Chapter 4

In This House

No matter what the adults say, children were not ignorant of the arguments between adults. They’re also not ignorant of the mood that the other members were trying to cover from them the moment they all arrived at the restaurant that Shindong had reserved. The man had notified the staff that they would be having over twenty people in attendance, in which, the owners acted quickly and set a private room for all of them.

Even after having late lunch and returning to the training rooms, the boys were still bothered by the atmosphere, and clearly, the other adults were trying their best in separating their father and Donghae. And they know for a fact that it involved them. Which really make it their business.

Which means they can meddle without care.

“If it was a normal squabble, they would have made peace long ago.” Shihyun said as they all sat in a circle.

Siyoung nodded. “Besides, if they’re still mad about something after all these years, then someone must have done something to the other that they can’t forgive.”

“Could it be that one of them sabotaged each other?” Suren wondered.

Seunghwan snapped his finger at Suren, “Hello, they’re members of Super Junior, their bonds are titanium. No one would have the heart to sabotage their fellow bandmates.”

“Or maybe someone sabotaged them to each other by spreading lies and kept it all to themselves.” Jongwoon asked.

“That could be a possibility, and we all know what Appa is like when he keeps to himself and not communicate his fears. Remember when Muti was—” Doyum found himself being silenced by his brother’s hand.

“Hey, no talking about my issue here!” Wumuti interrupted Doyum. When Doyum nodded in agreement, Wumuti released his mouth but not before hitting him lightly on the arm.

“Well, only one way to find out. Want to spy on their break?” Junseo offered.

Byeonghee rolled his eyes, “We would love to, but we promised that we needed to get the choreo of U and Doyum still has to choreograph the break dance.”

The kids were at a stalemate in the mystery, and so, they decided to return to their practice, placing the issue in the back burner for a while longer.

Shim Changmin was a man on a mission.

He didn’t know what happened, but Siwon asked him to move his practice day regarding one of the large training rooms because of their comeback concert practice, but why would he need two practice rooms to get things done? He agreed in the end, but that was beside the point!

He felt cheated, and for that reason, he will crash their practice!

Of course, Yunho tried to stop him, but he was also caught up with his own free time (stalking his ex Jaejoong on social media and Japanese shows), which made Changmin conclude that he is free to do what he wants.

That was how he found himself seeing nine teenagers dancing to ‘U’’s original choreography, something that he himself has not seen in years. When he entered the practice room, they didn’t even notice him, too into the dance routine that he recognized very well.

When the kids stopped dancing and one of them turned off the music, one of them spoke up. “Suren you’re lagging at the ‘I will make you mine.’ Your lag shows and we need synchronicity to pull it off.” He listed out. The shortest of them nodded in understanding, “Muti, I saw you slip after Junseo’s part. And Junseo? Don’t be so rough when you pull my hand down. It hurts.” He said the last part as a joke.

“Sorry.” The kid, Junseo, said with a laugh.  

When the young man was finished pointing out their pointers for improvement, he didn’t hesitate to clap as loudly as he can. He was no dance expert (that was Yunho’s job), but he knew talent when he sees one. They were all in sync it was refreshing to look at.

With the widening of their eyes, he concluded that he recognized him.

“Oh my god!” the tall boy with curly brown hair said as he covered his mouth with his hand. His reaction was followed with the other teenagers’ squeaks and gawks as they all stared at him standing by the door with his arms crossed on his chest.

“You’re all pretty good.” Changmin praised.

“Ch-Changmin-sunbaenim!” the older Chinese boy stared at him and all of them gathered their wits to greet him.

The man simply laughed at their shock, “No need to be formal with me. I hadn’t seen you here before. Yesung-hyung’s new trainees?”

“Ah, no…” the boys denied.

“We’re Hyukjae-seonsaengnim’s students in his dance studio, and he brought us along because he chose us to participate in their comeback concert…” Shihyun rescued. If the other members of Super Junior didn’t know about his fatherhood, then that would mean that Changmin was also out of the loop.

