prologue: love

ABANDONMENT
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Maybe these daffodils fall in love with each other as well, but then again they reproduce aually so we will never know, I guess," Luhan looked at the yellow flowers growing in the green grass he was sitting on. 

It was ten past 7, which meant Luhan could enjoy in peace the quietude for the next fifty minutes before classes started. 

If he had learnt something from being at that school, was that rich kids liked to think they owned the place. They always came at least ten minutes late in the morning. 

But to Luhan it made no difference. All he ever did was look at them and think how their lives must be so different from his. He didn't wish to have their lives but he just liked to think about it. 

"I'm Jongin."

Luhan suddenly looked up scared, as a boy with navy striped suit pants and a white collared shirt, sat next to him on the grass. 

It was fifteen past seven. No one ever came at that hour. Luhan was used to being alone.

"What's your name?" the boy asked smiling. 

"Luhan," he said slowly pronouncing each syllable of his name. After all, rarely anyone asked for his name.

"What are you doing here, Luhan?" 

Luhan looked at Jongin. At his eyes. Nose. Mouth. He didn't exactly feel safe with him, but he couldn't sense any danger either. So he decided to not walk away. 

"I sometimes come here before lessons to study,"  Luhan said. 

"You are an observer" Jongin looked at Luhan and smiled.

"What do you mean?" Luhan asked shocked at how fast Jongin had shaped their conversation. 

"You observe things. People, more specifically."

"Does that even make sense?"

"It is all about senses," Jongin said looking into Luhan's dark eyes, "You sense with your eyes and feel with your heart. Then you write what you feel on that black notebook you always carry with you."

Luhan would be lying if he said he was not surprised. His legs quivering, he started feeling colder, and he knew it wasn't because of the morning wind. It was because of the words Jongin was saying.

"I don't even know you," Luhan said, "This is the first time we ever spoke. The first time I ever noticed you."

"I like to be in the shadow," Jongin said looking at the light clouds forming shapes in the sky.

"If you say it's all about senses, then what is your sense?"

"Hearing," Jongin said, looking at him once again, "I sense by hearing sounds. Voices. Music. Anything."

There was a strange kind of melancholy carried in those words that led Luhan to feel a deep sadness in his heart.

"How does it feel for you then, to be able to feel through hearing?"

"It depends," Jongin thought about it for a second while he plucked a daffodil and carefully caressed it, "Can you feel the wind on your skin?"

Luhan nodded yes.

"Can you hear as the wind softly touches these flowers? It makes music and I feel calm as I listen to it."

Luhan was mesmerised hearing his new friend talking.

"What about you, Luhan. How does it feel to observe?"

"To be honest, I just realized now that it's true that I look at things and feel emotions in my heart by doing so. But I never thought about it."

"I have often seen you looking at a boy...I don't know him personally. But I think his name is Sehun. What do you feel when you stand and observe Sehun from a distance."

Luhan was shocked at this. He thought he was invisible.

"I have this feeling like... Love. I think it's called love," Luhan said, but he was having difficulty speaking these words aloud.

"Love?"

"Yes. I don't know what love means. But I know that's what I feel when I look at Sehun."

Jongin laughed lightly and suddenly crushed the daffodil he was so carefully holding, "Love is just a word. No one knows what love is."

"What does love mean to you, Jongin?"

"It means everything and nothing. It's just a feeling which has been given a four-letter word name. Sometimes I wish its concept and meaning was as easier as its spelling. But that's not h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter