still fresh and her hearts still screams his name. "I-I don't know. I got nothing. I don't know who I am. I guess, I'm really nothing without him."

"That's not true. You're quite y." She quipped, earning an elbow-jab on her ribs. Despite wearing a leather jacket, the pain still made her wince. Rubbing the area that been hit, she continued. "Okay I'll be serious now. But it's impossible to have nothing. There has to be something that doesn't involve him. Is there anything you enjoy? Like a hobby, or favorite food? I'm sure you have a favorite food atleast."

"Well, I like americano."

"Americano, huh?" Jeongyeon looked at her watch and it's quarter to midnight. Good thing it wouldn't be a problem to where she'll be taking Mina. "Then let's go to the coffee shop."

---

Jeongyeon was never a fan of caffeine because her anxiety is worse enough even without its help. But she always loved coffee shops. The peaceful ambiance, soft music, and the sweet aroma of pastries. A paradise for introverts, as Jeongyeon calls it.

It was truly fortunate for them to find a coffee shop just a block away because Jeongyeon's leather jacket was no match to the chilly autumn breeze, while for Mina, the cold midnight breeze just remind her even more of her now 'single' status.

They took the round table beside the store-front glass and sat across each other. Beside the store-front glass is Mina's favorite because she gets to judge everyone that are passing by, even though there's barely any people outside at this hour.

"Why didn't we just go to the diner where your friend works at? She could've given us discounts, and their americano isn't that bad as well." Mina asked.

"Bad idea. Have you forgotten she mistaken you as my side chick? Plus, she probably just made your coffee a little better because she finds you cute. Trust me, It's just one of Dahyun's tactics. I've seen it many times."

It's not like Dahyun is very dangerous, because she's her friend for a reason. But it's not like Mina is gay as well, and she's not gonna let Dahyun become just a rebound. They can be friends or more if they want to, but she's not fate to be the one to make it happen.

"So what do you want? Should I order an americano for you as well? Since you paid for the pizza, I'll pay this time" Mina stood from her seat.

"Nah. No caffeine for me." Jeongyeon scanned the menu from the counter, eyes squinted. "I'll just have a hot chocolate."

"Alright."

As Mina proceeded to the counter, Jeongyeon contemplated how she will actually help the girl. She made herself looked so confident as if she's some kind of expert in these type of things, when she doesn't even know what being heartbroken feels like. All she knew is that it always worked on her bestfriend.

When Mina got back, Jeongyeon spoke. "Since I'll be helping you with your "heartbreak treatment"" Jeongyeon gestured an air quote." Then we might as well, start considering each other as friends."

Friends. The word echoed in her mind. Mina can't remember the last time she had one, but the thought of having one somehow feels reassuring, and it isn't always like this. Normally, whenever her workmates tries to be friendly with her, the first thing that comes to her mind is their ulterior motives. And she was never wrong yet. They only approach her because it benefits them or they have a favor to ask later. With Jeongyeon, she isn't sure. She really couldn't see what the blonde might want from her, or she probably just couldn't point it out yet. Maybe it's because of Jeongyeon's smi- her desperation to ease the loneliness, but whatever it is, she needs to take whatever she can to prevent her life from crumbling down any further.

Mina answered Jeongyeon's proposal with a nod, before the waitress came with their drinks. The waitress was looking at Jeongyeon as if she's some kind of scrumptious meat, but the blonde wasn't looking. As she left, Mina noticed a piece of paper under the glass of her americano and As expectected, it was a scribbled number. She knew it was just mistakenly placed under her drink and it was really meant for Jeongyeon, but instead of giving it to her, she crumpled it without Jeongyeon noticing.

"So.. How exactly will you help me?" Mina asked.

"I have plans, but I can't guarantee that it will work 100%. All I can promise right now is I'll be there, by your side, as much as I can."

Jeongyeon's words were soothing, but her concerns were much stronger. Her job is the only thing she could think of that she has, now that Bambam is gone. She was out of focus on her work this week so She's afraid she'd function even more worse the following days.

"What if I suddenly breakdown on Monday at work? Will I be able to call you? Will you be able to come?"

"I wish I could. But I have a job as well, and you can't keep relying on me. I'm not your 24/7 shoulder to cry on. I'm helping you get back on your feet and become a stronger version of you. You see, the reason why you feel completely lost right now is because you relied everything on Bambam. Your happiness, your dream, your worth and your reason to function, thinking he took it along with him when he left. But you can find them again, you can find them within you this time, where it isn't bounded on something or someone that is temporary. I think, to start healing, you need to stop thinking as if you're ex is your other half and start acknowledging your individuality." Jeongyeon beamed at Mina and raised her cup suggesting a toast. "I believe in you, Mina. You'll get through this. And when you do, I know you'll be stronger, smarter, and braver, and I'll be the witness to that."

Mina didn't react to the toast nor to what Jeongyeon thought was an inspirational speech, but she couldn't blame her. It's not like you can tell a fresh wound to stop hurting and the pain will just magically disappear. But, Jeongyeon is determined that all the words she said to her, will resonate someday.

No one talk after that. Jeongyeon knew Mina needed to think for herself as well, to acknowledge that she's hurting. And she's starting to feel the exhaustion anyway. Her eyes are getting heavy and she had to stiffle a yawn every five minutes, so after finishing their drinks, they went back to Mina's condo.

Jeongyeon slumped on Mina's couch, like it was hers, as if she didn't had an intense hatred towards the owner, but Mina didn't mind one bit. Instead, she went to her room to get the girl an extra pillow and blanket, but when she returned, she found the blonde in deep slumber already.

She placed the blanket on top of her and lift her small but heavy head to put the pillow under it. Mina wanted to fix her position to prevent her body from aching when she wakes up, but she don't want to wake her up. Instead, she just stared the girl in its most innocent state. She made sure to pay close attention to every detail of Jeongyeon's facial features. Her little face, tall nose, prominent jawline, kissable pink lips, and her flawless skin, and there's not a single imperfection. Now, she no longer wonder why the waitress from earlier tried hitting on her.

But Mina knows she's more than just a pretty face. Behind her beautiful exterior is an even more beautiful personality. Nerdy, weird, awkward, but a person full of passion in helping people that are in need. Mina couldn't help but wonder how her heart would probably be at ease if it beats for the person infront of her instead.

---

In the coffee lounge, alone and vigilantly looking over her shoulders from time to time while making a cup of coffee for the editor she's assigned to, Jeongyeon felt a tap, making her jerk in surprise and is about to punch whoever that tapper was.

"Who the fu- oh!" She lowered her raised fist and straightened her formal shirt after realizing that it was just the Publisher's secretary, Momo.

Jeongyeon has always been paranoid whenever she's alone in the coffee lounge, after being cornered by her two drunk co-workers that was rumored to be crushing on her, on their last year's Christmas party. The two girls were aggressively strong that one of her buttons fell off due to the forceful grabbing. Fortunately, her Taiwanese and mushroom-head friend were just heading there for some reason, and so the harrassment was successfully averted. (Oh the struggles of being Yoo Jeongyeon.)

The blonde suddenly felt shy for over reacting and for startling the girl , and also feeling a bit awkward now that she's aware that she's also one of the people in the company that's crushing on her. Attempting to change the room's aura, Jeongyeon raised the coffee she just made for the editor, and offered it. "Coffee?"

"No thanks." Momo refused, but with a smile. "Ms. Park asked me to look for you. She wants you to come to her office if you're not too busy."

"Uh yah. Lemme just give this to Jinyoung first." She refered to the cup. "Thanks, Momo." She said, before exiting the lounge, not realizing she just made the girl blush at the mention of her name.

Her only task at the moment is just to make Jinyoung (one of the editors) a coffee, which she just did, so now, going to the office is what she must do next.