The man’s brow rose in surprise at the statement of the young man. “Oh? Eunhyuk-hyung’s students?” The nine nodded and proceeded to introduce themselves. “Wow. For him to produce good kids like you. I’m a bit jealous.” He said with a sigh. “I should have joined Kyuhyun and Ryeowook in teaching trainees.”

The boys laughed awkwardly. “What brings you here, Changmin-sunbaenim?” Wumuti asked.

“I was wondering why Siwon-hyung asked me if I could reschedule using this training room to tomorrow, saying that he needed the room for rehearsals. Imagine my surprise when I found out from his secretary that he booked two training rooms. Now I see he left this one for you guys.” He mused. “Not that I’m mad about it. I got to see you talented kids in exchange.” He said. “I noticed you guys were having a bit of trouble with U. Is it the first time you’ve heard of it?”

The boys nodded. “We were supposed to do two songs, and we were starting with U and ending with Black Suit.” Wumuti tried to explain.

Changmin whistled, impressed at their choice. “Ooh from boyhood to manliness.” He commented. “But from the looks of it, you just decided on the song today. Did you get to pick which part you’ll be singing?” when he saw the boys shake their heads, Changmin figured he had found the chance to kill time. Besides, he still has an hour before Yunho realizes that he had decided to crash someone else’s rehearsals.

“Do you want me to give you tips?” he offered. When the eyes of the nine teenagers brightened at the possibility (because, hello! This is Changmin of TVXQ offering tips!), Changmin couldn’t help but look forward into hearing their voices.

On the adjacent room, the adults continued to practice their sets.

Hyukjae sighed as the last notes of Shirt came to a close, a small smile gracing his lips. “Perfect.” He declared. “Break, ten minutes.”

The others sighed in contentment. Eunhyuk the slave driver is done with their run-through of the first set.

“Even at this time, you’re still stingy in formations, Eunhyuk-hyung.” Ryeowook complained as he sat down.

Hyukjae looked at Ryeowook amusingly, “We hadn’t been performing for a long time. It pays to get our bodies back in shape to refresh our muscle memory.” He stated. “Besides, I dance with my students all the time and I help my boys in practicing their routines when they need it.” he informed them. “It pays having a dance studio and students.”

“Please tell me you’re actually gentler in teaching children.” Sungmin pleaded. With how Hyukjae always looks like a slave driver in rehearsals, he really hoped so. Yesung may be the slave driver when it comes to vocals, but no one can come close to Hyukjae’s innate perfectionist side when it comes to dancing.

“Beginners, yes, but for kids like mine…” he moved his head to motion at the adjacent room’s door. “They know what they have to do to improve themselves.” He said proudly.

“Aish, you’re doing that proud father bragging like Sungmin does when it comes to Minji!” Kangin pointed out.

Sungmin shot him a dirty look, “Excuse me, my little girl is perfect!” he protested.

“So are my boys. What do you want to imply, Kangin? If you want kids then have them.” Hyukjae said, teaming up with Sungmin.

The other man joined in, “Yeah. Aren’t you just jealous that we’re experiencing the most wonderful part of our lives in raising our dear children?”

It was then when the man realized his mistake. He had triggered their fatherly side. “Hey! No need to team up on me!”

“It’s your fault to begin with, Kangin-hyung.” Donghae pointed out.

“Wow. The Dad’s Club was formed in a heartbeat.” Hangeng mused with Heechul snorting. Henry was cackling shamelessly at that.

“Then again, I am curious, how do you teach them?” Zhoumi dared ask.

The man in question simply stared at them, “I never pull my punches on my sons, I treat them like I treat all my students, and they adapted to it very well.” He stated simply.

Kibum then stood up, “Then that means they must be practicing without stopping.” He said as he made his way to the door to check on them to see if they hadn’t killed themselves yet by practicing.  The others followed them to peek at the kids, much to the father’s frustration. He wasn’t a harsh teacher, is he?

