Chapter 2

Please Let Me Go

Yoo Mi stirred. She could hear the beeping of the heart monitor next to her. Her eyes fluttered open to find Hyun Seung resting his head on the side of the bed. She winced as she struggled to sit up.

 

Hyun Seung woke when he felt the bed shift. He saw Yoo Mi's wince as she tried to sit up. Her face had become so pale. Her breathing was shallow, condensation barely formed on the oxygen mask on her face. The sparkle in her eyes seemed to have diminished. Her hair fanned around her small frame as she lay there.

"Yoo Mi-ssi, are you ok?" he asked. He got up after she motioned for a glass of water.

He held the straw to her lips and watched her struggle to take a sip.

"Hyun Seung-ssi, why are you here?" she asked. Even her voice was weak. Her light, resonant voice had become an inaudible whisper.

"I won't leave you. Ever. We may have just met, but I can't forget you. I'll protect you." he said with determination.

She chuckled lightly, "You're a fool. How are you going to protect me from my own body?"

 

Yoo Mi watched in amusement as he tried to find the right words to respond to her question. He's so sweet. She glanced out the window. Will I make it to winter?

"I meant that I'll keep you safe and make you comfortable." he finally said.

"Will I see the snow?" Yoo Mi wondered aloud, not hearing what he said.

 

"Of course you will. In fact, you'll see a lot of snow." he said loudly, trying to lighten up her mood. Hyun Seung gave her a smile as he pushed back the curtain, letting in the warm sunlight.

He looked over and saw that she had closed her eyes. The sunlight caught her tears as they fell down her face. She opened her eyes and stared at the ceiling.

"Why is the snow so important to you?" he asked.

 

Yoo Mi thought. Why did she like the snow so much?

"It's so magical. The first snowfall is so beautiful."

Hyun Seung slowly walked over to her bed. "We're almost the same age. Our birthdays aren't that far apart. You could just call me Hyun Seung, oppa's fine too.

 

"Excuse me, but can you please step outside while I check to see if she can be discharged?" asked a doctor in a white jacket.

Hyun Seung walked outside, pausing to take a look at Yoo Mi. When she heard the door click, she continued with what she was going to say.

"Yoo Mi, please be careful. Your condition is only getting worse. The attacks are getting closer together aren't they?"

"Doctor Soo, please let me leave the hospital! I don't want to stay here. If I'm going to die soon, can't I just be anywhere but here.

 

Hyun Seung stood outside the door listening to the conversation. He heard the doctor's footsteps near the door. He jumped back and acted as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened. When the doctor had exited the room, Hyun Seung all but ran up to her.

"Will she be ok?" he asked.

"You know well enough that she won't live long. Her heart is getting weaker and the attacks are happening sooner." Doctor Soo said grimly.

"How long...?" No matter how much he dreaded the answer, Hyun Seung felt the need to know.

"Two years if she's lucky and her condition doesn't worsen at a faster rate."

 

------------------------------------------------

Wah...I'm tired. -_- It's late right now. I want to sleep. So if this doesn't make much sense, sorry. I haven't proof read or edited any of this. I felt the need to update something. I'll probably update more after my exams when I have more time to think about it. Sorry for the lack of update. ><

Comment and subscribe! =D