Upon entering the office, she casually walked to the armchair infront of the Publisher's desk and slouched. Even the editor-in-chief couldn't do that, only Jeongyeon does. It's one of the perks of being the Publisher's bestfriend. Also the reason why she don't put too much thought on what she wears at work. Like how she's currently wearing a sneakers when her overall is formal.

Jihyo, the boss/bestfriend of Jeongyeon, didn't react much to her arrival like it's the normaliest thing to do, instead she pushed the little bowl of gummy bears to offer to the blonde.

"What's up?" Jeongyeon began nonchalantly, legs crossed while reaching for the gummy bears.

"Oh nothing new happened to me.. But I believe, you do. Why didn't you tell me you're already dating?" Jeongyeon immediately perked up at the sudden and straightforward bringing up of the topic. But Jihyo is just being Jihyo, she don't beat around the bush.

The publisher's expression is visibly disappointed. Out of all people, she's the first one who should be knowing about this, but instead, she had to find it out about by herself.

"You're so unfair, Jeong. When did I ever kept a secret from you? And let me guess, Chaeyoung and Tzuyu already knew about this, don't they?" The guilt on the blonde's face is undeniable.

Ever since 7th grade, Jeongyeon's always been Jihyo's human diary. More than 75% of what happened or what's happening to her, Jeong knows it. Most of it are about her crushes and past relationship. Especially her heartbreaks, Jeong was her crying shoulder. And it really amazed her how the blonde (who were just brunette back then) can give very helpful advice without invalidating her feelings, when she never partake, nor got interested in romance.

Jeongyeon on the other hand, do also share her secrets to Jihyo, but it's only mostly about her family and the people she hates. She do share about her crazy admirers about how they annoy her or what crazy gifts she received, but never, not even once, about someone she likes.

Jeongyeon believed it wasn't betrayal for telling her other friends first since she was only waiting for a good opportunity, preferrably when her bestfriend isn't buried in work. But it's what her raven bob-haired friend is already feeling. Especially, Jeongyeon having a special someone is what she's been anticipating ever since.

"I'm sorry." Jeongyeon said, rubbing the back of her neck. "I wasn't really keeping it from you, I swear. But being the new publisher and having extra work, I don't want to bother you with something irrelevant like the happenings in my life. I know how serious you are about this being the heir of the company, and now that your dad has appointed you to a higher position, I'm sure you'll beat yourself up with even more work."

"I knew you'd say that." Jihyo sighed, massaging her temple. "You're right, I am a little stressed these passed few days, but Jeong, that won't stop me from fulfilling my duty as your bestfriend. Why do you always have to be so prideful?" Jihyo released another sigh and tapped the desk with her fingernail, filling the room with its sound. She's really frustrated how her blonde friend, even after more than 10 years of friendship, is still shy about asking favors or sharing her happenings. But more than that, she's really thankful for having a very considerate friend. She may be not as "cool" as the people prompting her to ditch her, but she knows she will never find someone as loyal and reliable as the dork sulking in regret infront of her. Jeongyeon may not be a perfect friend, but she's enough to consider herself lucky.

The thought made Jihyo's frustrations fade in an instant. "You know what, forget it. Just start telling me about that girlfriend of yours. Like, how did she manage to seduce the very stubborn Yoo Jeongyeon."

"She's not my girlfriend. Not yet atleast." Jeongyeon laughed.

Jihyo's eyes widened in disbelief. Did her bestfriend changed in the passed two weeks they didn't talk? She knew it isn't something the Jeongyeon she knew would do. "Yet you two sleeps together already? Or was I mistaken? Is your phone stolen or something?"

"I never even get to be with her after 7. Much more to sleep with her." Jeongyeon took her phone from her pocket slid it onto the desk. "And my phone is with me."

The bob-haired scrunched her chin and placed it on her balled fist. She knew how bad of a liar Jeongyeon is, so if she looked that lost, she's probably telling the truth. "I could've sworn I heard a girl's voice when I called you 4am yesterday. And I know that's not you because the voice was too lady-like to be yours."