“We need to make sure they’re still alive. Or can move their legs.” Henry said, a little bit concerned now that they realized that the nine teenagers must have the work ethic of a Dance Machine on turbo mode.

When Kibum and Hangeng opened the door, they were in for a sight.

There at the middle of the room was Changmin, seated on a swivel chair, with nine teenagers looking at him with bright eyes with their phones on hand, listening and hanging onto his every word.

“Uh oh…” Kibum said.

Siwon looked at Changmin in shock. “What is he doing here today? I told him I rescheduled his use of the practice room to tomorrow.”

His husband gave him a look, “Do you really think Changmin will take this down lightly, Siwon?” Kyuhyun proceeded to smack his chest lightly.

“Please tell me he’s not planting world domination thoughts on their heads.” Hyukjae mumbled.

“With the way they’re listening to him? Let’s see.” Yesung said.

“Now, which one of you has high vocal ranges?” they heard Changmin asked them. Wumuti raised his hand awkwardly but his brothers pointed at him quickly. “Good! Can you do my high note part in Mirotic? See what we have to work on. If any of you messes-up Yesung-hyung’s part, he might sacrifice you to whatever god he’s worshiping to keep his youthfulness.”

“That rumor is real?” Seunghwan asked.

Yesung heard that and glared at the man’s back. It seems that Kyuhyun and Ryeowook were not the only ones responsible of spreading rumors about him.

Changmin simply shrugged. “Who knows? Now, Wumuti, you prepare for the high notes, and Junseo, can you do me the honors of doing Yunho-hyung and Yoochun-hyung’s rap parts?” Changmin instructed as he adjusted the time on his phone which has the instrumental version of Mirotic on it. The two mentioned teenagers stood up to prepare.

Junseo started to do the rap, “Together with one time’s kiss, the day is fresh, a strong pull. The second kiss, your heart felt hot and about to explode. Yeah I got you. You know you got it.

And in that instant, the entire room was silent as the teenager belted up a high note that no one but his father and siblings had expected from him. They only found out about his high note achievement when they had a Shuffle Summer Event with the Hi-Vocal Music School Elite Class and the Dynamic Duo Training Camp’s Star Campers last summer. To be honest, he always did have the highest vocal ranges after puberty. Wumuti, Seunghwan and Byeonghee did well with the other members from Solji and the Dynamic Duo’s students.

But to think that he was this powerful and was able to belt up a high note that would be enough to impress Changmin was stellar.

“Yeah oh!” Wumuti ended his high note the moment the song went on to the ad-libs.

His brothers did the ‘Come on! Come on!’ lyrics afterwards for fun.

“Uwah~ Muti you’re still great as always!” Doyum praised while his brothers clapped at him in awe.

“I called it! I knew he still has it and it was not a fluke onstage!” Byeonghee boasted.

Wumuti was a bit flustered and started bowing at his brothers, and lastly at Changmin, who was smiling from ear to ear and watching him with delight. “Ah I want to cry in happiness that a trainee is strong enough to do this!” he said as he shook his head fast while covering his face to try to hide his amusement. “You’re now my favorite out of all Eunhyuk-hyung’s students!”

Wumuti tried to fight the blush that crept on his face, but found himself unable to and simply sat down and hid his face on his nearest brother—Byeonghee’s arm.

“Well, now we know that he has a chance in singing Yesung-hyung’s high notes in Black Suit for your performance!” Changmin stated. “Speaking of Black Suit, did you know that they had some clips of them doing adlibs to pull off the auction scene and the words? Let me tell you, the way Donghae-hyung and Eunhyuk-hyung flirted and did a roleplay with Head Security Man and Appraiser. There was also that scene where Leeteuk-hyung started bidding the members starting at one million Won.”

That little tidbit got the attention of the nine teenagers. It seems that Shim Changmin knows a lot of things regarding their father and Donghae. And the word ‘flirt’ alerted them well. Changmin might have done it unconsciously, but he did them a great service.

“Now, you mentioned that Wumuti did this before?” Changmin asked, shifting to a new subject, not noticing the gleam in the teenagers’ eyes.

Shihyun nodded. “We participated in the Shuffle Summer Event for the Performance Dance Studio last summer. We got into shuffle units there and Muti, Seunghwan and Byeonghee were in a group where they sang Mirotic.”

Changmin’s brow rose. “Oh? Do you still have the video?”

“Our moms do, but Byoenghee’s moms’ cameras have the highest quality and best footage. One of his moms is a skilled camerawoman.” Jongwoon supplied.

“I have it on my phone.” Byeonghee informed him. “I’ll show it later.”

“’Moms’?” Changmin wondered.

Byeonghee nodded. “I have two moms. Lesbian couple.”

“Wow. That’s amazing. You must have all the fun in the world with two moms being supportive of your idol endeavors.” Changmin mused. He was about to say something more when they all heard a voice at the adjacent door.

“If you’ve already had enough of playing with my students, Shim Changmin, care to tell us your purpose of dropping by?” Hyukjae called out to him with amusement.

Changmin turned around with a big smile on his face as he stood from his chair and embraced Hyukjae for all he was worth, “Hyukkie-hyung!” he screamed. “I was planning on crashing rehearsals, but when I saw how your students worked hard, I couldn’t help myself but to act like Yunho-hyung, minus the passion.”

“Well, you’ve met my nine kids.” Hyukjae turned to his sons, “It’s alright. He can be in on the secret.”

Changmin raised a brow, “Secret? What secret?”

The nine sighed in relief. “I was afraid I was going to slip at one point.” Suren said. “Appa, can you give us a list of the people you want to let in on our secret?”

“Hello, still confused?” Changmin wondered.

Jungsoo decided to pull him out of his curiosity, “They’re Eunhyuk’s biological kids.”

Changmin froze. He then looked from Hyukjae to the nine teenagers, “Kids? As in, biological?” Hyukjae could only nod. “But then…what about you and…”

“It’s a long story.” Hyukjae stopped him from slipping information.

“Aish Hyung you ladies’ man you! How did you hide it for twenty years?!” Changmin complained. “And you even issued a gag order until further notice to the nine boys—which I completely understand, by the way—towards me!”

“If anything, he didn’t tell us until we cornered him last week.” Heechul spilled.

“I didn’t know I had kids until three years ago, so there.” Hyukjae ended.

The adults continued to bicker, but one thing was on the nine teenagers’ minds.

Hyukjae and Donghae had SOMETHING.

After a tiring day with the practice and Changmin’s arrival and spoiling the nine teenagers rotten, they all managed to return to their flat in Seoul at around ten, since they needed to be careful about the under-aged ones from Junseo to Jongwoon.

Hyukjae was the most drained of them all, having to deal with his over-excited members plus Changmin on his day. He thought he would get tired on juggling his kids and his rehearsals, but it turned out his boys were the least of his problems.

After sending the boys to clean up and head to bed, Hyukjae lied on his own, too burned out. He never thought his normal work three years ago could be so tiring now that he is a former idol. He really was starting to let himself go.

He was about to give into sleep when his phone vibrated with the tone of their group messenger. When he looked at the screen, he saw that Yesung started the alert. Curious on what he has to say, he decided to open the chat to find that most of his ex-members are online.

Hyukjae sighed. He knew that Yesung would recognize their potential, but Siwon too? He didn’t give his kids too much credit then.

Sighing and giving up on his fate, he decided to just sleep on it before talking to the boys during breakfast. He would have more energy and a straight mind then.

Unknown to him, his kids will be early birds to talk about one thing: his love life.

TBC

Managed to finish this at almost 2AM today. Whew~ glad that’s over and done with. And to think I gained more subscribers! I love you guys~! I never thought this would catch your eyes enough to subscribe!

Now! Changmin appears! I really can’t do any of my prototype fanfics back in the day without sliding in Changmin. He was my vocal crush back in 2009, like, damn that high note and his voice gives me life.

I hope you like this chapter!

See you again soon for Chapter 5!